Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament 

Post Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament
From hsquizbowl.org
Quote:
This is an announcement for the Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament, which will be held at UIUC on March 14, 2008. Matt Weiner will be in charge of editing the tournament this year, so all packets should be sent to him.

Eligibility

You are eligible to play this tournament if you meet the ACF DII Guidelines. Specifically:

"Division II" player is a player who did not receive a BA or equivalent or higher degree prior to the academic year in which the tournament is taking place, has never played at ACF Nationals, and meets either or both of the following conditions:
1 The player graduated from high school in an academic year year two or fewer years prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place
2 The player did not participate in any collegiate or open academic quizbowl tournaments before the fall semester of the academic year one year prior to the year in which the tournament is taking place.

OR

NATIONALS CRITERION: If you have ever played at ACF Nationals, you are no longer Division II-eligible. Yes, this includes people who played ACF Nationals in high school.

DEGREE CRITERION: If you graduate (receive a BA or BS degree or equivalent) during the 2008-2009 academic year, or have not graduated by the time of the tournament, then you meet the degree criterion. If you received a BA or BS or equivalent in summer semester 2008 or earlier, you are not Division II-eligible. In other words: Division II eligibility is a subset of Undergraduate eligibility; you must be Undergraduate-eligible in order to be Division II-eligible.

TIME CRITERION: If you graduated from high school in 2007 or later, you meet the time criterion. If you didn't play any regular collegiate or open academic tournaments before fall 2007, then you meet the time criterion. You only have to meet one of those tests, not both--if you graduated from high school in 2003 but didn't start playing quizbowl until 2008, you are fine. Conversely, if you've been playing collegiate tournaments since you were 12 but you didn't actually graduate from high school until 2007, you're also fine.

Packet Submission
posting.php?mode=edit&f=8&p=114073
Every team attending the Illinois site of MCMNT is required to submit a packet to this tournament, regardless of team composition. Please follow all of the official ACF guidelines, which can be found here, if you disregard the information that pertains only to official ACF tournaments.

Please model your difficulty on last year's set, which may be found here.

Please submit your packets to Matt Weiner at mattweiner.vcu@gmail.com.

Schedule of Packet Discounts

January 31 -$30
February 14 +0
February 21 +$30
February 28 +$60
No packet submitted by February 28: You may not play this tournament, unless you receive a specific dispensation from Matt Weiner.

Mirroring this Tournament

We're interested in mirrors from every region except the Midwest, of course. Please e-mail me if you're interested in hosting a mirror as soon as possible. I'll list the confirmed mirrors right here:

Weekend of Quizbowl

This tournament will almost certainly be held in Gregory Hall. I'll periodically update this post with more information. Please e-mail the Tournament Director, me, at trygvemeade@gmail.com, if you have any questions or would like to register.

We're looking forward to seeing many of you in March!

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:20 pm

This is the new and revised MCMNT announcement just posted minutes ago:
Quote:
The University of Illinois Academic Buzzer Team is pleased to announce the 2009 Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament, to be held March 14, 2009 at Gregory Hall on the Urbana-Champaign campus of the University of Illinois. This tournament is held to honor the memory of Matthew Cvijanovich, a great player and teammate whose death on January 2, 2005 forever impoverished our team and game. We miss you, man.

This event is open to players in their first and second years of collegiate competition. Each team must consist of such players who all attend the same school. These are the only restrictions; in particular, there are no restrictions on the basis of year in school, age, presumed skill level, etc.

This event will be a mirror of the Minnesota Undergraduate Tournament, edited by a crew led by Andrew Hart. Questions have been predicted to be “…well-written and controlled-difficulty… for undergrads only” by no less a critic than Matt Weiner.

By the generosity of the Minnesota team, no packet submission is required, though I do encourage everyone to write for tournaments whenever possible. The tournament will cost a flat fee of $20 per player up to four on your team (so, for example, if you field a team of four or more, your base fee is $80, while if you must play solo, you pay only $20.) There is a $5 discount for working buzzer systems that I approve in advance, a $10 discount for competent staffers likewise approved in advance, and a $10 discount if your origin is over 200 miles distant one-way according to Google Maps, floored by a minimum fee of $10 per player up to four. We won’t turn anyone away due to money so, if paying these fees is going to be an issue for you, please let me know and we can work something out.

Each match will consist of 20 tossups with accompanying bonuses, divided into two un-timed halves. Ties will be broken by sudden-death overtime tossups. The tournament will consist of some form of round robin (which form exactly as dictated by the field size) followed by a playoff to decide the tournament champion. Once the field is finalized, a format will be announced and, if possible, schedules sent out in advance.

Getting to the tournament is extremely easy. Plentiful free parking is available at Lot E3, which is immediately southwest of Gregory Hall; all metered spots in Lot E3 are free on weekends. Google Maps directions to the entrance to Lot E3 are available here.

The tournament will begin with registration at 8:30 A.M. in Room 219 Greg Hall. Fees are due at registration unless you make other arrangements with me in advance. Registration will proceed until 8:50 A.M. at which time a brief rules meeting will be conducted. Play will commence at 9 A.M on the third floor of Greg Hall. If circumstance delays your arrival, I can be reached the morning of the tournament on my phone at +17087173147; if I haven’t heard from you and you aren’t there by 9, expect to be forfeited.

Play will proceed until a lunch break around noon and should wrap up around 5 P.M. with finals and awards. There are plentiful vending machines in the basement of Greg Hall for your inter-meal food and drink needs.

If you have any questions about eligibility, our questions, fees, rules and game play, getting to the tournament, eating, or anything else, or if you wish to register, please contact me by e-mail at msorice@illinois.edu immediately.

Hoping to hear from you soon,
Mike Sorice, msorice@illinois.edu
TD, Matt Cvijanovich Memorial Novice Tournament 2009

Mizzou is definitely going. Anyone else?

Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Doubtful... would have considered it had I been eligible to play.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:31 pm
Profile WWW

I was under the impression that I would be allowed to play this ....as I would at the Minnesota site.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:23 pm
Profile WWW

Well, that announcement is the most recent thing posted (in fact, today!) by the TD, so take it up with them.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:02 pm

Yeah, already posted in the hsqb thread. I hope this works out...or else my next and last undergrad tourney will be ACF Nats...unless there is a Buzzerfest mirror closer than ND.

Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm
Profile WWW

Well, the weekend before ACF Nationals Mizzou is hosting a Harvard International mirror you seemed interested in attending. Are you dropping?

Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:09 am

No, I forgot :-\ .... problem solved! I just really wanted to play MUT because I'm sure they will do a good job with editing.

Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:20 pm
Profile WWW