Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Interest for a Truman State Tourney (3/28/2009)

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
KentB

Post by KentB »

Discuss here. Questions would be from a reputable source of some sort. I haven't discussed this seriously with the rest of the organization, but I'm going to make this happen anyway if the date works out for teams.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I talked to Coach Gibbs, and apparently this is the date of Conferences, not the 14th. Thus, if you want us and FZW there, this date isn't going to work. How's the 21st instead?

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Dec 1 2008, 03:56:46 PM.</div>

KentB

Post by KentB »

3/21 is Lexington's tournament...which would affect our draw.

Questions for this will be from HSAPQ if it happens.

I'm going to talk to the organization about it tonight at our meeting.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

3/21 would also conflict with the Fake ICT weekend. 3/28 is Buzzerfest weekend, but there is no midwest mirror of that announced. Other March tournaments that are more uncertain are the Minnesota Undergrad tournament, Illinois Novice, and perhaps Rollapalooza (when is that going to be announced?).
I would say that it looks like the 28th is in fact the best date to pick.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote:perhaps Rollapalooza (when is that going to be announced?).
Hopefully soon. I'm working on a couple of different options.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

So...any news about this?

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

I know that John Scogs was considering hosting a Eureka tournament, and it would be around this weekend too (last weeks of March, first weekend of April).... hm... we may need to reschedule that. >_>

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Post by wldcat_blldog »

I'm still mulling over a date. Spring break for Rockwood is from March 13 through March 22.

KentB

Post by KentB »

We are definitely hosting on this date. Sorry for the delay. I will get a full announcement up ASAP but expect this to happen.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Hank will be in with the full announcement soon. The tournament will be held on 3/21/2008 on HSAPQ questions formatted to MSHSAA rules. I know that we may lose some teams to the Lexington tournament, but I hope that this unique combination of great questions with the local format will really draw teams to try out good quiz bowl.

We would have lost the STL schools by holding it on 3/28 due to the conference meet and I figure we might have a better chance of pulling a few serious teams away from crappy-question land than cutting out a few teams all together.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Any chance of large and small schools playing each other? Julia really, really, really wants to attend. I think she has mentioned it at every practice since October.

I would like to be able to do what we did her freshman year. We had her and a freshman only team compete against a good amount of small schools. Our other two teams competed against the large schools. I know she finished 4th individually in that division and our varsity team finished 2nd, losing to Kirksville in the finals (the story of my life). The questions were well written. It was run in MSHSAA format, and we improved quite a bit. We like to call that weekend "The Drew King Coming Out Party." He had not scored much all season but finished 5th individually with Teri finishing 2nd. We were able to use that tournament as a boost to go onto our 4th place state finish.