Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

things that suck...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
East Buc & UMR

things that suck...

Post by East Buc & UMR »

14 hour work days

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

vacuum cleaners

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

your mom

KentB

things that suck...

Post by KentB »

DANG IT MARIE

you beat me to it

how about

your face

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

your mom's face?

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Anyone who doesn't have a cat avatar.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

bully

:P

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Anyone who doesn't have a cat avatar.
QFT

NOSTEAKFORSTEPH

things that suck...

Post by NOSTEAKFORSTEPH »

WHAT NOW!

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

Anyone who doesn't bathe in medium well steaks.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

i still see hello kitty. i don't know what you're talking about charlie.

AethyricNomad

things that suck...

Post by AethyricNomad »

Black holes, provided you are inside their event horizon.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Anyone who doesn't have a cat avatar.
you know what wouldn't suck, but would actually be pretty cool, is a Schrodinger's Cat icon. i came up with this when i was bored this morning. i have this whole mental conception of it blinking and one part saying "Schrodinger's cat is alive" and the other saying "Schrodinger's cat is dead" but i don't have quite the skills to make it. yes, it seems quite obvivious that i'm at a science competition right now...

flycaitiee69

things that suck...

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Math 240

AethyricNomad

things that suck...

Post by AethyricNomad »

redliberte wrote: you know what wouldn't suck, but would actually be pretty cool, is a Schrodinger's Cat icon.
A Schoedinger's cat avatar would be pretty cool.

Something else that sucks would be when you don't like spam and go to a restaurant where all they serve is eggs and sausage, eggs and bacon, eggs sausage and bacon, eggs and spam, eggs sausage and spam, eggs sausage bacon and spam, and spam spam spam spam spam baked beans and spam.

Heh heh...

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

i don't like spam.

but i like monty python. i also like the part where the random guy is killing a cat in the background of the bring out your dead scene in Holy Grail. Heh.

AShoaib

things that suck...

Post by AShoaib »

Flying Circus totally pwns Holy Grail. I'm sorry. Oh, and so does Life of Brian.

AethyricNomad

things that suck...

Post by AethyricNomad »

Trying to write a German/Central European/Eastern European accent so you can read it and understand it.

"Zo, vee haff estableeshed zat Monty Python does not suck. Excellent."

I'd say that wouldn't a wormhole suck too, but only on one end (the black hole end), and I've already said black hole so never mind...

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

i do <3 flying circus, but alas, i have never seen life of brian, which sucks for me.

flycaitiee69

things that suck...

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Saying good bye. : (

KentB

things that suck...

Post by KentB »

my art history final

seriously .. worst thing I´ve ever written

I´ll take a B in that class though .. whatever

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

things that suck...

Post by wldcat_blldog »

Graduating in less than 24 hours with no job waiting for me on Monday.

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

Realizing that my last final was less than 24 hours ago and I'm already out of things to do for the summer.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Not going to the Chicago Open.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

:(

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Not going to the Chicago Open.
Pour quoi? I've thought about driving up to Chitown to just see the people that will be there. And visit people I know and eat Chicago-style pizza, but mostly to see awesome games.

AethyricNomad

things that suck...

Post by AethyricNomad »

Not depriving Richland of their 11th win of State Quiz Bowl.

Seriously though... I think the fact that I actually have to go to bed and do stuff for the remaining 22 hours of this weekend is what sucks. I don't feel like going anywhere, doing anything, or even leaving the house...

S.C.Mitchell07

things that suck...

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Aerodotus wrote: Not depriving Richland of their 11th win of State Quiz Bowl.

Seriously though... I think the fact that I actually have to go to bed and do stuff for the remaining 22 hours of this weekend is what sucks. I don't feel like going anywhere, doing anything, or even leaving the house...
Losing to Richland is not at all a bad thing.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Gas being $3.09+ in Rolla when it's $2.95 in St. James less than 10 miles away (and of course even less almost everywhere else in MO that isn't St. Louis)

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Gas being $3.09+ in Rolla
now that's nasty.

and kevin, believe me, i know all too well what you're feeling right now. i know it sounds like cruddy advice, but this too will pass.

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

tonight's grey's anatomy.
(and more so that i'm guessing i won't be able to watch it next semester...anyone happen to know if grey's airs in england?)

and how my plants are dying and i don't think there's anything i can do to help them.
(and more so that i'm so VERY upset about this.)

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

grey's anatomy sucks so much.

STPickrell

things that suck...

Post by STPickrell »

Rebecca used to like Grey's Anatomy but Melanie cried during every episode we tried to watch early on. It was very interesting -- we'd turn the channel from Grey's to the NCAA tournament, and she'd stop crying. Put it back on Grey's and the fussing resumed. So now we have started to watch House which she apparently enjoys.

So Grey's Anatomy and German schlager music annoy her. I hope she likes Dschinghis Khan (do a Youtube search on Moskau and you will see why I like it.)

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

STPickrell wrote: I hope she likes Dschinghis Khan (do a Youtube search on Moskau and you will see why I like it.)
That was amazing. I want more.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Unfortunately, I was sick until Thursday afternoon; I had at least 35 pages of make-up work when I returned to school on Friday; I couldn't come to either quiz bowl practice that week; my teammates, my parents, and I began to suspect that I couldn't go to state (three of my teammates made a card for me in Spanish IV, and, incidentally, I have the card by my computer right now); and I'm still not done with the make-up work.
make-up work. it's a close and personal friend of mine as well.

oh, and double posting :).

libertymark

things that suck...

Post by libertymark »

running out of paid time for WoW and not having enough money to go pay for more

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Playing the gas lottery and losing... the extended rare luxury of sub-$3 gas in St. Louis finally ended today (but $3.19 is still cheaper than most of KC...). At 4:25 PM someone posted that two stations a couple of miles east of my normal route from work were still at their sub-$3 price so I decided to detour and see if it was still less than $3... unsurprisingly, it wasn't. Just an excuse to take a different route back to the apartment.

Even if it were still cheap and I had filled up I only would have been able to get 5 or 6 gallons so I would have used up much of my savings on burning gas to go the extra distance.

And yes, for those of you who weren't aware of it, I'm working in St. Louis until December.

Something related that doesn't suck: GasBuddy.com... in particular, the price temperature map is really cool.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

that jeff is paying $3.19/gallon while we're paying >$3.30 in KC.

Historyman

things that suck...

Post by Historyman »

Woot $2.99 in Fordland.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Historyman wrote: Woot $2.99 in Fordland.
Nice... QT went down from $3.15 to $3.12 today. The Phillips just south of here went down to $3.09.

I update the five stations along my route on StLouisGasPrices.com daily (the above mentioned being two of them) and I'm still not established enough that it's still automatically deleting some of my entries... hopefully that will end soon.

East Buc & UMR

things that suck...

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is 10:30pm been at work since 8am and no going home in sight.

Stupid Data Armor

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

East Buc & UMR wrote: It is 10:30pm been at work since 8am and no going home in sight.

Stupid Data Armor
Heh, there are almost no overworked stories that can beat my mom. Last week, she worked every day from 7am-8pm, and last Tuesday had to go back in from 9pm-3am, then had to work Saturday 6am-6pm. And that was a relatively slow week :/

STPickrell

things that suck...

Post by STPickrell »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
Nice... QT went down from $3.15 to $3.12 today. The Phillips just south of here went down to $3.09.

I update the five stations along my route on StLouisGasPrices.com daily (the above mentioned being two of them) and I'm still not established enough that it's still automatically deleting some of my entries... hopefully that will end soon.
Say goodbye to outer suburbia.

Of course there could be another Asian crisis and that ought to drive gas prices down somewhat. (any of you 22-25 year olds remember the 1998-99 Asian crisis that drove gas prices down to like 95c a gallon?)

STPickrell

things that suck...

Post by STPickrell »

East Buc & UMR wrote: It is 10:30pm been at work since 8am and no going home in sight.

Stupid Data Armor
we had a migration from server A to server B that was supposed to go from 7am to 1pm yesterday; I was still working on it yesterday at 10:30pm.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

STPickrell wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:

Of course there could be another Asian crisis and that ought to drive gas prices down somewhat. (any of you 22-25 year olds remember the 1998-99 Asian crisis that drove gas prices down to like 95c a gallon?)
I remember gas being as low as 79¢ in St. Louis coming home from our vacation in 1998 (or possibly 1999; not 100% sure)

ecks

things that suck...

Post by ecks »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
STPickrell wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:

I remember gas being as low as 79¢ in St. Louis coming home from our vacation in 1998 (or possibly 1999; not 100% sure)
I have a picture from a few years back when I took a picture of a gas station in Washington because the gas prices were so ridiculously more than they were in central Illinois. The price? $2.54.

Also, I just spent $40 filling up a tank that I used to be able to fill up with something in the low teens. This makes me cry.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I remember one instance in 2003 when I thought it was ridiculous that prices jumped to $1.69

That was a short price spike... QuikTrip's already down to $2.99 again... it was $3.12 when I went to work this morning

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Nobody having the right sized envelope to mail a calculus book... Target doesn't even carry size 5 for some reason and the post office was out of an appropriate size too, so I ended up mailing it in a huge overpriced envelope from the post office. I remember this happening before and only Walmart had size 5 envelopes.

(Target and Kmart are just up the road; Wal-Mart is about 5 miles away)

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The USPS... or at least whoever delivered my USPS mail yesterday...

No package... wasn't in front of my door when I got back from work yesterday, and the leasing office didn't have it. So I called the post office... they said the carrier has it today for delivery. That means it's... NOT delivered. What about "delivery exception" or "recipient not available" or something like that...? They didn't even leave a failed delivery attempt notice or anything.

Of course that's what I risk when I have something shipped to an apartment, though the office did say that UPS, FedEx and DHL deliver to the office by default so it's just the stupid post office I have to avoid.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Jeff, you're in STL right now? Gi yo homzkillet a holla.