Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

CBI anyone?

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
Charlie Dees

CBI anyone?

Post by Charlie Dees »

I've heard that at least one team (Truman State) is skipping it this year, and hopefully forever, and I know Rolla didn't go last year, so I'm curious who is actually going, if anyone?

East Buc & UMR

CBI anyone?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Did Truman get rid of it all together. It was run by the school not the Quiz Bowl team.

Charlie Dees

CBI anyone?

Post by Charlie Dees »

I can't answer your question fully other then that on the other board Kent wrote "For the first time in god knows how long, we are not wasting our time with this."

DeckardCain

CBI anyone?

Post by DeckardCain »

We aren't going, either.

KentB

CBI anyone?

Post by KentB »

Sujit got behind on putting together the intramural tournament so nobody from Truman will be going even though I know some of the younger players and Ali wanted to go. Oh well. I just hope that the money that would have been spent on this tournament gets used for something that benefits us but I doubt that will happen with all the SUB remodeling projects. If we could just take the $1500 they spend on those stupid questions every year, we would be made and could actually go to ACF Nats and stuff like that.

mujason

CBI anyone?

Post by mujason »

I graduated in December so I'm not playing. According to the rosters on the website, Mizzou's team includes Josh Chittum, John Behrer (he's the captain but I don't know who he is), Laura Herring (I don't know her), and Corey Schneider (I think he was an all-stater for Ray-Pec a few years ago). Wash U's roster looks awesome, though. They have Gordon Arsenoff as captain (I think he starred for Rochester), J. Brantley (back in the country), Neel Kotra (didn't he go to Thomas Jefferson Virginia?), and Laura Soderberg (I don't know her).

KentB

CBI anyone?

Post by KentB »

WashU should win nationals and if they don't, they will at least be top 4.

Andrew and Gordon playing together is pretty insane.

johnboy81918

CBI anyone?

Post by johnboy81918 »

mujason wrote: Wash U's roster looks awesome, though. They have Gordon Arsenoff as captain (I think he starred for Rochester), J. Brantley (back in the country), Neel Kotra (didn't he go to Thomas Jefferson Virginia?), and Laura Soderberg (I don't know her).
Should be an interesting combo of players, to say the least...
And yes, Neel went to TJ

Kent, your observation may prove to be right on the money.

scphilli

CBI anyone?

Post by scphilli »

KentB wrote: WashU should win nationals and if they don't, they will at least be top 4.

Andrew and Gordon playing together is pretty insane.
This has been my fervent hope, not because I think it'd be awesome, but because I think we could use it to bludgeon SU for money for years.

Kenshiro

CBI anyone?

Post by Kenshiro »

This year's field is essentially last year's field minus Truman State. As has been noted, team rosters have shuffled around somewhat, but other than that it's eight teams instead of nine.

I'm looking forward to it, assuming the Ozarks skies don't dump 8 feet of ice and snow on our roads and prevent us from going. Should be a pretty fun tournament.

scphilli

CBI anyone?

Post by scphilli »

Region 11 results:

1. WUSTL
2. Kansas State
3. Kansas
4. Mizzou

WUSTL beat K State in the final 515-110. They ran the table in the prelims for a 9-0 record.

Kenshiro

CBI anyone?

Post by Kenshiro »

Looks like it went down about how I thought it would. We opted not to go because the roads around our area and the routes we'd drawn out were still sucky as of 6 that morning.

I'll be interested in looking at the full report to see how the other teams fared and who went. I was really hoping we wouldn't be the only team to bail due to weather, since our teams have kind of a notorious reputation (2 years ago, our team left the CBI regional after day 1--all last year, I kept having people ask me if we planned to stick around this time x_X) and I know that teams failing to show up can really screw up a tourney. Still, it wasn't a decision made lightly.

scphilli

CBI anyone?

Post by scphilli »

Kenshiro wrote: Looks like it went down about how I thought it would. We opted not to go because the roads around our area and the routes we'd drawn out were still sucky as of 6 that morning.

I'll be interested in looking at the full report to see how the other teams fared and who went. I was really hoping we wouldn't be the only team to bail due to weather, since our teams have kind of a notorious reputation (2 years ago, our team left the CBI regional after day 1--all last year, I kept having people ask me if we planned to stick around this time x_X) and I know that teams failing to show up can really screw up a tourney. Still, it wasn't a decision made lightly.
We all understand and agree it's a legitimate reason. Believe me, there were a couple times I was looking at weather reports in KC and wondering if we were doing the right thing.

As far as I know the other teams that went were Fort Hays, Missouri Central, and Pitt State.

Kenshiro

CBI anyone?

Post by Kenshiro »

Awesome. I'm glad all the teams that went made it safely. I'll be looking forward to Nationals coverage--it sounds like WashU has a solid team going in.