Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

things that suck...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Spending $4 to copy a 150 page reading in the library. I should have taken more advantage of the copier at work when I still had access to it.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hell that's damn cheap.

ZhangC1459

things that suck...

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Chemistry WebAssign assignments that require significant digits.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I got duped by the stupid bookstore again... if I didn't read the student eConnection I wouldn't have even known about any of this.

They had graduation announcement ordering yesterday and today; after I ordered them I told Mom and she went online and she found on the registrar's site that they have free announcements starting in late March. Oh well, I'm not paying for them (if it were up to me I wouldn't even order them at all)

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

The new name of this subforum.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD wrote:The new name of this subforum.
This.

Matt made that change, so you know to whom to direct further complaints. -_-

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Something that sucks--Having a close family member asking you when you're going to get married. Which my sister did at Thanksgiving dinner last year. :(

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I left my flash drive in the computer lab and it's not there anymore

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

THANKS LINUX!

So if you skip optional routine disk checks enough times, it will eventually FORCE you to do it on startup, and there's no way out of it. Of course, I have stuff that's supposed to start recording in 10 minutes... not the time to be forcing me to do this!

It looks like there might be something I can do to get it to do these stupid checks on shutdown instead of startup, which I should have done last time I researched this behavior.

Oh well, I'll survive.

---EDIT--- Yeah, I'll definitely survive. I got into the OS just in time...

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Apr 6 2009, 05:56:58 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Staples gift cards can't be used online, so my Discover cashback bonus giftcard that had to be mailed to my billing address in KC now has to be forwarded to here so I can buy an "approved" calculator to use on the FE in less than two weeks, and the one I want to get is now listed as "low stock" in Rolla, so it may be sold out by the time I get it. Kind of the complete opposite of "that was easy"!

I still have plenty of time to use a credit card online and have it shipped to the store or buy a different model if it's sold out, so no worries there. This is what I get for insisting on getting the extra $5 on the gift card (redeemed $20 cash back balance for a $25 gift card)

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

3 papers, 7 days. And I'll be in and out all weekend doing things that I had committed to ages ago. FML.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Webassign.

AethyricNomad

things that suck...

Post by AethyricNomad »

I don't know why I haven't posted this earlier, but a significant portion of my class seems to have recently discovered, or been introduced to, failblog.org, and constantly want to visit it, show it to a teacher, or randomly say "Fail" when it seems applicable. Now maybe I'm just demonstrating classic subcultural behavior (in the vein of "Now everyone does it and it sucks"), but I am not a big fan of failblog now - it was funnier when people weren't constantly talking about it or looking at it.

Thanks, video editing/web design teacher that showed her classes that! At least it's not like everyone in the school is quoting Internet memes (yet).

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Ok, so: My computer has been having some problems for the past week reconizing when it is plugged in to AC power. It usually takes me a few rounds of unplugging and replugging everything before I can get the computer to realize that the power cord is plugged in and its not just operating on battery. Last night, I was going to plug my computer into a wall outlet and I misjudged how much cord I have and dropped the computer. Now it won't recognize that it is plugged in at all, and moreover, the power port is really loose as is the connection between the plug and the port when I try to plug it in.

I did a little research, and I also talked to the IT guy at Jewell (who was a dbag) and we've come to the same conclusion-- the connection between the wire inside of the port and the circut board of the computer has somehow become awry. The IT guy thinks it is completly broken, and told me I would need to get a new motherboard which would cost >$300 (and I have about $30 in my checking account). I'm not sure that this is the case. My question to you all is: is there anyway I could find out what exactly went wrong? Is there any place in KC where I could go to get it fixed? If I were to take the back of the laptop off myself (which I don't have the tools to do, at least not on campus), what would I look for?

I've got a paper due on Monday and next week is finals week. It's essentially an FML, but I can write the paper in the computer lab (sucks) and I'm not that dependent on my laptop for my finals. At the very least if I have to buy a new computer (because if I have to get a new motherboard I might as well get a new computer, I was planning on doing so anyway this summer) I need to figure out a way to get all of my data off of my current computer in the 10 minutes of battery life it has remaining.

For your reference it's an Acer Aspire 5570Z (read: Chinese POS) and it is a little more than a year and a half old. Thanks all.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

redliberte wrote:I did a little research, and I also talked to the IT guy at Jewell (who was a dbag) and we've come to the same conclusion-- the connection between the wire inside of the port and the circut board of the computer has somehow become awry. The IT guy thinks it is completly broken, and told me I would need to get a new motherboard which would cost >$300 (and I have about $30 in my checking account). I'm not sure that this is the case. My question to you all is: is there anyway I could find out what exactly went wrong? Is there any place in KC where I could go to get it fixed? If I were to take the back of the laptop off myself (which I don't have the tools to do, at least not on campus), what would I look for?
Sounds like you may have already done this, but a quick Google search indicates that this has been a recurring problem with some Acer laptops. It sounds like this instance is similar to the conclusion you came to, so it sounds like a single resoldering of the broken connection would fix it. This would be the kind of thing you could find an individual to do for free. I'd be willing to look at it when I'm back home but given my very limited experience with soldering I'm probably not confident enough to attempt it myself. I do agree that just buying a new laptop would be more cost-effective than replacing the entire motherboard for a single bad connection.
I need to figure out a way to get all of my data off of my current computer in the 10 minutes of battery life it has remaining.
This shouldn't be nearly as difficult. It looks like the Acer Aspire 5570Z uses a 2.5" IDE (aka PATA) hard drive, and there are several USB enclosures available so that you can use the hard drive as an external drive from which you can retrieve the data. So if your end up getting rid of the broken computer, you can salvage the hard drive and use it as an external.

(the link above is a link to a product search page; if that doesn't work here's a link to a specific product)

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Yes, the first page is one I found during my research. That sounds pretty much like what has happened. The problem is finding someone to actually do the repair... I've got one friend who thinks he can do it, but it won't be until the summer. At that point, it'll just be sheer frustration over the situation driving me to get it fixed, not because of actual necessity. I'm leaning towards the new computer option-- I was thinking of buying one anyway at the end of the summer, so this just gives me a little more push in that direction. Thank you for the information on the hard drive. I've been casually looking for an external anyway, so I'll keep that in mind.

carpenoctem63141

things that suck...

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

Asdfjkl; AP Physics Mechanics.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Dude I think I 3'd the AP B. Everyone else at PCH (who all took the AP C Mech) thought it was really tough.

FishyFreshman

things that suck...

Post by FishyFreshman »

I got a 5 on the B test last year. I decided I didn't want to spend the time trying to study for one of the C tests.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

I only took the class for 1 semester, and Mrs. Michael told me to just learn the stuff we didn't cover by myself. But I didn't because I don't care because I am ready to be donnnnnnnnnne.

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

Tornado hit Kirksville tonight -
http://www.kirksvilledailyexpress.com/h ... x529240185

Ravi's fine - he can keep us updated with more pertinent info, I'm sure.

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Something that sucks--getting lost in a nature park that I know like the back of my hand. I was trying to find my way back to a hiking trail along the Missouri River in north St. Louis County yesterday, and got lost in some high weeds. :( But I was able to extricate myself and made a new friend in the process. :)

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

things that suck...

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

My apparent world (Missouri) tour. I've been to Warrensburg twice, Branson, Columbia three times, and St. Louis over the summer. It's not as bad as it could have been though, Panama City was awesome. :D

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Having a week-long cold. I'm tired of sounding like I'm from New England. Where they pahk the cah. :P

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Federer's serve vs. del Potro.

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Made a nice pot of ham and beans this afternoon. Very tasty! :D Made some cornbread to go with it, but it tasted like cardboard. :( I make great beans (I'm a great cook), but my cornbread leaves a lot to be desired.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Chad Pennington injury. : (

KentB

things that suck...

Post by KentB »

Marshawn Lynch returning from suspension...bad for Fred Jackson's fantasy numbers.
On a similar note: Clinton Portis.

scphilli

things that suck...

Post by scphilli »

This ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTx2yNmHdgA

Seriously, someone slap this girl.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The latest episode of The Office. One of my favorite shows of all time... probably the most painful-to-watch episode of ANY TV show I've ever seen.

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

The end of the Cardinals game.

DIoanis

things that suck...

Post by DIoanis »

Mizzou giving up the game to Nebraska in the 4th quarter like that :angry:

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

This was not a good day to be a sports fan in Missouri.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Bad times.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Blaine Gabbert. That's what Mizzou gets for taking their quarterback from Parkway West....

scphilli

things that suck...

Post by scphilli »

More like a bloodbath...

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

My Internet at the moment...

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

Accidentally oversleeping and missing BOTH of your Friday classes because you just forgot to set an alarm before you fell asleep.

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

The Quidditch World Cup is Sunday, and I'm too busy to watch it!

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

socalcaptain wrote:Accidentally oversleeping and missing BOTH of your Friday classes because you just forgot to set an alarm before you fell asleep.
Alex Dzurick, for not checking his PMs. :P

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

DeckardCain wrote:Alex Dzurick, for not checking his PMs. :P
Matt Chadbourne, for putting that sarcastic smiley face at the end of that post.

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

And, Mizzou football. Tonight was a disaster. Way to make Homecoming special...

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Canker sores! I've had this darn thing since last week, and it hurts like (insert painful simile here). :angry:

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Paul, may I suggest Listerene? It will hurt like the dickens while you are using it, but it will make it numb.

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

redliberte wrote:Paul, may I suggest Listerene? It will hurt like the dickens while you are using it, but it will make it numb.
I always use Listerine daily. It does help some. :)

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

Brad Lidge

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

Nearly forgetting the birthday of the woman I'm seeing. :(

Her birthday was yesterday, and I kept reminding myself for weeks to contact her yesterday, and I still forgot it till 8:30 last night. :(

WillHack

things that suck...

Post by WillHack »

Hey, but the fact that you eventually remembered is good!

PenforPrez

things that suck...

Post by PenforPrez »

WillHack wrote:Hey, but the fact that you eventually remembered is good!
Exactly. Better late than never. :)

socalcaptain

Re: things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

The following statement from Mike Alden:

http://www.columbiatribune.com/news/200 ... gets-navy/

"Last week, MU estimated that it would receive $1,349,500 designated for traveling expenses for playing in the Insight, compared to just $877,100 for the Texas Bowl, a difference of about $470,000. That's the difference, Alden said, in traveling the band or spirit squad." (emphasis my own)