Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

The MSA Thread

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

Note: This thread was split from the "Who is everybody?" thread. - MC

hugatree1715 wrote: I'll probably be going to MSA this summer.
that´s what I thought too until they screwed me over :angry:

chad

The MSA Thread

Post by chad »

What is MSA?

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

missouri scholar's academy

S.C.Mitchell07

The MSA Thread

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

KentB wrote: missouri scholar's academy
Elitist.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

Yikes, I never imagined I'd engender such fury in mentioning MSA.

I sure hope I go; I had the highest PLAN score in the school, and am first in the class.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

not really fury ... I don't care anymore cuz that was a long time ago but it was disappointing at the time because I had the highest ACT and was 2nd in the class (the valedictorian didn't want to go) but since I was the only one of the top 10 that wanted to go, they asked another guy that was like ranked 20th to take the IQ test against me and he scored a few points higher and they sent him instead..... then the next year, they found out my school could send 2 people.

ok well that was just a sob story

:P but just showing the reason for the "fury" and it's only toward my school.. not msa.

LibertyMarie

The MSA Thread

Post by LibertyMarie »

yaaay msa.
err...yeah, that's about all i've got right now. if you'd mentioned this a couple years ago i would've gotten more excited.

mujason

The MSA Thread

Post by mujason »

MSA rules.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

I didn´t mean for a separate thread to get made about it ... but since it´s here, I guess have at it lol

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

hugatree1715 wrote: I sure hope I go; I had the highest PLAN score in the school, and am first in the class.
I ish I could say the same. Actually, PLAN testing was retarded. I answered c on all the science questions and I still got 26.

STPickrell

The MSA Thread

Post by STPickrell »

k, what's PLAN testing? Is that some Missouri thing given to sophomores?

Virginia has the Standards of Learning (SOL) exams, which are OK but there's no reciprocal agreements. I think you have to pass a bunch of them before you can graduate.

My friend was telling me about one girl who came down from NY state her senior year, had passed the Regents' exams in a bunch of subjects but then still had to take SOL tests for freshman subjects before she could graduate.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

The PLAN is the Pre-ACT. Why it isn´t called Pre-ACT confuses me but it is PLAN for some reason.

DeckardCain

The MSA Thread

Post by DeckardCain »

The PLAN predicted I'd get a 21 on the ACT, so it's pretty worthless as an exam as far as I'm concerned.

scphilli

The MSA Thread

Post by scphilli »

We always used the PSAT. PLAN is about as worthwile as the science section of the real ACT (unless they've changed that...it's been awhile).

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

I took the ACT this year and the science section was brutal. I think I scored 16 on it. Overall I got 28. But it all had absolutely nothing to do with actually knowing science as much as it tested how fast you can think logically.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

I´m a bio major and the science was always the hardest for me.

To prove how silly the science section was.... I got 24-25 consistently on it (I took it many times) and then without studying any more, I got a 35 and I definitely guessed on some.

Idk if that proves how silly it is, but it really doesn´t have too much to do with anything.

The PSAT is great cuz there is scholarship incentive to do well on that one too.

East Buc & UMR

The MSA Thread

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The science part isn't Science more graph reading

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

Exactly.

I liked the PSAT much better. I did a lot better on that.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

Our school only allows Juniors to take the PSAT; I'll have to wait until next year.

And does anyone know much about the National Merit Scholar stuff associated with the PSAT? My cousin was a NMS Recipient (not semi-finalist or finalist; he received the award). I just don't know the process.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

The MSA Thread

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Details on National Merit website

1) Take the PSAT/NMSQT
2) If your score is among the highest in the state, you're named a semifinalist in September.
--You have to submit an application with a short essay (I don't remember exactly what the prompt was or if it's the same every year, but it was some kind of autobiographical thing telling them about yourself and what activities you're in).
--I think your transcript or at least some record of your academic standing is sent so you also have to do well in your classes and not just on standardized tests (like a certain 2004 Liberty graduate who scored perfect scores on both tests but wasn't selected as a finalist)
--You also have to take the SAT and get a comparable score on it.
3) In February you're notified if you are a finalist.

The amount you get depends on what kind of scholarship you get. There are 3 types:
--Scholarship from NMSC itself
--College-sponsored scholarship (can only be awarded by your declared first choice)
--Corporation-sponsored

The NMSC scholarship is a one-time $2500 scholarship. Since my dad works for Bayer, I ended up getting $1000/year from Bayer.

Also, I think even after being named a finalist, some still don't get a scholarship that's specifically a "National Merit" scholarship.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

I get $750/year from NMSC. At least, I think it's from NMSC. We couldn't really figure out where the money was coming from when we tried because financial aid didn't really have a clear answer. The other theory is that it is from Truman but they weren't sure when I asked them so I just take the check. Actually, I'm pretty sure it's from Truman because I DID change them to my top choice after I decided against Rhodes.

And yeah, if you do well on the test and have pretty good grades, you shouldn't have too much problem getting up there. Also, club and organizational activity helps or at least having something to put down there and something good to write for the essay. The application isn't too scary and you only fill it out once as opposed to once after each elimination step.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

The MSA Thread

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

It should be from Truman because from my understanding the NMSC scholarships are a one-time payment and not spread out over four years.

One thing I saw on the NMSC website is they select about 16,000 semifinalists, and of those, about 15,000 are named finalists. So unless you have poor grades, your PSAT score was a fluke, or your principal is a jerk and won't recommend you, you'll be named a finalist.

Liberty Scholar Bowl member Danielle Streifthau is Liberty's sole semifinalist this year.

LibertyMarie

The MSA Thread

Post by LibertyMarie »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Liberty Scholar Bowl member Danielle Streifthau is Liberty's sole semifinalist this year.
So, what are you saying, that things have just gone downhill since good ol' aught five?

B)
(how do you know this kind of thing???)
Although, hey, to stay on topic, of Liberty's 07 semifinalists, 100% are MSA alumni, while for 05 that was only 40%...

Jeffrey Hill

The MSA Thread

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote: Liberty Scholar Bowl member Danielle Streifthau is Liberty's sole semifinalist this year.
So, what are you saying, that things have just gone downhill since good ol' aught five?

B)
(how do you know this kind of thing???)
Yeah, that class of aught five... those Liberty (semi)finalists were some crazy people...

I know this because I've been subscribed to QuickNews for a few years now

;)

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

NKC only had one semifinalist this year. Amina Forde.

I think I'll be locked for semi-finalist next year (214 on the PSAT), although there's absolutely no way I'll be a finalist.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

hugatree1715 wrote: I...am first in the class.
You're only a sophomore, that can change big time over the next two years.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

You're only a sophomore, that can change big time over the next two years.
I completely understand; I just thought it was a point worth mentioning. Our school, when graduation comes around, doesn't recognize the valedictorian. We recognize "top 1%", which is generally about 4-5 people. Though everyone in the school knows who is 1st, 2nd, and so on, the school doesn't officially make any distinction.

Jeffrey Hill

The MSA Thread

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

hugatree1715 wrote: We recognize "top 1%", which is generally about 4-5 people. Though everyone in the school knows who is 1st, 2nd, and so on, the school doesn't officially make any distinction.
Do you have a weighted grade system? Generally around 3-6% of Liberty's graduating class graduates with a 4.0 because our grades aren't weighted.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

We had a weighted system with Valedictorian/Salutatorian. The valedictorian had like a 4.51 and I think I had 4.44 or something like that ... it was pretty crazy either way to have like the top 15 over 4.0 or something like that (not sure exactly).

DeckardCain

The MSA Thread

Post by DeckardCain »

We had a weighted system out of an 11-point scale. The valedictorian had 11.283 and I had 11.281.

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

Oh yeah, we had a 12 point scale but switched to 4.00 after my junior year.... before the valedictorian had a 12.6 or something ridiculous

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

At our school our GPA's aren't weighted, but they don't use GPA to determine valedictorian. They add "distinction points" to that. Although AP classes get more than IB, which I don't understand (or like).

scphilli

The MSA Thread

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: NKC only had one semifinalist this year. Amina Forde.

I think I'll be locked for semi-finalist next year (214 on the PSAT), although there's absolutely no way I'll be a finalist.
Bear in mind I took this test about 9 years ago, but I got a 213 and easily cleared Semifinalist (so did another classmate who got a 195) and I ended up getting a scholarship. You'll clear semifinalist and depending on how you do the application, should be in line for finalist. Course, my mom worked for State Farm. I think State Farm has the sweetest of the NMSC scholarships: $7950 per year for four years.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

What I was saying was that I would put money on my being a semifinalist. However, I don't have good enough credentials (grades, etc.) to be a finalist.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

Yes. It's a weighted system, and I'm taking 4 weighted classes this year, expecting 6 next year, but only 5 1/2 senior year.

And they're all "A" grades so far.

scphilli

The MSA Thread

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: What I was saying was that I would put money on my being a semifinalist. However, I don't have good enough credentials (grades, etc.) to be a finalist.
And I'm just saying you might have a better chance than you think in a given year. Some credentials you probably don't even know yet (for example confirming the scores by taking the SAT), while others don't write good essays. It's only 1000 people that don't make it from semi finalist to finalist and that's pretty good odds.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

My GPA is well below a 3.0. I would incredibly doubt "finalist" status.

Funsizeazn

The MSA Thread

Post by Funsizeazn »

At our school our GPA's aren't weighted, but they don't use GPA to determine valedictorian. They add "distinction points" to that. Although AP classes get more than IB, which I don't understand (or like).
what is a distinction point, and how does it work into a gpa?

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

The way it works is that your grades are the only thing used in your GPA.

However, depending on the level of classes you take, they will inflate your class rank.

socalcaptain

The MSA Thread

Post by socalcaptain »

Well, to bring this thread back to its original topic, I went to MSA this summer.

It was amazing, and I really enjoyed it. One of my favorite parts was the scholar bowl tournament -- where I got beat by Savannah's Terin Budine and her house.

And on the topic of standardized testing, I'm sitting on a 32 on the ACT and a 215 on the PSAT/NMSQT. I wasn't a big fan of the format of the PSAT...there is no reading section, and I think that reading is a good skill to have.

And, finally, on the topic of grades, GPA's, and valedictorians:
Our school is on an 11.0 scale, and I currently have like a 10.9 (non weighted) and somewhere 12 or 13 with weighted classes. That ranks me 1st in my class currently. We have a valedictorian and a salutatorian.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

Last I checked I was 190th in my class.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think Patrick Stevenson was the only kid from NKC last year at MSA.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

YES! I got my "MSA Candidacy Letter" from my school today. It also doubled a permission slip to take the WISC-IV IQ test.

Funsizeazn

The MSA Thread

Post by Funsizeazn »

congrats

blue springs sent sam bush, samantha hall, and amanda wysocki last summer
i was nominated, but had to turn it down. don't ask.

scphilli

The MSA Thread

Post by scphilli »

Funsizeazn wrote: congrats

We didn't ask. We wouldn't have thought to. But now the question is all the rage in my mind. Tell me. TELL ME!!!!!

KentB

The MSA Thread

Post by KentB »

that´s what i was thinking .. i wasn´t going to ask but i was wondering since it was mentioned

:P

socalcaptain

The MSA Thread

Post by socalcaptain »

I knew Patrick and Sam pretty well...the others not as much.

Charlie Dees

The MSA Thread

Post by Charlie Dees »

scphilli wrote:
Funsizeazn wrote: congrats

We didn't ask. We wouldn't have thought to. But now the question is all the rage in my mind. Tell me. TELL ME!!!!!
Seriously, I hate it when people say "don't ask" about something like that. They're just begging to be asked.

hugatree1715

The MSA Thread

Post by hugatree1715 »

I just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! I'll be going to MSA from June 10-June 30.

AShoaib

The MSA Thread

Post by AShoaib »

I didn't get into MSA. I took the PSAT and got a 195. Our timer screwed up the timing, so we had 5 minutes less on the first part of the test.

-_-

Eureka's sending 5 kids to MSA this year, only one of which is in Quiz Bowl, Kevin Z. Sheng.

We're sending:
Kevin Sheng
Spencer Templeton
Dani O'Neil
Ellen Rosebrough (a bleeding Thespian)
Amy Something-generic

Class rank is a load of lies. I'm ranked one, and I didn't get into MSA, which shows you how effectively the class rank works. We have weighted grades, my cumulative GPA is 4.45 or something. Number 10 (Kevin) is going to MSA, as is number 6 (Spencer). Ah well, who cares really? I just need to ace the ACT and PSAT next year. Oh, and I got a 28 on the PLAN test. I hated it. It says I'll get a 28-31 on the ACT.

:(