Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

lalalalala

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
mujason

lalalalala

Post by mujason »

By the way, Marie, today is Spanish painter Joan Miro's birthday, thus explaining Google's logo today.

flycaitiee69

lalalalala

Post by flycaitiee69 »

LibertyMarie wrote: Anyone seen google today? 4/20=Miro? eh??
and pretty much national pot-head day.

:)

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Thanks, Jason. I kind of suspected that, but I was still amused...it's not the first thing about April 20 that I think of. haha.

(And, yeah, Jason, I know that neither paint nor pot is what comes to mind for you for this day, we've seen you mention it five times already today.)

Trying to explain 420 to my parents...because our old house's address was 420 Pershing, and they always refer to it just as 420...lol that didn't go so well.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: Anyone seen google today? 4/20=Miro? eh??
Yeah I saw it before the Artists Rights Society asked them to take it down on behalf of his family

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

hahaha wow

AC160

lalalalala

Post by AC160 »

The school of hard knocks.

AC160

lalalalala

Post by AC160 »

Life is complicated.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

shoot dang, man, who killed the boards??

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

you did

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

bite me

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

haha that was a good one

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

I try.
Yeah I need to go to bed...well either that or work on one of the FIVE PAPERS i have to do in the very near future, but either way does not involve being on here. (plenty of time for that at work in the morning.) I did my part in unkilling the boards for a little bit, at least.

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

with 3 posts... I guess we all do our part.

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

is there a better show then saved by the bell

S.C.Mitchell07

lalalalala

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

East Buc & UMR wrote: is there a better show then saved by the bell
Battlestar Galactica (October is really far away)
24, which I did not GET TO SEE BECAUSE THE GHETTO IMPROVISED FOX AFFILIATE LOST SERVICE FOR THE DURATION OF THE SHOW AND DECIDED NOT TO REAIR IT.

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

East Buc & UMR wrote: is there a better show then saved by the bell
Dang you guys still remember that show? Haha, I'm old cause I saw the original cast in high school, in the original run, when I was still in high school! My sister and I would make fun of the show since it seemed only about a dozen students attended Bayside.

OK, any of you remember seeing Dinosaurs?

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

lol, yes, I vaguely remember Dinosaurs. "I'm a baby, gotta love me!" or whatev? I can't have been very old when it aired, but I remember enjoying it *shrug*...

Hmm, my favorite old-school show...I like original Star Trek hehe...I don't know, I didn't watch a lot of tv in the 80s/early 90s beyond kiddie shows (Animaniacs, Power Rangers, all the Disney cartoons [Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Chip and Dale])...idk. I enjoyed Fresh Prince, I guess (although I watched more of it in reruns than originally airing lol), but then who didn't??

My fave show EVER though would definitely be Lois and Clark. Alas, Amazon has had the second season listed for 44.99 for months now...usually their prices fluctuate some, and I was gonna buy it the next time it dipped a bit lol...

Speaking of Amazon, I made a ton of purchases there winter break-ish, because of Christmas and textbooks and such...after the last book I bought there it offered me a free trial of Prime, which I'd been offered before but decided it'd be a bad idea, but this time I was all, yeah, I've been using amazon a TON, this is a good idea...yeah, it expired yesterday, and I didn't buy ONE thing using it. haha.

yay for rambling.....

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I saw the orginal run of Saved by the bell... and the reruns on TBS and WGN. But Adult swim is showing them at 11pm... forgot how much I liked the show.

and not the mama

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

STPickrell wrote: OK, any of you remember seeing Dinosaurs?
I enjoyed it as well. The grandma on there was awesome.

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

Guess I'm not as ancient as I thought I was. either that or I'm just surrounded by trivia buffs. but do any of you remember seeing the Good Morning, Miss Bliss episodes? Not sure where they are in syndication these days.

Bill or Jason might've seen 'em on Disney during their original run at the age of like 4 or 5; I saw them on TBS during syndication and my sister and I were moderately freaked out that there was a prequel of some sort to Saved By The Bell.

I didn't get the 10-foot C-band satellite dish until I was 10 and it wasn't until I was like 15 or 16 that my dad bought the descrambler and got Disney Channel as one of the channels. That and he was always watching the one TV that was hooked up to the dish. Therefore I was stuck turning the Channel Master thingie that moved the antenna around and trying to get something resembling an image on the screen. Did any of you guys get to grow up with those things?

As for Dinosaurs my fave grandma Sinclair line was this: "I was saving it for your college. But a voice in my head kept saying, "The only way she's going to college is inside a cake at a frat house party."

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I didn't know it was called good morning miss bliss till I looked up SbtB on wikipedia last week.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

STPickrell wrote: As for Dinosaurs my fave grandma Sinclair line was this: "I was saving it for your college. But a voice in my head kept saying, "The only way she's going to college is inside a cake at a frat house party."
AL!!!

And, wow, thanks for the reminder of why I always thought it was cool that the Sinclair gas station has a big green dinosaur in front of it. (I presume that didn't actually have anything to do with the show, though...right?)

S.C.Mitchell07

lalalalala

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Hey everyone come look at how great I look!

AC160

lalalalala

Post by AC160 »

I skipped going to Celebration City tonight. I think only this college is going to be there too.

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

LibertyMarie wrote:
STPickrell wrote: As for Dinosaurs my fave grandma Sinclair line was this: "I was saving it for your college. But a voice in my head kept saying, "The only way she's going to college is inside a cake at a frat house party."
AL!!!

And, wow, thanks for the reminder of why I always thought it was cool that the Sinclair gas station has a big green dinosaur in front of it. (I presume that didn't actually have anything to do with the show, though...right?)
I've wondered that as well.
Wikipedia wrote:Sinclair used a green dinosaur, presumably a "brontosaurus", as its corporate logo and mascot. The high-octane fuel blend was called "Dino Supreme", inflatable dinosaurs were given as promotional items and an anthropomorphic version appeared as a station attendant in advertisements. After the acquisition by ARCO, the dinosaur was phased out, with at least one service station, located in Winona, Minnesota, retaining the look through the 1980s. The animatronic family of the TV series Dinosaurs was given the surname "Sinclair" after the oil company. A number of other characters on the show also had names that were petroleum-related references.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Hey, thanks!

...am I the only person who's the least bit skeptical of the whole idea of Wikipedia...? lol

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

I don't really trust it all that much, no. One of the questions I wrote for our spring tourney had an error in it due to Wiki being wrong (that error has since been fixed, though).

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Yeh...I'm just sayin', for the Sinclair thing, someone might have randomly thrown that in because it made sense to him for that to be the case. *shrug*

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

For the purposes of chest-beating in this thread, Wiki is just fine. I'm inclined to think the name Sinclair was patterned after the oil company; I think Earl's best friend was named "Hess", his boss was "B.P. Richfield," so the oil company motif makes sense. There were a few other oil references in there too.

For question writing, I verify anything I don't already know from a non-Wikipedia source.

S.C.Mitchell07

lalalalala

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

STPickrell wrote: For the purposes of chest-beating in this thread, Wiki is just fine. I'm inclined to think the name Sinclair was patterned after the oil company; I think Earl's best friend was named "Hess", his boss was "B.P. Richfield," so the oil company motif makes sense. There were a few other oil references in there too.

For question writing, I verify anything I don't already know from a non-Wikipedia source.
It makes sense because dinosaurs ---> petroleum...

mujason

lalalalala

Post by mujason »

Yeah, the oil company thing is correct. I checked my TV book, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows. However, it only goes through summer of 1999 and I think a new edition has come out since then. I should upgrade it.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

STPickrell wrote: For the purposes of chest-beating in this thread
chest-beating? eh?

and look at what a good person I am for not making a comment about Jason's post!! oh, wait...

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I spent about 15 minutes this morning debating on hitting the add reply button I choose not to

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

We are truly a noble crowd.

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

that we are

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

LibertyMarie wrote:
STPickrell wrote: For the purposes of chest-beating in this thread
chest-beating? eh?

and look at what a good person I am for not making a comment about Jason's post!! oh, wait...
Hmm, maybe chest-beating is the wrong word. OK, for the purposes of making points in this thread, Wikipedia is fine.

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

mujason wrote: Yeah, the oil company thing is correct. I checked my TV book, The Complete Directory to Prime Time Network and Cable TV Shows. However, it only goes through summer of 1999 and I think a new edition has come out since then. I should upgrade it.
Thx for the verification. I have a Joel Whitburn book of all the Top 40 songs but it only goes up through 1996. I suppose I need to upgrade my out of date reference book as well.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

lalalalala

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I spent about 15 minutes this morning debating on hitting the add reply button I choose not to
It comes in handy.

The TV Book, I mean.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

OMG MY EYES HURT I THINK I'M DYING OF THE CONTACT-SOLUTION EYE INFECTION...AAAAAAAAAAAAAUGHLJKADGJSDLKFGJ

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

i reallyreallyreally need to go to the nurse, but she's only there 8-3:30, and every hour of the daytime is spent either at work or in class...

would you still love me if i went blind??

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

lalalalala

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

LibertyMarie wrote: i reallyreallyreally need to go to the nurse, but she's only there 8-3:30, and every hour of the daytime is spent either at work or in class...

would you still love me if i went blind??
Yes, because I wouldn't be blind.

mujason

lalalalala

Post by mujason »

My Whitburn Top 40 book goes through the end of 1999.

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

mujason wrote: My Whitburn Top 40 book goes through the end of 1999.
Whitburn is up to 2002 by now. Then to complete your knowledge, there is his book, "Pop Memories 1890-1954". Fun stuff. I might add them to my Amazon wish list. My third wish would be his Top Country Songs 1944-2005 (6th Ed.)

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

LibertyMarie wrote: would you still love me if i went blind??
OK, does anyone aside from Jason and Bill know why this Q has special meaning for me???

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Not me...apologies for joking about it. I'm just a little paranoid about this whole deal.

STPickrell

lalalalala

Post by STPickrell »

LibertyMarie wrote: Not me...apologies for joking about it. I'm just a little paranoid about this whole deal.
oh no i wasn't offended at all. my wife is blind. :-)

AC160

lalalalala

Post by AC160 »

LibertyMarie wrote: OMG MY EYES HURT I THINK I'M DYING OF THE CONTACT-SOLUTION EYE INFECTION...AAAAAAAAAAAAAUGHLJKADGJSDLKFGJ
Quit using it then, and change to aanother kind.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Yeah I switched it after my first such episode a couple weeks ago. But thanks for the suggestion.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

So!

Today it's cold and rainy and gloomy.
Yesterday a boy in one of my classes got "kicked out" of school.
Today (and last night) my allergies have been absolutely kicking my butt and marie has taken Zyrtec, Astelin, Atrovent, Sudafed, and Benadryl.
Today (and the last few days) my eyes have been absolutely killing me (although Visine is a god).
Today I discovered that my favorite $230 toy is broken (although the secretary at work--I try to avoid the whole "someone's my second mom" thing, but she is definitely worthy of the title--called a camera store for advisement. Apparently there was a recall on some LCD screens, hopefully I qualify...but I can't find information anywhere about this recall, even at canonusa.com which the camera guy said would have it).
In an hour I have an oral presentation on James Joyce for which I'm not particularly prepared.
In a few hours I'm going to the relg/phil dept "senior honors banquet." Non-seniors were invited but the only ones going are me and this hott boi whom I don't know but he was in this insane dream I had last night haha...awkward. (Not the dream part, that's only awkward in my head lol, but the whole thing.)
In several hours I'm going to go hang out with the college kids from church...that'll be happyfunawkward, too...
This weekend I have to write three five-page papers and a scholarship essay (with the effing prompt "explain why you are applying for the scholarship").

blaaaaaaaah

(lol reading stream-of-consciousness makes me want to die, but it's not so bad to write! haha. [well, yeah, the actual literary technique is creating it for a character, not doing it yourself, but still.])

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

effing camera.