Looking for study material?
Prepare for next season with thousands of packets FREE for study and practice use from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
Need a new buzzer system? Apply for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:26 am

Book Reviews 

Post Book Reviews
So as many of you know I work in a bookstore and I'm always curious about what people are reading. I'm pretty lucky because I at least get to skim an interesting cross section of material both good and bad. Currently, I'm reading "The Book That Changed America: How Darwin's Theory of Evolution Ignited a Nation" by Randall Fuller. It approaches the subject matter in a way I didn't think of but discusses how the publication of Origin of Species on the eve of the Civil War all interplayed in the psychology and prevailing discourse at the time with some particular emphasis on people you wouldn't usually associate with either Darwin or the war like the transcendentalist writers. Overall, very interesting read from what I've seen (I've got about 2/3 of the way done.) and would definitely recommend as a library checkout or if it goes to paperback or you find a decent digital price. I wouldn't pay hardcover list though.

So what else is everyone reading?

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:23 am

Post Re: Book Reviews
Sadly I don't have much time to read for pleasure or even read things that I choose, thanks to grad school and thesis work. I'm really enjoying reading a book for one of my classes though - Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer. She explores the use of indigenous ways of knowing the world and how that has conflicted with her identity as a scientist.

Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:30 am