Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Delayed Penn Bowl Mirror at Truman State (2/13/10)

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KentB

Delayed Penn Bowl Mirror at Truman State (2/13/10)

Post by KentB »

Truman State University ACO is proud to announce it will be mirroring Penn Bowl 2010 on January 30, 2010 in Kirksville, MO. I will serve as Tournament Director for this mirror.

As usual, this is a packet submission tournament. As of now, Chris White, Sid Chandrasekhar, and I will be co-editing the set with Eric Mukherjee overseeing the process and adding input where necessary. The target difficulty will be regular difficulty. See Penn Bowl 2009, TIT 2009, or ACF Winter 2008 for examples of our target difficulty.

Distribution:
Please note this is slightly different from the usual ACF distribution.
5/5 Literature--1/1 British, 1/1 European 500 CE onwards, 1/1 American, 1/1 World (includes classical), 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 History--1/1 US, 1/1 World, 2/2 European, Canadian, Australian (should include 1 classical and no more than 1 Canadian or Australian), 1/1 Your Choice
5/5 Science--1/1 Biology, 1/1 Chemistry, 1/1 Physics, 1 question Math/CS, 1 question Earth Sci/Astro, 1/1 Your Choice
3/3 Religion, Mythology and Philosophy--1/1 of each; should be different religions, mythologies, and philosophy time periods
3/3 Fine Arts--1/1 non-opera classical music, 1/1 painting, 1/1 other (opera, jazz, architecture, etc.)
2/2 Social science, geography--should include at least 1 question from each category (e.g. 2/1 ss, 0/1 geo or 1/1 ss, 1/1 geo but not 2/2 ss)
1/1 Trash, current events
Total: 24/24

If any clarification needs to be made on any of these, please e-mail Mehdi at padt@dolphin.upenn.edu or post in the main Penn Bowl main site announcement thread.

Packets and Deadlines:
If anyone on a given team played a collegiate tournament before September 1, 2008, then that entire team is required to submit a packet. High schoolers are exempt from this rule, but can still submit packets for the discounts. Note that only 1st and 2nd year collegiate players and high schoolers are exempt from writing a packet! All rules regarding packet submission are pretty much consistent with ACF, so see http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packe ... p#required for more details. Please e-mail me (kentb426 @ gmail.com) if you have any questions. Packets should be submitted to Mehdi (padt@dolphin.upenn.edu) when completed. The following are applicable deadlines (by midnight EST on the given date) with all fees added/subtracted from overall registration fees:

Packet by December 5: -$50
Packet by December 19: -$25
Packet by January 3: +$0
Packet by January 10: +$25
Packet by January 17: +$50
At the discretion of the editors, any team that was required to submit a packet but does not do so by the final deadline will be dropped from the tournament, granted some daily fee to submit a late packet, or charged some exorbitant fee to play without submitting a packet. Again, not submitting a packet by January 17 runs a significant risk of being dropped from the tournament.

Registration fees and other discounts:
Base fee per team: $120
Functional buzzers: -$10 each
Competent moderators: -$15 each
Travel: -$15 per 200 miles (determined by Google Maps)

Minimum fee per school (including packet discounts): $40

Any high school teams or teams with fewer than 3 players can e-mail me about further discounts.

The tournament will most likely be held in Violette Hall but I will update this when the room reservations go through.

Field update:
This space is reserved for field updates.

You can post any general questions about any of the above in this thread or send them to kentb426 @ gmail.com. Posting general interest in this thread is encouraged, but official registrations should be made by e-mail (again, at kentb426 @ gmail.com) so I can have a contact for you. Otherwise that's all I have for now.

-Kent
Last edited by KentB on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KentB

Re: Penn Bowl Mirror at Truman State (1/30/10)

Post by KentB »

Just for clarification, teams attending this mirror are required to submit a packet unless they meet the new player exemption. I realize this is being held the same weekend as WUHSAC but hopefully we can still pull a good draw. I would love to see some of the newer programs in the state make it up for this. If anyone is worried about or needs lodging in Kirksville, let me know because I have plenty of room at my house.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

As noted on hsquizbowl, not only does this date conflict with WUHSAC, it also conflicts with Missouri State's tournament. I think it would absolutely be in your best interest to find another date given how small our circuit is.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Duly noted. Would 1/23 work better? I will get back to you on this when I hear back from Penn.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I have officially rescheduled this tournament to take place on Saturday, February 13, 2010. Hopefully this will allow more teams to make it to Kirksville!

socalcaptain

Re: Delayed Penn Bowl Mirror at Truman State (2/13/10)

Post by socalcaptain »

That, by the way, is the date of the Mort Walker Invitational (high school tournament) here at Mizzou. So you can count out Mizzou from attending this.