Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Boys State divergence

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Boys State divergence

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

MJones wrote:I work at the new GameStop in Rolla.
One of my roommates (Alex Noah) also works there

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

Cool. :p I haven't had a chance to work with him yet. Most of the new people are still going through training and only work with the managers.

ELADAMO89

Boys State divergence

Post by ELADAMO89 »

mike jones?
the mike jones?
the boys state gov?

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

Hahahaha!

:p

Yep, that's me.

What city were you in?

ELADAMO89

Boys State divergence

Post by ELADAMO89 »

carnahan
sparkman's a good friend of mine
(no grief ment in any way)

Charlie Dees

Boys State divergence

Post by Charlie Dees »

Should I call 281-330- 8004, or does 281-206-4336 work better now?

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

No, haha, Sparkman is a great guy. We still talk occasionally on Facebook and such.

He did a really good job considering how messed up his whole party was and the fact that he was the second candidate. If he would have won the primary and the whole controversy behind Alexander never happened, then we would have started on even ground instead of him having to dig himself out of a hole.

I also found out that Zach, the pinecone guy, plays for Savannah, and we are both in Class 3. I hope we get to play a few times this year. :p

NKCtrashman

Boys State divergence

Post by NKCtrashman »

Zach is a pretty decent player, Ive played against him many times and with him at ace camp the week after Boys State was over (I was in Richardson). Didnt know there was so many Boys State alums here.

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

You were in Richardson?! I was from Blair! :angry:

I'm just kidding. But seriously, our city hated you guys. :P

Yeah, I'm really excited to play Savannah though. Our team has had moderate success in the past, but we never really made it to an elite level. Of course, in the past we never really studied, so I am excited to see how much we can improve this year.

socalcaptain

Boys State divergence

Post by socalcaptain »

Ha, Boys State. Great times!

I went in '07. Doniphan 4 Ever!

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

socalcaptain wrote:Ha, Boys State. Great times!

Dude, the governor from 07' was... interesting. His voice sounded like Dave Chappelle's impersonation of a white guy.

mujason

Boys State divergence

Post by mujason »

I went in 2000, was in Duggan City, and was elected Chief Justice.

socalcaptain

Boys State divergence

Post by socalcaptain »

MJones wrote:
socalcaptain wrote:Ha, Boys State. Great times!

Dude, the governor from 07' was... interesting. His voice sounded like Dave Chappelle's impersonation of a white guy.
Josh Travis is amazing! I've actually elected him governor twice - once at Boys State and also at YMCA Youth in Government. He's studying Poli Sci at Mizzou.

NKCtrashman

Boys State divergence

Post by NKCtrashman »

dude you have reason to hate us. we had some nasty political tricks ... and a few raids in spartan regalia. not exactly model city, but we had a lot a fun.

MJones

Boys State divergence

Post by MJones »

Yeah, you didn't nominate anyone from your city for county commissioner, then when Blair split the vote between their two candidates, your city all wrote in someone. :P

Our guys were so mad all those times you raided us to. One of our big football player guys tackled one of the guys from your city when he was trying to run away. :)

I would hope Josh Travis is studying Poli Sci. He was an amazing speaker and politician, but he never switched off. Even the few chances we had an opportunity to speak one on one, he still talked and acted like he was trying to get my vote for something.

Charlie Dees

Boys State divergence

Post by Charlie Dees »

Since this got split off, the fraction of this thread that blows is now officially 1.

hugatree1715

Boys State divergence

Post by hugatree1715 »

I would hope Josh Travis is studying Poli Sci. He was an amazing speaker and politician, but he never switched off. Even the few chances we had an opportunity to speak one on one, he still talked and acted like he was trying to get my vote for something.
I guess we (that being Whitfield City of 2008) got to know Josh Travis better, considering he was one of our assistant counselors.
He did a really good job considering how messed up his whole party was and the fact that he was the second candidate.
Don't remind me...I was on that tanked party's ballot. I ran for Auditor, and since I had been working behind the scenes as Assistant Auditor (the 2007 elected Auditor that came back, Chase, was a bit of a lame duck), I thought I would have a great chance to win the general election. But then the Federalist party bombed...except for Mike "Bra-man" Revis, who won Lt. Gov. At least I had a few feature stories on the radio station...

And even though I was a Federalist, I voted for Mike Jones for Governor, and I didn't regret it.

Ford08

Boys State divergence

Post by Ford08 »

07 was fun. I voted travis. I was in Gambrel and was elected to the senate.

AShoaib

Boys State divergence

Post by AShoaib »

...the only thing I know about Boy's State is that my friends Mat Rose and Ryan Hartz (both from Eureka) went there.

I'm just going to say the reason I give for me not showing up there was that America was not ready for a Pakistani president/statesmen. Yes, I am playing the race card. And yes, I do think that I'm going to lose my seat at some big name school because of affirmative action.