Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NAQT Missouri Qualifier at Missouri S&T - 2/21/09

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The Missouri University of Science and Technology Academic Competition Organization would like to invite you to the 2nd Annual NAQT Missouri Qualifier, to be held on our scenic campus in Rolla, Missouri on February 21, 2009.

This tournament is affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournament to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the college format. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each, and if answered correctly are followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. We will be including powers and negs, and following the official NAQT rules found at http://www.naqt.com/rules.html with the exception that games will not be timed.

The questions for this tournament will be provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments. This tournament is intended to qualify teams for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be held May 29-31, 2009 in Chicago, Illinois, though all teams are invited to compete regardless of whether they intend to advance to national competition. The top 15% of the field will qualify for the NAQT HSNCT; more specific information on qualifying can be found at http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html. Pending affiliation, this tournament will also be a qualifier for the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship (PACE NSC), to be held May 23-24, 2009 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, and the top two or four teams (depending on final field size) will qualify.

The field is currently limited to the first 24 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $55
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $50
Moderator discount: $5 discount for each competent moderator your school brings
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Buzzer borrowing discount: $5 discount if we have borrowed your buzzer for an intercollegiate event
Alumnus discount: $5 discount if your school has an alumnus on the Missouri S&T team
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before January 21, 2009
The minimum entry fee is $25 per team.

Formalities:
To sign up for the tournament, please email me, Matt Chadbourne, at mwchadbourne at gmail dot com, and include the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing. Registration will begin at 8:00. We will have a short meeting at 8:50, and the first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri S&T ACO webpage (http://web.mst.edu/~cbowl) and on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board ([url=http://www.moquizbowl.com)]http://www.moquizbowl.com)[/url]. Both will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this February and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Matt Chadbourne
President, Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Current field: 8 teams registered as of 12:00 am 2/5/09

Clayton
Dixon
Fordland
Ladue
Helias
Mehlville
North Kansas City
Savannah

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Just a reminder that the early-registration deadline is in ten days.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

How would registering after that deadline affect us? I can't imagine that you guys will run out of spots...

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

No effect on your ability to register; it just saves you five dollars.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

How would the 15% rule for NAQT work on this size of a field? As of now, assuming we attend, the top 15% would be the top 1.2 teams--does that round up, or is it just the winner which would be able to go to HSNCT?

If the latter, what's the cutoff for 2 teams--1.5 * (1/0.15) = 10 teams?

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Seems to me that NAQT always rounds up. I could be wrong though.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

NAQT policy is to round up. However, I have good reason to think there are a few more teams planning on signing up.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I think so too--we're planning on probably bringing two teams.

I did want to make sure, though. So, even if only 14 teams came, 3 (0.15 * 14 = 2.1) teams would qualify?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yes, NAQT rounds up, and yes, 14 would be the minimum number needed for NAQT to hand out a third bid.

Also, field updated.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Current field: 10 teams registered as of 12:45 pm 2/12/09

Clayton
Dixon
Fordland
Francis Howell Central (2)
Ladue
Helias
Mehlville
North Kansas City
Savannah

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Did we officially register 2 teams? I know that I informally told you we were bringing them, but that wasn't official information...

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

I'm still trying to convince Coach Z-Diddy that this is worth the effort, she isn't relishing the thought of a repeat of the last Rolla tournament, and I can't blame her. But I want to attend every tournament possible, especially when it may be our only chance to get a peek at Ladue. If she doesn't contact you this weekend (we're off tomorrow), I have hopes that we'll still make it.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Charbroil wrote:Did we officially register 2 teams? I know that I informally told you we were bringing them, but that wasn't official information...
Yes.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

WillHack wrote:...she isn't relishing the thought of a repeat of the last Rolla tournament, and I can't blame her.
Out of curiosity, why is this?

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Well, it's a decent drive and we left in a cramped automobile feeling like we failed. We lost some games we would have won if our best players had been there, and it was just a long, tiring downer. It looks like we'd bring a similar team to this one, and the field might be considered even harder.

Don't get me wrong, I'd much rather lose every other game than not play at all, but I gotta say that it wasn't the most fun we've had all year.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

this is looking like a more difficult field by the second

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

are we the only small school there, or is dixon small enough by naqt standards?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

NAQT's definition is less than 500 in grades 10-12; Dixon's 9-12 enrollment is 317 so they are definitely small enough. But I believe you do have to finish in the top half of the field to qualify.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Feb 15 2009, 02:07:46 PM.</div>

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i knew about the top half of the field requirement and the 500 students grades 10-12, but i didn't know how to find dixon's enrollment
so
yeah
thanks

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

There are lots of school fact pages you can find using google that cover all that stuff.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I've heard that more teams have signed up but the post isn't edited. Is it still just 10 teams?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The field has grown to 14 teams, and is likely final:

Clayton
Dixon
Fordland
Francis Howell Central (2)
Ladue (2)
Helias
Mehlville
Parkway Central
Parkway West (2)
North Kansas City
Savannah

Also, I've heard some scattered reports of people planning to come moderate, and would appreciate hearing some more definite answers.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:The field has grown to 14 teams, and is likely final:
Awesome - at least 3 teams will qualify now (assuming nobody drops out, of course).

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah...and also, are we still doing the round robins? A 13 game round robin (and possible final match) seems a bit much...especially seeing as how my team is on the verge of revolting as is.

And what's the average round length going to be? I told them ~30 minutes, to quell fears of an overnight stay (they weren't really worried about it...much :D ).

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Jeff and I agreed that a 13-game round robin isn't ideal, so we'll likely be doing preliminary pools of seven teams each. The top four teams from Pool A will then play the top four from Pool B, etc. 10 rounds; teams in the top eight will play nine games and teams in the bottom six will play eight.

25-30 minutes per round sounds about right, so playoffs and awards should be completed by 4 at the very latest.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Matt posted pretty much the same thing while I was typing this, but here it is again.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we will not be doing a 13-game round robin. I believe we're going to split the field in two pools of 7 and then do some kind of crossover playoff. Something like the top 4 teams from each bracket will make the upper bracket to play for the championship; the other 6 will be in another bracket to get more playing time. In each bracket, you'll only play teams from the other preliminary bracket (so, 4 more games) - this would result in 10 games (9 for the teams in the lower bracket), and the top 8 teams will have each played each other. This results in a decent but not too exhausting number of rounds for everyone, and allows a larger number of teams to be in the running for the championship.

These rounds should definitely not take any more than 25-30 minutes as long as the rooms stay under control. Basically, if you want to get out at a decent hour, don't talk between questions - even a little talking between questions really does add a significant amount of time to the tournament.

--edit-- Oops, my math was wrong too; it is 10/9, not 11/10. 7 team pool requires 7 rounds but each team only gets 6 games, and playing all 4 teams from the other bracket is 4 rounds and 4 games (3/3/3 for the lower bracket).

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Feb 17 2009, 03:58:55 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Actually, I think my math was wrong also. 11 rounds total. Teams in the top eight will play 10 games; teams in the bottom six will play 9. Still, we should be done by 4.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Okay, thanks. I'll forward this to my coach--hopefully, this will quell any potential revolts. :D

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

With the addition of Richland, we are now at 15 teams, and the field is no longer open to new entries.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

What kind of format can we expect?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote:What kind of format can we expect?
Prelim pools of 8 and 7 teams; top 4 in each advance to the championship bracket; remaining teams move to consolation bracket. 11 rounds; all teams will play 10 games with the exception of the four teams that advance to the championship bracket out of the 8-team prelim bracket, which will play 11.

Basically the same as above, except one of the prelim pools will now have 8 teams instead of 7.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Ok, I've now gotten negative responses from my first 6 options to fill the 4th chair on our team. I'm spmewhat confident that we'll be able to put someone there, even if it's a jv player like the last Rolla tournament, but just to clarify: is it acceptable to play the tournament with just the 3 of us? We can put a rock in that last chair, if that makes it better.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

WillHack wrote:...but just to clarify: is it acceptable to play the tournament with just the 3 of us?
Yes.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

NKC last year won a tournament with only 3 players, and int he past have gone to Rolla tournaments with not-full teams, so yes, I'd think you can show up with only 3.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

WillHack wrote:We can put a rock in that last chair, if that makes it better.
Just don't use a picture of Chuck Norris - as our Div II SCT 06 experience showed, you will lose every game Chuck plays.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Ok, I just didn't know if there was a NAQT rule against it or something.

My sophomore year, we won JV Two Saints with just me, Jason, a rock and a backpack. : )

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Unlike certain organizations, NAQT doesn't impose stupid rules like that.
NAQT Rule D.2 wrote:A team consists of any number of players who meet all eligibility rules. However, no more than four of a team's players may be actively competing at any one time. Teams may play short, with a minimum of one player.
Full NAQT Rules, if you're interested

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Will the games be timed? o.O

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

WillHack wrote:Will the games be timed? o.O
No. Each game will have 20 tossups.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

WillHack wrote:Will the games be timed? o.O
No, they will not be timed.

Running tournaments on the clock is debatable. It's good for keeping the tournament on track, and potentially getting to hear more than 20 questions, but it also leads to some inconsistencies, especially if one room has a slow moderator who is only able to get through 15 (or even fewer) questions.

We will have an experienced staff moderating, so the tournament should not take too much longer than if it were timed. In fact, I will actually be one of the least experienced moderators in terms of how long I've been reading; I only started moderating in tournaments a year ago. Which leads me to a suggestion - everybody should moderate as much as they can, whether it be at tournaments or practices. My inexperience definitely showed when I read at the Terrapin mirror last year, but because I've been reading quite a bit recently, I am so much more efficient now, even when I have to keep score myself. You just have to get used to it.

--edit-- grammar

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Feb 18 2009, 06:52:36 PM.</div>

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Given the new entry to this field, how are you going to be organizing the tourney now?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Charbroil wrote:Given the new entry to this field, how are you going to be organizing the tourney now?
DeckardCain wrote:Prelim pools of 8 and 7 teams; top 4 in each advance to the championship bracket; remaining teams move to consolation bracket. 11 rounds; all teams will play 10 games with the exception of the four teams that advance to the championship bracket out of the 8-team prelim bracket, which will play 11.

Basically the same as above, except one of the prelim pools will now have 8 teams instead of 7.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Sorry--I accidentally skipped over the block of posts after the announcement of Richland.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

DeckardCain wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:What kind of format can we expect?
Prelim pools of 8 and 7 teams; top 4 in each advance to the championship bracket; remaining teams move to consolation bracket. 11 rounds; all teams will play 10 games with the exception of the four teams that advance to the championship bracket out of the 8-team prelim bracket, which will play 11.

What about finals? There is a non-zero possibility that there is no determined winner using this format, and I would really like to see NAQT state use the best possible format. Given that there are 15 packets, I don't see it as at all unreasonable to play an ACF-format final if there is no team that clears the field outright, since there should be 4 unheard packets and at absolute most 2 of them will be needed.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I mean, I think it goes without saying that we're not going to let NAQT State end with the same mark of shame as the 2002 MLB All-Star Game. If we need a final, we'll play one.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Alright, that's reassuring to hear.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Schedule time!

Pool A:
1 Richland
2 Clayton
3 Francis Howell Central A
4 Mehlville
5 Helias
6 Ladue B
7 Parkway West B
8 Savannah

Pool B:
1 Parkway West A
2 Fordland
3 Francis Howell Central B
4 North Kansas City
5 Ladue A
6 Parkway Central
7 Dixon

Have a safe trip, everyone.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

*sigh* Sad that we have a bye again . . . bad luck.