Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

District Assignments

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
MJones

District Assignments

Post by MJones »

Does anyone know when MSHSAA does the district assignments? I'm just curious. Our schools district (C3D5) has always been weak; last year there were only four teams.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

District Assignments

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think they are released in the middle of January.

MJones

District Assignments

Post by MJones »

Awesome, thank you. :p

DIoanis

District Assignments

Post by DIoanis »

Do any of you know how the sectionals will work out? Is MSHSAA simply going to cut each district into two or mix different districts together? This is something our team has been wondering for awhile and we are hoping districts will set up in our favor this year, even though they mean nothing now

Chococheesey

District Assignments

Post by Chococheesey »

We're pretty sure that the old districts wil be divided in two and sectionals will be a one-game playoff between the winner of the district adjacent to you. In our (North County's) case, we should have 6 teams in our district (instead of last year's 12) and will probly play the winner of the Cape-Jackson-Poplar Bluff district. But I don't know for sure.

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

That'd be cool. The district most adjacent to ours... hmm.... Ladue. Ouch. And we'll be playing another good team-- FZW, FHC, or PCH. Ouch.

Also, I thought top 2 teams from each district go to sectional, and top 2 teams from sectionals go to state. That's my memory...

DIoanis

District Assignments

Post by DIoanis »

So to qualify just for sectionals a team must place 2nd at districts? Wow that's kinda not right. Didn't MSHSAA did this for football, because somehow Truman's football team made playoffs but I'm pretty sure we only one like 3 or 4 games and lost to the District winner Raytown South.

This could still be a problem for us though, because of NKC and Liberty in our district and if we are divided in half I would think Liberty would be in the same district because it's about the closest school to us that showed up at districts last year, even though the school is around 15 minutes away from where we are located.

To say simply: I hope they redraw districts altogether, that way we could let NKC and Liberty fight for the district title and we could go up against LSN or Blue Springs (or LSW since they placed 2nd at districts last year by beating LSN)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

District Assignments

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

AShoaib wrote:Also, I thought top 2 teams from each district go to sectional, and top 2 teams from sectionals go to state. That's my memory...
If this were the case, then I would be very much in favor of the new sectionals system. But if I remember right, there are 16 districts, and it's only the top team in each district that advances to sectionals; sectionals being a best 2-of-3 between the winners of two adjacent districts, and the winner of sectionals advances to state, which keeps state at 8 teams. Not much of an improvement, which is why we had that huge debate about it a few months ago.

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

Here's my understanding in them doing sectionals in the way I thought it was going to work (which may very well be wrong):

-Team A and Team B are both very good schools that are in the same district because they're close geographically.
-Team A beats Team B at Districts, giving Team B 2nd place, and team A is first.
-In another district, Team C and Team D are both teams that are not so good.
-Team C wins districts, and team D gets second.
-Team A, B, C, and D all have to play each other so as to try and help the unbalanced districts and ensure that the best teams go to state.

NKC and Liberty are great teams, but in the same district. Under this method, Liberty and NKC would go on into sectionals, where they'd play 2 other teams, which may not be as good. NKC and Liberty trounce the competition, and Liberty, who lost to NKC in both sectionals and districts, goes on to state because they are the better team than the other teams in the nearby districts.

Jeffrey Hill

District Assignments

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The method you described is similar to the way most of us would want sectionals to work, but again I don't think they're doing it this way.

Charlie Dees

District Assignments

Post by Charlie Dees »

No Abdullah, that's the sectionals we all wanted but not the one they put in place. What Jeff said is exactly what it will be.

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

Oh dear that's lame.

How does that remedy the problem of imbalanced districts at all? Oh wait, it doesn't. Lame.

Edit: what's the purpose of sectionals then?

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... AShoaib</a>, Nov 20 2008, 06:47:35 PM.</div>

Chococheesey

District Assignments

Post by Chococheesey »

Well, under the method we now believe they're using, it would really not do anything. All it does is give you the opporotunity to say "We're district Champs!" by only beating a few teams. So really, Sectionals is like the last round of disricts, sort of like how football in MO added annother round to the playoffs.

However, this is good news for my team, since we think we can compete with anyone in our area. When we went to Cape's tournament, we beat everyone we played, but ended up getting third because we had to play Notre Dame twice, and they beat us in playoffs. Then again, their Class 3 and we're 4, so we won't play them anyway.

Charlie Dees

District Assignments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, under the method we now believe they're using, it would really not do anything.
Statement of the year.

MJones

District Assignments

Post by MJones »

Awesome, so that means when we win our weak district it means even less than it did before...

We still get a banner in our gym though. :p

Charlie Dees

District Assignments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Conversely, it keeps disproportionally competitive districts disproportionally competitive, and sets up crappy situations like what will undoubtedly happen this year when NKC and Liberty are together in a district again.

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

And Sectionals will basically be what... one or two games? This is lame... I thought Sectionals was what I had described.... Curse you MSHSAA!!

WillHack

District Assignments

Post by WillHack »

Sadly, the system described as probable is not like the new football playoffs. Actually, the football playoff system might be exactly what needs to be put in place in the future: the top 2 teams from a district go on to the playoffs, and don't have to play each other again for at least a few rounds. Now, I'm hardly an expert on Kansas City districts, but that sounds like it would solve the NKC/Liberty problem.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

District Assignments

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

So weak is MSHSAA at quiz bowl. Why do they even try any more?

Oh wait, that's right, they don't when to quit while they're ahead.

So this means my district is: (if it's the same)

District A:
Bradleyville
Saxony Lutheran

District B:
Norwood
Bell City

Congratulations MSHSAA, just when I thought it couldn't get any worse...

By the way, here are the only things you need to fix sectionals to where you give the good teams a shot at state:
a baseball cap and 16 pieces of paper labeled 1-16, each signifying the district winner, randomly draw two numbers, and those teams face off at sectionals. It's somewhat fair, works, and gives MSHSAA a reason to have a sectional round.

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

I couldn't agree with you guys more.... and the die are already cast for this? It's too late for MSHSAA to come out and say "jk guys"

FZW Coach

District Assignments

Post by FZW Coach »

Before you curse me Abdullah, understand the full situation.

We do not know the exact district assignments yet. We are hoping we are not placed with FHC, but more than likely will since they are like 10 minutes from us.

Side note: we played Table Tennis with them on Wednesday and held our own. Our top student never lost a match. Their coach said, "There's a new kid in town." I played doubles with another teacher and dominated their 2nd best student and some other kid. Charles was not there. We will be playing them again soon in a more fomal setting with the coaches from Lindenwood running things. Yes, you can now earn a Table Tennis scholarship to attend Lindenwood University where I hope to be working next semester part time as a Statistics coach for their doctoral students. I actually need to fill out that information today.

I advocated the system you all have discussed here. MACA advocated the system you discussed. We even had Jim McCrary (Lexington) write a letter on our behalf which I presented in our meeting.

However, we were unable to make that happen this year. Something to think about . . . . which I haven't fully thought about . . . is teams like Kirksville. They are 3 hours from us and were in our district until last year. How do you make sectionals work when teams are so far away from each other?

I won't say more because I know some of you parse everything I say. I don't have a map, but if you had a map and figured it out, let me know. The unfortunate part of this is that this has to work for all 4 classes, not just the big schools which would be more than willing to do what you described above.

Charbroil

District Assignments

Post by Charbroil »

Lol...I'm glad to see my Table Tennis coach was talking about me, but I sincerely doubt having me around would have done us any good. I am, quite frankly, awful. :D

And if it makes you feel better, Coach Gibbs, I do believe you. I haven't agreed with you about everything, but I've appreciated your contribution on this forum. Plus, I enjoy the anecdotes. :)

By the way, how are districts going to be assigned, anyway? How were they even assigned previously? I simply don't understand how Kirksville was in our district...at the very least, there are Class 4 schools in Columbia that are closer to them than we are. Why not put Kirksville in a district in Columbia and shift one of those schools into our district? That halves their travel time, and averages the travel time for districts out much better...

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Nov 22 2008, 05:58:42 PM.</div>

NKCtrashman

District Assignments

Post by NKCtrashman »

We could get Barack Obama to lobby for an improved playoff system. :D

AShoaib

District Assignments

Post by AShoaib »

It's reassuring to know you tried Mr. Gibbs.

Curse you MSHSAA, making me skip my senior prom for districts. Seriously. I think MSHSAA is just rubbing it in my face "YOU CAN'T GET A DATE!! HAHAHAA!!". Well, I had no intention of going to prom, so it's not like it really mattered.... >_>

Charbroil

District Assignments

Post by Charbroil »

What I find particularly ironic is that the District timing was moved to accommodate the ACT...and yet there's no ACT on the day of Districts. :D

*Shrugs* I'm busy Saturday mornings anyway, so I guess it's good for me...

Chococheesey

District Assignments

Post by Chococheesey »

Obama needs to stop using his time and and influence to come up with a new BCS playoff system. He is the President, and needs to be focused on more important things.

Like fixing Missouri Quiz Bowl. :P

MJones

District Assignments

Post by MJones »

NKCtrashman wrote:We could get Barack Obama to lobby for an improved playoff system. :D
Haha, sports joke. Awesome. :P

I'm not sure what I hate more; MSHSAA or the BCS.