Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Olympics

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Ford08

Olympics

Post by Ford08 »

So, is it just me or does it seem that all of our olympic gold medal hopefuls seems to keep dropping out due to some reason? I think we might as well not attend except for Michael Phelps cause you know he pretty much is a bamf.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Olympics

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Are you talking Hamm, or did I miss another one?

At last check, Gay and Spearmon are still in. SOOIEE!

Charlie Dees

Olympics

Post by Charlie Dees »

Man the cameraman for this ceremony blows.

scphilli

Olympics

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Man the cameraman for this ceremony blows.
Yeah I like how when they were showing Roger Federer, his face was obscured by the Swiss flag for most of the time and they tried like 3 times to find an advantageous angle.

Seriously, the Opening Ceremonies were cool. When I had the mute button and the closed captioning on so I didn't have to listen to the NBC tards. Get used to it y'all! This is gonna be a long 2 weeks of Bob Costas and John Tesh!

Charlie Dees

Olympics

Post by Charlie Dees »

I hate Bob Costas.
Also, my favorite awful cameraman moment was when they had those blocks that moved up and down, making waves and ripples, and they decided to zoom in on the actual boxes instead of the design they made.

Ford08

Olympics

Post by Ford08 »

I knew that there were people under those printing blocks, and when they jumped out totally amazing. Human ingenuity at its best.

L-Town Expatriate

Olympics

ashkenaziCD wrote: I hate Bob Costas.
Don't be dissing the only seemingly decent St. Louis connection to the Olympic movement! St. Louis couldn't even put their Olympic stadium in their own city limits!!

Charlie Dees

Olympics

Post by Charlie Dees »

I grew up partially in St. Louis and I'm ashamed to admit he's from there. He's a raging idiot.

L-Town Expatriate

Olympics

ashkenaziCD wrote: I grew up partially in St. Louis and I'm ashamed to admit he's from there. He's a raging idiot.
As I said, seemingly decent.

KC: Maurice Green. Courtney McCool. Tara Nott. 'Nuff said

redliberte

Olympics

Post by redliberte »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: KC: Maurice Green. Courtney McCool. Tara Nott. 'Nuff said
I believe there's a KC Central HS alumn on the US track team this year too... Muna Lee? I think that's the name.

But yeah, Bob Costas sucks. And his hair? Totally a rug.

L-Town Expatriate

Olympics

redliberte wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote: KC: Maurice Green.  Courtney McCool.  Tara Nott.  'Nuff said
I believe there's a KC Central HS alumn on the US track team this year too... Muna Lee? I think that's the name.

But yeah, Bob Costas sucks. And his hair? Totally a rug.
Ahh, yes. I completely forgot about her until this morning. You say "track olympian" around here and you get drowned out by Hog Calls for Tyson Gay.

So let's make it simply:
KC: Muna Lee. 'Nuff said.

scphilli

Olympics

Post by scphilli »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote: I hate Bob Costas.
Don't be dissing the only seemingly decent St. Louis connection to the Olympic movement! St. Louis couldn't even put their Olympic stadium in their own city limits!!
As a taxpaying resident of St. Louis I must say, anyone has every right to diss on Bob Costas. He deserves it. He commits various oral acts on his audience that the rules of this site prevent me from describing in graphic detail, but let's just say he leaves them with a happy ending.

And also let's not eulogize the 1904 Games too much, as much as they did for St. Louis. It was, after all, the host of the games where they had the Anthropology Games and had human beings as living exhibitions not unlike we'd have pandas at the zoo.

Ford08

Olympics

Post by Ford08 »

Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night? It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!

redliberte

Olympics

Post by redliberte »

scphilli wrote: As a taxpaying resident of St. Louis I must say, anyone has every right to diss on Bob Costas. He deserves it. He commits various oral acts on his audience that the rules of this site prevent me from describing in graphic detail, but let's just say he leaves them with a happy ending.
LOLOLOLOLOL.

Yes, the relay was teh awesome.

And may I just add... Bela Karolyi is totally the personification of Kyle's stupid "In Soviet Russia..." jokes. Despite the fact that Bela Karolyi is, in fact, Romanian.

Charlie Dees

Olympics

Post by Charlie Dees »

Have you ever heard of Yakov Smirnoff?

Ford08

Olympics

Post by Ford08 »

Yakov tricked our speech teacher into going on a few dates with her lol, and he is a pretty funny guy, his number is 1-800-NOKGB.

L-Town Expatriate

Olympics

Wonder what Yakov's saying in light of the whole Russia-invading-Georgia-because-they-think-Georgia-is-invading-Russia war?

Ford08

Olympics

Post by Ford08 »

Probabley stupid Georgia.

redliberte

Olympics

Post by redliberte »

Gotcha. I've seen Yakov's billboards in Branson, but never heard his jokes. God forbid I thought that bit was original.

scphilli

Olympics

Post by scphilli »

Ford08 wrote: Probabley stupid Georgia.
See I'd have thought it'd have been:

"In Soviet Russia, genocide cleanses YOU!"

But that's just me.

FordATeam/CC

Olympics

Post by FordATeam/CC »

Ford08 wrote: Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night? It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!
That was definitely the emotional highlight so far. Our whole family was glued to the TV. I kept hoping Lezak could catch him, but I honestly didn't think it would happen until I he took off from that last turn.

Being a track guy myself, I can't wait for track and field to get going this weekend.

scphilli

Olympics

Post by scphilli »

FordATeam/CC wrote:
Ford08 wrote: Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night?  It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!
That was definitely the emotional highlight so far. Our whole family was glued to the TV. I kept hoping Lezak could catch him, but I honestly didn't think it would happen until I he took off from that last turn.

Being a track guy myself, I can't wait for track and field to get going this weekend.
I can't wait for more headlines like "Gay Takes Record In 100M"

At first I thought they were being unusually direct, then I realized, oh no, that's his last name.

L-Town Expatriate

Olympics

scphilli wrote:
FordATeam/CC wrote:
Ford08 wrote: Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night?  It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!

I can't wait for more headlines like "Gay Takes Record In 100M"

At first I thought they were being unusually direct, then I realized, oh no, that's his last name.
He cramped up.

As a result, Arkansas' Olympic highlight at the moment is a swimmer from Malaysia who transferred this year from Wisconsin smashed their country's record in some 200m race. Despite placing 5th in her semi heat.