Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

ANNOUNCEMENT: VCU Open Mirror at Truman State (8/1

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KentB

Post by KentB »

Truman State ACO (or mainly myself and a few friends) will host a mirror of the VCU Summer Open and UC-Irvine Novice Tournament on August 16.

The August 16 tournament will be the UC-Irvine Novice Tournament, which will feature
novice level questions with central editing done by Dwight Wynne at UCI. These questions will test knowledge crucial to excelling at the collegiate level in a pyramidal, clue-laden format. While the original main event was set to be the VCU Open, given the difficulty level of said event and the availability of a more suitable alternative, the novice tournament shall serve as the main event.

Teams for the main event may consist of anywhere between 1-4 players assuming that none of these players has scored more than 20 ppg at any level of NAQT ICT. Players who fall under this rule must play on a team of no more than two players.

As a second event to be held upon the completion of the Novice Tournament for interested parties, we will host a mirror of the VCU Open featuring non-science questions written by Matt Weiner and science questions written by a competent person to be named later. It will be around Chicago Open difficulty or slightly easier.

This tournament shall feature a player draft and a doubles format. Each team shall consist of no more than two players and shall play a round-robin tournament on only tossup questions.

As of right now, I will guarantee spots to the first 8 teams but this number will go up if there is enough interest and I will actively pursue more competant workers.

To register, post in this thread or mail me at ktb436@truman.edu with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you want to bring, your likely team roster, and an email address where you can be contacted with details.

LOCATION, DIRECTIONS, PARKING: This tournament will take place in Violette Hall, on the south side of campus. Please meet in room 1010 of Violette no later than 8:45 in order to register. Games will begin PROMPTLY AT 9 so please do not be late.
-The nominal address of the building is "100 East Patterson, Kirksville, MO 63501" if you need to put something into your map software of choice. The building is located between Dobson Hall dormitory and Magruder Hall (the science building) with a parking lot separating Magruder and Violette. Parking in this lot is recommended as it is right next to the building and it would be hard to get lost from this point.
-Breakfast and lunch will not be provided on-site, but there are a few restaurants on The Square within walking distance of campus along with a few fast food restaurants on Hwy. 63.

Games will be played under the official ACF rules. The tournament format will be a full round-robin, followed by a division into playoff groups if the RR alone does not provide everyone with 12 games, followed by ACF-format finals.

The fees for the NOVICE TOURNAMENT are as follows:
$85 base fee per team
-$10 discount per fully functional buzzer system (control box, power cord, and at least eight activators all work)
-$15 discount for a full-time competent and experienced moderator (ionly available if moderators are needed .... contact me about this)

The minimum fee per team is $60.

The fee for the VCU Open Doubles Tournament is as follows:
$30 per team of two

I will handle financial arrangements as our treasurer will not be in town yet. All teams must pay me on the morning of the tournament, in one of two forms: cash, or a personal or institutional check made out to Academic Competition Organization. Do not bring checks made out to Kent Buxton, to Truman State, to "quizbowl," or so forth. We can't do anything with them, and you will be asked to pay us out of your own pocket if you bring unusable checks. Unless you have made a specific arrangement with me, you must pay your full registration fee at or before the tournament. If you need an invoice ahead of time so that your sponsor can cut a check, let me know. Otherwise, all teams will receive invoices at the tournament.

Post here or mail me if you have any further questions about the tournament itself, travel strategies, or so forth.

--Kent Buxton, tournament director
ktb436@truman.edu
--announcement template and wording credited to Matt Weiner

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'll be there.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm there.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Would there be any interest in playing the Novice tournament as a night cap ?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB wrote: Would there be any interest in playing the Novice tournament as a night cap ?
Sounds fine with me.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I am half-tempted to attend. Please, may E85 still be less than $3.50 when this rolls around.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'd like to play zot bowl as a night cap or as a sunday event.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Also, I'll likely be looking for a teammate or two. Let me know if interested.

KentB

Post by KentB »

If I am able to secure enough moderators, I would play as your teammate but .... I'm working on that one.

johnboy81918

Post by johnboy81918 »

I'll be going, playing both events

EDIT: can this thread also be linked to from the high school section, so that teams know about it (seeing as it's an open event)? It would be great to see some other teams there - I'll see who from Liberty can come, and maybe NKC would show up, and Kirksville has no reason not to come seeing as it's at Truman...

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

FYI: Strong Chance I won't be able to make it. Apparently Pineville's claim to fame is that they were the site of filming for the 1939 movie "Jesse James". They hyped it up so much that they named the town festival after him and actually stage the bank robbery that gained him national notoriety.

And since I'm from the town where the robbery actually took place (pretend I'm screaming that last phrase as opposed to me typing it in all caps), it's likely that I'll be the one covering it.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Very frustratingly, I won't be leaving Florida until a day or so after this is done, so I can't make it.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm trying to get a team together but no one seems to be replying to my messages.

johnboy81918

Post by johnboy81918 »

Even if you don't get other people, you can still show up and play. You trying to get people from your area to come?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Yeah, I had talked to some people from Hallsville during the season, and I also asked Ravi. But who knows.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

So, I finally got ahold of Taylor from Hallsville, hopefully I will be hearing back from him tonight. And, I sent Ravi an email. I would love to have both of them play on a team with me.

Here's some stuff I would like to have clarified:

Assuming neither of them can play with me, I can play by myself in the VCU mirror, correct? And I am responsible for paying the $100 (or $80, assuming I can get both buzzer sets from my HS) in that situation, I understand. And, if we bring three buzzer sets, then we pay only $75?

Also, as far as the novice part of it goes, I can also play that alone if need be, or with any team, not necessarily the same team as the VCU Open, correct? (This may not happen considering that I move in to Mizzou the next day for band camp...)

And does either tournament require me to write questions?

Thanks for the clarifications.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No questions need to be submitted at this point.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

You could play by yourself, or you could always play with some other partial team, which there will likely be. As for the finances, I'm not sure about that.

On an unrelated note, if anyone is looking for transportation, I can probably bring two or three more people in my car at least from Rolla and possibly as far away as Ozark depending on where I'll be that week.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I can also provide transportation. Columbia would be the easiest meeting spot for me, I live in Fulton, so I'll probably take 70 to Columbia and then get on 63. I would say 2 more people would fit comfortably.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Current Field (5 teams):
Team Me
Team Matt Chadbourne
Team John Ahlfield (KC funtime)
Team Alex Dzurick
Team St. Louis (mystery players)

If the field stays this size, we will play double or triple round robin before switching over to the novice tourney. I will have more details soon but I'm starting to get excited about this!

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Not to be nitpicky or anything, but my name has a c in it. Dzurick. It's a hard one, I know. Everyone gets it wrong, so rest assured you are not the first.

Back on topic, I'm excited as well! I marched in band for the first time today since...wow...I guess around January, and it felt great. I hope getting back in the swing of QB is the same way!

KentB

Post by KentB »

Given the current field, there have been talks about making the Novice tournament the main event for the day if that would suit everyone. After practicing Chicago Open-style questions recently, Matt and I agreed that people would probably have more fun playing the Novice tournament. While I never like to discourage challenging everyone to get better, I feel like the Novice level tournament would be a much better introduction to the majority of the field of what a college tournament is like. We will still read VCU Open questions to show what an upper-level event is like, but if this suits everyone who will be in attendance, this is how it will go.

I will post more details including updated pricing as soon as they become available and I am certain on the number of teams/players attending.

-Kent B.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Cool. Sounds good. Other than me, my whole team is still in high school!

KentB

Post by KentB »

Team update:

Team Charles Hang: Julia Price, Mark Schneider, Charles Hang, and Kai He
Team Alex Dzurick: Alex Dzurick, Taylor Smith, Ravi Fernando, Kelson Rosbach
Team me: Kent Buxton
Mo S&T: Matt Chadbourne
People coming from Kansas City who will form teams in some way: John Ahlfield, Ryan Stander, Stephanie Hull, Spencer Fish, Cameron ?, Alice Walkley
Free agent for a team of two or a moderator: Ali Pearson

KentB

Post by KentB »

The initial post has been updated with the corrected pricing. I am sorry for the confusion but switching to the Novice Tournament caused a slight shift in the price, which I am sure will not be a problem since it went down a bit.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Kent:

We were only able to get one buzzer system, since Hallsville and Kirksville haven't started school yet. Just letting you know in case you need to make alternate plans.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'll bring ours, so we should be fine on that front.

KentB

Post by KentB »

and I have two here.... so we are more than set..

The tourney will feature 5 teams playing round robin 2-3 times through. I will have 14 packets and we can just see how far we get. Every team will have a bye round after every fourth game. One member of the bye team will be responsible for reading a game to the teams playing that round. We could feasibly be done with the novice tournament by 5 or 6 after playoffs and individual prizes are awarded. For any further questions, do not hesitate to call me at 573-587-0642.

*this post being edited to remove the telephone number as soon as this tourney is over :-P

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also while you're there, pay attention to any criticisms of my packet you might have, because I would love to hear them.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Players who were supposed to come have continuously dropped like flies. Tomorrow will definitely be interesting but I think it will turn out to be a fun experience no matter who all shows up.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

KentB wrote: Players who were supposed to come have continuously dropped like flies. Tomorrow will definitely be interesting but I think it will turn out to be a fun experience no matter who all shows up.
Yes. Today is VERY interesting. Maybe you should show up, I don't know...

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!

Ravi Fernando

Post by Ravi Fernando »

KentB wrote: Players who were supposed to come have continuously dropped like flies. Tomorrow will definitely be interesting but I think it will turn out to be a fun experience no matter who all shows up.
We're currently considering going to your house and waking you up with the buzzers.

Htownrep

Post by Htownrep »

Players who were supposed to come have continuously dropped like flies.
Are you one of them? Really, you are allowed to show up at any time. We don't want to resort to death threats. Here and waiting...
Tomorrow will definitely be interesting but I think it will turn out to be a fun experience no matter who all shows up.
When the people who are organizing the event don't show up, it is not as much fun.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

My team is here, and we're mildly annoyed by this...

It would be greatly appreciated if you could arrive some time in the near future; we are currently hunting for your address and will be there as soon as possible, barring your immediate arrival.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Well, in an exciting development, Kent Buxton has decided to join us, and now we will be proceeding with an edited doubles version of the Novice Open. The following double teams will be competing:

Team 1: (The reviled) Kent Buxton (Truman State), Kelson Rosbach (Hallsville)
Team 2: Kai He (Fort Zumwalt West) and Mark Schneider (Kirksville)
Team 3: Ravi Fernando (Kirksville) and Taylor Smith (Hallsville)
Team 4: Julia Price (Fort Zumwalt West) and Matt Chadbourne (Missouri Science and Technology)
Team 5: Charles Hang (Francis Howell Central) and Alex Dzurick (Formerly South Calloway, Mizzou)

First Round (Team 1 Moderating)

Team 2 vs. Team 3
Team 4 vs. Team 5

Let the games begin...

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Update:

Round 1:
Team 4 beat Team 5 360-45
Team 2 vs. Team 3 results are still being determined due to certain scoring irregularities...Team 3 beat Team 2 65-60

Round 2:
Team 5 beat Team 3 260-55
Team 4 beat Team 1 255-120

Teams:
Team 1: 0/1
Team 2: 0/1
Team 3: 1/1
Team 4: 2/0
Team 5: 1/1

Individual Results:
Matt Chadbourne: 10 (Round 1) + 9 (Round 2) = 19 tossups
Charles Hang: 4 (Round 1) + 12 (Round 2) = 16 tossups
Julia Price: 3 (Round 1) + 2 (Round 2) = 5 tossups
Kent Buxton: 0 (Round 1--Moderating) + 5 (Round 2) = 5 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 2 (Round 1) + 2 (Round 2) = 4 tossups
Taylor Smith: 2 (Round 1) + 1 (Round 2) = 3 tossups
Kai He: 2 (Round 1) + 0 (Round 2--Moderating) = 2 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 0 (Round 1) + 1 (Round 2) = 1 tossup
Kelson Rosbach: 0 (Round 1--Moderating) + 1 (Round 2) = 1 tossup
Mark Schneider: 1 (Round 1) + 0 (Round 2--Moderating) = 1 tossup

Now the victorious (and less than victorious) warriors march off to their well deserved victuals. More updates soon...

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Update:

Round 3:
Team 1 beat Team 5 220 to 45
Team 4 beat Team 2 285 to 20

Teams:
Team 1: 1/1
Team 2: 0/2
Team 3: 1/1
Team 4: 3/0
Team 5: 1/2

Individual Results:
Matt Chadbourne: 19 tossups + 13 (Round 3) = 32 tossups
Charles Hang: 16 tossups + 4 (Round 3) = 20 tossups
Kent Buxton: 5 tossups + 11 (Round 3) = 16 tossups
Julia Price: 5 tossups + 1 (Round 3) = 6 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 4 tossups + 0 (Round 3---moderating) = 4 tossups
Taylor Smith: 3 tossups + 0 (Round 3---moderating) = 3 tossups
Kai He: 2 tossups + 0 (Round 3) = 2 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 1 tossup + 1 (Round 3) = 2 tossups
Mark Schneider: 1 tossup + 1 tossup (Round 3) = 2 tossups
Kelson Rosbach: 1 tossup + 0 (Round 3) = 1 tossups

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Whoa Kent, what? Don't fall asleep when youre running a tournament dude.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Update:

Round 4:
Team 1 beat Team 3 250 to 110
Team 5 beat Team 2 190 to 40

Teams:
Team 1: 2/1
Team 2: 0/3
Team 3: 1/2
Team 4: 3/0
Team 5: 2/2

Individual Results:
Matt Chadbourne: 32 tossups + 0 (Round 4---moderating) = 32 tossups
Charles Hang: 20 tossups + 8 (Round 4) = 28 tossups
Kent Buxton: 16 tossups + 10 (Round 4) = 26 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 4 tossups + 4 (Round 4) = 8 tossups
Julia Price: 6 tossups + 0 (Round 4---moderating) = 6 tossups
Mark Schneider: 2 tossup + 4 tossup (Round 4) = 6 tossups
Taylor Smith: 3 tossups + 2 (Round 4) = 5 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 2 tossup + 1 (Round 4) = 3 tossups
Kai He: 2 tossups + 0 (Round 4) = 2 tossups
Kelson Rosbach: 1 tossup + 0 (Round 4) = 1 tossups

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

yeah, my alarm hates me .. or karma ... i'm not really sure which .. probably both

-kent

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Update:

Round 5:
Team 4 beat Team 3 210 to 95
Team 1 beat Team 2 290 to 50

Teams:
Team 1: 3/1
Team 2: 0/4
Team 3: 1/3
Team 4: 4/0
Team 5: 2/2

Individual Results:
Matt Chadbourne: 32 tossups + 9 (Round 5) = 41 tossups
Kent Buxton: 26 tossups + 14 (Round 5) = 40 tossups
Charles Hang: 28 tossups + 0 (Round 5---moderating) = 28 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 8 tossups + 3 (Round 5) = 11 tossups
Taylor Smith: 5 tossups + 3 (Round 5) = 8 tossups
Julia Price: 6 tossups + 1 (Round 5) = 7 tossups
Mark Schneider:6 tossups + 0 tossups (Round 5) = 6 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 4 tossups + 0 (Round 5---moderating) = 4 tossups
Kai He: 2 tossups + 2 (Round 5) = 4 tossups
Kelson Rosbach: 1 tossup + 0 (Round 5) = 1 tossups

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Final Round:

Team 3 & Team 4 beat Team 1 & Team 5 275-200

Final Individual Results:

Kent Buxton: 40 tossups + 6 (Final Round) = 46 tossups
Matt Chadbourne: 41 tossups + 3 (Final Round) = 44 tossups
Charles Hang: 28 tossups + 1 (Final Round) = 29 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 11 tossups + 4 (Final Round) = 15 tossups
Taylor Smith: 8 tossups + 2 (Round 5) = 10 tossups
Julia Price: 7 tossups + 1 (Final Round) = 8 tossups
Mark Schneider:6 tossups + 0 tossups (Final Round---moderating) = 6 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 4 tossups + 1 (Final Round) = 5 tossups
Kai He: 4 tossups + 0 (Final Round---moderating) = 4 tossups
Kelson Rosbach: 1 tossup + 0 (Final Round) = 1 tossups

Afterwards, we reshuffled the teams as so:

Team 1: Matt Chadbourne & Kelson Rosbach
Team 2: Kent Buxton & Alex Dzurick
Team 3: Julia Price & Taylor Smith
Team 4: Charles Hang & Kai He
Team 5: Ravi Fernando & Mark Schneider

In 10 question rounds:

Team 2 beat Team 3 95-45
Team 4 beat Team 5 70-65

Individual Results:

Kent Buxton: 4 tossups
Charles Hang: 3 tossups
Ravi Fernando: 2 tossups
Taylor Smith: 2 tossups
Julia Price: 1 tossup
Mark Schneider: 1 tossup
Kai He: 0 tossups
Alex Dzurick: 0 tossups
Matt Chadbourne: Moderating
Kelson Rosbach: Moderating

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Finally, Team 4 beat Team 2 110-100...

...and Matt and Kent are going to play a final round, while Team Charles Hang marches off into the sunset...

This is Charles Hang, signing off. Good night, and good luck.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The aforementioned final did not happen, as it was already 7:30 by that point and Kent and I agreed to play the final at Capote next month instead. It seemed like everyone there had a pretty good time.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Sounds like it was pretty fun. Sorry I missed it.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

DeckardCain wrote: It seemed like everyone there had a pretty good time.
I had a great time. It was fun. A little bit of a drive, but tons of fun.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Indeed, it was very fun. I look forward to possibly going next year.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Anyone interested in commenting on the tournament can discuss it here on hsquizbowl.