Team Missouri A finishes sixth in all-star tournament!
Congratulations to Team Missouri A for earning sixth place out of twenty-nine teams in the 2018 National All-Star Academic Tournament! Team Missouri B finished in nineteenth place.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:16 am

MSHSAA vote on National Competitions 

Post MSHSAA vote on National Competitions
The MSHSAA advisory board recommended that summertime national competitions be allowed for Missouri teams at the last meeting,

“Academic Competition Advisory Committee

Held May 31, 2006

1. Recommend that the Board confirm the approval of the participation of school academic competition teams in competitions during the summer vacation period when school is not in session, and that such allowance be added as an “Editor’s Note” under By-Law 640.

Amend: Recommend that the Board place the topic of summertime interscholastic academic competition on the agenda for the 2006-07 area meetings, and on the 2007 Annual Questionnaire. (Approved as amended)”

Since this allowance requires changing a By-Law, it has to receive approval from the MSHSAA members, i.e. a vote.

Currently the Academic Competition season is defined in By-Law 640 as follows: “No senior high school or junior high school interscholastic academic competition events shall be held before the second Friday in October nor later than the MSHSAA District Competition, exclusive of the MSHSAA state competition.” Soon after the addition of the activity, the Board of Directors took action (September 1995) to allow member schools who had participated specifically in the state level Beta Club Quiz Bowl Competition to qualify and advance to the national level Beta Club Quiz Bowl event which was, at that time, held in the summer. Some other national events are now available to schools in the summer (e.g. Panasonic National event, NAQT National event) and the membership is being asked if there is a desire for a change in the definition of the season to allow for any of the following: 1) national interscholastic competition during the summer, 2) summer interscholastic competition in general, 3) summertime competition where a school has advanced from a qualifying event that takes place during the academic year.”

While the current By-Law does not affect "all-star" teams like the MO Panasonic team, the By-Law does currently prohibit "interscholastic" competitions after the State competition. There are different reasons that participation in summer tournaments has been allowed for years (differing interpretations from MSHSAA personnel, special permission, etc.), but changing the By-Law would give definitive permission for the future.

Please get the word out to coaches. Vote FOR summer national competition.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:00 pm

tjeffschool wrote:
The MSHSAA advisory board recommended that summertime national competitions be allowed for Missouri teams at the last meeting,

“Academic Competition Advisory Committee

Held May 31, 2006

1. Recommend that the Board confirm the approval of the participation of school academic competition teams in competitions during the summer vacation period when school is not in session, and that such allowance be added as an “Editor’s Note” under By-Law 640.

Amend: Recommend that the Board place the topic of summertime interscholastic academic competition on the agenda for the 2006-07 area meetings, and on the 2007 Annual Questionnaire. (Approved as amended)”

Since this allowance requires changing a By-Law, it has to receive approval from the MSHSAA members, i.e. a vote.

Currently the Academic Competition season is defined in By-Law 640 as follows: “No senior high school or junior high school interscholastic academic competition events shall be held before the second Friday in October nor later than the MSHSAA District Competition, exclusive of the MSHSAA state competition.” Soon after the addition of the activity, the Board of Directors took action (September 1995) to allow member schools who had participated specifically in the state level Beta Club Quiz Bowl Competition to qualify and advance to the national level Beta Club Quiz Bowl event which was, at that time, held in the summer. Some other national events are now available to schools in the summer (e.g. Panasonic National event, NAQT National event) and the membership is being asked if there is a desire for a change in the definition of the season to allow for any of the following: 1) national interscholastic competition during the summer, 2) summer interscholastic competition in general, 3) summertime competition where a school has advanced from a qualifying event that takes place during the academic year.”

While the current By-Law does not affect "all-star" teams like the MO Panasonic team, the By-Law does currently prohibit "interscholastic" competitions after the State competition. There are different reasons that participation in summer tournaments has been allowed for years (differing interpretations from MSHSAA personnel, special permission, etc.), but changing the By-Law would give definitive permission for the future.

Please get the word out to coaches. Vote FOR summer national competition.

Wait, I'm hearing different things from different people. Would someone please tell me exactly what is it that is going on here?

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:47 pm

Hmm..... Not real sure but I will be part of the Fordland Beta team in Branson. Thats cool that if you win that you can go to nationals.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:13 pm

scphilli wrote:
Wait, I'm hearing different things from different people. Would someone please tell me exactly what is it that is going on here?

I only speak VHSL, so I'm no help here.

Wait, aren't you the 3L here? If you can't read it, we're doomed.

Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:21 pm
Profile YIM

The routing copy of the 2007 MSHSAA annual questionnaire arrived today. The specific question, which is contained in the first post, is

"Which of the following statements (CHOOSE ONE) best represents your position on the Academic Competition season (By-Law 640)?

a) The academic competition season should end with the state tournament and participation beyond this date should not be interscholastic (participants could not represent their school).

b) Interscholastic academic competition should be allowed to continue into and throughout the summer.

c) A school academic competition team should be allowed to participate in a summertime national interscholastic competition only if the school has advanced from a qualifying event that takes place during the academic year."

The allowance for Missouri teams to participate in national tournaments is hanging in the balance. Please encourage every coach you know to vote FOR either option b) or c) depending on their desire.

Voting for option a) will effecively kill any future chance for Missouri teams to enter a national tournament. Although a) is basically the current By-Law, if member schools vote to keep it, I am sure it will be enforced. To date allowances have been made for national tournaments that occur after school has ended for the summer. However, I don't expect this to continue if option a) is adopted.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:53 pm

STPickrell wrote:
scphilli wrote:
Wait, I'm hearing different things from different people.  Would someone please tell me exactly what is it that is going on here?

I only speak VHSL, so I'm no help here.

Wait, aren't you the 3L here? If you can't read it, we're doomed.

I understand what this means. However, I have heard two distinctly different accounts of the stakes of this issue. First and foremost, this is not a decision which will be binding on the coach's approval, it is to be made by administrators. So encouraging coaches to vote for or against will really have no bearing. Further, option a) does not seem to preclude tournaments like Panasonic where teams do not represent select schools. Option a) is also unclearly worded. "Should" is a term that expresses but does not impose the obligation for a team not to compete, whereas "could not" does forbid.

I have also heard (from reliable sources) that MSHSAA is trying to forbid ALL out of state tournaments by any Missouri team. I am also looking into the possibility that MSHSAA is violating anti-trust laws, and I would like someone who has knowledge of the situation (i.e. more than gossip) to explain it so that way when I research the issue, I know exactly what I'm looking at.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:27 pm

My only goal in posting this topic was to inform others who are interested in Missouri academic competition about a potential impact on the sport. The more people who speak to coaches, administrators, athletic directors, etc., the better the chance that the outcome will be favorable to Missouri academic competition.

I am the President of the Missouri Academic Coaches Association and a non-voting member of the MSHSAA Academic Advisory Committee. My information comes directly from meetings with the Advisory Committee or from Stacy Schroeder of MSHSAA.

My administration will vote on this item according to what I ask them to vote, as is the case for every one of the academic coaches who have contacted me about this issue.

At the 2006 advisory committee meeting, the committee made six recommendations to the MSHSAA board. The board very uncharacteristically approved all of them with one exception.

The advisory committee wanted to give formal approval to summertime competition when school was out (basically what has been taking place anyway) using an "Editor's Note" under the current By-Law. However, the MSHSAA board decided that the only way to give approval was to change the By-Law. So the advisory board recommendation was amended.

If a simple majority of participating member schools cast a vote (one vote per school) indicating a desire to change the current By-Law, there will be a future ballot. At that time the membership will vote for a particular change over another, i.e. allow all summertime competition, just national tournaments, etc.

At least for the past 18 months or so, there has been zero discussion or mention of banning out of state competition from any advisory board member or from our MSHSAA liaison.

I have yet to get any indication that MSHSAA is out to harm academic competition, force us to do anything against our will, or make rules that are not recommended through the Advisory Committee. On the contrary, I have been impressed by their willingness to make recommended changes to improve Missouri academic competition.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:40 pm

So when do they release the survey results? Because they should be all in by now.

Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:41 pm