Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Harry Potter, major spoilers probably

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

LibertyMarie wrote: actually, i was just thinking of that earlier today.
anyone know when that will be taking place?
because it struck me today that
i will be in london next semester and...
I MIGHT GET TO SEE HARRY POTTER NAKED. :lol:
Check here for details about the show

Dunno if you'll be there in 16 weeks.

I'm sure there're other, cheaper peep shows if that's what you're after Marie...

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

gaaaaaah ewwwwww!!!!
dude, i wanted to see the play so i could tell the STORY about it (you can't deny it would be a great story), not to--eww, i don't want to see harry potter naked!!! EW!!!!!!!!
LMAO, i don't sound like a 12-year-old or anything...

16 weeks, eh...guess i won't have to worry about it. lol. que lastima. i can't believe this business doesn't violate some sort of contract with warner brothers or something...! (i'm assuming he has to be free by midsummer for promotions for OOTP.)

(and why did i never see the earlier post??)

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

lala

"But his new look is an added source of discomfort for his film bosses, who last year banned him from working out during shooting of the fifth movie, Harry Potter And The Order Of The Phoenix, for fear he would appear too mature."
lol! no beef for you, harry potter.
"harry potter is a boy, not a piece of meat!"

"Also provoking concern are his recent comments that he hopes the character which made him an international child star will be killed off when Miss Rowling's seventh and final book in the series, Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows, is published in July."
jerk!

"There were just five people in the room at first, but once he and Joanna had done them a few times, they were happy for the whole company to be around."
that's what she said.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

and who knew that in the UK, there are separate editions published for adults and children?? man, I don't know which ones I'll buy...
I seriously had never heard of this. i suppose the only differences are the covers, rather than content...lol

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

yeah, i'm not as impressed with the UK kids cover as I am with the US cover. it's pretty cool!- and Harry's on a broom, i wonder what he's reaching for??
i think i read once that the rationale behind the separate covers is because adults who enjoy harry potter didn't want to look like they were reading kids books. that sounds kind of stupid to me, but whatever. i say get both editions, or pick the one with the better cover

:)

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

sigh...

in a related note, by this time four weeks from now i will know how it all ends. eeee!!!

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

< ten hours! eeee!
(and I only have 300 pages left of the book I'd intended to have reread before the movie...heh.)

(well, either that or eleven days...)

My first midnight premiere since Star Wars ROTS! (Making it my second ever...well, plus Snakes on a Plane, but that one they actually showed at 10.) woot. (Yes, I'm way too old for this junk.)

ecks

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: My first midnight premiere since Star Wars ROTS!  (Making it my second ever...well, plus Snakes on a Plane, but that one they actually showed at 10.)  woot.  (Yes, I'm way too old for this junk.)
This will be my 4th midnight showing. Also did:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
LOTR: ROTK
Star Wars: ROTS

I'm going to Macon with a bunch of other preceptors at JBA who have the night off. It will rock worlds. Kirksville sold out in the first 1/2 hour or so after they started selling tickets at 3, but Macon had only sold 29 of ~200ish tickets as of 8pm. Crazy.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

gaaah, so many HP avatars, so little time...

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

-NOT ENOUGH MALE HAWTNESS, but the brief inclusion of Cedric Diggory was much appreciated.
-NO QUIDDITCH WTF, I think this is probably my biggest beef cuts-wise, it is SUCH an important factor in the book.
-Very little humor. Nothing came close GOF's "Viktor's more of a physical being" or POA's Hermione punching Malfoy. (Although this area can be helped if you approach the Occlumency lesson scenes with a VERY dirty/desperate for humor mindset...)
-Not nearly as much violence as I was anticipating! "Siriusly," people, the ending of this book is NOT PLEASANT; NO ONE emerges unscathed! I want to see some flying brains, dawg!
-I was VERY disappointed by the mere half-second's glimpse into Snape's memories. WHY did they BOTHER casting someone to be Lily Evans? Did we see her? I think not.

Plus I found the movie very confusing--and I've read the book multiple times!

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

Get over it Marie. It was, in fact, ballin'

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

I loved the scene transitions, using the newspaper articles/photos/interviews and such.

I promise I'm not the grumpy fan-who's-bitter-because-not-every-book-detail-made-it-to-the-movie. I'm all for interpretation rather than an exact retelling (like V for Vendetta--great in both media). And, yes, part of that is because if you make a movie that's exactly the book, well...how would a book read if you tore out pages with important information? You'd have to redo the story to not NEED those anymore, so nothing later in the plot relies on those details and backstory. y'know?

BUT, that in mind, thinking of the newspaperness, I'm really sad that Harry's tell-all interview in the Quibbler was gone. It's the reason the student body begins to have some sympathy for him and his story.

And, thinking about Rita Skeeter reminded me, I wish the movies (yes, I know they're made by different people) would decide whether to be "H/HR" or "R/HR" (to use fangirl-ese). LMAO. The books are certainly R/HR, and this movie, yes, has to be what with Cho and all, but movie 4 is QUITE H/HR. haha. I mean, I tend to lean H/HR in general but this movie had me thinking "why don't you just make out already" in reference to Ron and Hermione alllllll the time. haha.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

Get over it Marie. It was, in fact, ballin'
i agree.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

LibertyMarie wrote: I wish the movies (yes, I know they're made by different people) would decide whether to be "H/HR" or "R/HR" (to use fangirl-ese). LMAO. The books are certainly R/HR, and this movie, yes, has to be what with Cho and all, but movie 4 is QUITE H/HR. haha. I mean, I tend to lean H/HR in general but this movie had me thinking "why don't you just make out already" in reference to Ron and Hermione alllllll the time. haha.
H/HR = Harry/Hermione and R/HR = Ron/Hermione, right?

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

yep.

ecks

Post by ecks »

Personally, I was a big fan of the portrayal of Luna Lovegood. She's one of my favorite characters, and the girl who played her had the right amount of sweetness and creepiness mixed together, not overdoing either one.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

redliberte wrote: yep.
Then I must confess that I am a moderate R/HR shipper, although the prospect of writing a story about it ... worries me.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

all righty, I finished rereading OOTP.

...aaaaand am realizing that I remember NOTHING of HBP. maybe when DH comes out I should NOT stay up all night to read it...I have this problem, see, of not remembering things that occur late at night (like midnight showings of movies, *cough*)...haha. I'm all, whaa, Harry and Ginny, siriusly, I don't remember that junk.

the end.

Snape is a very sneaky man...

flycaitiee69

Post by flycaitiee69 »

ecks wrote: Personally, I was a big fan of the portrayal of Luna Lovegood. She's one of my favorite characters, and the girl who played her had the right amount of sweetness and creepiness mixed together, not overdoing either one.
From what I've heard, she isn't even an actual actress, at least not before the movie. She read the books and was like, 'I can do that part perfectly.' She was determined to get the role, and somehow she managed to.

I adored her. I'm pretty sure I want to be her.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

I'm not gonna have HBP reread by Friday evening. And I remember ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about it, so it must be reread before I begin DH. : (
Next two days of babysitting=movie movie movie, I guess! Only it has to be Barbie or something I won't want to watch...ooh, Pete's Dragon, that's LONG and I HATE it...hahaha.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

The manuscript's been leaked, and sources tell me that Wikipedia and YTMND has spoilers. I'm too old-fashioned to go on those sites now. I'm going to read the book. Eventually.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

NO SPOILERS ON THIS THREAD UNTIL THE BOOK COMES OUT, THANK YOU VERY MUCH

shoot dang, i'd been planning to not get online until after i finish the book, but i'd also been planning to start that at midnight saturday morning, not now...maybe i need to.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

i'm not going to have hbp finished either, my sister took it with her to yearbook camp... oh well, there's detailed summaries on the internets, some people really have too much time on their hands.

gah! don't want any spoilers! can't wait until saturday midnight!

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

okay, I've made up my mind, I am going to try to not be online between now and when I've finished DH. or at least avoid im/news sites/facebook/xanga/here/anywhere besides the apple store where I'm hoping for the $180 ipod to pop up again. (im and "here" because I don't trust Bill, I'm not gonna lie.) It's been fun, kiddies, see you Saturday night at the earliest!

AS OF SATURDAY THIS THREAD IS FAIR GAME FOR SPOILERS. (As for me setting rules about this, I say it falls under "be friendly" in the Rules.) Yes, so if you get the book at midnight and are an, um, unconventional reader and read the ending first, you can post it here then. everyone please keep that in mind!

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

well, if we're calling that the rule, then i'll be gone until i finish it- hopefully sometime saturday

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

Someone at the publisher is going to get fired over this. I am surprised Books 5 and 6 were as well-kept secrets as they were.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

What you don't want to know who dies?

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

Someone at the publisher is going to get fired over this. I am surprised Books 5 and 6 were as well-kept secrets as they were.
see, i think that even this supposed leak is probably a hoax.

KentB

Post by KentB »

yeah, i bet so as well

i haven't see the supposed pirated book and i probably won't but my prediction is that harry sacrifices himself as the 7th horcrux in order to destroy voldemort..... or something along those lines ... peter pettigrew will be important as well as he pretty much has to save harry at some point in the book because of his life debt.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

i don't think harry's a horcrux. i have a whole theory why not, but i'll wager most of you don't want to hear it.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I have a theory as well and I know none of you want to hear it since I'm right.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

i'm feeling very anti-michiko kakutani today.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

So far I've seen two spoilers that conflict with each other in hilarious fashion.

I have a theory as well, but of course it'll probably turn out to be way off.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

For those that don't give a flying broomstick about Harry Potter, it's up on Wikipedia, since the rest of the world went Midnight GMT instead of midnight in each time zone. (Should have gone GMT, people.)

KentB

Post by KentB »

yeah, that´s obvious .... i think i will read it or try to if i get time ... however, seeing as I have had ¨everything is illuminated¨ checked out forever and haven´t gotten anywhere on it........ yeah ... we´ll see if it happens

Writing questions has been devouring my soul.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

johnathon safran foer is interesting, to say the least... i found Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close rather good.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

OH MY GOD.

so, i was wrong.... but it was still totally, totally satisfying.

is anyone else done? i NEED to disscuss it, gah.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Finished... very solid book, I'll have to let it sink in for a little while before I elaborate any more on it.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

redliberte wrote: OH MY GOD.

so, i was wrong.... but it was still totally, totally satisfying.

is anyone else done? i NEED to disscuss it, gah.
Done. I was surprised Snape's love for Lily lasted as it did. However, the epilogue was slightly disappointing as no mention is made of Luna's fate. (Or did I miss it?)

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

no, you're right, there wasn't anything about luna... nothing about neville either, i suppose they could have put metion of a few more characters in the epilogue.

the snape-lily thing had occured to me as a possibility before... it's also been pretty well gone through in fanfiction. i'm just glad he got to redeem himself.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

redliberte wrote: no, you're right, there wasn't anything about luna... nothing about neville either, i suppose they could have put metion of a few more characters in the epilogue.

the snape-lily thing had occured to me as a possibility before... it's also been pretty well gone through in fanfiction. i'm just glad he got to redeem himself.
Neville was Professor Longbottom (presumably of Botany).

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

STPickrell wrote:
redliberte wrote: no, you're right, there wasn't anything about luna... nothing about neville either, i suppose they could have put metion of a few more characters in the epilogue.

the snape-lily thing had occured to me as a possibility before... it's also been pretty well gone through in fanfiction.  i'm just glad he got to redeem himself.
Neville was Professor Longbottom (presumably of Botany).
ooh, thanks, i'd forgotten that... looks like i'm already in need of a re-read, eh?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The epilogue was definitely my biggest complaint about the book. It was far too short. As for Luna, I had always assumed she would end up with Neville, but I guess we'll never know...

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

eh, as far as i'm concerned the epilogue is just a bone for the fanfic people.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I was just disappointed that there were so many questions left unanswered - I was left thinking "that's it?" Although there's something to be said for leaving things to the imagination, I guess.

Are we the only people that have read it so far? Come on, people.

KentB

Post by KentB »

at least it wasn't like the last episode of the sopranos ...

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

or like the last episode of dallas.

harry wakes up in the cupboard-under-the-stairs at the age of 11 to find that it wasn't real, he's not a wizard, there is no lord voldemort, and he's still got to cook dear duddy's eggs and bacon. great, huh?

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

so...oh my gah.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

Yeah, the epilogue: I'd take "and they all lived happily ever after" over "and so-and-so got married and had three kids" any day. The whole thing was really jarring and not at all literarily (?) necessary--just JKR being all "HP's mine, you can't write anything about him!" (which is fair, but surely she could've done that OUTSIDE of the STORYLINE somehow...)

That said, my jaw is officially dropped to Rowling right now. HOW, how, how, how...I mean, for goodness' sake, when Aberforth was first mentioned in DH I shrieked and ran to my copy of OOTP to find the original description of the Hog's Head bartender, and sure enough, he seemed "somehow familiar" to harry. HOW CAN SHE KEEP TRACK OF THESE DETAILS???

And I'm pretty mad that she killed off both of poor little Teddy's parents. (And then it appeared Harry didn't even, like, take him in or anything. some godfather.) Why would she do that??

And I'll just say, I've loved George Weasley all along, and people've always been like, "wtf, why george"...but now I "hear" I had the right idea! And I looooove Molly Weasley's moment of glory (although learning that she was magically protected does diminish it a little).