Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

R-2 C-2

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
STPickrell

R-2 C-2

Post by STPickrell »

I remember Bill explained to me once what the R-2, C-2, etc. in school district names means (I think it's the number of times the district has changed its boundaries.) With that said, is there a reason why the districts display the R-2, C-1, etc., prominently in their names? I only got used to the idea of school districts not equivalent to county boundaries a few years ago so be gentle. :-)

Charlie Dees

R-2 C-2

Post by Charlie Dees »

Doesn't R mean reorganized? also, I think C means consolidated.

I really don't know why they would keep doing displaying it, and I doubt anyone does, but it's probably just one of those things nobody cares to change. On a similar note, it's against the law to eat ice cream on a chery pie in Kansas.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

R-2 C-2

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm also pretty certain that reorganized and consolidated are what they mean.

From what I've been able to find the R is an ordinal number of the district within the county. Like, when they reorganized the school districts, the current Lee's Summit school district was the 7th district in Jackson County, hence Lee's Summit R-VII.

The similar term in Kansas is Unified School District (USD)

Also, what is the significance of Liberty 53, NKCSD 74, Independence 30, KCMO 33, etc.?

STPickrell

R-2 C-2

Post by STPickrell »

So when'd they reorganize the districts? Thanks for the explanations. I guess I misunderstood what Bill said. USD seems to be the same thing as ISD in Texas which stands for Independent School District. Are most of the school districts with just numbers urban/suburban districts?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

R-2 C-2

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

STPickrell wrote: So when'd they reorganize the districts? Thanks for the explanations. I guess I misunderstood what Bill said. USD seems to be the same thing as ISD in Texas which stands for Independent School District. Are most of the school districts with just numbers urban/suburban districts?
I came across a page that said that school districts were reorganized in 1949

It seems that most number-only districts have a decent-sized main city that I would assume didn't require too much reorganization and thus wasn't really reoorganized. This is just a guess though

East Buc & UMR

R-2 C-2

Post by East Buc & UMR »

C is consolidated as in East Buchanan C-1

In 1969 Gower school district and Easton school district merge to form EB

From what I understood about the R's is the last time they redrew there boundary lines.

When I was in school Plattsburg was Clinton County RII they have seen added more students from Trimble and have changed to RIII.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

R-2 C-2

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote: I'm also pretty certain that reorganized and consolidated are what they mean.

From what I've been able to find the R is an ordinal number of the district within the county. Like, when they reorganized the school districts, the current Lee's Summit school district was the 7th district in Jackson County, hence Lee's Summit R-VII.

Also, what is the significance of Liberty 53, NKCSD 74, Independence 30, KCMO 33, etc.?
My best guess: historical alphabetized listing.

Jeffrey Hill

R-2 C-2

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote: I'm also pretty certain that reorganized and consolidated are what they mean.

From what I've been able to find the R is an ordinal number of the district within the county.  Like, when they reorganized the school districts, the current Lee's Summit school district was the 7th district in Jackson County, hence Lee's Summit R-VII.

My best guess: historical alphabetized listing.
Yeah I noticed the 4 I cited were in alphabetical order. There are others that don't match the pattern and there are actually a couple with the same number (I think 2 districts have "58")

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

R-2 C-2

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Come to think of it, the alphabetical theory doesn't work out entirely, as Center's #58.