Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NAQT Sectionals at WUSTL tomorrow

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

If there's anyone in the STL area with no plans tomorrow, NAQT's collegiate Sectionals will be going on at Wash U. http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=7070

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yes, there will be lots of good teams, and the questions they use should be decent exposure to higher level quizbowl for any of you high schoolers wanting to learn more or continue playing in college.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

While sadly no high schoolers I know of showed up to watch what was a really enjoyable tournament, it might be of some interest to you readers of the Missouri board that not only were regulars here like Matt Chadbourne, Alex Dzurick, Kent Buxton, and myself, but other alums of Missouri high schools such as Amanda Krus, Ryan Stander, Deven Halcomb, Lauren Miles, Evan Kaiser, Nathan Golden, and holder of some comedically high district scoring record last year/state champion Dave Westrich were playing in the tournament. Stats to browse are here. Division 1 was won by The University of Illinois over Chicago, and division 2 was won by University of Chicago over the University of Missouri. Also, I forgot to note it but Chicago's high scorer is the same Shantanu who was the high scorer on the Walt Whitman team that won the PACE national Scholastics Championship last year.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... enaziCD</a>, Feb 8 2009, 03:15:43 AM.</div>

KentB

Post by KentB »

I had a lot of fun at this tournament. If only we had the depth and clutch to pull out the key wins. However, I am content in leading the Illinois team that won by 15 going into the final tossup of that game, even if it was because of a neg-cascade. I suppose the other highlight was leading Chicago by 40 at the half without dealing with a neg train. Even though our record wasn't great, I never felt like we weren't good enough to at least put up some sort of fight... which is a nice feeling. Congrats to Jason Loy for putting up a winning solo record and displaying pretty deep knowledge across the board. Congrats also to Charlie and Mizzou for the second place finish.

Overall, I felt the questions were reasonable. After practicing lately on NAQT SCT DI sets from the early 2000's, it was nice to see a lot of the major problems from those questions fixed in this year's set. While it was not a flawless set by any means, it was at least a step in the right direction.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Is Jimmy (Northwestern) Jimmy Li from Parkway Central?

It looks like you all did well. I thought about going over there, but I had statistics consulting to do for Lindenwood University.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Jimmy Li transferred to Harvard. In any case, he quit quizbowl.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

That's sad.

You didn't, perchance, convince the WashU people to post the WUHSAC scores while you were there?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, they were busy running a tournament and that isn't anything I think about.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

*snap*

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Woo, bids for the ICT released today!
Division 1
Division 2
It looks like Wash U is the only Missouri team with a Division 1 bid (by virtue of their auto-bid for hosting), but in Division 2 it looks like both us at Mizzou and Wash U qualified teams. This is exciting stuff.