Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

State Results

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Here's the quick summary:

Class 1:
1. Mound City
2. Thomas Jefferson
3. Bell City
4. Worth County

Class 2:
1. Richland
2. Viburnum
3. South Shelby
4. Barstow

Class 3:
1. Savannah
2. Westminster Christian
3. Notre Dame
4. Pembroke Hill

Class 4:
1. Parkway Central
2. Liberty
3. St. Louis University High
4. Webb City

More detailed results to follow later.

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Here are some quick comments from what I've heard and seen:

Class 1: I'd classify Mound City over TJ as a big upset. We all knew that Mound City was good, but TJ was undefeated against some good competition.

Class 2: The Richland Bears came through again against a one-man wrecking crew, this time Viburnum's Matt Chadbourne. Maybe him, me, and Bob Gray should form a club or something... (just kidding)

Class 3: WOW. Savannah and WCA both had at least one 600-point game; the title game ended up with Savannah rallying from a 5-point halftime deficit to beat WCA by 100. By the way, Savannah broke the all-time team scoring record previously held by the 1997 North Kansas City team (aka Mike Wehrman's Senior Year).

Class 4: Parity ruled the day here. Kirksville missed the playoffs by a mere 25 points and Eureka missed the playoffs despite having the highest scoring average in Class 4 in the morning rounds (they lost to Parkway Central by 10 and Webb City by 5). I didn't see the Parkway Central-Liberty game; so I'll leave the comments on it to the people who actually saw it and played in it.

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Here's the list of All-Staters:

Class 1:
1. Travis Eakin, Jr, Bell City, 13.5
2. Alex Moore, Sr, Mound City, 11.6
3. Seth Kinast, Sr, Thomas Jefferson, 8.5
4. Josh Porte, Jr, Thomas Jefferson, 7.5
5. Devan Dignan, Sr, Worth County, 7.2
6. Mark Buhrmester, Sr, Norborne, 7.0
7. Brandon Thomas, So, Mound City, 6.8
8. Eden Hudson, Jr, North Shelby, 5.33

Class 2:
1. Matt Chadbourne, Sr, Viburnum, 13.4
2. Warren Hays, Jr, Eugene, 10.67
3. Nick Kramer, Jr, Barstow, 9.0
4. Jared Kathcart, Jr, Richland, 7.4
5. David Scott, Sr, Richland, 7.0
6. Matt Hercules, Sr, South Shelby, 6.8
7. Paul Arnold, Sr, Adrian, 6.0
8. Colby Painter, Sr, South Shelby, 5.4

Class 3:
1. Kim Kerr, Sr, Savannah, 13.6
2. George Thampy, Jr, Westminster Christian, 10.8
3. Joseph Kellogg, Jr, Strafford, 9.0
4. Andrew Fields, Sr, Westminster Christian, 8.6
5. Andrew Hoekzema, So, Westminster Christian, 8.4
6. Darren Wood, Sr, Savannah, 7.2
7. Andrew Cook, Jr, Clark County, 6.33
8. Michael Beecher, Sr, Pembroke Hill, 5.6

Class 4:
1. Jimmy Li, Jr, Parkway Central, 15.2
2. Taige Hou, Sr, Webb City, 12.4
3. Tim Carroll, Jr, Kirksville, 11.67
4. Michael Richards, Jr, Liberty, 9.8
5. Arthur Lei, Sr, Eureka, 9.33
6. Lisa Laney, Sr, Raytown South, 8.33
7. Timo Kim, So, St. Louis Univ. High, 7.0
8. Ryan Dusheke, Sr, Raytown South, 6.67

JimmyL

State Results

Post by JimmyL »

wow....what a day. just to point out, Arthur Lei is a Junior, they screwed that up on the program. So few points made such a huge difference throughout the day.

wca

State Results

Post by wca »

Wow is probably not the word for it. Not how I would have liked my last game to go, but I think I gave it my best and was beat. Congratulations Savannah, you were the better team. I do believe that if we had played that game a hundred times we would have won fifty they would have won fifty. Congrats to Parkway Central. Good job, and I think I will predict a repeat for next year. Overall, I think the whole thing was well done. I disliked the questions in general, but that has been noted quite extensively on previous occasions. Overall, a good ending to a great year. Congratulations to all the winners.

wca

State Results

Post by wca »

Oh, by the way Jason. You did not think that Westminster Christian could get three players in the top eight. You were correct.

LibertyMarie

State Results

Post by LibertyMarie »

wow... what a crazy day.

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Actually, I was wrong about WCA getting three members into state; I knew George and Andrew F. were good from last year; I hadn't heard about Andrew H, he's a good young player. It just goes to show the level of play when both Savannah and WCA score 600+ against the third place team of Notre Dame. Great play from both teams; I'm looking forward to next season's matchup. Also, I'm hoping that Mizzou can actually go to several tournaments next year and be able to have Eapen play for us; I'm sure he's capable of starting.

blackholecomplex

State Results

Post by blackholecomplex »

Wow, the Savannah/WCA game had to be quite a match. As good as WCA did, I'm not really suprised Savannah won. They're already an amazing team, and I'm quite sure when it counts they can pull through. Even more than that, the new high scores. Simply unbelievable.

Not just that, but Mound City and TJ in 1A. I knew Mound City was good from their previous acheivements, but to beat TJ truly is a great accomplishment. On a related note, (not to offend) isn't it kinda funny no private schools won state this year?

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Well, I guess the 1.35 multiplier helped a tad, but several came close: TJ, WCA, Notre Dame, and Pembroke Hill all made the playoffs. Who knows if this is actually indicative of something?

DeckardCain

State Results

Post by DeckardCain »

Instead of a club, Jason, how about a support group? :lol:

Seriously, though, I have no shame at all in losing to Richland. They're awesome. I got a chance to play in the state championship game. It would have been nice to win, but that's just how it goes.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

i really do not think any schools moved in quiz bowl do to the 1.35

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

Wow.....awesome day. I don't know about anyone else, but I am truely upset with with my playing on a personal level, but other than that, I am so proud of my team, EVERYONE contributed.

Anyway, congrats to all winners, and good luck next year.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

what the hell could you be upset about?

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

I was not in the mind set to be playing in an academic tounament. This cost me some questions that might have decided any of the 5 games in the other teams favor.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

didn't you go 5-0 what more do you want? so you miss 5 question whoopie freaking do

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

Nevermind, I guess I sound like a retard. It's just that I expected more from myself, but oh well.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is ok to be mad at yourself it is ok to want to be better. But it sounds cocky when you go 5-0 and make all-state (4th place) and say it on here

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

I know, I realized that after I said that, I just wanted to get the frustration out of my system.

DSavage

State Results

Post by DSavage »

Well, i don't exactly like people who like to talk smack, even when they've lost a match. The thing is, Savannah has beaten WCA three times this year, not including the time last year. Even if you say that you woule have beaten Savannah half of the time, you have catching up to do. Well, i guess all we have to do is go to ASCN and do what we can. I'll get back to you on that. I've only seen three teams that I thought were unstoppable, and I've been to three ASCN tournaments. Northside Fort Smith AR, 2001; Irmo SC, 2002; and Dorman SC 2003.
Those are the best teams I've ever seen play.
Also, I had a gut feeling that Mound City would beat TJ. Just from how much their captain told me they had been studying, well, thats all i have for tonight. Too late to think.

DeckardCain

State Results

Post by DeckardCain »

I know throwing away points is frustrating, I did it a lot in the first two games.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is ok, I had a chat with jaychamp today about running his mouth by the way. It will be nice to see if you can carry richland next year.

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

All I can do is try. Rest assured though, i won't be carrying the team, I will undoubtably have help.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Dsavage could you be anymore of an ass?

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well you will not have david, so 7 tupg will have to come from somewhere

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

Very true, but my plan for strategy is something that I hope will make up for that. We'll just have to wait and see of it does (if I even choose to play next year).

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

burned out all ready? most richland players do not until they reach college

wca

State Results

Post by wca »

DSavage, I am not talking smack. I truly think you guys are an amazing team and deserve first place. I also think that we played a pretty good game and deserve some credit. This is the only game you have beaten us on Straight A questions (Cuba tournament was a litttle unorthodox, but we still gave you a run for your money in the finals). I mean no disrespect, I simply think that given another chance we could have won the game. Congratulations on your victory, your hardwork paid off. I hope you do well at ASCN, show the rest of the country that Missouri has something going on.

jkath29

State Results

Post by jkath29 »

ha ha...It's more of a personal ordeal, as opossed to a feeling towards academic team.

JimmyL

State Results

Post by JimmyL »

Yea, I will freely admit that if Eureka had received 10 extra points, we would have not even reached the lunch playoffs...it was incredibly close in the morning....5 teams went 2-1 in 4A.

With quizbowl, how well you play in one particular game and how well suited you are to the questions make such a huge difference on the outcome. Congrats for Savannah and Westminster for breaking the 600 point barrier...simply incredible...and props to Westminster for giving up (didn't see the finals, but i'm sure it was great) a great fight at state in a difficult division when they would have sweeped any other division handedly.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

State Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

That final could have easily gone either way... it was just a matter of judging when to buzz in. It was the same last year. We got our turn last year, and PC got it this year. Congratulations to Parkway for putting together such an astounding team in one short year. And seeing how the majority of our teams were juniors this year, I'm predicting another championship rematch to cap off our senior years.

It was a little depressing to lose by only 55 points, but when you think about going 5-4 in our first two tournaments, getting to State seemed to be challenging enough. But at the Truman tournament, we went 5-0, beating Savannah in the final round by 15 points, and we realized it was very possible. But with NKC's loss of Hoan and Caleb, and Truman's loss of Matt, our big competition was gone, and that's the main reason we did so well, and the facade of thinking it wouldn't be as difficult as last year, no matter how much I tried to ignore it, wouldn't go away.

At state, we had to play a completely different game then we had been used to. All 5 of the 2-1 teams were about as equally good; it just depended on the specific questions and timing buzzes. Even so, our best performance was probably not any game at state, but our 120 point win over Savannah at Lexington.

If this hasn't been said before, [Kyle noticed that] the questions followed the exact same pattern every round.

JimmyL

State Results

Post by JimmyL »

I truly feel bad for Eureka and Kirksville....they deserved to be in the top four teams; they are both outstanding. Great game, scobo, it was one definitely to be remembered. I agree, the timing of the buzzing, as usual, played a huge part. Once again, you guys were superb during the bonus rounds. Well anyway, congrats, great game, and let's hope we both reach the finals of state again next year....and hopefully PCH be going to some KC tournaments next year (at least one!).

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

State Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

wca wrote: I do believe that if we had played that game a hundred times we would have won fifty they would have won fifty.
I would say the same for us and Parkway Central. They were truly phenomenal on the straight tossups, and we were strong on bonuses.

Jeffrey Hill

State Results

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Also, looking at the program, the only tournament Savannah didn't place 1st or 2nd at was ours... I have to admit it was because of my crappy lightning round placement (from a player's perspective, when you're behind, you want an easy with two hard ones when you're behind, so that's unfortunately how I tended to place them), but that's just how the game works. The biggest thing is to learn from mistakes, and I'm sure every person who was there with Liberty in the final will remember Stephen Crane survived a sinking boat and wrote "The Open Boat". That's the same with the way I handle questions next year.

Cap'nHook(er)

State Results

Post by Cap'nHook(er) »

Contrary to many people's beliefs, Jared will not FULLY be carrying the team (if he plays). We have an outstandingly knowledgable freshman right now who will be a great help to the team and may be able to contribute anywhere from 3-6 per game next year. And I myself am already preparing for some serious studying over the summer and next year. I only missed the All-State team by 3 questions to tie for 8th. Oh well. I'm very glad with the distribution of our points and our team's ability to work well together. Our top 2 players were even and our other 2 starters were fairly even too. (David had 7.0 and Jared had 7.4; I had 4.8 or 5.0 and Daniel Sprague had 4) If we didn't have one of us, I do not think that State would have turned out the way it did.

LibertyMarie

State Results

Post by LibertyMarie »

I'm sure every person who was there with Liberty in the final will remember Stephen Crane survived a sinking boat and wrote "The Open Boat"
uh, jeph... actually, i wouldn't've remembered that one, buddy... lol. i suppose i was too thoroughly engrossed in my diligent stat-keeping... lmao or something

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

I think that question was in the title game, as I remember it was in the Class 3 game (I think Savannah got it before The Open Boat, even, IIRC). Of course, as for the Class 4 results, at least six teams had a case for the top four, and even Raytown South did well (two all-staters, and I saw them hang with Liberty) and Hannibal (who made a return trip to state; I was surprised Chris Nelson didn't make All-State again).

wca

State Results

Post by wca »

We got that one

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Sorry. Nice job on that one.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

good one jason

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Thanks, Bill. I guess my mistake was from my notion of literature = Kim Kerr. I would definitely enjoy having any Savannah player or WCA player or any other high school player come play at Mizzou.

LibertyMarie

State Results

Post by LibertyMarie »

wow, I love how you go from saying any Savannah player to just any player... that's nice.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

nice edit there jason, nice to see noone wants to play with you still

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Well, I'm trying to say that I like the Savannah system and their players but trying to be sure that I like all high school players, especially those who have talent and/or put in a lot of effort.

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Bill, that wasn't an edit. I typed it up like that originally.

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

yet the chances of you getting a savannah player to play with you is nil

DSavage

State Results

Post by DSavage »

Well, just figured I'd add this, Savannah players will be done with quiz bowl after HS. I know this for a fact, or a least a strong certainty. We're done. I'm pretty sure that no one will from our team, I'm at least sure as far as the seniors go.

LibertyMarie

State Results

Post by LibertyMarie »

uh... i'm happy for you?

East Buc & UMR

State Results

Post by East Buc & UMR »

glad to see another group of kids getting burnt out. Wonder which school has more richland or savannah. The best part of the new season is playing/spanking the new recruits

mujason

State Results

Post by mujason »

Hey, I talked Greg Martin into coming to one practice! He looked pretty good after compensating for rustiness.