Looking for study material?
Prepare for next season with thousands of packets FREE for study and practice use from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
Need a new buzzer system? Apply for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:58 am



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
Olympics 
Author Message

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007
Posts: 334
Post Olympics
So, is it just me or does it seem that all of our olympic gold medal hopefuls seems to keep dropping out due to some reason? I think we might as well not attend except for Michael Phelps cause you know he pretty much is a bamf.


Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:43 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
Are you talking Hamm, or did I miss another one?

At last check, Gay and Spearmon are still in. SOOIEE!


Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:12 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Olympics
Man the cameraman for this ceremony blows.


Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:00 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Olympics
ashkenaziCD wrote:
Man the cameraman for this ceremony blows.

Yeah I like how when they were showing Roger Federer, his face was obscured by the Swiss flag for most of the time and they tried like 3 times to find an advantageous angle.

Seriously, the Opening Ceremonies were cool. When I had the mute button and the closed captioning on so I didn't have to listen to the NBC tards. Get used to it y'all! This is gonna be a long 2 weeks of Bob Costas and John Tesh!


Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:04 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Olympics
I hate Bob Costas.
Also, my favorite awful cameraman moment was when they had those blocks that moved up and down, making waves and ripples, and they decided to zoom in on the actual boxes instead of the design they made.


Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:47 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007
Posts: 334
Post Olympics
I knew that there were people under those printing blocks, and when they jumped out totally amazing. Human ingenuity at its best.


Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:10 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
ashkenaziCD wrote:
I hate Bob Costas.

Don't be dissing the only seemingly decent St. Louis connection to the Olympic movement! St. Louis couldn't even put their Olympic stadium in their own city limits!!


Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:02 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Olympics
I grew up partially in St. Louis and I'm ashamed to admit he's from there. He's a raging idiot.


Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:08 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
ashkenaziCD wrote:
I grew up partially in St. Louis and I'm ashamed to admit he's from there. He's a raging idiot.

As I said, seemingly decent.

KC: Maurice Green. Courtney McCool. Tara Nott. 'Nuff said


Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007
Posts: 422
Post Olympics
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
KC: Maurice Green. Courtney McCool. Tara Nott. 'Nuff said

I believe there's a KC Central HS alumn on the US track team this year too... Muna Lee? I think that's the name.

But yeah, Bob Costas sucks. And his hair? Totally a rug.


Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:37 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
redliberte wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
KC: Maurice Green.  Courtney McCool.  Tara Nott.  'Nuff said

I believe there's a KC Central HS alumn on the US track team this year too... Muna Lee? I think that's the name.

But yeah, Bob Costas sucks. And his hair? Totally a rug.

Ahh, yes. I completely forgot about her until this morning. You say "track olympian" around here and you get drowned out by Hog Calls for Tyson Gay.

So let's make it simply:
KC: Muna Lee. 'Nuff said.


Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Olympics
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:
I hate Bob Costas.

Don't be dissing the only seemingly decent St. Louis connection to the Olympic movement! St. Louis couldn't even put their Olympic stadium in their own city limits!!

As a taxpaying resident of St. Louis I must say, anyone has every right to diss on Bob Costas. He deserves it. He commits various oral acts on his audience that the rules of this site prevent me from describing in graphic detail, but let's just say he leaves them with a happy ending.

And also let's not eulogize the 1904 Games too much, as much as they did for St. Louis. It was, after all, the host of the games where they had the Anthropology Games and had human beings as living exhibitions not unlike we'd have pandas at the zoo.


Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:36 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007
Posts: 334
Post Olympics
Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night? It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!


Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:39 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007
Posts: 422
Post Olympics
scphilli wrote:
As a taxpaying resident of St. Louis I must say, anyone has every right to diss on Bob Costas. He deserves it. He commits various oral acts on his audience that the rules of this site prevent me from describing in graphic detail, but let's just say he leaves them with a happy ending.

LOLOLOLOLOL.


Yes, the relay was teh awesome.

And may I just add... Bela Karolyi is totally the personification of Kyle's stupid "In Soviet Russia..." jokes. Despite the fact that Bela Karolyi is, in fact, Romanian.


Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Olympics
Have you ever heard of Yakov Smirnoff?


Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:23 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007
Posts: 334
Post Olympics
Yakov tricked our speech teacher into going on a few dates with her lol, and he is a pretty funny guy, his number is 1-800-NOKGB.


Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:51 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
Wonder what Yakov's saying in light of the whole Russia-invading-Georgia-because-they-think-Georgia-is-invading-Russia war?


Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:19 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007
Posts: 334
Post Olympics
Probabley stupid Georgia.


Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:40 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007
Posts: 422
Post Olympics
Gotcha. I've seen Yakov's billboards in Branson, but never heard his jokes. God forbid I thought that bit was original.


Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:55 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Olympics
Ford08 wrote:
Probabley stupid Georgia.

See I'd have thought it'd have been:

"In Soviet Russia, genocide cleanses YOU!"

But that's just me.


Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:00 am
Profile

Joined: Tue May 16, 2006
Posts: 352
Post Olympics
Ford08 wrote:
Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night? It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!

That was definitely the emotional highlight so far. Our whole family was glued to the TV. I kept hoping Lezak could catch him, but I honestly didn't think it would happen until I he took off from that last turn.

Being a track guy myself, I can't wait for track and field to get going this weekend.


Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:44 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Olympics
FordATeam/CC wrote:
Ford08 wrote:
Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night?  It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!

That was definitely the emotional highlight so far. Our whole family was glued to the TV. I kept hoping Lezak could catch him, but I honestly didn't think it would happen until I he took off from that last turn.

Being a track guy myself, I can't wait for track and field to get going this weekend.

I can't wait for more headlines like "Gay Takes Record In 100M"

At first I thought they were being unusually direct, then I realized, oh no, that's his last name.


Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:18 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5621
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Olympics
scphilli wrote:
FordATeam/CC wrote:
Ford08 wrote:
Did anyone see the awesome come from behind victory in the 4x100 relay last night?  It was pretty much amazing, take that France!!!!!

That was definitely the emotional highlight so far. Our whole family was glued to the TV. I kept hoping Lezak could catch him, but I honestly didn't think it would happen until I he took off from that last turn.

Being a track guy myself, I can't wait for track and field to get going this weekend.

I can't wait for more headlines like "Gay Takes Record In 100M"

At first I thought they were being unusually direct, then I realized, oh no, that's his last name.

He cramped up.

As a result, Arkansas' Olympic highlight at the moment is a swimmer from Malaysia who transferred this year from Wisconsin smashed their country's record in some 200m race. Despite placing 5th in her semi heat.


Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:08 am
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum style by STSoftware for PTF.
Translated by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr