Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

my computer is better than a mac...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
libertymark

Post by libertymark »

a few words for you...

PC dual booting Vista and Mac OS X 10.4.4

take that bootcamp

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Is this why you called me?

And have they not hacked 10.4.7 yet? Does Software Update work? (Not a big deal; there aren't any major feature differences...)

I'm surprised your computer is running Vista, although it's really only your processor that's not very good.

And no it's not, although it's a lot cheaper

If my laptop weren't so old I'd probably try it but it probably wouldn't work very well.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh, nice premature posting... you forgot the part about not being able to get back into Vista...

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

and the part that we can't format the hard drive to retry so we can fix everything

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

update:

i have finished reinstalling vista and now both operating systems work but i still haven't installed a boot manager so its not easy to get to the other os. that i have left for tomorrows work.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

libertymark wrote: update:

i have finished reinstalling vista and now both operating systems work but i still haven't installed a boot manager so its not easy to get to the other os.  that i have left for tomorrows work.
Good...

On the other hand... my laptop wouldn't recognize the CD drive after it restarted following a Windows update. I had to put in the floppy drive to be able to boot but it seems to have recognized it now. We'll see if it recognizes it when I reboot someday (although I think I'll be reformatting it completely this weekend)

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

okay we ran into a major snag today. we installed a boot manger and well it didn't recognize vista so we couldn't dual boot. we tried others and i got the coolest three words a compter and give you....

Missing Operating System

it is a dell booting Mac OSX and no windows

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Wait a minute, you need an XP disc? I have my Dell restore disks and a copy of XP Pro if you want to try to revert to that... or are you just going to wait until there's a boot loader compatible with Vista?

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

um i need xp home which no one on campus seems to own

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

My Dell restore disk has XP Home - not sure if it will work though

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Could this not have been discussed in person? I fail to see the point.

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

i don't really understand what's going on, but i'm just wondering, is it legal?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Mark is trying to use two Operating Systems. One being the lastest Mac OS (I think it is the lastest don't really keep up to date with Crapple stuff) and the newest version of Windows called Vista. Vista isn't out for sell yet... but if you are good you can get a copies months in advanced (I think computer makers have had it since July) As for you Chuck... don't like the topic don't read the posts

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

OS X is up to 10.4.7 but there aren't really any major functionality updates between that and 10.4.4 (just security updates, bug fixes and such). And the misc board has been used for things like this plenty of times before... just look at how many threads are titled "TMCE".

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote: just look at how many threads are titled "TMCE".
I'll go through and count one of these days.

In any case, it's not like these threads are bumping down anything else worthwhile. Anything that gets rid of the "Fergie" thread is fine by me.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

And to answer if it is legal... if the copies of the operating systems are owned it should be. I'm not sure what the license agreement is on Vista RC1

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well you can DL it... I'm sure it is on Seek, XP was on there a good three months before it came out. However Microsoft does allow beta testing (which we are out of that stage) so I would imagine you could get a copy of it.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Mark is trying to use two Operating Systems. One being the lastest Mac OS (I think it is the lastest don't really keep up to date with Crapple stuff) and the newest version of Windows called Vista. Vista isn't out for sell yet... but if you are good you can get a copies months in advanced (I think computer makers have had it since July) As for you Chuck... don't like the topic don't read the posts
ok I was wonderiing what was going on there, i thought i'd missed the release of vista

it's been 4yrs since becca and i got a new computer maybe it's time for a new one. we'll see.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

ScoBo1987 wrote: And to answer if it is legal... if the copies of the operating systems are owned it should be.  I'm not sure what the license agreement is on Vista RC1
um actually there is only one way this is legal and thats if you buy a mac, download bootcamp, install windows, delete mac, and install mac this way which is stupid. the reason is that you are violating a bunch of copy right laws.

i got my xp home disks from my dad this weekend so i guess ill get around to getting it to work.

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

libertymark wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote: And to answer if it is legal... if the copies of the operating systems are owned it should be.  I'm not sure what the license agreement is on Vista RC1
um actually there is only one way this is legal and thats if you buy a mac, download bootcamp, install windows, delete mac, and install mac this way which is stupid. the reason is that you are violating a bunch of copy right laws.

i got my xp home disks from my dad this weekend so i guess ill get around to getting it to work.
How does it break copyright law? There's no way in the world it could ever possibly violate copyright law.

Now, does it break the EULA? Probably not, I'd like to hear your logic though.
Of course, EULA's haven't been proven to be legitimately binding contracts anyways, so, who knows.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm not going to look through the legalese and such but I think you're on the right track - it shouldn't break copyright law, but I'm sure there's something in the EULA that restricts reverse engineering and such.

Of course, most EULAs say you can only install software on one computer... now who obeys that one???

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Microsoft EULA anymore give you three computers you can put it on. And Shawn Vista isn't out yet.. November I think is the release date.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Last I heard businesses will get it in Nov or Dec and Amazon is listing the retail release date as January 30.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

alright i reinstalled xp on my dell and it is now officially dual booting xp and osx. there are a bunch of problems with it though. eventually i will get around to posting stuff somewhere.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

does anyone know how to fix registry errors?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

libertymark wrote: does anyone know how to fix registry errors?
Not 46 of them...

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

yeah i followed their instructions and i have to buy the software to fix them (or find a cracked version). so i tried to fix it through my xp install disk but i have no idea what im doing. not very user friendly.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

well instead of fixing my registry im going to try to flash my bios to support booting from usb so i can install os on my external hard drive