Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:52 am

Announcement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009) 

Post Announcement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)
Hello Quizbowlers,

I am pleased to be able to announce the first ever Missouri Open: Race 4 Ya Pink Slips to be held on Saturday June 6th, 2009. This packet submission event edited by Shantanu Jha, Auroni Gupta, and me (with some potential additions to that list in the future) will be held at the University of Missouri in Columbia, MO. Our distribution will be identical to the ACF distribution, which is

5/5 Literature
5/5 History
5/5 Science
3/3 Religion, Mythology, and Philosophy
3/3 Fine Arts
1/1 Social Science
1/1 Geography
1/1 Trash, Current Events, and “Other”

A more detailed breakdown by subjects can be found here - http://acf-quizbowl.com/documents/packetsub.php#distribution. The tournament will be aiming for that nebulous “between regionals and nationals” difficulty, akin to events like the Illinois Opens, Minnesota Open, VCU Open, or Chicago Open 2007. If you are unsure of how hard to write your packet, consult those events.

Our fees will be as follows:
Base fee per team is $120.
Any packet turned in by January 31st will let your team play for free and I will buy your team a pizza at Shakespeare's.
A $100 discount will be offered for any packets sent by February 28th.
A $50 discount for packets sent by April 4th.
A $25 discount for packets sent by April 18th.
$0 discount for packets sent by May 2nd.
$25 added for packets sent by May 9th.
$50 added for packets sent by May 16th.
And a $5 discount for each buzzer system your team brings.

For packets sent after that, we will come up with some kind of extra fees on a case by case basis, with your team running the risk of not being allowed to play. Any packet that is found to have plagiarism will be returned to the sender to be rewritten if they want to play in the tournament, and will be charged an extra $200. Every team playing must submit a packet. However, if you are not playing but just like writing questions, we would be more than happy to take freelance work, and may offer future discounts in exchange.

Because this is an open tournament, we are interested in running one or two side-events during the weekend. There is a literature singles in the works, and if anyone else is interested in writing some event, please let us know. Another event of note around the date of this tournament is the MSHSAA Academic Competition Advisory Committee meeting, which some people in the past have discussed dropping in on, so what better opportunity! In any case, hopefully there will be multiple events to keep people occupied for the weekend and make the trip worth it.

As a sidenote, we are willing to have this set mirrored pretty much anywhere on the east and west coasts. If your school fits that definition and is interested in mirroring, please contact us.

All emails about this tournament, be it about packet submission, mirroring, or just asking questions, should be sent to charlie16@gmail.com. I hope you can make it out to Columbia this June.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:18 am

Post Announcement: Missouri Open (06/06/2009)
I am definitely interested in playing, especially if I can hitch a ride from someone coming from the southwest (I'm just north of Lincoln less than a mile off Highway 65 about 90 miles southwest of Columbia). Whether I play or not, I plan to submit a packet before the first deadline of January 31.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:00 pm