Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Things that don't suck

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Charlie Dees

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees »

Voting for Bob Barr is indefensible no matter what your reasons.

scphilli

Things that don't suck

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
Go Ron Paul
SHOCKING!
I love Ron Paul. I also love that Montana got him on the ballot which could siphon votes off from McCain.

Speaking of cranks, what this election really needs is someone who is just batpoop crazy spouting absolute nonesense like Ross Perot. I don't mean people spouting nonsense because they're ignorant (Sarah Palin I'm looking at you.), I mean someone who is just off the rails that you kind of want to pat them on the head but NEVER EVER EVER vote for them for President. I miss that nutball so darn much. Ah, memories...

hugatree1715

Things that don't suck

Post by hugatree1715 »

perhaps he has one on his head, like all other muslims.
I am curious, though, as to why people use this as an excuse to preclude Obama from the Presidency (even though it is verifiable as false).

Litmus tests aren't acceptable for Supreme Court Justices. Why should a religious test be used on a politician?

On another note, I'm excited that I will be attending a private Jay Nixon fundraiser next week, to be held at my friend's house (then we are leaving that same day for a college visit, all the while missing school on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday).

Ford08

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 »

Jay Nixon...I have met the man and talked to him a great deal. He told me what he was going to do, and...he lied. I do not like his politics, I do not value his politics. I have met Kenny Hulshoff. He is a good person and I like his politics, I think Sarah Steelman would have been better though.

Charlie Dees

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees »

Jay Nixon talks to you?

Ford08

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 »

Yeah, I have talked to him. I’m pretty well connected actually. Also when I talked to matt blunt he had the privilege of meeting me really, I don’t like him either, he is a two faced snob.

scphilli

Things that don't suck

Post by scphilli »

So tonight I was at The Loading Zone in St. Louis, one of the more preeminent bars for homosexual gentlemen and there were two black gay men with Sarah Palin buttons. My friend Sam pressed them and they said that Barack Obama wasn't really black but that they would support Jesse Jackson or Al Sharpton. Then Sam told them he wanted to have a real discussion with them on some issues like the economy and health care but he had to go to the bathroom first. While he was in the bathroom they made a beeline for the door.

So those two guys and Clarence Thomas, that's the 1% of black people voting for McCain in case anyone was wondering.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Things that don't suck

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Voting for Bob Barr is indefensible no matter what your reasons.
Adhering to a two-party system whose differences are mere get-out-the-vote-issues-they-won't-bother-acting-on-out-of-fear-of-losing-core-electorates-to-complacency-thinking-the-job-is-done and keep rolling in the big bucks from lobbyists and multinational corporations is indefensible too.

Don't like what Exxon Mobil's party is doing? Back Fannie & Freddie's.
Don't like what the trial lawyer's party wants? Back the corrupt hedge fund managers'.

Charlie Dees

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees »

Now where did I ever say I was doing that? I'm saying that Bob Barr is not a fit candidate to be president, regardless of your so-called party (which, by the way, if you are truly a libertarian doesn't have much to do with the libertarian party).

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987,Oct 3 2008 wrote: Poli Sci 316 class cancellation count is now at 5.

This time, we didn't get notified until about 3 minutes after class was supposed to start.
Now 6, and no advance notification this time either.
Make it 7.

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

Ha, and I was actually awake this time, too.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Things that don't suck

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Now where did I ever say I was doing that? I'm saying that Bob Barr is not a fit candidate to be president, regardless of your so-called party (which, by the way, if you are truly a libertarian doesn't have much to do with the libertarian party).
He's about as fit as the other two people talk about all the time. He just doesn't have the clout necessary to get the support of all the movers and shakers.

And he's certainly more fit than the Green Party's candidate, Cynthia McKinney. I don't think getting into a tussle with Capitol police over a missing lapel is a bright idea.

Charlie Dees

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees »

This pretty much covers it.
I will just edit this statement in to point out on this board that Bob Barr was the keynote speaker at a conference of a white suprematist organization that claims "integration is genocide," along with having a wonderful "family values" history.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... enaziCD</a>, Oct 25 2008, 01:15:22 AM.</div>

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

This time, we didn't get notified until about 3 minutes after class was supposed to start.
Make it 7.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Worked out great for me - I guess I ignored my alarm because I slept in until about 10:30. It's not like we were going to do anything besides a couple of short presentations on presidents and then look at the latest presidential vote polls. With today's presentations moved to Friday, that's definitely all that will happen on Friday!

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

I wish Meagher taught all of my classes.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

Sounds like I picked a great day to decide to stay in bed.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

So I wonder what this "FUTURE direction" for the class is. Too bad I won't be there to find out.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Nov 12 2008, 10:36:17 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!
I guess technically today is 12, though this time it was announced in advance as part of the "FUTURE direction" of the class. Meagher's missed class count is at 14 since we had a sub on Mon and Wed to proctor the rest of the presentations.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

On a related note, how many people do you think are actually at Physics today? Signs point to x quickly approaching 0 since I'm not there.

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

My guess is 5, which is coincidentally about the number of seconds I was in Physics class all week - just long enough to turn in my homework on Wednesday.

I think I made it to around half of my classes this week... not bad at all

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!
I guess technically today is 12, though this time it was announced in advance as part of the "FUTURE direction" of the class. Meagher's missed class count is at 14 since we had a sub on Mon and Wed to proctor the rest of the presentations.
We did the class feedback surveys today but other than that no class, so today counts as 13. Also Meagher's missed count is actually now 16 since he didn't proctor one of our exams.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!
We did the class feedback surveys today but other than that no class, so today counts as 13. Also Meagher's missed count is actually now 16 since he didn't proctor one of our exams.
No class today or Monday brings us to the milestone of FIFTEEEEEEEEEEN!. We missed 1/3 of the class periods...!

redliberte

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte »

Maybe he'll cancel your final.

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

No such luck. :(

Other thing that doesn't suck: having everything other than schedules ready to go for a Saturday tournament by Tuesday night.

hugatree1715

Things that don't suck

Post by hugatree1715 »

The Independence School District just called its first snow day of the year, though "snow day" is somewhat of a misnomer since ice is the primary reason for this cancellation.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Other thing that doesn't suck: having everything other than schedules ready to go for a Saturday tournament by Tuesday night.
This is completely awesome, though buying questions makes this OVER 9000 times easier.
The Independence School District just called its first snow day of the year, though "snow day" is somewhat of a misnomer since ice is the primary reason for this cancellation.
In my experience it was almost always ice and not snow that canceled school for Liberty. Of course, Liberty's basically the last district in the KC area to close.

How about this Missouri weather... we had a thunderstorm when I went to sleep around 3 AM yesterday, the temperature was decent this morning (though it was raining), and now this sleet/ice stuff, all within a 20 or so hour period! And of course it had to come after I drove over to the RC to work on that project that we waited until the last minute to do and still aren't anywhere near done on, so I had to scrape it all off to drive back.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:

Make it 7.
Now in double digits!
No class today or Monday brings us to the milestone of FIFTEEEEEEEEEEN!. We missed 1/3 of the class periods...!
To keep this complete... we didn't have class yesterday either, so 16. We're supposed to have some sort of review tomorrow, though with what little we went over in class I have no idea what that's going to entail. At least this test will have easy stuff like multiple choice and matching and not be essays on stuff we were never lectured about.

Assuming we have class tomorrow, with 44 total class periods (15 weeks minus labor day) we missed 16 classes. 3 periods were exams and one was a quiz, and at least 2 (probably more) were exclusively presentations. That leaves at most 22 periods when we might had some form of lecture. (It's probably more like 10 or so...) Oh, and we haven't gotten our second or third tests back, nor have we gotten our papers back...

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

So, given the weather, what are the odds Meagher makes it in for the final tomorrow morning?

I'm calling it 25%. Probably too high.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:So, given the weather, what are the odds Meagher makes it in for the final tomorrow morning?

I'm calling it 25%. Probably too high.
Nice call on considering the weather. Yeah, 25% is probably too high. Knowing him, he probably already has someone lined up to proctor the exam but he won't e-mail us about it until tomorrow morning, if he even does, so he can use the weather as an excuse.

Right now on MODOT's map I-44 is one of the few roads shown even partially clear (and interestingly, completely clear across the state). It's pretty much the dividing line between covered and partially covered roads at the moment, and either St. Louis hasn't been hit much yet or they're doing a really good job keeping the roads clear.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Dec 16 2008, 02:55:07 PM.</div>

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

Things that don't suck

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

Moving back to the topic somewhat:

For those who are stuck at home or at your dorm because they feel the roads are too "dangerous" (seriously, in Bradleyville there is NOTHING on the ground and we still got out today) after studying, play Fallout 3 if you have either a PC, PS3, or 360. If you don't have it... BUY IT! Best sixty dollars you will ever spend.

I still can't get over the beautiful graphics of when you murder a Super Mutant, then raiding the corpse for a gattling gun and the thousands of rounds they left with it. Stupid G4 giving game of the year to Fable II. Hey I've got an idea, lets have them name two things Molyneux has done lately outside of that... I'm waiting.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Was that not one of the most bizarre tests ever?

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

"Bizarre" is exactly the word I'd use to describe it, actually.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Are you still on campus?

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

Nope. Went home.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Figured so. I'll just get those questions at the physics final tomorrow then.

Jeffrey Hill

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Not having to dress up and go to the career fair tomorrow.

ZhangC1459

Things that don't suck

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Tennis starting. I need exercise, or else I'm going to die from an overly inactive lifestyle.

Also, what else doesn't suck is being able to sneak my laptop upstairs so I can finish up the English essay that has the stupidest prompt on earth, the AP Bio key questions over a chapter I have yet to read, and play NetHack at the same time.

CherryCokeStain

Things that don't suck

Post by CherryCokeStain »

Things that don't suck:

Rick Astley
Charles Dees Rapping
The Music Video for Safety Dance

Charlie Dees

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think Brandon and I would challenge a number of those assertions.

FishyFreshman

Things that don't suck

Post by FishyFreshman »

I agree on Rick Astley and the Safety Dance.

I have yet to hear Charlie's musical genius.

socalcaptain

Things that don't suck

Post by socalcaptain »

Eating dinner with Bo Burnham.

redliberte

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte »

socalcaptain wrote:Eating dinner with Bo Burnham.
Dude, that is pretty awesome. I can also vouch for the rap stylings of Charles Dees as being awesome.

ZhangC1459

Things that don't suck

Post by ZhangC1459 »

FishyFreshman wrote:I agree on Rick Astley and the Safety Dance.

I have yet to hear Charlie's musical genius.
What he said. Post a vid sometime, Charlie.

Also, another thing that doesn't suck is when Spring Break rolls around

socalcaptain

Things that don't suck

Post by socalcaptain »

redliberte wrote:
socalcaptain wrote:Eating dinner with Bo Burnham.
Dude, that is pretty awesome.
I know. My roommate was the official venue photographer and I rode with him, so when he got invited to have dinner with Bo and the event staff, I got invited too! It was just about the most awesome thing ever. Bo's just a normal guy who happens to write funny songs. If you want to see one of my roommate's pics, you can go to his website at http://blog.dakdillonphotography.com/

Also I have pics on facebook, so if anyone wants to see those you can friend request me.

DeckardCain

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain »

This most definitely does not suck.

redliberte

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte »

Ok, so after listening to that I felt the need to search youtube for more Mario Paint Composer videos... and dude, there's some pretty awesome stuff, like Take On Me and Don't Stop Believin'. Heh.