Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Quick Links

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I have been tinkering with the quick links below the board logo to be able to handle more links. I'd like to know what you think would be most helpful for people to find things quickly. (Note: if javascript is disabled on your browser, you will not see these links) Currently, it has three primary links (hsquizbowl.org, MSHSAA, and MACA) with a fourth "more" catch-all for everything else.

Would it be more helpful to change it to a categorized menu and have relevant links in each menu? Something like:

General (hsqb, MACA, MSHSAA, MOQBA, etc.)
Tournaments (MACA list, hsqb tournament database, HSNCT, NSC, etc.)
Questions (reputable providers, archives, etc.)
Stats (SQBS, SQBS hosting, Byko ratings, etc.)

What do you all think?

-edit- additional link suggestions are also welcome.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Jan 26 2009, 04:45:02 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

Quick Links

Post by DeckardCain »

I voted for choice 6, but I definitely like the menu idea.

Charbroil

Quick Links

Post by Charbroil »

I voted for choice two, but more importantly (in my mind), is there any reason that my "search," "members," "calendar," etc. functions are buried behind the white border around "Missouri Academic Competition Message Board-->Academic Competition," etc.?

DeckardCain

Quick Links

Post by DeckardCain »

Charbroil wrote:I voted for choice two, but more importantly (in my mind), is there any reason that my "search," "members," "calendar," etc. functions are buried behind the white border around "Missouri Academic Competition Message Board-->Academic Competition," etc.?
This isn't the case on my computer; what browser are you using? Is anyone else having this problem?

FZW Coach

Quick Links

Post by FZW Coach »

Choice 2 would be very helpful.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Guess I should have checked it in IE while I was on campus, since that's where I was when I finally got the submenu CSS to work. Now to wait for my 7 year old laptop to load the page...

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Good old Internet Explorer... the dropdowns when you mouse over Preferences and Inbox don't show up in IE 6, so naturally my dropdowns don't either. It's possible that my settings are messed up, but it's probably just IE being IE. I will agree that good browser compatibility is more important than the presence of these links, so I will definitely make sure that any changes I make show up acceptably in IE, Firefox, and Safari.

[status as of 18:50 - works fine in Firefox 3 and Safari 3, IE 6 works somewhat with a javascript workaround and all text is in the correct place]

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Jan 26 2009, 06:52:08 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Charbroil wrote:I voted for choice two, but more importantly (in my mind), is there any reason that my "search," "members," "calendar," etc. functions are buried behind the white border around "Missouri Academic Competition Message Board-->Academic Competition," etc.?
Is this still happening for you? What browser are you using?

They just installed IE 7 on the campus computers and while the dropdowns don't appear quite in the right place, the search/members/etc links are where they are supposed to be.

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

OK, I've applied some javascript to fix the appearance in IE. It now looks roughly the same in IE7 as it does in browsers that actually comply with industry standards. If the changes are still causing problems for you, please let me know, but all major modern browsers should work fine now.

Charbroil

Quick Links

Post by Charbroil »

Umm...I'm using Firefox 3, and I still have the same issue.

It's not really all that important, but it's just a trifle odd. Like I said, it's the "search," "members," etc. items on the right which are buried behind the white part of surrounding the "Missouri Academic Competition Message Board---> Etc., etc," not the new dropdown menus--those are fine.

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Charbroil wrote:Umm...I'm using Firefox 3, and I still have the same issue.

It's not really all that important, but it's just a trifle odd. Like I said, it's the "search," "members," etc. items on the right which are buried behind the white part of surrounding the "Missouri Academic Competition Message Board---> Etc., etc," not the new dropdown menus--those are fine.
Very odd... it shows up perfectly fine for me in Firefox 3 on Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu.

If I understand you correctly, the blue bar where all the links are supposed to be is there, and the hsquizbowl/MSHSAA/MACA/more links show up there correctly, but the search/members/etc. stuff shows up further down on the page than it is supposed to? Has it always been this way or only since I added the "More" menu?

Charbroil

Quick Links

Post by Charbroil »

That's more or less it--I'm fairly sure it was after you after you added the "More" tab, though I didn't notice until more recently.

Incidentally, I can still see the top of those links, and I can access them if I highlight them (so that they show through the white part).

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm really curious why this is happening for you. I've temporarily removed the links themselves but the javascript that adds the placeholder for them is still intact; does it still show up wrong?

Charbroil

Quick Links

Post by Charbroil »

They show up perfectly now. :blink:

Jeffrey Hill

Quick Links

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I sent you a PM to continue the investigation that way.

--edit--
I've copied the page HTML and moved the bug investigation to that copy, so I've re-added the more menu. I've decided to go with a hybrid - the three main links, plus the more menu, which has categorized submenus. It appears to work fine in Firefox 3, Safari 3, and IE 6. If anybody has technical issues with it, please let me know. Also, if there are any useful links I have not included please feel free to suggest them.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Jan 30 2009, 10:13:17 PM.</div>