Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm

CBI suspended 

Post CBI suspended
Cross posted from hsquizbowl, for those that don't read it:

COLLEGE BOWL CAMPUS PROGRAM SUSPENDED
Los Angeles, Calif. (June 3, 2008)—After 31 years of collaboration with the Association of College Unions International (ACUI), the College Bowl Company is suspending the College Bowl campus program, effective immediately. College Bowl will no longer produce question packets for campus, regional, and national competitions.
While the program experienced periods of growth throughout its history, costs to maintain the program have increased. Although changes were made to offset the increasing expenses and avoid raising the price for campus participation, the program can no longer sustain itself.
“Its history and longevity are a testimony to the positive influence College Bowl has had on students and the campus community. College Bowl is proud of having established and popularized academic competition,” College Bowl Company president Richard Reid said. “In its current form College Bowl is no longer effective, but the future holds bright promise.”
ACUI executive director Marsha Herman-Betzen said, “While I am sad to see this important program come to an end, I certainly understand the realities and economics of producing a program like College Bowl. And while this will leave an initial programmatic gap for our regions, I believe this change provides an opportunity to try new ideas.”
The Honda Campus All-Star Challenge celebrates its 20th anniversary March 26-30, 2009 in Orlando, Fla. and continues to be an invaluable part of the Historically Black College and University community. ACUI will continue to play a major role in that program as an educational partner.
Schools that have already placed orders for the 2008-2009 season will receive a full refund in the original form of payment. Questions should be directed to Frank Gencur at 818-610-8225 x111 or via e-mail at frank@collegebowl.com.

---

Original Email text:

From: ACUI Lead [mailto:ACUI_LEAD@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU] On Behalf Of Smith, Michelle Jones
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2008 2:14 PM
To: ACUI_LEAD@LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
Subject: [ACUI_LEAD] College Bowl news

Fellow ACUI Leadership Team members,

We have some unfortunate news to share; effective immediately, the College Bowl Company has decided to suspend the College Bowl program indefinitely.

As the attached press release states, it’s been difficult to sustain the program in recent years, and ultimately the time had come for the College Bowl Company to make this tough decision. However, it is reassuring to know that the Honda Campus All-Star Challenge retains its financial support, and that competition will continue to be offered annually for students from historically black colleges and universities. We’re also exploring whether it would make sense to continue College Bowl as part of the annual conference’s Battle of the Regions competition.

ACUI has valued its educational partnership with College Bowl for decades, so we do not want to rush into anything by immediately selecting another academic competition program with which to partner. During the July Leadership Team Meeting, we will be beginning the discussion about “what next?” and how to best provide a fun, team-building, educational program for college students. This will be on the Board of Trustees’ Strategic Direction agenda, and Gail Ferlazzo, ACUI’s College Bowl Program Team leader, will be attending to participate in this discussion. It will also be part of the Association’s needs assessment later this year.

Whether ACUI chooses to utilize another College Bowl-like program or not, Gail plans to continue to be involved as an ACUI volunteer. She and I have called all of the regional College Bowl coordinators individually and have urged them to do the same. Perhaps you have open positions on your Regional Leadership Team that these individuals would be likely candidates to fill. I’d also be happy to talk with them about volunteers needed at the international level for other ACUI programs and leadership positions.

Thanks so much for your efforts on behalf of College Bowl and ACUI and for your understanding about this difficult decision.

Michelle Smith
ACUI Director of Educational Programs and Services

Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:14 pm
Profile WWW

Post CBI suspended
Well can't say as that I'm shocked. These people had every opportunity to make their product better and to be more responsive to their client base and they consistently acted like legitimate criticisms were personal affronts. Let this be a lesson to any successive company that acts likewise and may CBI stay dead.

On the plus side, a lot of the good things we have about the circuit now are a direct result of disgust with CBI (pyramidal q's, standard bonus values, logical prelim brackets). So in the long run, its existence was probably a good thing even though it stuck around too long and ran itself into irrelevance.

Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Post CBI suspended
So ACUI has sent out this survey as a sort of "where do we go from here":

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GTKP...LsgiULqMQ_3d_3d

Hmmm, I have an idea, how about you butt out and let us manage our own affairs as we've been doing quite well? By the way, it's really hilarious when they ask if they should get involved in speech and debate. Because you know, collegiate speech and debate is really sitting around asking themselves "When is ACUI going to pay attention to us???" It's not like they don't already have their own communications departments and full-time professors running their programs, no no, they need ACUI. Do you hear yourself ACUI? I might kill you tonight.

Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:13 am

Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post CBI suspended
scphilli wrote:
So ACUI has sent out this survey as a sort of "where do we go from here":

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=GTKP...LsgiULqMQ_3d_3d

Hmmm, I have an idea, how about you butt out and let us manage our own affairs as we've been doing quite well? By the way, it's really hilarious when they ask if they should get involved in speech and debate. Because you know, collegiate speech and debate is really sitting around asking themselves "When is ACUI going to pay attention to us???" It's not like they don't already have their own communications departments and full-time professors running their programs, no no, they need ACUI. Do you hear yourself ACUI? I might kill you tonight.

Be careful, my mom's cousin works for them. :P

But yes, if the forensics coaches got wind of this, they will scream. I can see the ghosts of Kirk Memorial haunting the second floor of the SUB, just as the ghosts of Laughlin Hall and the transmitter site now haunt the organizational activities center on the first floor.

Sat Jun 28, 2008 1:38 pm

Post CBI suspended
So yeah this is what I got from Gail today:

Many thanks to those of you who have already completed the College Bowl volunteer survey or forwarded the link on to other volunteers. So far, we've received 119 responses. The opinions are quite varied and there have been lots of comments written beyond just checking the boxes, which is especially helpful - it has been fascinating to browse.

It's evident that some of the replies have come from players rather than personnel who have helped as volunteers in running tournaments. In hindsight, I should have been more specific in my invitation to forward the link on to others. While it's fine for players to reply, it's important to note that the survey was written seeking the perspective of tournament volunteers as we want to assess whether we will have the organizational support available to pursue any form of new venture, if one is pursued. Sometimes I’m not sure that the players always understand all that occurs behind the scenes to build success for a program like this. There may be a future survey that is geared specifically toward players to make sure that we're considering something that will be attractive for college students to participate in.

If you haven't had a chance to complete survey yet - it's not too late! Follow the link below. The survey will close at the end of the day Monday, July 7 so that ACUI Leadership will have an opportunity to review feedback during their meetings in Bloomington July 9-12.

Gail

----

Nice to know ACUI was as condescending as CBI.

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:42 pm