Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
Follow Matt's Buzzers on Facebook on Tuesday, November 20 (Matt's birthday) for a chance to win one of two special grants awarded in memory of Matt's dad, Mike.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 am

St. Charles Open at St. Charles CC 

Post St. Charles Open at St. Charles CC
Stats for this event can be found here:

Preliminary Results: http://results.scobo.net/StCharlesCC/2010SCCOpenPre
Combined Results: http://results.scobo.net/StCharlesCC/2010SCCOpen

Hello, everyone! I'm pleased to announce that the St. Charles Community College Quiz Bowl Team will be hosting its first ever collegiate event, the St. Charles Open, on the 17th of July 2010. I, Charles Hang, will be serving as the Tournament Director and can be reached at charleshang228@yahoo.com.

Questions

The tournament will be using the Solon Spring Tournament set, details of which can be found here: http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9537

Registration

To register, please e-mail me at charleshang228@yahoo.com. Please indicate the following information:

1/ The Number of teams you will be bringing
2/ The Number of buzzers you will be bringing
3/ The number of players you will have, as well as their names.
4/ The number of staff (moderators and scorekeepers) you will be bringing

We would strongly prefer for teams to form before the event and register as a team, though we will allow free agents to sign up and join teams before the actual event.

Fee Structure

Base Fee: $15 per high school player on your team, $20 per collegiate and beyond player on your team.*

*Recent high school graduates of the Class of 2010 are still considered high school players for these purposes.

Buzzer Discount: -$10 per working buzzer
Moderator Discount: -$10 per moderator
Scorekeeper Discount: -$5 per scorekeeper
Single School Team Discount: -$10 for teams made up either entirely of players who are staff, graduates, and/or students of the same school (collegiate or secondary)

Showing up late without getting in touch with me: +$20 penalty.

Minimum Fee: $20.

We are, of course, willing to make accommodations if a team has trouble paying and wishes to arrange a payment plan, etc.
Please make checks out to "St. Charles Community College;" we can also take cash payments but greatly prefer payments by check.

Eligibility

Anyone can play this on any team. We would greatly prefer if you don't form “super-teams” for this tournament, given the nature of the field and the level of the questions.

This tournament will be held at St. Charles Community College, in the Social Sciences Building. The address of the college is:
4601 Mid Rivers Mall Drive
Cottleville, MO 63376

Parking is plentiful.

Time

We will begin at 9:30 in a room to be determined. Please show up by 9:00 for this tournament, especially if you are a free agent needing to be matched up with a team, or get in touch with me if you know you can't make it on time. Once you register, I'll send you a confirmation including my phone number for contact purposes.

We expect to be done before 4:00 PM.

Tournament Format

Our precise schedule depends on how many teams we will have in attendance and will be finalized a couple of days beforehand. If we have 5-6 teams, we will probably have a double round robin; if we have 7-8 teams, we will probably have a round robin, then rebracket and an advantaged final for the top two teams. Regardless, we will guarantee all teams at least 8 games and be done by 4:00 PM.

Field

Attending

(Bolded teams have sent in their registration emails)

St. Charles A (Mike Janoski/Jared Lund)
L'équipe de l'Hospital de l'ville Jefferson (Sam Haynes/Uday Malhotra/Zach Wallis)
WUHSAC 09 Game 1 Reunion (Kevin Robb/David Lanza/Sabrina Fritz)
Greyhounds in Blue and Orange (Ikshu Neithaleth/Gabrielle Lachtrup)
Jaguar Reunion (Dylan Becraft/Julia Price/Austin Henke/Michael Coffin)
Bowlcuts of Fire (Kyle Bailey/JD Lister/Rigel Robinson/Yicheng Bao)
Brethren of the Fried Twinkies (Kim Lister/Elizabeth Carroll/Eileen Zhu)
Hobo (Dan Donohue)
Maybe Attending

Megan Schuller (SCC A)

Expressed Interest
(Many people--check the facebook event at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=132290863459059)

I look forward to seeing you at St. Charles on the 17th of July.

Last edited by Charbroil on Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 43 times in total.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Post Re: St. Charles Open at St. Charles CC
Teams of four? Do the people on the teams have to be current high school/college students?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:14 pm

WillHack wrote:
Teams of four? Do the people on the teams have to be current high school/college students?

Yes to the first, though obviously there's the possibility that some teams will be shorthanded. And no to the second.

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Just wanted to remind everyone that this is only two weeks away, and that people should start registering teams. See you in two weeks!

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:01 pm

Is this the sort of thing that might tick of MSSHA, if high schoolers were to play?

Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:58 pm

To my knowledge, high schoolers are explicitly allowed to play in summer opens on non-school teams.

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:13 pm

Jason Loy wrote:
To my knowledge, high schoolers are explicitly allowed to play in summer opens on non-school teams.

This is indeed correct.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:01 pm

Just to note: A team needs to have at least three players in order to qualify for the "Team with all players from the same school" discount.

Also: Teachers and other staff from a school do count for the abovementioned discount. Feel free to bring your coaches and save money.

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Just so everyone knows, free agents and understaffed teams that show up late without contacting me will be charged $5/person. Also, please make out checks to "St. Charles Community College;" we can take cash as well, but we'd greatly appreciate payment by check.

Also, we'll be meeting in the Social Science Building Auditorium; the Social Science Building is near the back of campus and is right next to available parking.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:10 pm

So I was attempting to get my high school team back together for this, but it didn't pan out, so I'm looking for teammates - just get in touch with me if interested.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:41 pm
Profile WWW

DeckardCain wrote:
So I was attempting to get my high school team back together for this, but it didn't pan out, so I'm looking for teammates - just get in touch with me if interested.

Incidentally, regardless of whether you find teammates or not, if you could email me with your registration information (especially the number of buzzers you're bringing), that would be greatly appreciated.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:32 pm

By the way, we're still taking registrations for this and will be doing so at the door on Saturday as well, so feel free to sign up!

Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Hey, we're going to be limiting buzzer discounts to fully working buzzer sets (8 working responders) because of recent developments. Thank you for your assistance.

Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:51 pm

We've had some exciting developments in our field, so please find the fully updated field above. I look forward to seeing everyone in about eight hours.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:00 am

Nice team names...
(Reminds me of our old in-house middle school tournaments)

Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:29 am

Updated Results: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... mdetail#t2

Sat Jul 17, 2010 12:40 pm

Haha, I guess I'll post an quick overall update for those stalking this, since IDK when Charles is getting back from the train station.

Final standings (I think):
1) We Hate Each Other (Sabrina F, David L, Kevin R)
2) Batman and Robin (Ikshu N, Gabrielle L)
3) Jaguar Reunion (FZW)
4) Hobo (Dan-don)

Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:54 pm

We were 5th, dunno what order everyone else placed in.

Sat Jul 17, 2010 6:22 pm

Preliminary Results: http://results.scobo.net/StCharlesCC/2010SCCOpenPre
Combined Results: http://results.scobo.net/StCharlesCC/2010SCCOpen

Congratulations to We Hate Each Other (Sabrina Fritz/Kevin Robb/David Lanza) for taking 1st, as well as to Ikshu Neithaleth for being our top scorer. Also, I want to acknowledge the accomplishments of the Bowlcuts of Fire and Brethren of the Fried Twinkies teams; despite being entirely made up of fairly inexperienced players (including a number of recent graduates of 8th grade), they played admirably at a fairly difficult event.

In addition, thank you to everyone for attending, as well as to everyone who staffed. I especially want to express our gratitude for the help of Jason Loy, without whom this tournament would literally have disintegrated, especially when I had to leave right after the last round to drive some people home. I also want to acknowledge Jaron Ma, Anna Lee, Kimberly Lister, as well as one of the Jaguar Reunion team parents (whose name I unfortunately don't know) who helped staff our event before never having done so before; their efforts are to be commended.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that no games were played in the lower playoff bracket in round 10, and only one game was played in round 9. This was due to the departure of the SCC house team because the members had to leave for work by 4, which was fully sanctioned by the Tournament Director. This event did take a bit longer to complete than anticipated because of a few minor logistical issues and the inexperience of two of our moderators, for which I apologize.

We enjoyed getting the chance to host our first ever tournament ever, and plan to host a high school event in the Fall, so we hope to see many of you there.

Last edited by Charbroil on Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:26 pm

All I know is we beat Fried Twinkies in round 9, then sat in our room for round 10 a while until someone came in and told us the SCC team left for work.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:58 pm

octo wrote:
All I know is we beat Fried Twinkies in round 9, then sat in our room for round 10 a while until someone came in and told us the SCC team left for work.

My apologies for not making sure everyone knew.

Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:00 pm

Hey, if anyone who attended this event wants the questions, email me and I'll send them to you. Obviously, don't distribute them to anyone who hasn't seen them before and might plausibly play this tournament in the future.

Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm