Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Upcoming College Tournaments

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KentB

Post by KentB »

So.... NAQT is in a couple of weeks. CBI is in a month.

I figure this is a good time to start discussions about the competition.

We are headed to the University of Iowa in Iowa CIty for NAQT to face:
CarletonA
CarletonB
CarletonC
StOlafA
StOlafB
Macalaster
Hamline
WashUA
WashUB
Minnesota, Drake, Grinnell and Iowa State are all tentative.
That´s going to be a fun tournament for sure. We´ll be entering two teams for D-II but are going to be skipping out on D-I since Paul wouldn´t really have anyone to play with unless Kyle decided to play at the last minute.

We played Carleton and Minnesota today at the Drake Sword Bowl and I have to say that Carleton is pretty ridiculous. Their D-II team this year should be beatable though because their sophomore that is ridiculously good has to play D-I or nothing this time around because they went to ICT last year. Then again, they are entering 3 teams so I really don´t know what to expect other than what I saw today... which was beatable.

We also played Minnesota but I don´t think that their D-II team was there either. Grinnell´s D-II will be decent again but I think that they too went to ICT last year and will be ineligible for the same players.

Of course, I see the main competition from WashU at this point. I´m sure they have a nice freshman class to go along with Katie so that will be a good competition.

Right now, we are going with me, Brandon, Ryan S., and a fourth TBA. We did decently at the Drake Tournament despite the ridiculously hard questions ... made it to the playoffs at least. . only to have to play Patrick Hope in the first round of that ... but at least we broke 100 against him.

As for CBI... I don´t know what to expect really ... I don´t like it as much cuz it´s so fast and easy but we do have a team of Paul, Kyle, Nathan, myself, and Will going to that so we´ll see how that goes .... at least it is at Mizzou this time instead of all the way over in Kansas.

Ok that was lengthy but it is meant to get discussion going. Jeff... TMCE ... whoever .. discus

:P

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Max, Super, Mark and I spent the day in snowy Norman, Oklahoma. http://www.ou.edu/student/okacf/results ... dings.html

Our D-II team has a great shot to win sectionals, I think. It will probably come down to us and OU, and possibly Tulsa.

Off topic: Anyone else think a college quizbowl subforum would be cool?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Only 5 questions...?!

I'm really disappointed... I was expecting you to get more than that especially since I didn't go...

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

We need you badly today, Jeff... we were hopeless on way too many questions.

libertymark

Post by libertymark »

it wasn't like practice where i didn't know the information about the answer but heard of the answer. it was i never heard of the answer and therefore couldn't answer the question. there were a few i shouldve gotten but waited a little too long.

DrRyan2011

Post by DrRyan2011 »

Three cheers for CBI in the state of Missouri. Perhaps we will see an all-Missouri playoffs this year.

WashU is bringing three teams to NAQT in Iowa, one D1 and two D2. The D1 team is likely to be just me and Pinyan.

mujason

Post by mujason »

I don't think there will be an all-MO playoff in CBI this year, as Fideleon should be able to get K-State into the playoffs. However, I do think the other 3 teams will be MO schools and be co-favorites: my Mizzou team (I'm back with good teammates), Truman State (Scog-less, though), and Wash U (no Brantley this year). We'll see who wins on my turf February 24.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

mujason wrote: I don't think there will be an all-MO playoff in CBI this year, as Fideleon should be able to get K-State into the playoffs. However, I do think the other 3 teams will be MO schools and be co-favorites: my Mizzou team (I'm back with good teammates), Truman State (Scog-less, though), and Wash U (no Brantley this year). We'll see who wins on my turf February 24.
I'd take offense to this, but I'm about 99.9% sure I won't be at CBI.

Ryan, do you guys need workers at WUHSAC? I sent Pinyan an email (we've got at least five people that would like to go) but haven't gotten a reply yet.

DrRyan2011

Post by DrRyan2011 »

Yes, help at WUHSAC would be much awesome. There would be free pizza, free t-shirt (very stylish this year), and free thai food dinner (if you chose to stuck around for it) involved. I will tell Pinyan to get to his email, or my IM and email information are on facebook.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I wouldn't take offense to it since you lost almost 50% of your scoring from last season.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I wouldn't take offense to it since you lost almost 50% of your scoring from last season.
Yet, somehow, we've managed to do just fine without you... shocking, I know.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Although for the record, I was thinking Rolla for fifth at CBI, just where they finished last year.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Not to shocking.... didn't realize CBI already took place in which you made the final four.

My thoughts
1. Truman
2. Wash U (think I read somewhere Andrew is overseas for the semester; If not they should take 1st again)
3. K-state
4. Mizzou
5. SWOSU
6. UMR

KentB

Post by KentB »

Jason, who is playing on your team this year?

Are David H or Josh Chittum joining you ?

If that is the case then .... well ... it just got a lot more interesting.

KentB

Post by KentB »

A college subforum would be pretty cool. I´m not sure how much it would get used but at least it would be there and separate from the high school stuff.

mujason

Post by mujason »

According to the CBI website, the Wash U roster has no Andrew Brantley; they still have Matt S, Ryan J, Jon P, Kathleen S, though, and now have Ben H. Also, SWOSU is not on the registered teams list, though they did get fourth last year. As for the Mizzou roster, I'm captaining again, with teammates Josh Chittum (South Shelby legend), Justin Myers (Nixa legend), and Andrew Rea (recent Eureka star). We don't have a fifth yet as David Hoffelmeyer played in the campus tourney but declined a spot on the regional team due to the crappy questions. I don't know if we'll even have a fifth for Regionals; there were only 8 teams for the campus tourney and no other undergrad player really jumped out at me.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah SWOSU isn't on the site yet but there is only 3 schools so far.

mujason

Post by mujason »

I know there are only 3 schools registered on the roster page so far, but of the ten schools on the enrolled schools page, SWOSU isn't on that. The ten that are on the list are Fort Hays State, K-State, MO State, Pitt State, Truman State, U of Central MO, u of kansas, Mizzou, Wash U, and Webster.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

mujason wrote: I don't think there will be an all-MO playoff in CBI this year, as Fideleon should be able to get K-State into the playoffs.  However, I do think the other 3 teams will be MO schools and be co-favorites: my Mizzou team (I'm back with good teammates), Truman State (Scog-less, though), and Wash U (no Brantley this year).  We'll see who wins on my turf February 24.
It occurs to me that Columbia is actually MY TURF, as I was born there and grew up in the area. Also Jason, you should remember as well as anyone, you have a noted history of coming up short in that town.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Isn't coming up short why your last boyfriend broke up with you? ZING!!!

KentB

Post by KentB »

I'm not even going to comment on that last remark. I'll let you two work that one out on your own.

Yeah, I don't really see an All-MO playoff happening for said reason. Fidelian (I think he just goes by Fidel) will be in the playoffs for sure and he is a great player.

I just saw that in Region 10 ( I believe it was there) that Ezra Lyons is playing on Minnesota-Twin Cities. Mother of God..... that guy is ridiculous. He won the Drake Sword Bowl by himself and beat his brother Gabe in the championship. It was pretty ridiculous.... so that is what the winner of this tournament has to look forward to.

Friday night party in Columbia anyone ? I'm gonna see if Brandon will come down with us and I'm sure Josh Chittum can get something together :P.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

mujason wrote: Josh Chittum (South Shelby legend), Justin Myers (Nixa legend), and Andrew Rea (recent Eureka star).  We don't have a fifth yet as David Hoffelmeyer played in the campus tourney but declined a spot on the regional team due to the crappy questions.
Chittum is certainly a South Shelby legend, but Justin Myers? You're stretching it. Adam Hill is the Nixa legend.

David is making the right choice for any number of reasons.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Of course Adam Hill has a better record than Justin Myers, but being #2 at state in Class 4 scoring isn't too shabby. I think we'd be a better team with David, but hatred of CBI questions is the best reason not to play and there are lots of people and schools who agree with him. I myself greatly prefer NAQT questions (and that's even before I started to write for them).

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The only "legendary players" from last year were Jason Wu, David, Brandon, and Andrew. There were other very good players, but none legends (other than in reference to their own school).

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

mujason wrote: Isn't coming up short why your last boyfriend broke up with you? ZING!!!
OK OK I get it. This is where I'm supposed to replace "your last boyfriend" with "the animals on your parents' farm" in some sort of childish tit for tat. I'm not going to do that, Jason because 1) we were warned about the personal attacks, 2) I have infinitely more class than that and 3) it is fairly clear from that comment that you do not understand the fundamental mechanics of sexual relations to begin with so any joke I would make is sure to go right over your pretty little head.

Kisses. XOXO

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

scphilli wrote: I'm not going to do that
Didn't you just do it?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
scphilli wrote: I'm not going to do that
Didn't you just do it?
I also called Jason "pretty." Sometimes sarcasm just gets totally lost on people.

mujason

Post by mujason »

You're sicker than T-Bag on Prison Break.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm curious, is Brandon Byrne doing really well on the team at Drake? I would expect him to be good (he very barely had better stats at NAQT HSNCT than Chris Ray, although Chris was better).

KentB

Post by KentB »

I´m assuming he is doing well but Drake didn´t enter a team in their tournament so I didn´t see him.

We will probably see him at NAQT though .... I´m hoping that collectively we can beat him if he will be there.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Kent.... from your HSquizbowl post....Northwest runs a hub out of the Twin cities.... more than a 3rd of the Northwest flights leaving KCI go to Minneapolis (more than a 1/3 going to Detroit and a few going to Memphis).

KentB

Post by KentB »

Northwest .. ok .. that wasn´t showing up on travelocity

I still think it is faster and cheaper for us to drive .... it is closer than U of Oklahoma which we did earlier this year.... so it should be no problem. I was just figuring that if hypothetically we wanted to fly .. it would not be worth it at all.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yeah driving up there isn't to bad at all.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I was really hoping ICT would be in Chicago, but Minnesota isn't bad either - at least we can drive there, assuming we get a bid.

Here's the lineup for our sectional:

Division I
Harding (UG)
Louisiana-Lafayette (UG)
Oklahoma (grad)
Rolla (grad)
Tulsa (UG)
UT-Austin (grad)

Division II
Harding x2
Hendrix
Kansas State x2
Oklahoma x2/3
Rolla
Tulsa x2/3
UT-Austin

Also coming: UT-Dallas (divisions unknown)

Buzzers/volunteers/timers
Harding: 2-3/0/5
Hendrix: 1/1?/1
K-State: 2/1?/0
Oklahoma: 3/1/0
Rolla: 1/1/1
Tulsa: 1?/1/0
UT-Austin: 1-2/0/0

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Meanwhile WUSTL's going to Iowa with this field:
Carleton
Macalaster
Hamline
Wash U
St Olaf
Truman State

Yeah, I wonder if I could go, play as myself to represent SLU and still make it in the middle of the field.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

you so should try but you can find a few rocks along the ride up to iowa to play with you.

MoundCityBMW...T

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

D1 is actually now going to be 2 Carleton's, Hamline, Grinnell, Macalester, us, Wisconsin

D2 3 Carleton's, Grinnell, Macalester, 2 St. Olaf's, 2 Truman's, 3 WUSTL's, 2 Wisconsins.

Fun fun fun.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

UL-Lafayette's coming to Tulsa? Holy crap! That's one L-O-N-G drive. I've driven down to Louisiana before!

Wonder why Tulane isn't coming. Last I heard, the Tulane team was still a going concern.

I always get excited about NAQT Sectionals; I enjoy them immensely.

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

scphilli wrote: D1 is actually now going to be 2 Carleton's, Hamline, Grinnell, Macalester, us, Wisconsin

D2 3 Carleton's, Grinnell, Macalester, 2 St. Olaf's, 2 Truman's, 3 WUSTL's, 2 Wisconsins.
Newest Iowa update:

D1: Carleton x2, Grinnell, Hamline, Iowa St, Macalester, Minnesota, Wash U, Wisconsin.
D2: Carleton x3, Drake x2, Grinnell, Iowa St, Macalester, St Olaf x2, Truman x2, Wash U x3, Wisconsin x2.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The final field at Tulsa is this:

Division I
Harding (UG)
Louisiana-Lafayette (UG)
Oklahoma (grad)
Rolla (grad)
Texas A&M (grad)
Tulsa (UG)
UT-Austin (grad)
Total: seven (three UG, four grad)

Division II
Harding x2
Hendrix
Kansas State x2
Oklahoma X2
Rolla
SWOSU
Texas A&M
Tulsa x2
UT-Austin
UT-Dallas x2
total: 15

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

an open question: is grinnell any good? i ask because i'm planning on going there next year, and i didn't even know they had quiz bowl until now.

KentB

Post by KentB »

if I remember correctly, they have a few good players and went to the NAQT ICT last year in DII

so yeah... they are probably pretty good ... it´s hard to tell from the few tournies we play

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

They finished ahead of us in 2005 at Nationals... we took 15th... I think they were 12th or 13th.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

In an attempt to get this topic going again leading up to Sectionals, here is our roster for this weekend:

Division 1
Max Tohline
Tim Forbis
Seth Stanley
Zack Christensen

Division 2
Matt Chadbourne
Jeffrey Hill
Mark Bryan
Morgan Schiermeier

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote: Division 2
Matt Chadbourne
Jeffrey Hill
Mark Bryan
Morgan Schiermeier
So Morgan is going... when did he finally get back to you?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Approximately an hour and a half ago.

KentB

Post by KentB »

Here is our team:

DII
Kent Buxton
Ryan Stander
William Regot
Christopher Stone

Team 2
Ali Pearson
Ashley Rufus
Vikram Keskar
one of Vikram´s friends

Brandon couldn´t make it cuz he has to go to his dad´s bday party :-( ... and Nathan doesn´t really play with us anymore for reasons I won´t go into.

So we could have made a stronger team but that just didn´t work out this year so that is what we are goin with.

jonpin

Post by jonpin »

Might as well post this.

D1 team:
Ryan Jacobson, Jon Pinyan, fun, good times, a deck of cards

D2 teams:
B: Ben Hofstetter, Neel Kotra, Katie Shen, Laura Soderberg
C: Alon Brodie, Puneet Kollipara, Zach Steinert-Threlkeld, Ed Tsai
D: David Brody, Greg Holton, Alex Jeffrey, David Portnoy

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

jonpin wrote: Might as well post this.

D1 team:
Ryan Jacobson, Jon Pinyan, fun, good times, a deck of cards

D2 teams:
B: Ben Hofstetter, Neel Kotra, Katie Shen, Laura Soderberg
C: Alon Brodie, Puneet Kollipara, Zach Steinert-Threlkeld, [possibly one more]
D: David Brody, Greg Holton, Alex Jeffrey, David Portnoy [maybe]

The composition of our C and D teams is not set in stone, as we might fill that fourth space on C with someone new or someone from D or not.
Neel Kotra was the captain of last year's Thomas Jefferson team. Each year in Virginia there are maybe 5-7 teams for whom an ACF Fall set would be a more appropriate "playing field" instead of my questions which are between NAQT IS and NAQT IS-A sets.

Thomas Jefferson is as all of you know one of those teams.

Good luck to all the Missouri teams.