Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

College football

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

Well, I'm not sure of the last time the Border Showdown had potential national title implications.

KU should beat Oklahoma State on the road and Iowa State at home. Mizzou should be able to beat Texas A&M at home and beat K-State on the road.

Now the thing is that Mizzou fans want Kansas to win and win big in the next two weeks.

If KU can get past Mizzou and (probably) Oklahoma, they deserve a shot in the title game.

If Mizzou can get past KU and (probably) Oklahoma in the rematch, and there's only Ohio State and Hawaii undefeated, Mizzou has some right to complain about being left out in the cold.

On the other hand ...
Ohio State hosts Illinois and plays at a resurgent Michigan. A loss may not dump them down enough though. (#1 to #4, say)
LSU hosts Lousiana Tech, plays at Ole Miss, and hosts Arkansas. Mizzou's hope here is that the SEC East produces a team that can unseat them. There is a chance for that. However, a loss in the conference title game is will be enough to knock someone out of the top two.
Oregon plays at Arizona, at UCLA, and hosts Oregon State. I'd be a bit more sanguine if they played AT Oregon State. UCLA is capable of an upset, although they usually reserve those for USC.
Kansas, see above.
Oklahoma hosts Baylor, plays at Texas Tech, and then hosts Oklahoma State.

The chances of losses happening all around here are greater than zero but not by much. How much do the Tigers return for next year?

Also, your well-wishes as UVA seeks to combine the words 'UVA' and 'ACC Champions' without eliciting peals of laughter will be much appreciated. If they beat VaTech they are in the title game. The Miami game is good for bragging rights though. Their five wins of two points or less just set a new NCAA record.

Ford08

College football

Post by Ford08 »

This year has not been a good year for college football for me. I am a Huge Notre Dame fan... I believe that is enough said.

:(

richbob

College football

Post by richbob »

Notre Dame - hahahahahahahahahaahha - sorry

MIZZOU class of 1974, 1978 (Masters)

Patrick,

In future correspondences, please do not ever mention the ice storm again. Thanks. We are going to have 70 degree, sunny weather for the Richland Tournament this year!

Charlie Dees

College football

Post by Charlie Dees »

I thought Ford08 was Chad Brewer.

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

ashkenaziCD wrote: I thought Ford08 was Chad Brewer.
Yeah, I thought Patrick (that's the Fordland coach) was FordATeamCC or something like that.

I for one am not sorry about Notre Dame's ill fortunes. I thought my Schadenfreude was exhausted after they went 5-6 that one year, but no! It has merely renewed, and each defeat makes my cold, black heart leap with delight.

I assume we are all (except me) Mizzou fans here, right?

DeckardCain

College football

Post by DeckardCain »

Mizzou should beat Kansas by two touchdowns.

I don't think Hawaii will (or should) get in the title game even if they run the table.

Out of Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma and Oregon, at least two will lose another game this year.

Ford08

College football

Post by Ford08 »

Yes, I am Chad Brewer, I have had several unfortunate computer problems.

Yes, "Patrick" or Bert as we all know and love him here is FORDATEAMCC.

richbob

College football

Post by richbob »

my apologies

However, seeing Notre Lame and Flubraska lose will never break my heart. Perhaps Callahan can swap jobs with Weis(el).

Ford08

College football

Post by Ford08 »

I would rather be losing at Norte Dame, then winning anywhere else. Including some no talent Mizzu team.

Bert on the other hand is a Sooner fan, more like Oklasuck in my opinion.

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

richbob wrote: my apologies

However, seeing Notre Lame and Flubraska lose will never break my heart. Perhaps Callahan can swap jobs with Weis(el).
It doesn't give you great joy to see a Jayhawk clipped?

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

DeckardCain wrote: Mizzou should beat Kansas by two touchdowns.

I don't think Hawaii will (or should) get in the title game even if they run the table.

Out of Ohio State, LSU, Oklahoma and Oregon, at least two will lose another game this year.
One down, three to go. OSU lost to Illinois.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

College football

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

STPickrell wrote:

One down, three to go. OSU lost to Illinois.
Two down, two to go: Oregon met the end of someone's shotgun at Arizona.

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

Next Saturday.

Given that the KSHSAA hasn't seen the light and awarded me their state series contract, all I can say is

M I Z Z O U!

I just hope the Border Showdown doesn't conflict with the Commonwealth Cup (UVA-VaTech.)

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

Matt, did you wager anything on all four of those teams losing? 'Cause if so, you could well have your remaining years at UMR/MUST paid for.

DeckardCain

College football

Post by DeckardCain »

Nope, but it looks like it would have been a pretty good idea.

Also, haha nebraska.

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

HAHA Bleaux Tigers

#1 vs #2 tomorrow

East Buc & UMR

College football

Post by East Buc & UMR »

or 2 vs. 4

if you want to advance them 1 vs. 3

Don't forget about WVU

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

East Buc & UMR wrote: or 2 vs. 4

Don't forget about WVU
Hmm, if WVU has the coveted #2 spot in the BCS now, that just means UConn will win.

L-Town Expatriate

College football

STPickrell wrote:
East Buc & UMR wrote: or 2 vs. 4

Don't forget about WVU
Hmm, if WVU has the coveted #2 spot in the BCS now, that just means UConn will win.
QFT!!! :lol:

But oh crap, that means Mizzou has to play Ohio State. It'd be very, very insane if KU somehow was #2 after Mizzou beat them and OU next week.

East Buc & UMR

College football

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Unless UConn can figure out how to stop the read Option it looks like WVu is going to hang 50+ on them.

socalcaptain

College football

Post by socalcaptain »

MU Victory!

<<I'm not much of a college football fan, but I have been accepted to Mizzou so I guess I have to be excited.>>

L-Town Expatriate

College football

East Buc & UMR wrote: Unless UConn can figure out how to stop the read Option it looks like WVu is going to hang 50+ on them.
If West Virginia is #2 this week, then I'd be very cautious about what Pitt does to them.

Even if Mizzou loses to Oklahoma, a WVa loss to Pitt will be far more chaotic on the BCS' computers.

FordATeam/CC

College football

Post by FordATeam/CC »

How about that! West Virginia loses AND OU trounces Mizzou. I really thought Mizzou would give OU a lot better game. After the close game in Norman, I was very thankful that the regular season game wasn't in Columbia. My 12 year old son is a huge Mizzou fan, so between that and so much being on the line for Mizzou this was probably the ONLY time I was ever routing for a team playing against OU (although I was finding it very difficult to do). Now what happens? Does the #1 ranked team actually fall out of even a BCS game? Can you actually limit the Big 12 to only two teams in the BCS after they were just recently dominating the rankings and only fell to other top caliber teams (with the exception of OU's loss when Bradford got knocked out of the game). Hopefully the Tigers aren't penalized for having to play OU twice this season. Things would be so much simpler if the Sooners would have just taken care of business against Colorado and/or Texas Tech.

ELADAMO89

College football

Post by ELADAMO89 »

im sorry
but im just a lame okie state fan
so im use to my team going down
unless its wrestling or golf in which i expect OSU to win
even though i know nothing about wrestling except that pro is fake
Mangino is still coach of the year

Ford08

College football

Post by Ford08 »

Adam, you make me laugh. NOTRE DAME FOREVER!!!!!!! (They should be in a bowl game)

ELADAMO89

College football

Post by ELADAMO89 »

eh
oh well
i like Notre Dame too
but there is no excuse for this season
Charlie Wies is better than that and so is the program

L-Town Expatriate

College football

ELADAMO89 wrote: Mangino is still coach of the year
Even though he can't lay off the cupcakes.

I look forward to him getting wheelbarrowed into the Hokie weight loss program down in Miami. :lol: :lol:

ELADAMO89

College football

Post by ELADAMO89 »

some people walk
others wadle
its ok

LittleMissLit

College football

Post by LittleMissLit »

oh, chad, bert, and adam.

you silly, silly, boys with your football quarrels.

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

College football

Post by wldcat_blldog »

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/BCSDestruction

Sign this if you want to make a difference potentially.

MikeWormdog

College football

Post by MikeWormdog »

I like the BCS, although I think some years no championship should be awarded. This is one of those years. Oklahoma and USC are probably the best two teams, but they lost when they shouldn't have. So did LSU and Ohio State. Why does a champion even have to be crowned? Why can't multiple teams claim the title this year? No one team deserves it--I think the best team should be declared the champion, not just the team that won the final single-elimination tournament like in basketball. A football playoff is unnecessary and would hurt more schools than it would help.

Check out Gregg Easterbrook, one of the few pundits who's actually right about the situation (because he looks at the logistics of hosting football games attended by 80,000+ people), at Tuesday Morning Quarterback on espn.com.

Also, Arkansas should beat Missouri in the Cotton Bowl. The Hogs are much better than their record indicates. They should have been a top five team this year. They underachieved in the fourth quarter and let teams back into games when they should have been putting them away (Alabama, Kentucky, and Auburn) with their bruising running attack. I think part of that blame belongs to Houston Nutt, who's gone now.

L-Town Expatriate

College football

MikeWormdog wrote: I like the BCS, although I think some years no championship should be awarded.  This is one of those years.  Oklahoma and USC are probably the best two teams, but they lost when they shouldn't have.  So did LSU and Ohio State.  Why does a champion even have to be crowned?  Why can't multiple teams claim the title this year?  No one team deserves it--I think the best team should be declared the champion, not just the team that won the final single-elimination tournament like in basketball. A football playoff is unnecessary and would hurt more schools than it would help. 

Check out Gregg Easterbrook, one of the few pundits who's actually right about the situation (because he looks at the logistics of hosting football games attended by 80,000+ people), at Tuesday Morning Quarterback on espn.com.
This has been a problem generated by the nature of how football's scheduled. Before MSHSAA took over football in '68, there was no statewide playoff. You fought for your conference title and fought your bitter cross-county rival on Armistice Day and then again on Turkey Day and that was it.

Too much money, too much "we gotta be #1" mentality, etc. etc. Although in this case, the conferences are part of the problem. You have "major" conference and "minor" conferences, and the major ones that are awash in money, along with Army, Navy & Notre Dame, get preferential treatment. It doesn't lend well to parity.
MikeWormdog wrote:Also, Arkansas should beat Missouri in the Cotton Bowl.  The Hogs are much better than their record indicates.  They should have been a top five team this year.  They underachieved in the fourth quarter and let teams back into games when they should have been putting them away (Alabama, Kentucky, and Auburn) with their bruising running attack. I think part of that blame belongs to Houston Nutt, who's gone now.
Uhh... how about not. Arkansas can't get their act together (and the Morning News and Dem-Gazette can't stop spilling the beans about prospective coaches in-between their separate witch hunts of Ken Williams). The sooner they swallow their already bruised pride and name Reggie Herring the new coach, the better.

Houston had his hair-brained calls (and ways to misuse talented players and e-mail accounts), but his departure could potentially gut Razorback football for quite awhile if this keeps getting mishandled.

MikeWormdog

College football

Post by MikeWormdog »

While the turmoil may not bode well for recruiting for the next couple of years (unless Gus Malzahn comes back), the team has played well despite these lingering problems. They beat LSU at Baton Rouge knowing that Nutt might leave and had a good season during the coaching problems/defections last year. The newspaper coverage could be seen as a problem, but it's not really different from the coverage Nebraska (or any school where their team is THE team in the state) gets. MU gets less publicity on its coaching searches because it has less statewide support, with KC and STL divided among KU, K-State, and Illinois, among others.

The Cotton Bowl is a much bigger deal to Arkansas than it is to MU, given Arkansas's old Southwest Conference ties. Arkansas is more talented than Missouri (likely 3 consensus All-Americans in McFadden, Felix Jones as a KR, and Center Jonathan Luigs), especially given MU's current tight end/receiver injury situation. MU's rushing defense is suspect, and I don't think it can handle McFadden and Jones. Missouri might score quite a few points, but I think they'll be worn down defensively. Physical teams (like Oklahoma) give them problems. Marcus Monk, the Razorbacks' best receiver, should be healthier than at any point in the season. I think Herring will have them ready for the bowl game.

If MU loses, the likely story is that they were due for a letdown, but I think they could lose to Arkansas even under better circumstances.

STPickrell

College football

Post by STPickrell »

I believe Mike should revise his remarks for the record :-)

Right now there is a game between Kansas and Virginia Tech. Given that I am a son of Virginia (and a UVA fan since I could understand what was happening on screen) and an adopted second cousin of Missouri (the Pickrells moved out to Missouri in the 1850s, apparently couldn't hack it/got asked to leave for horse thievery, and came back to Virginia), I'll cheer for Kansas if some sort of football-ability stealing vortex can't appear at midfield.