Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Your Favourite Music

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Charlie Dees

Your Favourite Music

Post by Charlie Dees »

don´t lose any appendages in the pit
That's a nice way to send someone off to their first concert.

dirtybird06

Your Favourite Music

Post by dirtybird06 »

ashkenaziCD wrote: That's a nice way to send someone off to their first concert.
I've got a better one. I was told not to get shot or do any meth before I went to my first concert.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

well, my appendages and i survived, in case you were wondering.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

i went to the fall out boy show the other night, mostly by chance. actually wholly by chance. (opening were +44, the academy is, paul wall, and cobra starship.)
i shan't lie...
i was most excited about seeing cobra starship. and i was most impressed by the academy is. fall out boy...meh. lol.

i was reminded of this because i'm subbing for seventh grade FACS (haha) and one of my students is wearing a FOB tee.

and apparently i am not strong enough for outdoor concerts--we'd gotten there early to easily snag our front-row positions in the pit, and five minutes before the first band (cobra starship) started playing i very nearly passed out (from the heat, i guess). i spent the majority of the cobra starship and paul wall sets sitting down. :-X (except for snakes on a plane, DUH)

i got guitar picks from ryan of cobra starship and joe of fall out boy. my companion (concert expert) got the same picks AND set lists for FOB, TAI, and cobra. goodness.

Charlie Dees

Your Favourite Music

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm still confused at the presence of Paul Wall in that lineup.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

No flipping kidding. they were awful.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Your Favourite Music

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: cobra starship
Is this what Jefferson Airplane is calling themselves now?

Just kidding; stupid comment. I'll go away now.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Is this what Jefferson Airplane is calling themselves now?
not gonna lie, i thought of that one, too!

of course, my knowledge of jefferson airplane is limited to the relient k song "jefferson aeroplane" which has nothing to do with the original band.
but still.

Charlie Dees

Your Favourite Music

Post by Charlie Dees »

Wait, is Paul Wall a band? I just know the Paul "Grillz" Wall rapper.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

well, yeah, it was him and two other people. that's all i meant. it was the first time i'd ever heard of him and i was not feeling my finest, sorry for the confusion.

STPickrell

Your Favourite Music

Post by STPickrell »

Melanie loves the 1950s channel on XM radio, so I had her listen to the 1956 Eurovision contest. She seemed to like most of the songs, but fussed and nearly started crying during the German songs. Only my assurances that the German would be over and the presence of a long stretch of non-German songs calmed her down. She is now sleeping her morning nap.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

sooooooo, I just got back from the (drumroll): Bianca Ryan, Drake Bell, Corbin Bleu, and Aly & AJ show.

(shoutout to Caitlin!)

And...I had a blast. Why is pop music so wonderful...!!

And I am MOST CERTAINLY going to see the Spice Girls December 14, in case anyone was wondering.

AShoaib

Your Favourite Music

Post by AShoaib »

I've only heard of two of those guys. That Corbin guy is that stock minority in High School Musical right? And Drake Bell... yeah, he's the guy from that Nickelodeon show (Drake and Josh) and the movie (Your's, Mine, and Ours).

I stick to "The Pillows" and "Asian Kung Fu Generation". Bands from the Land of the Rising Sun. They're rock-ish. Then there's also "Maximum the Hormone", some Japanese metal band.

Pop music in general is okay. The Red Hot Chili Peppers is good. I also like Green Day. Panic! At the Disco is "meh". I just like that one song, "I Write Sins".

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

so the video for avril lavigne's "gf" is the second-most-viewed of all videos on youtube...wtf??? it's just not a good video...

(lol, sorry, i was thinking about how i used to <3 avril a lot but i don't understand the, um, direction she's gone musically.)
(of course, i was also 15 when i was first hearing her...)

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Your Favourite Music

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

LibertyMarie wrote: (lol, sorry, i was thinking about how i used to <3 avril a lot but i don't understand the, um, direction she's gone musically.)
Yeah, and you were around me when Courtney Hickman and Tyler Richenberger spliced my photo with hers and slapped it on the page right before my ridiculously huge story on the 250-mile rule.

She's not punk and she's not emo, hence “when emo kids scream “More Cowbell”, it’s to drown out Avril Lavigne's latest pop release”. Why doesn't she just run for Canadian Parliament already!?

East Buc & UMR

Your Favourite Music

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I'm torn.... Which is a better song?

Shut up and Drive by Rihanna

or

Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie

STPickrell

Your Favourite Music

Post by STPickrell »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
LibertyMarie wrote: (lol, sorry, i was thinking about how i used to <3 avril a lot but i don't understand the, um, direction she's gone musically.)
Yeah, and you were around me when Courtney Hickman and Tyler Richenberger spliced my photo with hers and slapped it on the page right before my ridiculously huge story on the 250-mile rule.

She's not punk and she's not emo, hence “when emo kids scream “More Cowbell”, it’s to drown out Avril Lavigne's latest pop release”. Why doesn't she just run for Canadian Parliament already!?
This is totally unrelated to music, but I always thought Belinda Stronach was attractive. Or is it 'politician goggles'?

L-Town Expatriate

Your Favourite Music

East Buc & UMR wrote:I'm torn.... Which is a better song?

Shut up and Drive by Rihanna

or

Big Girls Don't Cry by Fergie
Me singing either of them? :wacko: :wacko:
STPickrell wrote:This is totally unrelated to music, but I always thought Belinda Stronach was attractive. Or is it 'politician goggles'?
Definitely politician goggles. And an opportunist at that; jumped to the Liberals when Harper took over the Conservatives.

STPickrell

Your Favourite Music

Post by STPickrell »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
STPickrell wrote:This is totally unrelated to music, but I always thought Belinda Stronach was attractive. Or is it 'politician goggles'?
Definitely politician goggles. And an opportunist at that; jumped to the Liberals when Harper took over the Conservatives.
I'm also a fan of Athina Onassis Roussel and JK Rowling.

As for switching parties, Winston Churchill switched twice. So that alone is not a problem.

L-Town Expatriate

Your Favourite Music

STPickrell wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
I'm also a fan of Athina Onassis Roussel and JK Rowling.

As for switching parties, Winston Churchill switched twice. So that alone is not a problem.
He was certainly an opportunist; needed to find a way to save face after botching up Gallipoli.

Charlie Dees

Your Favourite Music

Post by Charlie Dees »

GALLIPOLI WAS A FUNN TIME

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

high school musical 2.

L-Town Expatriate

Your Favourite Music

LibertyMarie wrote: high school musical 2.
The whole concept of Disney's High School Musical is 1) allegedly stolen from someone and 2) downright stupid. If I want to watch a high school musical, I'll go to an actual high school performing an actual musical!!

KentB

Your Favourite Music

Post by KentB »

i agree with kyle on that one

what are you doing with yourself now kyle ? .. haven't heard any reports on that front in quite a while ... in kville or ltown or what ?

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: The whole concept of Disney's High School Musical is 1) allegedly stolen from someone and 2) downright stupid.  If I want to watch a high school musical, I'll go to an actual high school performing an actual musical!!
I don't know if we can be friends if you can say such hurtful things about Zac Efron. He loves me--see my facebook quotes for evidence of that!

Anyhow, I wouldn't think the concept is really ORIGINAL enough to steal from anybody...?? A high school does a musical! I'm sure two separate people could NEVER come up with that on their own.

And, no, I'm not going to say that Disney Channel Originals are cinematic masterpieces, but this is the music thread...and the music sure is catchy.

...Kyle, have you ever gone to an actual high school performing an actual musical?

KentB

Your Favourite Music

Post by KentB »

I love musical theatre and did the musicals in high school ... but in no way do I recognize High School Musical as anything more than a kids movie with horrible lyrics such as:

Everyone is special in their own way
We make each other strong (each other strong)
Were not the same
Were different in a good way
Together's where we belong

Wow ..... could have been written by a 3rd grader....

and yes, I am picking on that song because it is what I saw on a Disney channel preview or somewhere ... and I was appalled at the overall cheesiness of the whole thing

but it's Disney so I guess I shouldn't have expected it to be profound or anything but hearing that song made me want to *insert desperate action here involving sharp object and small fluffy animal*

but that's just my take on it ... nothing against anyone who actually likes it .... but come on, Marie ... are you just watching it for Zac Efron ???

:P

AShoaib

Your Favourite Music

Post by AShoaib »

HSM's lyrics are far too cheesy. The story's about as original as the US Version of Super Mario 2 (Wikipedia Doki Doki Panic). The actors are too "teen-model" material for my liking. That being said, this is just my opinion after watching a few of the songs' videos and reading Wikipedia and magazine articles about HSM. Oh, and 'oly !@#$, they made a SEQUEL? Why are girls who I deem intelligent watching that!?!??

flycaitiee69

Your Favourite Music

Post by flycaitiee69 »

High School Musical is amazing, and Zac Efron's hotness may or may not have something to do with that.

I would love it even without Zac, though. ...Corbin is awfully cute, too.

Cheesy movies are just fun! My current favourites (and I have this feeling Marie's faves might be strangely similar to these): She's the Man, Hairspray, and High School Musical. Possibly HSM2, but I fell asleep while watching it so I'm not sure yet.

:( I'll let you know later this afternoon.

:wub:

Delish.

AShoaib

Your Favourite Music

Post by AShoaib »

Hairspray has that "Zac Efron" bloke doesn't it? At least, the new version does. Bloke. Bloke. That's a fun word. Bloke.

redliberte

Your Favourite Music

Post by redliberte »

zac efron's hair looks like his mother cuts it using a bowl for a guide. for seriously.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

No, I wouldn't love the first movie without Zac Efron. But movie two, yes...it has soooo much LUCAS GRABEEL of Springfield, MO!

And, yes, Zac Efron is in Hairspray. But that one I would love without him--any movie where Christopher Walken grabs John Travolta's butt is WORTH SEEING.

jcarkeys

Your Favourite Music

Post by jcarkeys »

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

OBVIOUSLY zac leaked the photos so she'd get mad and break up with him.

Charlie Dees

Your Favourite Music

Post by Charlie Dees »

I was in a quizbowl chat last night that devolved into players from DC posting links to those pics.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

I wasn't selected to get the password to buy Spice Girls tickets

:(

(but the cheap seats, the ones Ticketmaster literally says are not for people who have a fear of heights, cost 55 pounds, so in all honesty even getting a password wouldn't get me any closer to exercising too much Girl Power...)

AShoaib

Your Favourite Music

Post by AShoaib »

Franz Ferdinand anyone?

KentB

Your Favourite Music

Post by KentB »

i shot him

AShoaib

Your Favourite Music

Post by AShoaib »

Damn you! >:(

At least my suicide attempt didn't fail.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

mmm, I just saw Wicked...seriously overrated, yes, but it was an enjoyable evening.

STPickrell

Your Favourite Music

Post by STPickrell »

LibertyMarie wrote: I wasn't selected to get the password to buy Spice Girls tickets

:(

(but the cheap seats, the ones Ticketmaster literally says are not for people who have a fear of heights, cost 55 pounds, so in all honesty even getting a password wouldn't get me any closer to exercising too much Girl Power...)
55 pounds, that's like what, about $350 or so these days?

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

OH MY GAH I HAVE A CODE
I WOULD RATHER I DIDN'T
SO THAT ME NOT BEING ABLE TO GO WOULDN'T BE MY OWN DECISION
: (

the cheap seats aren't even available for the nights i could go. that means i'd be shelling out $160 to go STAG. not gonna happen. : (

KentB

Your Favourite Music

Post by KentB »

my current concert list:

October 21- Brand New/Thrice/mewithoutYou @ The Pagaent
November 15- Modest Mouse/Man Man/Love as Laughter @ The Blue Note

I would like to see Lovedrug but they are on tour with Yellowcard/Blue October/Shiny Toy Guns and that drives the ticket price way up and I don't care about seeing the other bands.

Andy Hull/Kevin Devine/Owen is another great tour going around soon but the closest they are coming is Champaign/Urbana and it's on a bad date, if I recall correctly.

The Kings of Leon/Manchester Orchestra/BMRC tour isn't coming close either.... nor is Say Anything (the closest they come is Witchita on the same night as BN).

I would like to see Jimmy Eat World but we'll see on that... and yeah .. tons of others I would like to see. .. I just missed the chance to see Wilco due to *gasp* school.

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

I'm going to see the Spice Girls.

B)

East Buc & UMR

Your Favourite Music

Post by East Buc & UMR »

What happend to it costs to much?

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

I think my parents are financing it. hahaha. merry Christmas to me. (plus I was able to get a "cheap" seat, so it wasn't quite as bad.)

Death

Your Favourite Music

Post by Death »

oops. i posted in Adam's crappy thread of the same topic

;) oh well. i'll just say it again. country and heavy metal. odd, i know, but cmon you cant beat some strait, jones, garth brooks, tracey lawrence, randy travis, merle haggard or yoakam when you're depressed, or some Judas Priest, Bloodbath, Agony Scene, Slayer, Metallica (pre ...and justice for all) burzum, amon amarth, black label society, iron maiden, lamb of god, pantera, mastodon, or megadeth when you're ticked off. we all know that. oh. and Chance Ray Band lol (maybe three of you will get that joke)

Ford08

Your Favourite Music

Post by Ford08 »

Hell, Ya Chance Ray Band. Rock Me Momma, and I'll Never Drink Whiskey Again.

LittleMissLit

Your Favourite Music

Post by LittleMissLit »

Chadley, "Rock Me Momma" is actually called Wagon Wheel.

;)

Death

Your Favourite Music

Post by Death »

yeah, but more importantly, thats an old crow medicine show song...everyone knows that :rolleyes:

LibertyMarie

Your Favourite Music

Post by LibertyMarie »

the hush sound's new album, "goodbye blues"

and panic at the disco seriously surprised me with "pretty. odd."...i think i LOVE it. i had no idea i was a panic fan!