Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Vegetarianism

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

I'm just curious... I read somewhere (I don't remember the source) that said gifted people were more likely to go vegetarian than other "groups" (that's not terribly good wording... I can't remember how the article was presented, either).

Has anyone here experimented with going veg? Has anyone even been a little curious? I've been vegetarian for the last two years, and I want to know if I am not alone in the realm of Academic Competition.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Vegetarianism

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

No, have never been, will never be. Sorry

redliberte

Vegetarianism

Post by redliberte »

i know its really healthy to go veg if you do it right, but i just like meat too much. i don't think i could do it.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

No, have never been, will never be. Sorry
i don't think i could do it.
And that's perfectly OK. Not everyone would enjoy abstaining from meat. I've never really liked any type of red meat, so it was not that much of a jump for me.

On another note (just in case anyone asks), I didn't create this topic to say "You have no willpower if you can't go vegetarian" or "All of you are going to be fat and unhealthy if you don't go vegetarian", but just to get input.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Vegetarianism

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

hugatree1715 wrote: I didn't create this topic to say "You have no willpower if you can't go vegetarian" or "All of you are going to be fat and unhealthy if you don't go vegetarian", but just to get input.
Thanks

Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet; glad you're not one of them

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet
I wholeheartedly agree. I can't stand anyone who strongly presses their own beliefs on other people (about anything from politics to religion to sports, etc.).

scphilli

Vegetarianism

Post by scphilli »

If it didn't moo or oink, I ain't touching it.

redliberte

Vegetarianism

Post by redliberte »

Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet
I wholeheartedly agree. I can't stand anyone who strongly presses their own beliefs on other people (about anything from politics to religion to sports, etc.).
ditto. it is an interesting thing to talk about though, vegetarianism. michael, do you go all the way on the vegetarian spectrum to being a vegan? i guess i'm curious too.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

do you go all the way on the vegetarian spectrum to being a vegan?
Sorry, I just couldn't give up the dairy section. I love cheeses and yogurt; I try to avoid eggs, but so many things have eggs cooked into them that I don't get worried if something has egg ingredients. The technical term for this is "Ovo-lacto vegetarianism".
it is an interesting thing to talk about though, vegetarianism.
I thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss; I hatched the idea of a Vegetarianism topic while mowing the lawn today.

Charlie Dees

Vegetarianism

Post by Charlie Dees »

scphilli wrote: If it didn't moo or oink, I ain't touching it.
Mine need to go baah.

I'm not at all vegetarian. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE steak more than Chris Ray (that one's for Bill). BTW he's making a bid for MSHSAA state next year, last I spoke to him.

As for increasing intelligence or whatever, I don't know if that's true but I do know you can make a survey say almost anything.

KentB

Vegetarianism

Post by KentB »

sometimes i am veg-curious ..... aren't we all though, sometimes ?

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

As for increasing intelligence or whatever
Don't misrepresent the data... It would make no sense to say that going vegetarian makes one more intelligent; it said that people who are more educated/intelligent were more likely to go vegetarian.

I'll look for the article.

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

I'm only vegetarian when the dorm cafeteria has nothing in the meat area other than day-old hamburgers and stuff that looks like the vomit of a very old, possibly diabetic, alley cat.

scphilli

Vegetarianism

Post by scphilli »

One of the most annoying debate partners I had in college was a strict vegetarian. So we had to go from restaurant to restaurant to make sure there was something she could eat, which when you're doing a tournament in Denver which is steakhouse heaven or Kansas, it gets kinda impossible unless you give up and go to Panera.

She also never caught on to the flaw in her logic that it was wrong to eat animals, but OK to wear leather belts and shoes. And I think this is my real problem with vegetarianism. Very few practicioners doing it for non-religious, because eating animals is WRONG!!! reasons are internally consistent with it.

dorime

Vegetarianism

Post by dorime »

I tried vegetarianism a few times. I kept on reverting back to meat. Last time I tried though I've stayed away from red meat though I still eat chicken and fish. Not vegetarian pollo-pescetarian to be more like it. Stuck with it for four-and-a-half years though.

carpenoctem63141

Vegetarianism

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

scphilli wrote: One of the most annoying debate partners I had in college was a strict vegetarian.  So we had to go from restaurant to restaurant to make sure there was something she could eat, which when you're doing a tournament in Denver which is steakhouse heaven or Kansas, it gets kinda impossible unless you give up and go to Panera.

She also never caught on to the flaw in her logic that it was wrong to eat animals, but OK to wear leather belts and shoes.  And I think this is my real problem with vegetarianism.  Very few practicioners doing it for non-religious, because eating animals is WRONG!!! reasons are internally consistent with it.
Mm, but performative contradictions are great!

Ravi Fernando

Vegetarianism

Post by Ravi Fernando »

I've been vegetarian for a year and a quarter or so. My brother kind of talked my whole family into it (except my dad, who was already vegetarian) when he went vegan after attending MSA.

-Ravi

Historyman

Vegetarianism

Post by Historyman »

PETA, People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. I am a life long member.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

I've been vegetarian for a year and a quarter or so. My brother kind of talked my whole family into it (except my dad, who was already vegetarian) when he went vegan after attending MSA.
I'm going to MSA this year, but I don't think I will end up transitioning to veganism (but I won't close my options off).

manary

Vegetarianism

Post by manary »

I've been a vegetarian since freshman year (4 years ago) and love it. I also don't eat cheese or drink milk, but I do eat eggs and ice cream. I used to love meat, especially salami, but after the first week you get really used to it.

Note: everyone should go veg at MSA. It's almost obligatory. I went vegan the three weeks, it was fun.

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

Why is MSA special? Do they stick you in a room and make you feel sick while they play pictures of people eating sausages, a la Clockwork Orange?

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by this profound MSA-vegetarian/vegan connection, I'm not gonna lie.

scphilli

Vegetarianism

Post by scphilli »

It's actually the video of how KFC kills its chickens.

STPickrell

Vegetarianism

Post by STPickrell »

ecks wrote: Why is MSA special? Do they stick you in a room and make you feel sick while they play pictures of people eating sausages, a la Clockwork Orange?
Anything's better to the tune of Beethoven's Ninth.

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

scphilli wrote: It's actually the video of how KFC kills its chickens.
aah. Yeah, that wasn't part of my MSA experience.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

I'm not sure what connection there is between MSA and vegetarianism, but on the letter I recently received, I was told that there would be vegetarian food available, so the staff must expect some people to try it, or expect that some are already vegetarian.

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

Well, yeah, out of 330 young people, there are going to be a few vegetarians. I could name people with whom I went to MSA who were vegetarian/vegan...that was not because they went to MSA.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

I could name people with whom I went to MSA who were vegetarian/vegan...that was not because they went to MSA.
That would be a little silly to go vegetarian "Just because everyone else at MSA is doing it!"

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

lol, I agree. I just seemed to get the impression that people were saying that on the previous page.

Anyhow...one of my roommates is a vegetarian, and another just doesn't like red meat. I don't eat much meat (I'm poor) (and a lazy cook), but I'm not going to refuse to eat it or anything. idk. I think what I expressed to Lisl is that I'm a "sympathetic omnivore."

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

I'm a "sympathetic omnivore."
I've pretty much been that my whole life; I've never really liked red meat, but giving up chicken was pretty tough in the beginning.

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

Does anyone else find it ironic the subtitle of this thread is 'It's not just for hippies!' and the thread starter's name is "hugatree"?

Charlie Dees

Vegetarianism

Post by Charlie Dees »

You're a hobo.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

Does anyone else find it ironic the subtitle of this thread is 'It's not just for hippies!' and the thread starter's name is "hugatree"?
I wouldn't classify myself as a hippie, but I am definitely conservation-minded. There's quite a disparity between the two. As for the subtitle, I was attempting to stress that anyone can become vegetarian, not just hippies (they have gained some notoriety for being granola-munching, in addition to many things), and I was trying to inject a little bit of humor into the topic. Maybe the latter didn't work so well.
You're a hobo.
Is that referring to me?

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

hugatree1715 wrote: I was trying to inject a little bit of humor into the topic. Maybe the latter didn't work so well.
Irony is a type of humor

:)
You're a hobo.
http://photos-481.ak.facebook.com/ip002 ... 1_6138.jpg

Yes, yes I am.

Charlie Dees

Vegetarianism

Post by Charlie Dees »

I thought that whole thing was pretty funny, although at first I thought you all were actually, you know...

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

ashkenaziCD wrote: I thought that whole thing was pretty funny, although at first I thought you all were actually, you know...
Haha. No, we were both clothed for the shoot.
umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)
Nothing's wrong with being a hippie, I just thought it was funny.

flycaitiee69

Vegetarianism

Post by flycaitiee69 »

LibertyMarie wrote: umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)
Hippies are great.... As is being conservation-minded. You ROCK!

Hugatree - you're male? I am so confused. These boards are becoming too intense for me in my old age....

Charlie Dees

Vegetarianism

Post by Charlie Dees »

His name is Micheal McClellan, and he's a Truman player.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

Hugatree - you're male?
Yes... I'm confused, do I appear androgynous? :wacko:

flycaitiee69

Vegetarianism

Post by flycaitiee69 »

hugatree1715 wrote:
Hugatree - you're male?
Yes... I'm confused, do I appear androgynous?
No, lol. I just assumed you were a girl, although thinking back I'm not sure why. Very sincere apologies. You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....

Jeffrey Hill

Vegetarianism

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

flycaitiee69 wrote: No, lol. I just assumed you were a girl, although thinking back I'm not sure why. Very sincere apologies. You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....
For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.

LibertyMarie

Vegetarianism

Post by LibertyMarie »

Um, to make Caitlin feel better but not Michael: yeah, I assumed that, too, at first. maybe it's the screen name?

ecks

Vegetarianism

Post by ecks »

ScoBo1987 wrote: For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.
Dude, it hasn't been NMSU since July 1 1996. Get with the times, foo! We actually like our name now. (Which may or may not happen 10 years from now with MUST). For clarification purposes, you should just say Truman St or Truman HS.
flycaitiee69 wrote:You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....
Yes, you should have.

:) I can e-mail you the practice times for the Fall semester if you'd like

:P

And for what's it worth, Michael, I assumed you were a guy.

hugatree1715

Vegetarianism

Post by hugatree1715 »

Um, to make Caitlin feel better but not Michael: yeah, I assumed that, too, at first. maybe it's the screen name?
Honestly, it's not a problem; I don't think there's been much use of gender-specific pronouns around me, or any other clues that may give my gender away. If you don't believe that I am of the male persuasion, you could always check me out: My Facebook (though in some of my pictures from a few months ago, I have some long hair, not too long, but...)

AethyricNomad

Vegetarianism

Post by AethyricNomad »

It's a conspiracy! The vegetable and fruit farmers have a hold on the government! They finance the vegetarian industry!

Seriously though, I think the dairy and corn lobbies are significantly stronger.

And even more seriously, I don't think I could go vegetarian, but we do have a vegetarian on our team now. I think she's possibly the first vegetarian I've ever met, which says a lot about how sheltered, isolated, and backward I am up here in the northwest corner two miles from the border with Iowa (not sure about the distance, but yeah...)

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Vegetarianism

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ecks wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote: For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.
Dude, it hasn't been NMSU since July 1 1996. Get with the times, foo! We actually like our name now. (Which may or may not happen 10 years from now with MUST).
Tell that to Mom! (NMSU Class of '84) She keeps insisting on using the NMSU name!

STPickrell

Vegetarianism

Post by STPickrell »

I just had some Popeye's chicken for lunch. That was some good stuff.

Ravi Fernando

Vegetarianism

Post by Ravi Fernando »

Aerodotus wrote: It's a conspiracy! The vegetable and fruit farmers have a hold on the government! They finance the vegetarian industry!

Seriously though, I think the dairy and corn lobbies are significantly stronger.

And even more seriously, I don't think I could go vegetarian, but we do have a vegetarian on our team now. I think she's possibly the first vegetarian I've ever met, which says a lot about how sheltered, isolated, and backward I am up here in the northwest corner two miles from the border with Iowa (not sure about the distance, but yeah...)
Actually, the FDA is paid generously by the beef/milk/etc. industries, I believe, and this probably contributed to the government's claims that meat is "essential" to a healthy diet. Actually, I've heard of a man whose cholesterol went from 130 to 250+ after he went on the Atkins diet, and returned to 130 shortly after he stopped.

Northwest corner, two miles from Iowa? Where's that? Kirksville is probably more isolated than you... I don't think there are any cities of 100,000 or more within 150 miles, though Columbia (90 miles) is close to 100k.

-Ravi

East Buc & UMR

Vegetarianism

Post by East Buc & UMR »

No kirksville isn't isolated. Anyone who thinks that is just plain dumb.

Tarkio on the other hand Isolated.