Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Vista

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
East Buc & UMR

Vista

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Anyone brave the "crowds" out today and pick up a copy.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Vista

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

No but if I have money when it comes out I'll probably upgrade to Leopard... I probably should up my RAM to 2 GB first... From what I've seen Vista is a large improvement over XP but that ultimately depends on incompatibility issues and how much more of a memory hog it is.

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

no im waiting on my dad to get a free copy

KentB

Vista

Post by KentB »

i don´t plan on buying it ... but if i ever run across a copy, we´ll see if i deem it worthy to install

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

well ive been running the beta for a few months now and i love it. it doesn't crash like xp does. just im not sure if i can use the upgrade version since i don't have a valid xp key running...stupid microsoft

East Buc & UMR

Vista

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I don't know what you are running with XP but I've never had it crash before...

Desktop, 2 laptops and who knows how many School and work Pc's I've used(most of those using hardcore apps)

Blue screened once only because my desktop CD/RW drivers when I upgraded from ME to XP weren't meant for XP. Simple fix.... But really what are you doing on XP to crash it?

jcarkeys

Vista

Post by jcarkeys »

libertymark wrote: well ive been running the beta for a few months now and i love it. it doesn't crash like xp does. just im not sure if i can use the upgrade version since i don't have a valid xp key running...stupid microsoft
I've played with RC2 in a Virtual Machine a bit (so no aero) and it's interesting. Nothing that'd make me want to upgrade anytime soon. The upgraded security is of minimal value since I have a small Kubuntu box here running a NAT server and seriously have stuff locked down.

XP never crashes on me. I hung it up while trying to install an OS (I think it was Win 2000) in a virtual machine for testing, but other than that I've had it up this whole semester. That's really not that unusual.

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I don't know what you are running with XP but I've never had it crash before...

Desktop, 2 laptops and who knows how many School and work Pc's I've used(most of those using hardcore apps)

Blue screened once only because my desktop CD/RW drivers when I upgraded from ME to XP weren't meant for XP. Simple fix.... But really what are you doing on XP to crash it?
um i think it was the windows updates that got passed me and installed. mostly it was windows explorer.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Vista

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I can't tell you how many times control-alt-delete, end non-responding program didn't work or took forever to do. Yes, my laptop is on the very slow end related to XP so that probably had a little bit to do with it.

In the 20 months I have had my iMac there have been maybe 5-10 total times I've gone to force quit a program and it takes longer than one or two seconds. I'd also say about 90%+ of any freezes or unexpected quits are Safari-related. Recently I have had a few more spinning beach ball of death hangs on my Mac but that's mainly when I have a whole bunch of programs open* but they aren't nearly as annoying as they were on Windows. And generally when one program hangs it doesn't affect any of the other programs; they might run just slightly slower while the other program figures out what it's doing but at least my whole computer isn't unusable for that time.

*Safari is a perpetual memory hog.... Right now it has 300 MB of my 1 GB...

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

well ubuntu uses 44% of my cpu at all times

chad

Vista

Post by chad »

My cousin bought a new Compaq with vista, it is pretty cool but the looks and the way it runs is much like XP. Not really much difference but I will eventually get one. I want the Bill Gates special edition but it is like 600 dollars or something ridiculous.

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

chad wrote: I want the Bill Gates special edition but it is like 600 dollars or something ridiculous.
not really its more like 250 but its the upgrade only addition. the full version is 300 and the nonsignature is still 250.

chad

Vista

Post by chad »

libertymark Posted on Feb 5 2007, 08:22 PM [not really its more like 250 but its the upgrade only addition. the full version is 300 and the nonsignature is still 250. ]

Your right, the Best Buy add was very misleading, thanks for the heads up.

libertymark

Vista

Post by libertymark »

do they still have it, i looked earlier and couldn't find it

AShoaib

Vista

Post by AShoaib »

I'll always have a soft for Vista... that was the answer to the first QuizBowl question I ever got in a competition....

The GUI looks nice.

:)