Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

mac 4eva

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
LibertyMarie

mac 4eva

Post by LibertyMarie »

LibertyMarie wrote: it's a long and boring story
see above

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Yay! I can access my AFS space without downloading any 3rd party software... thanks to Mac OS X being UNIX based, the built-in Terminal provides me access to the UNIX server! (Unfortunately, as far as I know, to get files from AFS to my computer, I have to copy them to my public HTML folder and download them using Safari... OpenAFS, the 3rd-party app that maps it as a drive, isn't Tiger compatible yet) But at least that means if need be, I should be able to work on CS53/54 projects here!

:P

Windows and your silly PuTTY 3rd party client...

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

umm... I worked on all my programs in my room.... using telnet

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

What program did you use to do that? Now that I think about it it seems that Windows would have an included program for telnet.

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

run: telnet rocket.cc.umr.edu is what I used. Not sure if Rocket is still in use, but gpunix2.cc.umr.edu or dell(#1-6).cc.umr.edu

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh so you just do the telnet command in the run box. That makes me think they use PuTTY so that they can use much better security with SSH. Do you know if you can connect to it with SSH without 3rd party software?

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Putty is a much better program... security among others... but yes Telnet is what I used for 53, for 153 you have to use Visual and in 253 and 284 we used putty

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

yessss apple.
revel in its GLORY.

LibertyMarie

mac 4eva

Post by LibertyMarie »

mah ipod is ghetto crap!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

mac 4eva

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

So that's where you all are!! Gah!

(Insert whiny anti-social diatribe and useless comparisons to icthyods here.)

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: So that's where you all are!! Gah!

(Insert whiny anti-social diatribe and useless comparisons to icthyods here.)
what?

LibertyMarie

mac 4eva

Post by LibertyMarie »

the apple store LIED to me, boo
lol

AC160

mac 4eva

Post by AC160 »

What were you lied to about?

LibertyMarie

mac 4eva

Post by LibertyMarie »

AC160 wrote: What were you lied to about?
the level of ghetto-ness of my ipod

AC160

mac 4eva

Post by AC160 »

Ahh ok.

AC160

mac 4eva

Post by AC160 »

Now that the new intel macs have come out, what do you mac lovers think about them.?

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

AC160 wrote: Now that the new intel macs have come out, what do you mac lovers think about them.?
I have not used one yet or even seen one in person... in theory it should be better in the long run (more rapid development of better chips and less power consumption/heat generation than G5's) but for now there are going to be inevitable kinks that show up in the first model of any new Apple product. One major downside right now is some major programs (Photoshop/Illustrator/etc. are the most obvious that come to mind) are not universal binaries yet (that can run on both Intel and PPC) so they will run incredibly slow under Rosetta (the technology that converts PPC to Intel at runtime). By the time I buy a new computer, it will be several new products later, all programs should run on Intel natively, and most everything should be more optimized for Intel.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

i just realized facebook has an amazing iphoto export option for uploading photos that is much more convenient than uploading them five at a time, which is the only other (as far as i can tell) option if you're working from a mac.

considering this, i looked through iphoto, and i realized it's not too bad of a program (i hardly ever use it. i prefer preview normally and just have my photos saved in folders on my hard drive). i didn't realize till now that i could have separate iphoto albums and such to organize everything. now that i know that, i think i might want to put all of my pictures into iphoto. will my photos take up more space if i put them all in iphoto than they do saved as they are now, or will they be the same size?

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

How is that release date for OSX 10.5 coming along?

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

flycaitiee69 wrote: i just realized facebook has an amazing iphoto export option for uploading photos that is much more convenient than uploading them five at a time, which is the only other (as far as i can tell) option if you're working from a mac.

considering this, i looked through iphoto, and i realized it's not too bad of a program (i hardly ever use it. i prefer preview normally and just have my photos saved in folders on my hard drive). i didn't realize till now that i could have separate iphoto albums and such to organize everything. now that i know that, i think i might want to put all of my pictures into iphoto. will my photos take up more space if i put them all in iphoto than they do saved as they are now, or will they be the same size?
Saw Bill's comment and completely missed your post

:( Luckily I read back and realized I didn't remember seeing the question before

Files will be the same size - it'll just copy the picture from where it is on your drive to the iPhoto Library folder. The only thing you might not like is they will be stored in the actual file folders by date. So, suppose you took a picture on May 7, 2005. Its location on the hard drive would be:
Your Home Folder>Pictures>iPhoto Library>2005>05>07>filename.jpg

That being said, they will take up more space if you don't delete them from where you have them now after importing, because you will have 2 copies of each.

As for the delay... it's not like Vista came out on time. Plus Tiger's only 2 years old. At least it's (supposedly) to make sure the iPhone has as few bugs as possible. In a broad scope I don't really care but for myself it kinda sucks because I'm hoping to get a MacBook Pro whenever they have the free iPod back to school deal.

Historyman

mac 4eva

Post by Historyman »

I think Best Buy has become an authorized Apple computer dealer.

libertymark

mac 4eva

Post by libertymark »

Historyman wrote: I think Best Buy has become an authorized Apple computer dealer.
they have, i saw it on their website a few months ago. though its not like i am going to go buy one from them. personally best buy screws over customers.

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Crapple machines are expensive enough... couldn't think how much more they would be at BB.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Crapple machines are expensive enough... couldn't think how much more they would be at BB.
expensive but also more reliable, more user-friendly, and they come with pretty much all programs you need. you don't need to buy anything extra when you purchase a mac.

when i bought my ibook, i went ahead and purchased microsoft office for $150 with it, but my computer came with apple works for free, which does everything word does....

:shrug:

i think the cost between an apple/non-apple really balances itself out in the long run. i'd say they're about the same.

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

expensive but also more reliable, more user-friendly, and they come with pretty much all programs you need. you don't need to buy anything extra when you purchase a mac.

when i bought my ibook, i went ahead and purchased microsoft office for $150 with it, but my computer came with apple works for free, which does everything word does....

:shrug:

i think the cost between an apple/non-apple really balances itself out in the long run. i'd say they're about the same.
I wouldn't

Unless you are getting a e-machine from walmart most PC will come with either stand alone word or works (which can read .doc and Word can read works files).

I doubt the "free" apple works is able to read .doc files which is what most of the world uses. The only field Mac make sense is print (be it magazines, photos, or handouts).

So outside of office if you need excel or something I don't see where you will spend the $700-$1000 to make of the difference.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

East Buc & UMR wrote:
I wouldn't

Unless you are getting a e-machine from walmart most PC will come with either stand alone word or works (which can read .doc and Word can read works files).

I doubt the "free" apple works is able to read .doc files which is what most of the world uses. The only field Mac make sense is print (be it magazines, photos, or handouts).

So outside of office if you need excel or something I don't see where you will spend the $700-$1000 to make of the difference.
i'll admit, i don't use appleworks (obviously, since i bought microsoft office), but my suitemate does and doesn't seem to have any problems with it. i don't know about the .doc thing, but i imagine there is some way around it since she usese the program for everything. i'm not really sure, though.

a lot of those who use macs are into music production or graphic design, both of which function better on apples....

just depends on what you want to do with your computer, i suppose. i think the extra money was worth it (and, i don't pay much attention to pc costs, but i really don't think my ibook cost too much more than a non-apple laptop would have. i know my roommate has a really cheap laptop [it was around $400 maybe?] but she also has a LOT of problems with it. i've not had any problems in the +1.5 years i've had good old rutherford. i think you get what you pay for, quality/reliability-wise.)

lol, i don't mean to enter the mac/pc argument. i can use either and see benefits to both. for my personal use, a mac makes more sense, is more convenient, and i think my computer is just plain cute.

STPickrell

mac 4eva

Post by STPickrell »

libertymark wrote:
Historyman wrote: I think Best  Buy has become an authorized Apple computer dealer.
they have, i saw it on their website a few months ago. though its not like i am going to go buy one from them. personally best buy screws over customers.
True. I suspect Circuit City screws customers even more with their newly-fired workforce.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Hey Jeff--
Can you tell me how to change a Word document to pdf format for emailing purposes? This is probably a very simple thing, but I want to make sure I do it correctly as the project I need to send is a huge portion of my grade.
Thanks! : )

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

flycaitiee69 wrote: Hey Jeff--
Can you tell me how to change a Word document to pdf format for emailing purposes? This is probably a very simple thing, but I want to make sure I do it correctly as the project I need to send is a huge portion of my grade.
Thanks! : )
Yeah it actually is very simple and an awesome feature of Tiger. Just go to File-Print, click the PDF button and then click Save as PDF

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

sorta like the PDF printer that is installed with all Adobe products????

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

How do I set a password on my computer?

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

flycaitiee69 wrote: How do I set a password on my computer?
Your login password?

Did you try going into System Preferences and typing "Password" in the search box? I'd think that would have found it for you.

From Apple:

From the Apple menu choose System Preferences.

From the View menu choose Accounts.

Click the lock button if it appears locked.

Select the username whose password you want to change.

Click the Reset Password button (Mac OS X 10.4 only).
Enter a new password in both the Password and Verify fields, and hint.

Click the Reset Password button (Mac OS X 10.4 only).

If a dialog box appears with the message "Your Keychain password will be changed to your new account password," click OK.
It might be slightly different since you're editing your own password.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Okay, this does work for changing my administrative password, but I want to set this like a Windows system - where you need to login to an account with a password when the computer is turned on/opened from being asleep. I want my computer completely locked unless you know the password.

Edit: Do these options look reasonable? I think I'm going to use some of these:
http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/macosxh ... /index.php

Last Edit: Okay, this works. I have it set now that I can either click from my username in the menu bar to go to the login screen or to go to that screen after 20 minutes of inactivity. Sweet action. : )

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

You could go with something like Data Armor

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

East Buc & UMR wrote: You could go with something like Data Armor
What is that?

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is what we use on our laptops at the Bank. It encrypts the Hard drive. Only way to log on is with a correct username. After 5 wrong tries the program won't let you try again for 20 minutes. If you turn the laptop off during that time it will reset the timer.

jcarkeys

mac 4eva

Post by jcarkeys »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
AC160 wrote: We have to use nework cards the college supplies to us since the MAC addressed are registered in the server for security reasaons.
WHAT?!?!?!?! That means if you buy a new computer before you decide to go to that school and it's still under warranty, you would have to most likely forfeit your warranty! They'd better be USB adapters! At Rolla you just have to register the MAC address of your existing card - you are allowed to register up to 6 MAC addresses to your account. Rolla's system makes MUCH more sense.
(I know this is 2 years old)

MAC registration? Try MAC spoofing. I change my MAC addresses weekly.

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Are the new iPods not the ugliest thing ever?

The shape of the nano
the colors for the shuffle and nano (gag me)

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Are the new iPods not the ugliest thing ever?

The shape of the nano
the colors for the shuffle and nano (gag me)
The color selection is pretty bad. The nano on the other hand does look a little weird but makes sense to accommodate the bigger screen. Looking at it, the low placement of the scroll wheel might make operation awkward but I'd have to see for myself.

And how about that $200 iPhone price drop?? And still having to pay EXTRA for custom ringtones that you have to BUY from the iTunes Store firsthand...

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I wish I knew an iPhone owner so I can see there face when they saw the price drop.

LibertyMarie

mac 4eva

Post by LibertyMarie »

I like the purple shuffle. why isn't there a purple nano??
i can't BELIEVE the baseline ipod is 80 gigs. oh my gah.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Can anyone tell me how to get the audio files on this page to play once I have downloaded them? Are they even Mac compatible?

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

flycaitiee69 wrote:Can anyone tell me how to get the audio files on this page to play once I have downloaded them? Are they even Mac compatible?
.ram files are for RealPlayer

Should be the link to the free player:
https://order.real.com/pt/order.html?co ... _1_0_0_2_0

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

Hey, cool, thanks.

Real Player = good....
All of the links I need for my French homework being expired = bad.

>:[

Jeffrey Hill

mac 4eva

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

It sucks shopping for external hard drives because the majority of them have a good number of bad reviews. The only 1-star newegg review was for someone using it on Windows 2000, so it would seem to be the better among the two, although the newegg one only has 10 total reviews and most are within the first week of ownership (as most positive reviews are probably in general).

Are you getting this for a bunch of movies/music, or did you upgrade to Leopard and are going to use Time Machine?

I have an enclosure (from Newegg) and I originally put a 160 GB Seagate drive in it. Recently I ran out of space and now have a 500 GB drive I bought at Best Buy a couple of months ago for $100. This works well for me because the 160 drive is mostly movie project stuff that's just being archived and thus it works better to have a cheaper internal drive archived in the closet rather than have 2 external drives. I also trust the Seagate brand more. Of course, you'd have to find an internal drive for $100 or less, which I was just lucky to have looked on a week when they had it that cheap.

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

This is just to back up my computer and for music. As for the reviews, that was exactly my take on it, which is why I came here to ask. I wondered if anyone around here might have personal experience with either of these brands. My understanding, from the reviews at least, is that the Iomega actually has a Seagate drive inside, if that makes a difference. :shrug: I originally intended to purchase casing and a drive, but decided this would just be easier. Maybe I should still do that? Je ne sais pas....

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

I ended up purchasing a 320 GB Mybook at Best Buy for $130. It just seemed easier, and there is no way I need 500 GB of space.

East Buc & UMR

mac 4eva

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Should of went to Microcenter.

They have the same 320gb drive for $100

1TB for 300

:)

flycaitiee69

mac 4eva

Post by flycaitiee69 »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Should of went to Microcenter.

They have the same 320gb drive for $100

1TB for 300

:)
Alas....

:(

Hey, can anyone help me figure out what I am DOING with this thing? I want to back up my entire computer, but I would like to use something that will do this automatically every so often, preferrably without recopying the entire hard drive every time.

I think I have backed most of it, but I did this using Memeo, which is only a trial version that came with the drive. That said, I need to find something new (and free) to use in the future. I can't figure out if Memeo does that or not - I added a bunch of new music to iTunes earlier while not connected to the external drive, and as far as I can tell, my new music isn't on the external drive now. ALSO...if I have backed my drive, is it safe to delete music off my computer? It really is on the external drive now...right?

...Yes. Thanks, if anyone is able to help.