Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Identification policy stuff

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I don't know, but I thought you might want to know that you're supposed to put information identifying who you are (name and current team) in your signature.

jceeit

Post by jceeit »

Done. I really don't understand why that's necessary.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

It's so people know who you are when you post. I don't think that's too much to ask.

jceeit

Post by jceeit »

I just am not that comfortable putting that specific information on the internet.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey, we are all real people as part of a real life community that meets to play a real life game, not an anonymous mishmosh of internet people making up an internet community. As such, it seems to be nothing but eminently reasonable to be open with everyone else about who you are and what your connection/affiliation with quizbowl is. This does not mean "J,PHHS," but instead whatever it is your name is and expand the acronym (presumably to Park Hill High School), and as long as you don't practice this same openness, don't be shocked when people ask you to do that (especially when it's a board rule, for god's sake).

jceeit

Post by jceeit »

My only problem is that other people can view this, and that I am using an alias I use elsewhere on the internet. So I am going to apply for a Username Change to resolve that specific conflict, now let me think of a new username.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... >jceeit</a>, Feb 8 2009, 01:07:55 AM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Hey, we are all real people as part of a real life community that meets to play a real life game, not an anonymous mishmosh of internet people making up an internet community. As such, it seems to be nothing but eminently reasonable to be open with everyone else about who you are and what your connection/affiliation with quizbowl is.
The reason why we require this policy is to hold people accountable for what they post. If we have a bunch of nameless people spouting out whatever they want, such as talking trash about other teams, this board can become unproductive. I'm not saying that this board was a complete mess before we enacted this policy, but when names are attached to all posts, it makes people think twice about what they post. As Charles said (quoted above), because this is a real-life activity where we will potentially meet at a tournament, it is completely reasonable for us to require you to provide this information.

Also note, signatures are only viewable to members.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:Also note, signatures are only viewable to members.
Umm... this is supposed to be the case but apparently isn't... while it doesn't appear with posts when signed out, it shows up in the user profile no matter what. Good job Zetaboards...

jceeit

Post by jceeit »

I'd never even heard of zetaboards before coming here, usually people use phpbb or if they have money vbulletin. You can probably alter the code not to display signatures on the profile, but members couldn't see them their either.