Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri Academic Invitational 2004

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
mujason

Post by mujason »

The following is the invitation letter for the 2004 Missouri Academic Invitational to be held November 13, 2004 at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

Dear Academic Coach,

I am pleased to announce that the Missouri Academic Invitational will be held on Saturday, November 13, 2004. The tournament will be held in the Arts and Science building on the MU campus. Trophies and medals will be given out to top teams and individuals this year.

Due to the long distances many teams must travel to get to Columbia, the tournament will begin at 9:30 a.m. A random draw of all participating teams will take place the morning of the tournament to determine opponents for the morning preliminary rounds. All teams will be guaranteed three matches in the morning (except if we have an odd number of teams, in that case, there will be one bye per round). Top teams (8 or 16, depending on attendance) will move on to the single-elimination afternoon rounds, but for teams that do not make the playoffs or get eliminated, they can still play unofficial scrimmage rounds for practice. MSHSAA rules will be followed throughout the tournament, as we are applying for being an MSHSAA-sanctioned event as usual.

The cost to play is as follows:

· We’re going to bring a team $60
· We’ll bring along a volunteer $55
· We’ll bring a working buzzer system $55
· We’ll bring a volunteer and a system $50
· We’re bringing a second team add $50.

These fees are the same as last year.

Tournament space is limited. Only the first 36 teams to reply will be accepted. To ensure your spot in the MAI, please send the entry form by November 5, 2004. Please make checks payable to MU College Bowl and include a contact email address in your reply. After your entry is received, you will receive a confirmation notice with more information. Note: you can email the filled-out entry form to me. Payment can either be sent in advance (via regular mail) or be presented on the day of the tournament. Just make sure to specify which option you choose.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me at jcmpn7@mizzou.edu or 573-771-1822. I look forward to seeing you in November.

Sincerely,
Jason Mueller,
MU College Bowl President

Please return to:
MU College Bowl
AO22 Brady Commons
Columbia, MO 65211
Or email to jcmpn7@mizzou.edu

School name: __________________________________________________________________

Coach’s name: _________________________________________________________________

School Address: ________________________________________________________________

H.S. Phone Number: ____________________________________________________________

H.S. Fax Number: ______________________________________________________________

Your Email Address: ____________________________________________________________

Approximate Enrollment: ________________________________________________________

Interested in second team? ________________________________________________________

Please return form by November 5, 2004 to ensure a spot in the 2004 MAI.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Not only is our tournament better but it is cheaper too. Also you can get enrollment off of Mshsaa website

mujason

Post by mujason »

Mr. Stallard, stop bashing our tournament! It is a great tournament and is much better than the Rolla tournaments!

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

November 13 is the same day as all-district orchestra, band, and jazz band auditions in KC... that affects several members of Liberty's team.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Just pointing out facts.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Dang, we conflict with band again!? Well, I hope Liberty still comes. I know last year Savannah got second, as Kim Kerr couldn't attend due to band. Come to Mizzou, everyone!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

A good tournament does not need to beg to get people to come

mujason

Post by mujason »

I'm not begging, I'm spreading the word about our excellent tournament! Come to Mizzou, as we have a great tournament and you can see firsthand that Bill Stallard is just jealous and cannot stand that Mizzou and its quiz bowl experiences are better than Rolla and its quiz bowl experiences!

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Actually, the main conflict is orchestra, with three members of our team. On a side note, our school musical is that night, which affects (at least) two members.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

How many tournament did you guys do to last season? i have 2 (and one of those was just because NAQT needed place holders) As for exprience how about a team putting together an Intramural team, or reaching out to other schools to practice against? Which one of use had his teammates impeach him? How many tournaments have you run Jason? I'm at 4 and after this season I will be at 9. So what is the overall exprience that is better at mizzou, putting up with your ego? One might say you are jealous that a school 10% the size of mizzou is a better school and the team for said school has fun playing quiz bowl and goes to 3 times as many tournament as you do.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Mr. Stallard, we are planning on going to many tournaments this year; last year was an anomaly. We will run great tournaments, we will do well at tournaments, and we will prove that we are the best program in the area. Also, we here at Mizzou have done better at tournaments than you Rolla folks have.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

well in the past two years we have only played against you in the same tournament twice (CBI) and last year you finished better than we did but the year before that we beat you guys. and in three years of college bowl jason I believe Rolla is 2-1 agianst mizzou planning and doing is two different things

:P

mujason

Post by mujason »

Let's see. Who won Route 66 in 2002? We did. Who won TRASH Regionals in 2002? We did. Who played in the last three NAQT Nationals? We did. Who went to TRASHionals? We did. Who's going to win when we face off this year? We will.

M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

NAQT only because you hosted the worst ever sectional in NAQT history, and last year because wash U needed fill in teams. I believe you guys only won three games

;) Why did you win Trash regionals caused you stayed away from Battleplanet(which by the way is listed as OU and Rolla

;) ) You may have went to TRASHionals but Rolla won it in 2002, took 2nd in 2001(Ben Lea is our coach) and 2003 and took3rd last year so suck on it Jason. Is it true NAQT will not let you be the TD again for any of their tournaments?

List of national champs look at the Trashionals

mujason

Post by mujason »

I haven't heard anything about NAQT not letting me be a TD for any of their tournaments. And when we play TRASH we don't get any help from OU; it's all Tiger Power for us.

Anyway, back to the actual topic. Come to the Mizzou high school tournament on November 13.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I find it funny Rolla hosts more tournament in a year than you went too last season

mujason

Post by mujason »

It's not my fault that last year's incompetent coup couldn't obtain transportation.
Anyway, I'm back and we will be coming to tournaments. (Although I'm unsure about Rollapalooza/FOGHAT, not because of your rude flaming/dissing of me and Mizzou, but because I'm unsure I can get people to go to Rolla during Homecoming weekend).

Anyway, can we stay on topic? Come to Mizzou November 13!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

You are just scared of Battleplanet at FOGHAT simple as that. How do you get transportion when you can't even drive your self?

mujason

Post by mujason »

I have never skipped a tournament because I was scared!!!!! I went to the Chicago Open after my freshman year! Would a scared person do that?!?! I am not scared of Battleplanet!

Now back to topic: Come to Mizzou November 13!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

in that chicago open weren't you Mike's little whipping boy errrrr team mate

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Definitely sounds like you're begging, Jason. And to my knowledge, only one or two coaches visit and/or post here. Plus KC's already committed to Smithville (I told Jeff they'd get a better glimpse of state competition at your tournament in a decent format (flimsy MEC), but Smithville's sounding like a better leadoff tourney than Lee's Scummit North) and teams from STL will lack math and science players.

You try inviting Kirksville? Hannibal? The NCMC might just be your best bet.

Wishing I could get our guys to host a HS tourney,
Der Reichsminister of Propaganda.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Maybe we should set up a poll and think if jason is begging

mujason

Post by mujason »

Maybe we should set up a poll and see if you're a major rude jerk.

P.S. You've never even been to our tournament. Why don't you ask Paul Nelson about our tournament? He's actually helped out with it (and even wrote a few questions for it two years ago).

Also, if anybody actually has coaches' e-mail addresses, pass them along to me.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah why don't we ask paul, I don't know who bashes you more me or him

L-Town Expatriate

One more year of this bickering, and the real college bowl power will arise with little or no formidable challengers...
Thank you Tom, Black Jack, and Harry.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I like SEMO or SMS chances

mujason

Post by mujason »

SEMO, yeah, they're fun. I like scoring 17 tossups in a game and winning 475 to minus 5. Of course they were supposed to come to our NAQT Sectional; they no-showed and screwed up the Division II bracket.
SMS, well, they can improve; isn't Darren Wood going there?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

A good TD except things to go wrong and plan for them, not coming up with a new bracket as you hold up the tournament

L-Town Expatriate

Yeah, very funny. I of course am referring to the school where all of its returning in-state members have earned all-district honors, and almost all have state championship experience. The school where 24 students expressed interest in joining the team this year. The school which will successfully defend its Region 11 CBI Title.

I'm fairly certain you both knew what I was getting at to begin with.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Maybe we should set up a poll and think if jason is begging
Maybe we should set up a poll and see if [Bill is] a major rude jerk.
I'd vote yes in both. Just a thought.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Francesco Borromini

Post by Francesco Borromini »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: teams from STL will lack math and science players.
Well, I consider myself a passable science player, but the only reason I might have a problem is all-district choir that day. Darn it...and I had looked forward to going...I'll pass this on to my coach anyway. Thanks Jason.

JayChamp

Post by JayChamp »

Hey, this is Manda. I'm on the Viburnum team, and I was just wondering what time the tourney would be over on Saturday, cause I have a Story of the Year concert to attend. Can anyone get me a schedule? I LOVE KU!!

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

well knowing how Jason runs tournaments, midnight maybe 1am

mujason

Post by mujason »

Shut up, Bill. I'm just about to send out tournament info. Registration will start at 8:30 a.m. and the tournament should be over at 5 p.m. (sooner for teams that get eliminated earlier and don't want to play the playoff packets for fun). Also, ku stinks.

JayChamp

Post by JayChamp »

Alright thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately, our main tourney scheduler screwed some stuff up, and we have transportation, so looks like I'll get to see SOTY afterwhile. And don't diss KU, I was talkin bou basketball anyway. I don't know squat about other teams.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

FYI- Darren isn't going to play College Bowl.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

JayChamp wrote: cause I have a Story of the Year concert to attend
And you didn't invite me? I see how you are.

:(

What teams are coming so far?

mujason

Post by mujason »

So far, we have Pilot Grove, Tuscumbia, Viburnum, Rock Bridge (1 or 2), Boonville, and Helias (2); although I just heard that Eureka may be coming. Also, I sent out the e-mail with details out to Matt, so make sure he forwards it to the Viburnum coach.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I already took care of that.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Thanks, Matt.