Are you ready for the upcoming season?

Prepare for next season with thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use!Need buzzers? Apply for $250 buzzer grants to be awarded in early December!

Things that don't suck

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:54 pm

I haven't checked today, but as of yesterday the drop in oil prices had caused gas prices in Rolla to fall from $3.89 to... *drumroll* $3.86.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:04 pm

3.89 to 3.62 in ozark.

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

Ford08 wrote: 3.89 to 3.62 in ozark.
holy crap! and to think, i was amazed by it being 3.89 in harrisonville over the weekend.

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:51 pm

You guys would have pooed a brick then if you were in Chicago this weekend, where 4 dollars is impossibly cheap.

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:44 pm

I'm posting this from my new self-built computer running Ubuntu!

Things are running nicely so far except for the power supply in the case I got has some pretty short cables... my optical drive is currently upside down and not secured in place because the SATA power cable couldn't reach it otherwise, and another necessary power cable is so short that if I buy a video card (which I will eventually) I'll have to extend it as well... time to buy some extension cables!

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Sat Sep 20, 2008 11:53 am

ScoBo1987 wrote: I'm posting this from my new self-built computer running Ubuntu!
here's what i have to say to that.

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 pm

Time to convert a 22-minute TV episode from DVD to H.264 MPEG:
PowerPC G5 1.8 GHz - 4-5 hours
Intel Core 2 Duo @ 3.16 GHz - about 15 minutes

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:53 am

Poli Sci being cancelled for the third time in five classes. Now if Meagher would just cancel Friday's class as well.

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 am

DeckardCain wrote: Poli Sci being cancelled for the third time in five classes. Now if Meagher would just cancel Friday's class as well.
This. If it weren't canceled I'd be wearing a suit to class right now...

So far this week I've had 3 classes canceled and missed one due to the career fair... and yet this is still a busy week.

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:07 am

I'd have listed "having a test on the day of the career fair" under the things that suck thread, had I planned on attending the career fair anyway. Like anyone actually hires math majors anyway.

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:31 am

DeckardCain wrote: Poli Sci being cancelled for the third time in five classes. Now if Meagher would just cancel Friday's class as well.
On a similar note, my Monday-Wednesday Archery class being cancelled for the third Wednesday in a row.

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:55 pm

Not needing a cable box to get some HD channels over Fidelity Cable!!!! This is even more awesome because my TV tuner card's analog tuner kinda sucks.

AND MY CARD HAS 2 DTV TUNERS! I can record 2 things simultaneously!! This is so awesome

--edit again---
Guess it doesn't have two tuners... but I can record 2 programs on the same main channel simultaneously. Luckily CBS and NBC are 90#0 and 90#1, respectively.

--one more then I'll actually work on my homework--
And MythTV encodes it in MPEG instead of some stupid nonstandard format like it does with analog so I can view it in another program like VLC without having to first convert it. Though since it's HD it will take up a LOT of space (almost up to 500 MB in less than 5 minutes) so I won't be able to keep everything in full HD for too long.

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:10 am

Poli Sci 316 class cancellation count is now at 5.

This time, we didn't get notified until about 3 minutes after class was supposed to start.

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:56 am

My two classes for Tuesday next week were cancelled...they're with the same professor...but I'm giving her morning class their exam, so I'll have to be in a class nonetheless lol

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm

The fact that Joe Biden is coming to speak at Jewell. For seriously. Unfortunately, the rally is right smack in the middle of my organic chem lab... :(.

User avatar
L-Town Expatriate
Posts: 5944
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Things that don't suck

Post by L-Town Expatriate » Tue Oct 07, 2008 8:42 pm

redliberte wrote: The fact that Joe Biden is coming to speak at Jewell. For seriously. Unfortunately, the rally is right smack in the middle of my organic chem lab... :(.
Is your organic chem professor that conservative that he/she will deliberately not cancel thus preventing attendance without getting marked absent or sneered at for supposedly having leftist views?

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:17 pm

redliberte wrote: The fact that Joe Biden is coming to speak at Jewell. For seriously. Unfortunately, the rally is right smack in the middle of my organic chem lab... :(.
he's gonna be in Springfield Friday! no details yet though.

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:53 pm

Hey, I'm going to be in Springfield on Friday too. Awesome.

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Ok, so I did end up getting to go because we did a really short lab today and my 3:00 got canceled. Woohoo!

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:08 am

I'm going home to Caitlin instead of dealing with the hassle of seeing Biden! : )

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, I didn't get to see Biden today either, as I woke up with a horrendous migraine.










:(

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:09 pm

Biden might be the most honest politician ever. That is why he speaks like an idiot. He even said that Hillary would be a better VP than he would be, I’m pretty sure both the democratic candidates are pretty much incompetent.

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:39 pm

Ford08 wrote: I’m pretty sure both the democratic candidates are pretty much incompetent.
You mean, as opposed to a ticket consisting of one person who claims the fundamentals of the economy are strong and another who claims that she has foreign policy experience due to Alaska's proximity to Russia? Yeah, I see your point.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:14 pm

Or compared to one that has done next to nothing in his first term in the senate and cannot decide where he will stand on an issue which is basically lying to the American people and who supports income redistribution which is a socialistic ideal? What foreign policy experience does Obama have? None, he gave a speech in Berlin and vacationed in Europe and visited the middle east. Also there is Biden who has never done anything in his life except take up oxygen. Or you can choose a war hero with foreign experience, who knows the economy is in shambles and is ready and wanting to handcuff the ceo’s in charge.

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:17 pm

Ford08 wrote: Or compared to one that has done next to nothing in his first term in the senate and cannot decide where he will stand on an issue which is basically lying to the American people and who supports income redistribution which is a socialistic ideal? What foreign policy experience does Obama have? None, he gave a speech in Berlin and vacationed in Europe and visited the middle east. Also there is Biden who has never done anything in his life except take up oxygen. Or you can choose a war hero with foreign experience, who knows the economy is in shambles and is ready and wanting to handcuff the ceo’s in charge.
...What?

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:33 pm

Look it up my friend.

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:40 pm

Congratulations on making an overly simplistic and inaccurate description of the race. I suppose Barack Obama is a half-breed muslin too.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:49 pm

yes, no, yes. my information is not inaccurate man, sorry to disappoint.

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:51 pm

Yes, Barack Obama really is a piece of cloth.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:59 pm

perhaps he has one on his head, like all other muslims.

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:18 pm

Look, first off that is not true about Muslims (I know all kinds of muslims who don't wear headgear), second, you can not be a "half breed" of any religion other than that in Judaism (where you can still not practice but be considered a Jew). Your religion manifests itself in your practice of it. As best as we can tell, Barack Obama practices some form of Christianity (whether it is infused with black liberation theology is an entirely separate matter, as I am no fan of whatever it is Reverend Wright was preaching). Just because his father was likely an atheist raised as a Muslim does not effect Obama (who was not raised by his father, but by a non-religious mother). While the whole "he lived in a Muslim country" point has been made another rightist talking point, I find no evidence to believe that that affects his current religious practices of Christianity, especially since he attended Indonesian public schools and private Christian Schools and never any madras. If we're going to talk facts, talk facts and don't parrot straw men about nonexistant religious practices. Also, learn some actual facts about Islam.

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:21 pm

I had a longer response typed that pointed out how flawed Chad's post is, but since I figured nothing good was going to come out of this conversation now that the Muslim card has been played I'll just link to this site.

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:53 am


User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:04 am

Welcome to February 2008.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:18 pm

You can tell that to the 3 registered democrats of our 1365 registered Republican students here at C of O. Also, I do know quite a bit about Islam, it is a flawed religion in its foundation. There is no such thing as a half Jew, Aristotle puts it wonderfully in his discussion of actions,( for in none of man’s actions is there so much certainty as in his virtuous activities (which are more enduring than even scientific knowledge), and the most honorable of these are the most enduring because those who are BLESSED live according to them most of all and most continuously) Ethics 1100b 12-18, so therefore you either believe Jesus died for your sins, or he didn’t there is no playing the fence no matter what rhetoric people spout.

User avatar
scphilli
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by scphilli » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:21 pm

On an unrelated note but actually on topic:

Gas is now under $3 in STL!!! It's at $2.94 at the station on my corner!

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:10 pm

2. 55 in ozark baby!!

User avatar
Jeffrey Hill
Posts: 6402
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Jeffrey Hill » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:19 pm

On Sept. 29 I topped off in Rolla at 3.37 because my 5% cash back on gas on my Discover Card ended at the end of September. By the end of the week it had dropped at least 20 cents, cancelling out my savings. Oh well, that's what you get when you act as if it will keep rising.

When I went down to Arkansas this weekend I filled up at 2.59 in Springfield and filled up again at the same QT for 2.49 on the way up. Currently 2.76 in Rolla.

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:46 pm

Ford08 wrote: There is no such thing as a half Jew, Aristotle puts it wonderfully in his discussion of actions,( for in none of man’s actions is there so much certainty as in his virtuous activities (which are more enduring than even scientific knowledge), and the most honorable of these are the most enduring because those who are BLESSED live according to them most of all and most continuously) Ethics 1100b 12-18, so therefore you either believe Jesus died for your sins, or he didn’t there is no playing the fence no matter what rhetoric people spout.
Oh honey. Some one is teaching you Aristotle by way of medieval theology, and that's not good at all.

The ancient Greeks predated Christianity, and your interpretation of that passage is nowhere near what he's actually talking about-- the emphasis is more on virtuous action as a way of developing oneself to be the best person that one can be (in really simple terms), and "blessed" is definitely not used in the beatitute-type sense that you're going for. Also, how that relates to being Jewish in any percentage is lost on me.

Uh, so yeah, it's probably good to understand what you're quoting before you quote.

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:28 pm

things that do not suck:
HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL 3 SOUNDTRACK
so in love!

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:36 pm

Actually I’m right on the money, we talked about this passage in class the other day, and I figure that my Professor that has his doctorate in classical literature knows what he is talking about. Also, Greece does not predate the OT. Aristotle makes references to God, so before you start talking it is better to know what you are talking about and to know the quote as I do so thank you for your comment.

johnboy81918
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by johnboy81918 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:48 pm

Things that don't suck - the LOLs I experience by reading the past day or so worth of posts in this thread

LibertyMarie
Posts: 2416
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: MO

Things that don't suck

Post by LibertyMarie » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:00 am

hey, guys, let's calm down a little. trust me, i'm all for talkin' politics, but see also the "be nice" rule. it's fairly obvious we're not going to change each other's minds, so let's just move on.

things that don't suck:
TWILIGHT.

STPickrell
Posts: 433
Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:00 am
Location: Vienna, VA
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by STPickrell » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:37 am

Voting for McCain because Obama is pro-choice: acceptable

Voting for McCain because Obama is Muslim: in denial of reality

Voting for McCain in 2008 is akin to voting for Carter in 1980 or for Hoover in 1932.

Simply put, prosperity is not another tax cut around the corner.

User avatar
scphilli
Posts: 1972
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by scphilli » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:29 am

You know what else doesn't suck?

The fact is Obama will be our President.

Despite the racism on this board. Despite the fact that people are so incredibly ignorant they can't respond to a basic argument without insane ad hominem attacks. STL will win Obama MO. God knows if the Senate will be cloture-proof or not!

User avatar
redliberte
Posts: 425
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:00 am

Things that don't suck

Post by redliberte » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:46 am

scphilli wrote: STL will win Obama MO.
Not just STL. If the preponderance of Obama signs in Liberty and around the northland means anything, there may be more of the KC Metro area going blue in November than Jackson County...

User avatar
DeckardCain
Posts: 4422
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:00 am
Location: Viburnum, Missouri
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by DeckardCain » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:11 am

ScoBo1987 wrote: Poli Sci 316 class cancellation count is now at 5.

This time, we didn't get notified until about 3 minutes after class was supposed to start.
Now 6, and no advance notification this time either.

Ford08
Posts: 334
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Things that don't suck

Post by Ford08 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:09 pm

At least you get warned when your instructor doesn’t show. We get to do work for our educational pleasure when our instructors do not show...fun fun. Also, I do not deny that Obama will win the election, I do not feel that he is the best candidate for the office (and for that matter John McCain, Go Ron Paul) but I know he is going to win. Also though have you all been watching the economy? If you wish to do some short term buying I would say do that now and sell just before the election. The republican backing of the economy is going to try and make it look good for McCain to get more support, so that will make the economy look good but sell just before the election. *so says our economy teacher*

User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Things that don't suck

Post by Charlie Dees » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:29 pm

Go Ron Paul
SHOCKING!

User avatar
L-Town Expatriate
Posts: 5944
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Things that don't suck

Post by L-Town Expatriate » Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:06 pm

Rubber stamp makers making a rare profit come January 2009.

In all seriousness, I'm not convinced Obama's going to lead. Cloture-proof majority in the Senate and a majority in the House will put the balance of power back into a less-popular-than-Dubya Congress, led by Nancy Pelosi. And all Obama's going to do is sign her bills, no questions asked, and write memoirs reflecting on it as he prepares for certain re-election. Now, maybe Congress' ratings will go up with the same party running the White House causing less deadlock, but I'm not sold on Obama having the bona fide leadership needed to command the free world.

And yes, I wasted my vote on the Libertarian again. McCain's pervasive negativity as of late cost him my vote.

Post Reply