Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Worst movie ever...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
jcarkeys

Worst movie ever...

Post by jcarkeys »

At least, that I've seen in theatres.

That honor would go to King Kong, the movie that lumbers in at 3 hours.

Don't waste your money, it was atrocious. I got bored less than an hour into it which is a record for me.

AC160

Worst movie ever...

Post by AC160 »

I am hijacking this thread to talk about good movies now.

I watched The Blues Brothers and it was really good.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Worst movie ever...

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

That's a pathetic attempt.

You want horrible!? Try anything made by ABC Family!! Not only is the channel still tethered to Pat Robertson's organizations (not ministries; he's just a J.D.), Disney's second-rate movie writers write the corny movies for this channel. However, I hear their first original series is gaining success.

jcarkeys

Worst movie ever...

Post by jcarkeys »

The only thing ABC Family is good for is Whose Line.

The original King Kong was ~1.5 hours. Peter Jackson's version was ~3. He just thinks that because he got 9 hours for Lord of the Rings that people want him to make long movies. He's wrong.

EDIT: If we're gonna talk movies...
The Exorcist (1973) was not very impressive. Not scary at all. Disturbing, creepy, grotesque, yes, but terrifying, no. No plot. I was very disappointed by it, considering how it's one of those films in the pantheon of American Filmmaking classics. It's definitely dated. Other than the styles and the medical equipment (scaries part of the movie if you ask me. The noise of the head x-ray machine sounds exactly like the Apollo docking noise), just the filmmaking style seems very 70's.
Recommendation: Yeah, you've gotta see it, but see it with friends. Preferably females, as at least you can give them a hard time about it. Don't watch it on a 1-1 style date, that'd be retarded.

Road To Perdition (2002). I was expecting a lot from this film, really was. I love Tom Hanks, I love the concept of the film. The execution left much to be desiring. It can't decide if it wants to be plot driven, action driven, or character driven. As such, it's just kind of... bleh. I kept waiting for something to happy, but it just ended. It was very sparse. I've just got an emptiness from that film, I wanted more but it never delivered. The end was very predictable (if you saw the movie but didn't know that was gonna happen, c'mon) and there was a blatant anti-gun statement to end it that just made me wanna hurl (I recently acquired a Ruger 10/22 along with my 12 gauge, 9mm, and Ruger pistol). So, eh.
Recommendation: I'd say don't see it for most people. Maybe there was something more in there I didn't see, but I can't imagine so. If you like Hanks, you should see it. He wasn't the main character either, the little kid stole the stage. This movie would be fine alone, but would definitely be enhanced by a girl sitting next to you who would just laugh really hard at random points in the movie. Especially better if said girl would laugh harder when you look at her to wonder why she's laughing.

AC160

Worst movie ever...

Post by AC160 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: That's a pathetic attempt.
A pathetic attempt, yes. I don't watch many movies so hijacking this was a bit hard.

L-Town Expatriate

Worst movie ever...

In that case, don't see Attack of the Killer Tomatoes. Actually, it's so horrible, you just have to see it AND its sequel!!

AC160

Worst movie ever...

Post by AC160 »

Is that where giant tomatoes and other vegetables take over everything? I have heard of it.

Not too many movies are bad enough to watch and watch its sequal.

ajax

Worst movie ever...

Post by ajax »

Aren't crappy remakes and poor sequels really pathetic?, writers need to be more creative. :wacko:

L-Town Expatriate

Worst movie ever...

Speaking of idiotic sequels, who were the frakked-up geniuses behind "Cheaper By The Dozen 2"!? As if one movie starring never-been-parents Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt wasn't enough...

jeevesthemighty

Worst movie ever...

Post by jeevesthemighty »

as far as cheaper by the dozen 2, my motto: any sequel of a bad-ish original movie will be exponentially awful.

as for king kong... definitely not peter jackson's best work. too much special effects do not compensate for too little plot in a 3 1/2 hour period. the highlight for me was making fun of the movie with my friend.
on that note, in a fight between king kong, godzilla, the jet puff marshmallow man, and the giant baby from honey i blew up the baby, who would win?
my bet is on the baby.

East Buc & UMR

Worst movie ever...

Post by East Buc & UMR »

by jet puff do you mean the stay puff marshmellow man from Ghost Busters?

LibertyMarie

Worst movie ever...

Post by LibertyMarie »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Speaking of idiotic sequels, who were the frakked-up geniuses behind "Cheaper By The Dozen 2"!?  As if one movie starring never-been-parents Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt wasn't enough...
i haven't seen the cheaper by the dozen movies, but i HAAAAAAAAATE the posters (banners?) for them where they freaking shrink tom welling. lol *shrug*

i saw the legend of zorro last night. it was cute, but i realized afterward that it didn't particularly have a plot and just reused what worked from the first movie. *shrug*

you know for what movie i'm waiting? ender's game. which i don't actually think will ever be made, but still.

aaaand, i have officially seen 4 of the 5 movies of fall/winter 2005 that i wanted to see. which is pretty good, as i had expected to only see one of them (the last was only in theatres for like 3 weeks, heh). yay me. *shrug again*

S.C.Mitchell07

Worst movie ever...

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

I'm angry that I don't have anything to do with either the HALO movie or Max Payne.

L-Town Expatriate

Worst movie ever...

The Stay-Puft dude would cause the other three to bloat. My vote's for him.

AC160

Worst movie ever...

Post by AC160 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Speaking of idiotic sequels, who were the frakked-up geniuses behind "Cheaper By The Dozen 2"!? As if one movie starring never-been-parents Steve Martin and Bonnie Hunt wasn't enough...
I haven't seen the new Cheaper by the Dozen movies, but by they way they look they are quite bad. I have seen the original Cheaper by the dozen. It is real good.

L-Town Expatriate

Worst movie ever...

As in 1950 original or the 2004 farce that was even more of a farce with Hilary Duff?

(Anybody else get the feeling she'll mysteriously ally with Tom DeLay's campaign this November?)

ajax

Worst movie ever...

Post by ajax »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
(Anybody else get the feeling she'll mysteriously ally with Tom DeLay's campaign this November?)
Interesting idea, maybe Delay might have a Lewinsky scandal with Hilary Duff, besides he is involved with that bribery case, I think he will go to jail instead of running a campaign. If he runs, it will running from the prison buddies who will teach him not to drop the soap

L-Town Expatriate

Worst movie ever...

No, he'll be at a minimum security palace. Just replay that whole scene from Office Space where Samir, Michael, and Peter plot their laundering scheme.

AC160

Worst movie ever...

Post by AC160 »

I was meaning the 1950 original.

I have yet to see Office Space though I have heard it is good.

Nate Kinast

Worst movie ever...

Post by Nate Kinast »

LibertyMarie wrote: you know for what movie i'm waiting? ender's game. which i don't actually think will ever be made, but still.
I've been watching for that movie too... I've heard different things about whether or not it's actually getting made. OSC talks about it occasionally on his website, but I've heard too many projected starting/finishing dates to believe them yet. I'll be really excited if it ever does come out, though. I love Orson Scott Card.

Octoguy

Worst movie ever...

Post by Octoguy »

I was once forced to watch a certain film known as XXX. I got through about two and a half minutes, then realised I hated it with a passion. I've since caught clips of it from various places, and I dunno, it really rubbed me the wrong way for some reason. And I still hate it with a passion. And that's the end of THAT story, folks. Thanks for bearing with me.