Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NAQT MO State Qualifier (2/16/08) at UMR/Mo S&T

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

edit: see below

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

NKC A, probably B, and if things really pull together, C will be there.

KentB

Post by KentB »

so i guess you guys aren't going to acf regionals ? .... cuz i really want to if we can afford it

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB wrote: so i guess you guys aren't going to acf regionals ? .... cuz i really want to if we can afford it
Yeah, it doesn't look like we're going to make it to regionals this year. I kind of wanted to go, too, but this was pretty much the only day we could host, and I really want to make this tournament happen this year.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

I just discovered a conflict for this and for the March 8 tournament.

On February 16, there is a tournament at Warrenton. We sort of bipassed this tournament for Truman State last year (although we were snowed out so never got up to Truman). They are in our conference and I hate to skip out two years in a row when he is doing his best to get things going again.

I am still contemplating . . . .

On March 8, we have our conference tournament. We won't skip that even if Francis Howell Central will be our only tough match. Our school likes winning conference titles. (we get the same award you would get for any other sport).

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The UMR/Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization would like to invite you to the NAQT Missouri State Qualifier, to be held on our scenic campus in Rolla, Missouri on February 16, 2008.

Format:

This tournament will be run in the college format. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each, and if answered correctly are followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. We will be including powers and negs, and following the official NAQT rules found at http://www.naqt.com/rules.html with the exception that games will not be timed.

The questions for this tournament will be provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments. This tournament is intended to qualify teams for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be held May 23-25, 2008 in Chicago, Illinois, though all teams are welcome to compete regardless of whether they intend to advance to national competition. The top 15% of the field will qualify for the NAQT HSNCT; more specific information on qualifying can be found at http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html. Pending affiliation, this tournament will also be a qualifier for the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship (PACE NSC), to be held May 31-June 1, 2008 at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, and the top two or four teams (depending on final field size) will qualify.

At the moment, we are limiting the field to twenty-four teams, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams.

The tournament will feature a bracketed round robin and playoff, the exact specifications of which will be determined by the final field size. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies.

Pricing:

Base fee for first team: $50
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $40
Moderator discount: $5 discount for each competent moderator your school brings
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Buzzer borrowing discount: $5 discount if we have borrowed your buzzer for an intercollegiate event
Alumnus discount: $5 discount if your school has an alumnus on the UMR team
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Early registration discount: $5 discount if your registration is received before January 16, 2008

Formalities:

To sign up for the tournament, please email me, Matt Chadbourne, at mwcbp3@umr.edu, and include the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing. Registration will begin at 8:00. We will have a short meeting at 8:50, and the first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, each team in attendance will receive a copy of the questions used.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the ACO webpage (http://web.umr.edu/~cbowl) and on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://z4.invisionfree.com/academic_competition). Both will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this February and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions about the tournament, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Matt Chadbourne

President, UMR/MST Academic Competition Organization

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also, for small schools, the top finishing small school gets a bid too, as long as they finish in the middle of the field or better.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I chose to link to the official qualification guidelines instead of writing it all out in the invitation proper, but yeah, that's correct.

Also, this is just a notice that we probably won't run this thing with less than about 8 teams.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'll update this as more teams register.

Current field: 10 teams

Fordland
Helias (2)
Pleasant Hope
North Kansas City
Richland (2)
Salem (3)

Last updated: 2/13/08, 11:21 am

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

Add Fordland to this list also. This will be awesome to get to compete for a National tournament spot. It will also be a new experience for us in that we have always played MSHSAA format. I like the practice NAQT question sets I've seen, so it should be cool.

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

Have you thought about trying to advertise on the MACA upcoming tournaments listing site (or is that an option). BTW, I've never had any luck figuring out how to post our tournament there, so if anyone could explain what I'm doing incorrectly, I'd appreciate it.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Hm... we're going to Warrenton, but I'll ask Mr. Harris and the team if they'll be interested in this. Going to a national tournament would be something cool.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I will email Mr. Gibbs and ask about listing our tournaments on the MACA page. I used to have the password needed to add tournaments, but I can't find it.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, since wildcard bids are now banned per MSHSAA guidelines, teams that wish to play in the NAQT HSNCT have to qualify at an NAQT tournament. Shawn, did you hear back from NAQT as to whether state champions qualify?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

If you mean MSHSAA champions, no they don't.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

I am so pumped I am really nevous about using another format other than MSHSAA but I am very excited to see how we will do also.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

DeckardCain wrote:Shawn, did you hear back from NAQT as to whether state champions qualify?
R. Robert Hentzel wrote: Shawn --

NAQT has always interpreted the phrase "similar to NAQT" very broadly; essentially any game with a buzzer-based component and mostly academic questions qualifies.

So, both the VHSL and MSHSAA champions qualify, but they would have in years past as well.

R.
All four state champions will qualify. I'm not 100% sure if second and third place finishers would qualify, if the first place finisher already qualified through other methods. IIRC, NKC has already qualified...

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Wait, whoops, I was thinking about the guaranteed spot they save for state winners. That's the one that only applies to an NAQT state championship, or at least it did last year.
Also, yes, North Kansas City is already both NAQT and PACE qualified, as is Liberty. Savannah only has the PACE qualification right now.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We've signed up at this point, but apparently St. Jo Christian decided to move their tournament up to this date. How should we deal with this, because I think that is going to suck teams away by a lot. If there is any way we can convince that team to move their tournament again that might be the best, because I'd hate to see this thing gutted more.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Speaking of which, why haven't you guys signed up for the spring tournament?

The situation is a little unfortunate, but it happens. I'll add here that there is zero date flexibility on our end.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I don't know why we aren't signed up for the spring because I told Mr. Allen to email you about it.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i havent heard much about this tournament in a while
any new info?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Not really anything new to report... the field update a few posts up is still correct.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

thanks

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Yeah, we're not going. I have an interview that day, and we're signed up for Warrenton (which we may not go to either on account of my absence)

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

im pretty excited about this tourny
id love to be able to go to a national tournament

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

What will the format be for this? Assuming its still 8 teams I would personally support a full round robin and then splitting into 2 playoff pools, playing another round robin, and then having an ACF rules final where if one team clears the field by 2 wins, they win, if 2 teams are tied they playone game, and if there's a one game difference between 2 teams they do a best 2-of-3.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I think we're up to either 10 or 11 teams, actually. I support giving teams as many games as we can while still finishing at a reasonable time, though the final format will of course depend on how many teams we have. I'm open to input on this.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

In any circumstances I would like to see an ACF/collegial way to determine the champion as opposed to any elimination bracket. If it's up to 11 teams it might be more feasible to just run a full pool and then do whatever finals are necessary.

FordATeam/CC

Post by FordATeam/CC »

ashkenaziCD wrote: NKC A, probably B, and if things really pull together, C will be there.
Hey Charles, any chance of those B and/or C teams coming along? You guys only have one team listed on the official roster.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No they aren't, not from a lack of people who are interested, but because our coach has decided to just not take out people who might run the risk of "embarrassing" our team because he's decided to set the bar insanely high for letting people play. I think this is a horrible idea, but whatever.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

there is one week left and I am uber excited. I have prepaired as well as I can and hopefully it will be good enough.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

he's decided to set the bar insanely high for letting people play
I agree completely. There should be a quality meter for the A team, and possibly the B team if there are a lot of people interested. By not letting inexperienced people play, you leave them out of a great opportunity to expand their skills and get better.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i've tried to do all i can too
is there going to be all honors at this tournament?
just curious

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

We'll announce an all-tournament team, though we probably won't hand out individual prizes.

I'm waiting on a couple of things to be finalized on our end, but I should have final logistics set up in a day or two.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

so there is seriously like 2 inches of ice in fordland and I was wondering if this was still going to happen this saturday.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

We're still planning on hosting. Roads are basically clear in Rolla and I think tomorrow and Thursday are supposed to be warmer.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah in general it's not a good idea to judge how restricting the weather will be 4 days before a tournament, or any other time until around 18 hours before the tournament starts.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

Be Prepaired or somthing like that.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i hope it warms up between now and then
if not, im still gonna have about 3 inches of ice on my driveway

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Tomorrow's high is supposed to be in the 50s, so hopefully some of the ice will melt. Anyway, we have ten teams and the field is closed.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

so are we going to draw for a seed and then play whoever draws the matching seed, or is is like a pool?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Drawing numbers for a seed is a practice that should be abolished unless it involves a swiss pair. Hopefully this tournament will use at least a full round robin, because it's not hard to run 9 games on these packets in a decent amount of time.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

So were going and I'm ready to go. I would also like to do a round robin then have like best four teams and then do a bracket to find a champion, I think we all know who is going to win but it would give two
more games to the top four teams.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well I don't like the idea of giving the top bracket more games then the teams not in the top bracket beyond the finals, but yeah I would also really like to get 9 prelim games and then 3 rebracketed games and then finals if needed. There should be plenty of packets for that in an IS set.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i want to qualify for a national tournament
i know whose gonna win
but i still want to at least qualify

leftsaidfred

Post by leftsaidfred »

The top four teams will qualify for PACE.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

1. NKC
2. Helias A
3. Richland A
4. Fordland

Stats

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

Very well run tournament guys great job. I liked most of the questions, though some were stuff that I have never heard, not saying their too hard im saying im not as good of a player as I should be. Also, this was our first time ever off mshsaa style so we did not do too bad. I had a lot of fun so yah good tournament. Though the questions were a little inconsistant. Congrats to NKC and Mr. Dees for a tournament well played.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, Rolla did a fantastic job hosting. There wasn't a poorly run room, and they managed to get 10 rounds in before 4 which is a very solid achievement. I'll echo the inconsistent questions complaint, but that has absolutely nothing to do with Rolla's team, and in general I still think this is a great step forward now that this tournament is happening. Hopefully this tournament will gain some more prestige over the next couple of years.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

....I wish I was there.