Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

CBI Region 11

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

Now that all the NAQT excitement is over (at least for Truman), I figured a new thread was in order specifically for the next big tourney.

I don't really have anything to say at the moment but for anyone that does, have at it.

jonpin

CBI Region 11

Post by jonpin »

Is there some reason Rolla doesn't have a roster online and isn't even listed under "Enrolled schools"? Is CBI just being a little slow on the uptake?

BTW, assuming they are there, I put even money on Rolla being the first team we play. I think that's held true all three years I've been here.

libertymark

CBI Region 11

Post by libertymark »

jonpin wrote: IBTW, assuming they are there, I put even money on Rolla being the first team we play. I think that's held true all three years I've been here.
i will take that bet, how high are we going?

jonpin

CBI Region 11

Post by jonpin »

So it looks like it's a 9-team field.

Fort Hays: Will they win a game at the buzzers this year?
K-State: Will buzzer speed again be the cause of all their woes?
Missouri State: Will they show up on Saturday?
Pitt State: Mostly the same team, can they improve on last year's mark?
Truman State: Can they claim a third title in four years?
Central Missouri: Brand new name, brand new result?
Kansas: Can I think of an inane question for each team? [The answer here is no.]
Missouri: The return of Mueller... is this the year he breaks through?
Wash U: Without Andrew, can they repeat as regional champs?

Notable absences: SW OK State (4th place last year) and Rolla (5th place).
Likely playoff field: Truman, Wash U, Missouri, K-State. I would be surprised if it was any one outside of those four. After that, who knows?

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

72 hours to go until the start and I'll agree on Jon's playoff picks. Of course, we all know who I'm rooting for to actually win the whole thing.

East Buc & UMR

CBI Region 11

Post by East Buc & UMR »

of the 5 years I played we played Wash U first 4 times. My freshman year we played them last

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

Why isn´t Rolla coming to this ? .. just curious.
and I can´t disagree with the predictions

kyle was having a negging issue at practice though

:P

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB wrote: Why isn´t Rolla coming to this ? .. just curious.
I'll be out of the state, a couple other guys had separate conflicts, and there wasn't enough interest out of the rest of the team to justify going. After the debacle that was last year I'm not altogether disappointed I won't be there.

I'll only predict that a Missouri team will win. Good luck to everyone going.

scphilli

CBI Region 11

Post by scphilli »

Since all the intermurals are over for CBI, here is a blatant example of question recycling from this year's set (one of two that I caught):

CBI 2006-07 OCT P11 TU02: A sitting one is vulnerable, a dead one is a
goner, while a lame one can't run for re-election. For 10 points, what
word completes these three phrases?

This link takes you to the final of the 1994 Steppin' Fetchit Classic (AKA Honda):
http://www.zebra.net/~tfm/honda.html#M794

which has quote: "t#16 began, "A sitting one is vulnerable, a
dead one [buzz] is a goner," and M-Tory answered _duck_. "

Glad to know all that money we pay them is for hard work, not cutting and pasting.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Really prelim stats from Mizzou's Friday night matches:
Mizzou 500, Kansas State 110
I went 14-0 for 140 points.
Mizzou 365, Pitt State 90
I went 12-2 for 110 points.
Mizzou 410, kansas 125
I went 13-3 for 115 points.
Overall, Mizzou is 3-0, with 425 PPG, 17.9577 PPT, and I'm averaging 121.67 PPG.

Charlie Dees

CBI Region 11

Post by Charlie Dees »

For sh*ts and giggles, what are your "legendary" teammate's scores?

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Here are the teammates' scores:
Justin: 30, 0, 20 for a 16.67 average.
Josh: 10, 15, -5 for a 6.67 average.
Andy: 0, 0, 5 for a 1.67 average.
(Our fifth has bronchitis and wasn't at the tourney tonight.)

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

I saw in the first game Jusin Myers did pretty well.

We are 3-0 but I didn´t keep stats. We won convincingly in all three matches though.

I had 6-0, 5-1 and 1-1 ..... so 12-2 overall. I think that Kyle is 13-3 or something like that. Nathan, Paul, and Will have all made contributions as well.

It´ll be a fun day tomorrow though.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

WE WON!!!

(Also, I averaged 100 PPG in the round robin, but going to Nats is the ultimate goal.)

jonpin

CBI Region 11

Post by jonpin »

Round Robin Results

Code: Select all

Missouri. 7-1 1-0
Truman St 7-1 0-1
Kansas St 6-2 1-0
WUSTL.... 6-2 0-1
Miss. St. 3-5
Fort Hays 2-6 1-1 8.39
U Cent MO 2-6 1-1 6.16
Kansas... 2-6 1-1 5.82
Pitt St.. 1-7
Playoff Results
1st Round: WUSTL 375, Missouri 305
1st Round: Truman St 465, Kansas St 125
Winners: Truman St 350, WUSTL 95
Losers: Missouri 365, Kansas St 210 (Kansas St 4th)
Crossover: Missouri 435, WUSTL 160 (WUSTL 3rd)
Final 1: Missouri 315, Truman St 310
Final 2: Missouri 310, Truman St 255 (Missouri wins)

The finals were a great pair of matches, and a kind of symmetry to Truman's 245-215, 210-200 win over Mizzou three years ago. Game one was tied with a minute left. Chittum (UM) negged, but Truman couldn't pick it up. The next tossup went to Mueller, and time ran out before any progress was made on the bonus. Game two went back and forth the whole second half, but a neg by Strauss (TSU) with 1:10 or so left, already down by ten, left them a big hole. Myers (UM) got the next tossup to put it away. All told, Mueller went 18/1 over the two-game final. As this may very well have been the last collegiate tournament I play (and is almost certainly the last I play as an undergrad), it was kinda sad to go out with a blowout loss, but it was overall a good experience. Good luck to Truman in hopefully getting the wild card, and good luck to Mizzou in LA.

jonpin

CBI Region 11

Post by jonpin »

The zip links aren't working yet, but here's the page that will have the RCT results from other regions: http://www.collegebowl.com/rct/2007results.asp . Other teams going to nationals are Williams College, Seton Hall [didn't make playoffs of combined field], UMBC, Southern Virginia, Ohio State, Illinois, Northwestern, Baylor, New Mexico, U-Washington [we shall kill them and steal their identities] and Southern Cal [home team gets to play].

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

We blew it ... we should have had that first game but we choked .. negged ... all the things that would be required to lose by 5. I did absolutely horribly in the playoffs and quite possibly had more negs than correct answers. I'm glad that it was Paul and Kyle that stepped it up to keep us in it since it is their last year of play but I do wish they would have gotten to go for one more hurrah.

Congrats to WashU and especially to Jon and Ryan (and Matt, I think) for their years of play and question writing/tournament hosting. Hopefully we'll see you guys down the road somewhere.

And congrats to Mizzou.... I say this with obvious chagrin after Jason's victory song after winning ..... but then I have to realize that Kyle would have done the same thing if he would have won.... and the rest of the team were gracious in winning.

I really dislike CBI but I enjoyed this tournament because I really enjoy Columbia and eating at the Heidelberg and Shakespeare's Pizza and it was relaxing in a way... seeing as this is midterm week and I am royally fu**ed in at least three of my classes (partially for going to the tournament).

Ummm yeah, that's about all. I won't say that it was a total disappointment but we definitely beat ourselves or at least I beat myself in the championship games with all the negs and bad buzzes.

At least Jason got his thrill though ... or revenge ? Is that a better term? I wasn't around for the tourney a couple of years ago.

I still have two more to go of undergrad and that will be it for me... assuming I even play because of my strong dislike for the CBI questions.

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

KentB wrote: Jason's victory song after winning
You've got to be kidding me.

DrRyan2011

CBI Region 11

Post by DrRyan2011 »

This is not a tradition of mine, but I will post my thoughts on this tournament. There were some hangups in the way the tournament ran (repeated questions, lack of clocks that actually told you how much time was remaining) but generally it went well given the fact that the intended tournament director was not there.

Overall, I enjoyed myself. The CBI tournament is always fun because most people are there to have a good time and maintain a good attitude. I noticed an overall improvement in the quality of players this year, and every team won a game this year. Kansas State played very well and they're always nice guys (and girl). Truman State was especially sharp and I think that success will carry over to future years (and to nationals, should that wildcard fall on Region 11). Major congrats go to Jason from Mizzou, despite a slight ethical concern in the finals.

As far as I can tell, Jason's 100 ppg is second in region history only to Lloyd Brantley (an uncle of Andrew Brantley, I believe) who averaged 104.3 ppg in 1979.

It's been a fun ride and good luck to everyone in the future.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

Looking back on my post, it seems kinda douche-ish. That really was a good performance put on by Jason and I am not trying to belittle it at all. It was to be expected that he would put up those kinds of numbers.

Hopefully we´ll see Rolla back next year and hopefully it is somewhere in MO again. I was kind of hoping to have it here one of these years but that would be up to the deciders (the ACUI people).

oh, and before I forget, Josh Chittum is a BAMF..... had to throw that in.

and that is quite impressive for Lloyd Brantley

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Come on, a couple bars of "California, here I come" is appropriate considering that USC is the host. Heck, if we had won three years ago, I'd have broken out into "Sweet Home Alabama" (as Auburn-Montgomery was hosting that year).

Also, Baylor won again? Was Jason Loy sick or did he fall prey to the crappy questions again?

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

One more thing: Kent, it's okay to vent after a loss. Also, my numbers weren't that expected: 75 (my previous CBI high average) to 100 is quite a leap. I just hope Andrew and Lloyd Brantley aren't related to Jeff Brantley; he blew a lot of saves for the 1998 St. Louis Cardinals.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

I was wondering what was going on as Harding got fourth.... either Baylor is really good or Jason Loy was sick.

Baylor is returning most of the players from their team that went to nationals last year so that might explain that.

scphilli

CBI Region 11

Post by scphilli »

Well Jeff Brantley is from Alabama, which I think I recall Andrew saying his family lived there pre-Texas.

Glad to see someone else enjoyed the Old Heidelberg...even if my parents & I had to ford a river to get to it on Saturday. Columbia is always a place I hold dear, if only because I basically grew up there, and because Flatbranch's has cheap growlers.

As for the tournament itself, everyone knows how I feel so repeating it is probably not in anyone's interest. One note to Jason: watch your language at nationals. They will eject you for swearing.

Awehrman

CBI Region 11

Post by Awehrman »

Baylor is a very solid team. They have a dedicated coach in classics professor Dr. Brent Frohberg. He and I have talked quite a bit about how achieve success in this format. Midwestern State tends to have a lot of non-traditional (read really old) players. Their captain Ronald is a very good player and has been in the top five of RCT scoring the past several years. LSU has also been a very good team. Let's not forget that St. Louis area high school hero Chris Ottolino was playing for Rice who failed to make the top four. Arkansas fielded a decent team as well and also didn't make the top four. Region 12 has been the largest and arguably the toughest field for a long time. I'm not really that surprised that Harding didn't make it. Jason Loy struck me a a solid player, but not even as good as Jason Mueller, and I don't think he (Loy) has improved all that much since high school. I'm still not sure why he picked Harding over Arkansas in the first place. I'm surprised that he is doing as well as he is in that environment. My current school Northwestern won their region for the third straight time. They had not been to nationals since before 1979 prior to the current streak (the region is usually dominated by Chicago and Wisconsin). I did not go to the regional but helped them practice for it. I would not expect them to be much of threat this year. This is a completely new team from last year led by freshmen and sophomores.

i_need_a_pillow

CBI Region 11

Post by i_need_a_pillow »

Thanks for the support, guys. It was quite a tournament (and a far cry indeed from the MSHSAA stuff I've been used to for so long), and the playoffs were every bit as intense as I'd expected them to be. All the teams performed very well (even the ones that didn't advance). Thanks for the great competition, and good luck to Truman on getting the wild card spot.

jonpin

CBI Region 11

Post by jonpin »

mujason wrote: Come on, a couple bars of "California, here I come" is appropriate considering that USC is the host.  Heck, if we had won three years ago, I'd have broken out into "Sweet Home Alabama" (as Auburn-Montgomery was hosting that year).
No. No, it isn't, at least not immediately. You know what the first thing (or at worst the second thing) that should be said when you finish a match that was decided on the last tossup, or really ANY match no matter how big the margin was, is?

"Good game."

Or something analogous to the above. Something that lets the opponent know you're not just in it for your own glory, but for honest competition and perhaps a side of sportsmanship.

You know what else helps? Admitting when you've heard a question before, especially when someone directly asks if you've heard that question the day before. Or not asking whether you can kick someone off the team between regionals and nationals before you've actually qualified for nationals. Or not interrupting a match to advertise your individual infinite awesomeness in a TEAM GAME.

But I digress. The finals were indeed two great games, and your opponents deserve slightly more respect than a clearly pre-meditated victory song.

Also, and this is admittedly nitpicking just because I feel like it, but saying "here I come" just seems to illustrate your belief that it's all about you. It's a team game, and your teammates (except for the player who you seemed so desperate to remove from your team) are also going to California.

Class. Learn it. Love it. They might not like it if you throw chairs at NCT.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Jon, it's okay to vent about a loss, but save the toxic waste for when you're back in New Jersey. What's wrong with being happy about a win, especially when it's for a regional championship in the only format with time limits on eligibility? Would you rather I have chosen another song, such as Song List? As for singing, it was not pre-meditated, I'm just a quick thinker. Quick thinking tends to come in handy when playing CBI or any other format of quiz bowl.
As for my roster management, I was discussing replacing a fifth who didn't come to practice and missed RCT due to bronchitis with a player with RCT experience, who did well in the campus tournament, who wants to go to nationals, and had to miss RCT due to a scheduling conflict with a singing competition. As for discussing it before winning, well, worst case scenario, we would still have been eligible for the wild card.
Also, I did admit to hearing the question before (and it should be noted that Truman State was watching our match at that time and that it's the administration's fault for putting in what should have been marked as a read tossup).
Also, WE are going to California where WE have a shot at the title. I'm not saying we're going to win, and I'm not saying we're the favorites, but one cannot count out my crew and I.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

CBI Region 11

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

(Holy crap; *L-Town Expatriate logged in!)

Well, I'm not too bummed about losing, seeing as I quasi-retired from the sport six months ago. Best of luck to everyone at nationals, and may tact prevail. Jason, just remember you're the face of the Show-Me State down there in the land of (to use gross stereotypes) valley girls, gauchos, gas guzzlers and tree hugglers. Don't make us look any more idiotic than what fellow Mizzou grads Duke Cunningham, Ms. Anthrax, and Matt Bartle have done.

And to add to the hypocrisy present, I must reference my lyrical retort, which was probably as off-key as the Phantom Planet lyric Jason referenced.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Actually, I was going for old-school Al Jolson, not Phantom Planet (although their main guy is also named Jason).

scphilli

CBI Region 11

Post by scphilli »

You wanted to wear blackface?

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

I was singing like the Al Jolson version, not dressing up like he occasionally did for performances. At least I wasn't wearing beads.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

Wearing beads at Mardi Gras time usually means that you have seen some [keep it clean].... something tells me that you won't have the privilege of wearing beads for quite a while.

scphilli

CBI Region 11

Post by scphilli »

KentB wrote: Wearing beads at Mardi Gras time usually means that you have seen some [keep it clean].... something tells me that you won't have the privilege of wearing beads for quite a while.
The word Kent is looking for here is mammaries.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

damnit, i don´t like being censored .... oh well ... the children may not approve... but this is a college forum

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

CBI Region 11

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

KentB wrote: the children may not approve... but this is a college forum
Yes you're probably aware of this and you're just complaining but if not:
[quote="James in the "New Board" thread"]Since so many members here have moved on to college play, at the request of a few people I've added a new board specifically for the discussion of college play. High schoolers are of course welcome to post here as well, and the same rules apply. Thank you for your continued support of this community![/quote]

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

On a constructive note:
Since we here at Mizzou will need some practice for Nationals in LA and would like some skilled competition, and since the Trumanites and Rollaites are one spot and three spots away from ICT respectively and will also need some practice against skilled competition, how about meeting in Columbia for a practice some weekend before nationals? Each player can write a packet (as writing is good preparation for competition too) and the non-writers will, of course, play. It's a win-win situation!

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

The next forum we should add is one for 18-and-over.

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

mujason wrote: On a constructive note:
Since we here at Mizzou will need some practice for Nationals in LA and would like some skilled competition, and since the Trumanites and Rollaites are one spot and three spots away from ICT respectively and will also need some practice against skilled competition, how about meeting in Columbia for a practice some weekend before nationals? Each player can write a packet (as writing is good preparation for competition too) and the non-writers will, of course, play. It's a win-win situation!
This sounds like a pretty good idea, actually. I'll have to see what weekends are open.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

That would be a good idea .... except that I can´t afford to spend any more time on quiz bowl this year. I am going to have to work my ass off to get my grades back up to where I would like them because of the past few weekends of being gone so taking any more time now is probably not a good idea ... for me at least.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Well, it would obviously have to be before ICT, which is the weekend of April 14. Mizzou's spring break would rule out the weekends of March 24 and 31. Also, it might take a while for players to write their packets (with their likely busy schedules and class work). So I would suggest having the practice on Saturday, April 7, unless Truman and/or Rolla have a scheduling conflict.

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Also, in terms of logistics, if each team had 4 people, there could be 12 matches of 11 people if everyone wrote a 20/20. (Anybody have a 11-person buzzer?) Or if people are pressed for writing time (like Kent), we could have each person write a 10/10 and have 6 matches with 10 people playing (which would fit on a Judge).

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

April 7 is K-State, I believe, but I'm not sure if we're making the trip there this year. I'll have to see.

STPickrell

CBI Region 11

Post by STPickrell »

Easter is on the 8th April this year.

You could probably ask the editors of some tournament that's already been held this year for the packets -- they'd probably sell you the packets for $20-$40 (I'm assuming no one is wanting to make a profit here, so a sale would be for The Quizbowl Community's Good.)

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

Well, the reason I was thinking of having the players write their own packets and playing guerilla-style was that question writing is the best practice other than actually playing. Also, if teams don't want to drive to play, we can always use the chatroom.

DeckardCain

CBI Region 11

Post by DeckardCain »

I guess we could use something from the Stanford archive, assuming none of us has read it. I know I'm personally burned out on question writing after putting together the spring HS tournament, and I'd imagine the rest of our team feels the same way.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

CBI Region 11

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Yes after 2 UMR tournaments and CCOMBB I'm done for a month or two, then after that anything I do for the next while will be exclusively for CCOMBB.

KentB

CBI Region 11

Post by KentB »

agreed ... question writing at this time ... no thanks ... i've had my fill of it

libertymark

CBI Region 11

Post by libertymark »

same here even though i still have 7 tossups to do

mujason

CBI Region 11

Post by mujason »

So now that the field is set (Purdue in Region 9 due to Illinois' declining their bid and Providence from Region 1 winning the wildcard), I punched in the regional numbers in my secret formula to come up with a prediction:
1. Williams
2. Minnesota
3. Baylor
4. Ohio State
5. USC
6. Mizzou
7. Southern Virginia
8. Washington
9. St. Bonaventure
10. Florida
11. New Mexico
12. Maryland-Baltimore County
13. Providence
14. Purdue
15. Seton Hall
16. Northwestern

Of course, anything can happen with CBI questions. Also, I'm hoping we finish five spots higher than the formula predicts.