Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Reminder for Tomorrow

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by wldcat_blldog »

Get Out And Vote, no matter who you are voting for.

Charlie Dees

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by Charlie Dees »

To quote the loveline prank-caller, mmmmmmNope!

AShoaib

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by AShoaib »

CBS, CNN, MSNBC called it for Obama.

This is Quizbowl/history in the making. :P

DeckardCain

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by DeckardCain »

Congratulations to President-elect Obama. :)

Slightly off-topic: I've now predicted correctly each of the 45 states that have been called.

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by wldcat_blldog »

Just out of curiousity...what are your predictions for the five left?

DeckardCain

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by DeckardCain »

wldcat_blldog wrote:Just out of curiousity...what are your predictions for the five left?
North Carolina, Indiana and Missouri for Obama, Montana and Alaska for McCain. Final score: 375-163.

Charlie Dees

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by Charlie Dees »

Look out for marauding bands of half-breed muslins overnight. They'll take your bibles and guns if you aren't careful.

STPickrell

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by STPickrell »

DeckardCain wrote:
wldcat_blldog wrote:Just out of curiousity...what are your predictions for the five left?
North Carolina, Indiana and Missouri for Obama, Montana and Alaska for McCain. Final score: 375-163.
I am also 45/45. (The pic I made is on Facebook).

I suspect AK will go for McCain but Matt and I disagreed on MO -- I had it staying red due to McCain actually having something resembling a ground game there. But, unless the 50% of STL City that hasn't reported is full of McCain voters or non-voters, it'll push Obama over the top in MO.

IN has mostly blue counties left to report.

I think NC will need a recount; the other states won't be that close.

MT's blue areas have already reported and there's several red counties that'll go McCain +500-3,000.

The big losers are the Green Party. McKinney got outvoted 4-1 by Nader, yielding Nader the uncontested title of leader of the alternative left. Bob Barr disappointed the alternative right; I suspect Ron Paul would've pulled down 1-2% had he run.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I was getting pretty doubtful about St. Louis County but now with only 2 precincts left in St. Louis County Obama only needs 413 more votes than McCain to take it. It's going to be an incredibly thin margin but looks like he's going to pull it off.

Here's the St. Louis County data:
657/659 reported (99.697%)
McCain: 218,446
Obama: 327,883
Margin: 109,437

Actually, if my math is correct, and the same proportion of voters are in the remaining precincts and they vote in the same proportion as the rest of the results, I show Obama gaining 333 votes over McCain (109437/657=166.6 more Obama votes/precinct) though I'm sure the last two precincts are larger, Obama-favoring precincts. Not that it really matters... yeah, I'm doing these pointless calculations instead of studying for a physics test.

--edit--
There are also a few precincts in Dunklin and Christian counties that aren't yet reported so that will give more votes to McCain... so glad there's no threat of recounts determining the national outcome.

--edit again--
One more update before I go to sleep... like I should have an hour ago... Dunklin came in, Missouri totals are now:
McCain: 1,433,342
Obama: 1,430,610
Margin: 2732

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Nov 5 2008, 01:53:46 AM.</div>

STPickrell

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by STPickrell »

It seems McCain is up 6,000 votes. Pending the NC and MO recounts, I am 50 for 50.

redliberte

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by redliberte »

So they are going to recount in Missouri? I've been trying to find something that confirmed this all day, but I haven't been successful...

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

STPickrell wrote:It seems McCain is up 6,000 votes. Pending the NC and MO recounts, I am 50 for 50.
Don't you mean 51 for 51? Even if they're a shoe-in for the Democrat candidate everytime (including McGovern and Mondale!), DC does have three electoral votes.

DeckardCain

Reminder for Tomorrow

Post by DeckardCain »

I know I take no particular pride in correctly picking the winner of DC.

For what it's worth, CNN has never projected a winner in Missouri.