Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Upcoming College Tournaments

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KentB

Post by KentB »

DeckardCain wrote:
KentB wrote: comparing your scores now to some of the scores those guys put up in high school (brendan, chris, etc.), I would say you would do quite well at a college tourney
I'd imagine so. NAQT HSNCT is actually harder than D-2 sectionals.
which is another reason why MO teams HAVE to be allowed to go to national tournaments and get exposure to national championship caliber teams in order to get to the kind of level that you see these guys at

ok well that isn´t totally necessary if you are a genius and just study for quiz bowl all the time but I really don´t have that kind of time ... which would explain why I haven´t really gotten much better in the past couple of years

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

QUOTE (KentB @ Feb 12 2007, 11:17 AM)
comparing your scores now to some of the scores those guys put up in high school (brendan, chris, etc.), I would say you would do quite well at a college tourney 

I'd imagine so. NAQT HSNCT is actually harder than D-2 sectionals.
Starting this year. HSNCT was one or two rungs below D2 SCT.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

In case anyone is interested, I've temporarily uploaded the South SCT results to my web space until OSU gets it posted.

Those stats show Mark getting a neg in the OU B game... I don't remember that

PPTH:
OU B: 12.48
OU C: 12.45
UMR: 12.38

PPBonus:
OU B: 14.96
OU C: 15.32
UMR: 13.44

Best PPB overall: UT-Austin D1 (17.64)
Best D2 PPB: OU C (15.32)
Tulsa B took 3rd best D2 from us at 13.45

Bonus conversion was just plain crap

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

We actually had more powers than OU B... surprising.

The stats for our first game have Mark getting my points.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ouch... well that means you have a better average. 60.9 makes you top scorer of both divisions. You've been cheated

I didn't think Mark got more than one power. I thought the 9 total was a little high.

Can you look at your notebook and see if Mark actually got a neg in the OU B game? I don't remember it and I don't have a note of it

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

According to my records we were actually 0-6-2 in that game.

edit: And I got 3 tossups that game, not 2

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote: According to my records we were actually 0-6-2 in that game.

edit: And I got 3 tossups that game, not 2
I only have you getting 8 and 22, Mark got 15, I got 2, 5, 23

And of course, one of OU B's powers was a certain geography question in the game we played against them.

Where's the question that starts "This city claims to be The Middle of Everywhere, but is really in the middle of nowhere..."

How did the history major do at scoring the OU C game? X5+X5+X5 (where X is any combination of digits) ends in a 0 doesn't it?

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

ScoBo1987 wrote: How did the history major do at scoring the OU C game? X5+X5+X5 (where X is any combination of digits) ends in a 0 doesn't it?
No... 5 and 5 and 5 is 15.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

jonpin wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote: How did the history major do at scoring the OU C game?  X5+X5+X5 (where X is any combination of digits) ends in a 0 doesn't it?
No... 5 and 5 and 5 is 15.
Yeah I know. This had to be explained to a certain scorekeeper last year

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

wow people suck at taking stats. i never negged on and i only had one power plus 8 or something tossups.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

Let's hear it for the University of British Columbia, the winner of the Pacific Northwest Sectional.

http://ca.geocities.com/mathboy1986/NAQ ... dings.html

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

libertymark wrote: wow people suck at taking stats. i never negged on and i only had one power plus 8 or something tossups.
Eh, it happens. I remember a TRASH tournament where Sean noticed two days afterward I had entered someone into SQBS with 0/5 in a game instead of 5/0, because that team had a ridiculous bonus conversion (what with 75 more bonus points on 5 fewer boni).
Sean is also always impressed by inaccuracies in CBI stats, where they announce your name before you can answer.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

"This city claims to be The Middle of Everywhere, but is really in the middle of nowhere..."

Rolla!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111one

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

jonpin wrote:
libertymark wrote: wow people suck at taking stats.  i never negged on and i only had one power plus 8 or something tossups.
Eh, it happens. I remember a TRASH tournament where Sean noticed two days afterward I had entered someone into SQBS with 0/5 in a game instead of 5/0, because that team had a ridiculous bonus conversion (what with 75 more bonus points on 5 fewer boni).
Sean is also always impressed by inaccuracies in CBI stats, where they announce your name before you can answer.
I'm not so much impressed as appalled because it means you are either, deaf, illiterate or functionally retarded to screw up CBI stats. It's really not that hard y'all.

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

scphilli wrote:
jonpin wrote:
libertymark wrote: wow people suck at taking stats.  i never negged on and i only had one power plus 8 or something tossups.
I'm not so much impressed as appalled because it means you are either, deaf, illiterate or functionally retarded to screw up CBI stats. It's really not that hard y'all.
"Impressed" was used in a sarcastic sense. And any of those things or a typo by the guy typing in the stats could result in an error.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

jonpin wrote:
scphilli wrote:
jonpin wrote:
"Impressed" was used in a sarcastic sense. And any of those things or a typo by the guy typing in the stats could result in an error.
Actually, I've caught it on the physical scoresheet. Multiple times.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Say the K-state kid last year wanting a calculator. As I pointed out count by 5's and 10's really isn't that hard.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Anyone know when bids are coming out?

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

DeckardCain wrote: Anyone know when bids are coming out?
Last year it was the Friday after SCT, so I'd imagine no later than this weekend.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Are bids out yet? Keep me posted. I'm curious.

Also, why do no Missouri teams go to ACF?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Are bids out yet? Keep me posted. I'm curious.

Also, why do no Missouri teams go to ACF?
WUSTL went last year (and to ACF Fall) but there's really no point to it. If you're into that sort of thing (which a lot of us aren't) it's cool, but otherwise that's 3 weekends in a row of travel, getting out of classes, falling behind on class work, and playing. February's a pretty brutal month in the run-up to midterms, may as well cut out the regional that really doesn't require attendance to go to nationals.

And we'll know about the bids as soon as we see white smoke from the Cathedral of Quizbowl.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Thanks to CBI, I will be screwed in 3 of my classes next week. I´m already screwed enough on my art history paper thanks to the tournament last weekend and getting the questions ready and such. Next week isn´t any more promising.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Feb. is the death month for quizbowl players

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Feb. is the death month for quizbowl players
agreed

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Feb. is the death month for quizbowl players
So is April if you qualify for nationals. I really wish TRASHionals wasn't right on top of everything else, they'd likely get better attendance from active teams.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Bids are now up at naqt.com

Division 1

* British Columbia
* Brown
* California-Berkeley
* California-Irvine
* Caltech
* Carleton College
* Chicago A
* Chicago B
* Chicago C
* Florida
* Harding
* Illinois
* Iowa
* Harvard
* Michigan
* Oklahoma State
* Princeton A
* Princeton B
* Rutgers A
* South Florida
* Southern California
* Stanford
* Vanderbilt
* Virginia
* Virginia Commonwealth
* Texas
* Texas A&M
* Toronto
* UCLA
* Wisconsin
* Yale

The top teams on the Division I waitlist are:

1. Florida State
2. Minnesota
3. Maryland
4. Amherst
5. Columbia

Waitlisted teams will be contacted individually if teams are unable to accept their invitations.

If your team did not receive an invitation and would like to attend the ICT on a standby basis, please contact NAQT at ict@naqt.com.The current standby order is:

1. St. Olaf
2. Macalester

Division 2

* Alabama
* Brock
* Brown
* Chicago
* Dartmouth A
* Dartmouth B
* Drake
* Florida
* Harvard
* Illinois
* Johns Hopkins
* Maryland
* Massachusetts Institute of Technology
* McGill
* Minnesota
* Oklahoma
* St. Olaf
* Stanford
* Tennessee-Chattanooga
* Toronto
* Vanderbilt
* Virginia Tech
* Washington University in St. Louis
* Yale

The top teams on the four-year Division II waitlist are:

1. Georgia
2. Truman State
3. Case Western
4. Missouri-Rolla
5. Oklahoma

KentB

Post by KentB »

Well, I had planned on going up there to do standby but my team never got back to me about it and I don´t think I can afford another trip anyway.... so I guess I will be missing out this year unless somehow two teams don´t go.

Good luck to WUSTL though.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Kent, you guys will get in. I'm less confident about our chances, but OSU got in last year after being something like sixth on the waitlist.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Also, why do no Missouri teams go to ACF?
I'm not opposed to the idea of ACF Fall, but it was the same day as the fall HS tournament. Regionals, well, I have absolutely no desire to spend a day playing questions that the majority of teams can't average 10 ppb on.

KentB

Post by KentB »

ACF separates the people who have quiz bowl level knowledge from the people who actually know what is going on. I don´t actually know what is going on... not gonna lie. Studying Bio and Spanish, I could answer their bio questions for the most part. I looked at the packets from this years regional and I saw a lot of stuff we have done in lab in cell bio and genetics listed in the first couple sentences so I could do that. However, when it comes to lit., history, etc. I don´t have that deep knowledge because I don´t read much other than for classes because I don´t have time to. Charles, you would be quite good at ACF from what I have heard about your reading habits.

I am not opposed to going to a tourney though just for practice. I plan on reading a lot this summer and getting good enough for DI NAQT in case we do go to ICT this year.

I didn´t know that it went down to 6th on the wait list. . that´s pretty far so I guess there is hope for this year. I want to go when we have the best chance of doing well and I am not sure if we are ready yet but I also don´t want to wait to play DI til my Senior year..... so it would be best, most likely for the future if we went this year. That would give Ryan and Brandon 3 years on DI questions if they end up going this year.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Bids are out

KentB

Post by KentB »

Jerry from Brown said they aren´t sending a DII team.

One down, one to go.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Need 3 more... with ICT being in such a remote location, it's certainly possible.

The OU team that qualified was OU B (i.e. the one that beat us), if anyone was curious.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

KentB wrote: Charles, you would be quite good at ACF from what I have heard about your reading habits.
I'm curious, what reading habits are those?

KentB

Post by KentB »

just what I have heard ... that you read a helluva lot about everything

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I wouldn't call MSP remote with a major Airport Hub located there.

KentB

Post by KentB »

We would be driving... I´m just hoping we made enough money on our tournament to pay for it.

I also need to convince Paul to come with us so we get the 100 dollar discount.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

KentB wrote: We would be driving... I´m just hoping we made enough money on our tournament to pay for it.

I also need to convince Paul to come with us so we get the 100 dollar discount.
Is Truman one of those schools that'd pay for you guys if you qualified for CBI nats?

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

KentB wrote: ACF separates the people who have quiz bowl level knowledge from the people who actually know what is going on. I don´t actually know what is going on... not gonna lie.
Neither do I. That hasn't stopped me, ever.

I always felt so dumb at quizbowl tournaments when other players were talking about works of literature, philosophers, etc., that I had never even heard of.

It was only when I got married that I decided to stop going to tournaments and getting beaten by 100-200 points with regularity. A man has to have priorities.

Good luck; I hope you can go to Minneapolis in a couple months.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Yes, Truman pays for the trip to nationals from what I understand. That´s only for CBI, of course, as NAQT is on our own. We did get some funding for tournaments this semester but I don´t think we got anything for NAQT Nationals because the FAC/Student Senate waste our money like no others (by waste I mean not giving to us :P).

Thanks for the luck... we will need it to ensure that one more team doesn´t accept their bid and then more so that I can get Brandon and Nathan to go along with Ryan and myself to the ICT.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Not looking to good as only 5 D2 schools have yet to accept.

Those being

Harvard
McGill
Toronto
Virginia Tech
Yale

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Lovely.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Yeah ... Harvard and Yale ... surely they have enough money to go. Toronto isn´t too far so I don´t see why they wouldn´t go ... unless they don´t have passports or something silly like that. Virginia Tech .. again .. idk why they wouldn´t go.

Toronto declined their DI bid so it would seem that if they were to decline their DII bid they would have already ???

They only have until 23:59:59 EST on Thursday, March 1, 2007 so hopefully they´ll umm .. forget or something.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well Brown did only take one of its bids so who knows.

KentB

Post by KentB »

yale and mcgill are our only hopes

MikeWormdog

Post by MikeWormdog »

yale's gonna take its d2 spot, sorry dudes. you can take our d1 slot, though...we're going to acf instead.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Who knows about McGill? After all, Montreal is 950 miles from Minneapolis.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Maybe next year....

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

darn i was looking forward to going to nationals

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »