Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

lalalalala

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Charlie Dees

lalalalala

Post by Charlie Dees »

NKC's seniors get out the same day as everyone else in NKC. This year that's the day before nationals, so our only senior Christine is flying up real early Saturday.

Funny story -
Yesterday our team had to go to some "NKC District Points of Pride" schoolboard meeting to get certificates and recognition for winning state. They read "team members were Christine Prezwodek, Brandon Roney, and Grant Gates" and gave those three certificates.

Also, our page on the yearbook (which says virtually nothing about NKC quizbowl being 5 million times better than any other NKC activity) has a giant picture of Jeremy and Jacob, easily our 2 worst JV players who I think quit in January or so, while our varsity has a couple tiny pictures. In the newspaper article on the front page about us winning state, there is also a gigantic picture of Jeremy and Jacob. No one who actually won state, just those two.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

hahaha. suckers.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

aww, my first class that asked about my connections to the school! i feel so touched. but i was proving a distraction from the oh-so-important study guide, so i quit answering when they asked my ACT score...haha

in other news, Ms. Camp said she looks around on here from time to time...who knew?

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: aww, my first class that asked about my connections to the school! i feel so touched. but i was proving a distraction from the oh-so-important study guide, so i quit answering when they asked my ACT score...haha

in other news, Ms. Camp said she looks around on here from time to time...who knew?
I feel like this post has one preceding it that I missed.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

i sub.

today i was at liberty high school, from which i graduated two years ago, and where my brother attends (err, until yesterday--seniors and all), and where my picture hangs twice in the entryway...the kids in my seventh hour got curious about making all these connections with me.

flycaitiee69

lalalalala

Post by flycaitiee69 »

I'm quite certain I can't be the only one on here who reads this, but I think pretty much all of you would enjoy this comic: xckd.com

I look forward to the thrice-weekly updates more than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy!

Charlie Dees

lalalalala

Post by Charlie Dees »

My new obsession:
WEBoggle
My username is chuq, and I suq at it, but I just started today. I've only done 4 by 4.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

i'm not gonna lie... i have no idea how to play boggle.

libertymark

lalalalala

Post by libertymark »

i suck at word games

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

i'm not great at them, generally. i like text twist on yahoo games a lot though.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

happy little blue square!

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

ashkenaziCD wrote: My new obsession:
WEBoggle
My username is chuq, and I suq at it, but I just started today. I've only done 4 by 4.
I know a linguistics professor at Truman who brags about her Boggle skills. It's funny.

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

flycaitiee69 wrote: I'm quite certain I can't be the only one on here who reads this, but I think pretty much all of you would enjoy this comic: xckd.com

I look forward to the thrice-weekly updates more than you can possibly imagine. Enjoy!
I love xkcd. It's an amazing webcomic. Along with:

Dinosaur Comic
Perry Bible Fellowship
Cyanide and Happiness
Married to the Sea
Diesel Sweeties
Questionable Content
Dresden Codak
Toothpaste for Dinner

(I read them all)

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

is it strange that the only webcomic i read is ctrl+alt+del, and...i don't game? haha

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

anyone remember where it was that we were discussing how some church sign used in an online church-sign-generating thing is actually located in clinton, mo?

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: anyone remember where it was that we were discussing how some church sign used in an online church-sign-generating thing is actually located in clinton, mo?
your mom's house

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: is it strange that the only webcomic i read is ctrl+alt+del, and...i don't game? haha
it's pretty general humor except for the random game-specific panels he sometimes does. (ps i forgot to add ctrl alt delete to my list)

also, i just wanted to post so we could have a 4-bagger of double postings.

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The best part of a thursday(or tuesday) what ever the woot thread is.

Historyman

lalalalala

Post by Historyman »

I tried free chess online, well aparently I was on a GrandMaster site and I was playing one, bottom line I had my arse handed to me.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

(subbing) i'm alone in an elementary school gym with an inflatable climbing wall and an inflatable obstacle course...students won't come back until one! you should come play with me! haha

flycaitiee69

lalalalala

Post by flycaitiee69 »

LibertyMarie wrote: (subbing) i'm alone in an elementary school gym with an inflatable climbing wall and an inflatable obstacle course...students won't come back until one! you should come play with me! haha
Dang. I wish I had seen this earlier, because I absolutely, with no hesitation, would have been there.

:(

On an unrelated note, one of my friends is in a contest. I helped him make a slideshow to go along with a song, and if his slideshow has the most views, he will win. Truthfully, this doesn't matter much to me, but I spent a lot of time helping him with it and he would really like to win. If you have a few free moments, could you please click this link and watch his slide show/listen to the song?

There is also a facebook group here if you want to join or want to invite anyone else to join. You'd be my hero if you passed this link along to someone you know, too!

Thanks, guys!

Ravi Fernando

lalalalala

Post by Ravi Fernando »

ashkenaziCD wrote:My new obsession:
WEBoggle
haha, I was the only one to find "oxid" a moment ago, even though I didn't know it's a word...

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

i just saw me some pirates.

aaarrrrrrrrrghhhhh.

Charlie Dees

lalalalala

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ravi Fernando wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:My new obsession:
WEBoggle
haha, I was the only one to find "oxid" a moment ago, even though I didn't know it's a word...
What's your username?

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

flycaitiee69 wrote: Dang. I wish I had seen this earlier, because I absolutely, with no hesitation, would have been there.

:(
I shan't lie, I thought about calling you, but I couldn't think of a legitimate way to get you into the building. It didn't help that it was Ridgeview, of all places, where parking/the entrance is on the opposite end of the building from the office...idk, makes everything seem kinda sketch.

haha, um, is it sad that I got completely lost in Ridgeview all day when, besides the fact that it's just L-shaped (shouldn't be so confusing), I SPENT TIME UP THERE in elementary school (one halfday/day a week from grades 2-4)...haha

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

flycaitiee69 wrote: I'm quite certain I can't be the only one on here who reads this, but I think pretty much all of you would enjoy this comic: xckd.com

lmao, this is great stuff!
i feel like such a horrible person laughing at things like the "clark gable" strip...

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

anyone read the kc star? check out page F3. that's all i have to say.

err...http://www.kansascity.com/potter/

jcarkeys

lalalalala

Post by jcarkeys »

LibertyMarie wrote: is it strange that the only webcomic i read is ctrl+alt+del, and...i don't game? haha
Yes, considering CAD is a terrible, terrible webcomic. It used to be funny and good, now it's just completely fallen by the wayside. Penny-Arcade is actually funny.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

I'm back, didja miss me???
p.s. last night I had a dream regarding people from this board. ...

S.C.Mitchell07

lalalalala

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

I need help. Ex keeps calling me, trying to lure me into being a rebound. Booooo!

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: I'm back, didja miss me???
p.s. last night I had a dream regarding people from this board. ...
which ones? and what kind of dream? you cannot leave out details like that, marie!

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: Ex keeps calling me, trying to lure me into being a rebound. Booooo!
Have you seen She's the Man? Because this makes me think of so many quotes from it. Best movie freaking ever...

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote:
S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: Ex keeps calling me, trying to lure me into being a rebound. Booooo!
Have you seen She's the Man? Because this makes me think of so many quotes from it. Best movie freaking ever...
Agreed. William Shakespeare makes for the best romantic comedies.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

William Shakespeare makes for the best romantic comedies.
very, very true.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Thank you. People are always skeptical about how amazing She's the Man is until they actually WATCH it...it's always good to find someone else who already has. haha.

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

jcarkeys wrote:
LibertyMarie wrote: is it strange that the only webcomic i read is ctrl+alt+del, and...i don't game?  haha
Yes, considering CAD is a terrible, terrible webcomic. It used to be funny and good, now it's just completely fallen by the wayside. Penny-Arcade is actually funny.
Its humor has gotten more mainstream, but that doesn't necessarily make it a worse comic. I've actually never really liked Penny Arcade myself... and it's not just because there's too much to read.

If you like Penny Arcade, though, you might like Dresden Codak: http://dresdencodak.com/

This is my personal favorite one: http://dresdencodak.com/cartoons/dc_031.htm

Seriously, how can you not love a comic titled "Dungeons & Discourse"? Unless you don't know anything about philosophy, I guess.

The panels are really only loosely connected, although there are one or two mini story arcs.

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

heehee, that was quite funny.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

I don't understand why things are so boring around here nowadays.
P.S. Today I interview for what sounds like a gosh-awful job, haha...maybe I should not take it. ...

East Buc & UMR

lalalalala

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I bet it is better than sweeping trash at WOF

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

it has been frustratingly boring around here lately.

i like your icon, marie. even though its not a cat :).

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Thanks.
You know, I used to be a huge Star Wars fan. Now I'm not. But at some point last semester I watched the original trilogy in three days...ooh, it's good stuff. (Other than the Special-edition/DVD-edition ending of ROTJ that makes me want to cry!!)

Story:
So the release/summer of Attack of the Clones was about the peak of my Star Wars fandom. At that point in my 14/15-year-old existence, I was all about the Hayden Christensen. Fast forward a couple years and I had become obsessed with Moulin Rouge and the divine beauty of Ewan McGregor (without having seen AOTC again). So, idk, sometime before ROTS I sat down to watch AOTC with some friends. We didn't get too far, but we got far enough to see the entrance of our favorite Jedi: Ewan McGregor AND Hayden Christensen. I was quite overwhelmed with the onscreen hawtness.

(And then I found five dollars.)

So, with that in mind, maybe I should take the time to rewatch the prequels, despite their somewhat inferior quality...mmm.

haha

DeckardCain

lalalalala

Post by DeckardCain »

Hooray for insomnia.

So, who else is ready for The Simple Life: LA County Jail?

:blink:

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

Poll: Would you go to an amusement park called EmoLand?

ecks

lalalalala

Post by ecks »

LibertyMarie wrote: Poll: Would you go to an amusement park called EmoLand?
Only if I could cut myself.

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

ecks wrote:
LibertyMarie wrote: Poll: Would you go to an amusement park called EmoLand?
Only if I could cut myself.
Well, the rides would be painfully hot (because they'd all be painted black), wouldn't that count?

redliberte

lalalalala

Post by redliberte »

would you have "costumed characters" running around in black eyliner?

LibertyMarie

lalalalala

Post by LibertyMarie »

well, the employee dress code would be girl pants, a band shirt, and black eyeliner.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

lalalalala

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: well, the employee dress code would be girl pants, a band shirt, and black eyeliner.
If they didn't have a dress code I'm sure a good chunk of WOF's staff would fall into this category

Charlie Dees

lalalalala

Post by Charlie Dees »

World of Fun, more like

Let's rob people!!!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

lalalalala

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote: World of Fun, more like

Let's rob people!!!
I prefer the misnomer "The People's Republic of Fun"