Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

things that suck...

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Apple and the *#()*)(#*%)(#*()%&#*(%&*#(%& iPhone, and especially the App Store.

All I've seen on my RSS feeds the last few weeks are stupid stories about how Apple rejects applications for the App Store for the stupidest reasons. Like a mail app that's optimized for Gmail, but it was rejected because its apparent similarity to Apple's built-in mail app would cause "user confusion". The most recent thing that caused me to post this? They are now explicitly stating in rejection letters that the details of the rejection are covered by the Non-Disclosure Agreement. It's insane how developers will jump through hoops for Apple just because of the huge amount of business they would lose if they didn't.

My power supply failing seems to be a huge blessing in disguise. My experience with Ubuntu thus far has been great. I don't think I'm ever buying another Apple computer (or another iPod either, as long as my current one holds out.)

AShoaib

things that suck...

Post by AShoaib »

Ah, Ubuntu... my PC here died on me (Windows had a corrupt system file), so I couldn't run Windows. In order to save my harddisk, I had to use an Ubuntu 7 Live CD and save all the important files on an external disk... thereby saving 4 years of work and rescuing my music collection.

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

ScoBo1987 wrote: I don't think I'm ever buying another Apple computer (or another iPod either, as long as my current one holds out.)
oh my gah, that's so sad!!! you loooved apple!!!

:(

more things that suck:
um...
having more reading to do than is humanly possible to keep up with. yeah. lol

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

and Chicago-style. I HATE Chicago-style. (i'm currently at work, where i'm supposed to be formatting a bunch of articles into Chicago, but instead i'm avoiding it with the assistance of teh interwebs.)

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

and Drury's new no-hard-liquor-on-campus rule.
mmk i'm done for now.

:)

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Mizzou of all places is a dry campus!

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

So apparently the thing that sucks the most is the Power Management Unit in the Mac. If the Wikipedia article is to be believed, it sounds like it got corrupt and resetting it solved my problem, and thus it wasn't a bad power supply. I reset the PMU when I opened the computer up to take a look at the motherboard, but in my infinite brilliance I didn't test it before taking it to IT, fearing that it was actually a bad power supply and that running it more than necessary would screw something else up. Therefore, if this is what actually happened, I paid for 1/2 hour "labor" to find out I already solved the problem. Wonderful.

Still doesn't change the fact that I officially hate Apple now.

*labor (n.) turning the computer on, putting a disk in, running a test. yeah, that's $22.50 worth of work

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

My CpE 315 class.

- It's a Thursday night class from 7-9:30. Of course, The Office happens to air during this time...
- The teacher is actually in St. Louis so we are sitting in front of a computer screen looking at a Powerpoint. At least we're able to get on the Internet with ease.
- Today, we're trying to ask questions about the assignment we're supposed to be doing. He wasn't receiving any e-mails we sent him throughout the week. So in class today, the mics were disabled so he couldn't hear us. Once the tech guy monitoring the teleconference got them enabled, we would ask a question and he would interrupt before the question was finished and would almost always misunderstand the question.

Only 40 minutes left of this...

Another thing that probably sucks: hearing me complain about pretty much everything in this thread.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

The Nobel Prize committee sure is sucking right now. Who the hell is Leclezio?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

things that suck...

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote: The Nobel Prize committee sure is sucking right now. Who the hell is Leclezio?
Not an American, that's for sure.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Thanks Newegg... today only, with a promo code they're offering another $30 off the monitor I bought last week... and I bought it then because the $20 discount they offered last Sunday was "special weekend savings" that turned out to be reinstated a couple days later.

Oh well, doesn't change that this monitor is awesome.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Essay exams... specifically ones in classes that get canceled frequently. At least this one might be slightly more manageable than the last one (which I don't even have back yet), though I haven't been able to start preparing for it yet

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Oct 19 2008, 11:22:06 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote:Essay exams... specifically ones in classes that get canceled frequently.
Hmm, I wonder which class you're talking about.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Did he hand back the first test on Friday (or did you even have class?)

I could be better prepared for this test since the prompts are more specific than the one on the last test but with only an hour or so of preparation it's probably not going to end well.

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

I didn't go to class on Friday.

I think everything should go okay except for the "compare/contrast presidents" bit. I've got a couple of differences between Jefferson and Adams scribbled down, but can't come up with anything else.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

He must have discussed the content of that last question in class on Friday because I had no idea on it. I'm sure it was in the book somewhere but when he doesn't explicitly tell us what to read it's hard to know what to study.

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, I missed the day he talked about that too.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The interpretation of the Missouri Sunshine Law that requires Liberty Public Schools to release the list of e-mail addresses on their mailing list. I'm pretty sure that's the reason I just got a political rebuttal to something that was in last week's QuickNews.

Basically, the spam said that the LPS newsletter mentioned a report from our state senator that apparently shows the district as receiving more state revenue than it actually does receives. The rebuttal is quite possibly correct in the district using QuickNews for political purposes, which would be another thing that sucks; it's the unsolicited e-mail from the campaign that primarily sucks.

Is this thread ready to be renamed to "Jeffrey complains about anything and everything" yet?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

things that suck...

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote:The interpretation of the Missouri Sunshine Law that requires Liberty Public Schools to release the list of e-mail addresses on their mailing list. I'm pretty sure that's the reason I just got a political rebuttal to something that was in last week's QuickNews.

Basically, the spam said that the LPS newsletter mentioned a report from our state senator that apparently shows the district as receiving more state revenue than it actually does receives. The rebuttal is quite possibly correct in the district using QuickNews for political purposes, which would be another thing that sucks; it's the unsolicited e-mail from the campaign that primarily sucks.

Is this thread ready to be renamed to "Jeffrey complains about anything and everything" yet?
Re-elect LuAnn Ridgeway (who, as the sole female lawmaker on the senate health committee, staunchly opposed a bill legalizing midwifery in Missouri a few years back) and you might see that loophole closed. And a few others that turns the Sunshine Law into the Shade-Tree-Next-To-A-Cinder-Block-Wall-Ten-Feet-Tall Law.

Then again, I voted for Sandra Aust because had the Ridgeway-Taveau amendment that would increase a school district's bond capacity to 20% from 15% passed awhile back, several schools (including Liberty) could be in deeper water with the way the economy is now.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Argh Triple Q....

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Were these in a Liberty practice? Argh indeed.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Were these in a Liberty practice? Argh indeed.
Yeah... stupid LSN JV. It's not going to help them at all practicing on that crap.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

Dumb high school students who, with their ignorance and lack of tact, are probably only going to succeed at making things worse for themselves.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 556&ref=nf

and

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 934&ref=nf

Granted, it's a crappy situation, but what are you going to do? At least they go to a school where Fine Arts is respected (to the tune of twice the budget for athletics)... All this is doing is further perpetuating the image of of Liberty as snooty rich kids, not actually solving any problems.

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

things that suck...

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

Things that suck:

Dustbusters
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Stupid clunky controls)
Detroit Lions (seriously, I could name fifteen college teams no one has ever heard of that could beat these guys; congratulations Lions, you WILL go 0-16)

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

The University of Oklahoma.

scphilli

things that suck...

Post by scphilli »

redliberte wrote:Dumb high school students who, with their ignorance and lack of tact, are probably only going to succeed at making things worse for themselves.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 556&ref=nf

and

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=ho ... 934&ref=nf

Granted, it's a crappy situation, but what are you going to do? At least they go to a school where Fine Arts is respected (to the tune of twice the budget for athletics)... All this is doing is further perpetuating the image of of Liberty as snooty rich kids, not actually solving any problems.
Clicking on that second link, what precisely is a "budget cute"?

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

socalcaptain wrote:The University of Oklahoma.
The BCS in general.

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

Mizzou's football season this year.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

scphilli wrote:Clicking on that second link, what precisely is a "budget cute"?
Someone who is obviously functionally illiterate creating a group on Facebook, evidently.

LibertyMarie

things that suck...

Post by LibertyMarie »

redliberte wrote:Someone who is obviously functionally illiterate creating a group on Facebook, evidently.
everybody makes mistakes, everybody has those days, everybody knows what i'm talkin' 'bout, everybody gets that way

[/hannah montana]

but, yeah. i agree, steph, it's not necessarily being handled in an appropriate manner.

and as for me, personally, the details of the programs, whatever, more of an issue is the jobs that will be lost...such as, say, the fine arts secretary. taking away the possibly less-than-on-top-of-things fine arts coordinator's administrative assistance will be just as detrimental to LPS fine arts as groups xyz getting to go on a few less trips...

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

There's a job called Fine Arts secretary? I certainly hope that person does some education too.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

UMR's Oracle server and everything about the CS 238 project that's due Wednesday that we haven't really been able to start on. Of course, it's mostly our fault for starting WAY too late but it'd be nice to have better documented methods of connecting to the server and troubleshooting problems...

scphilli

things that suck...

Post by scphilli »

things that suck...

The New NBC Schedule, as seen below:

9:00-10:00 p.m. The Jay Leno Variety Hour
10:00-10:35 p.m. News
10:35-11:35 p.m. The Tonight Show with Conan O' Brian :D
11:35 p.m. to 12:35 a.m. Late Night with Jimmy Fallon :huh:
12:35 a.m. to 1:35 a.m. Last Call with Carson Daly (everyone is asleep already because of Jimmy Fallon)
1:35 a.m. to 5:00 a.m. The Billy Mays Marathon :lol:
5:00 to 7:00 News
7:00 to 11:00 Today Show with Jay Leno
12:00 News
1:00-3:00 The Late Today Show with Conan O' Brian
3:00 to 4:00 Jays of Our Lives
4:00 to 5:00 Jay or No Jay
5:00-5:30 News
5:30-6:00 Nightly News with (Conan O') Brian Williams
6:00-6:30 News
6:30-7:30 Fallons, the new Heroes
7:30-9:00 The Jay Leno Variety Show Pre-Game

Long post, but absolutely worth it.
Note: may not be order of set for everyone, but everyone will still see the SAME THING, SAYS ME, DICK EBERSOL, LORD AND MASTER OF ALL PROGRAMMING! HA HA HA (evil laugh)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... 41/'>Fresh Prince of Bradleyville</a>, Dec 16 2008, 05:37:28 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

things that suck...

Post by DeckardCain »

the last ramsfan wrote:3:00 to 4:00 Jays of Our Lives
4:00 to 5:00 Jay or No Jay
Also Everybody Loves Jay, as they might as well pick up previously-ended shows from other networks.

hugatree1715

things that suck...

Post by hugatree1715 »

I was fired due to my lack of availability due to tournaments on most Saturdays and my two-and-a-half week trip to France in March, which will cause me to miss additional tournaments. Well technically, I wasn't fired--I chose to quit after being told that I was too unavailable. Oh well, now I will have approximately 18-20 hours a week restored for leisure, homework, etc. However, I was told that this summer, if I am available, I will have a job instantly, no questions asked.

You know, it was really odd to watch my manager almost come to tears telling me that I was such a great addition to the team, though she could do nothing because the owners of the store demanded that I had to go in order to free up the payroll.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... ree1715</a>, Jan 4 2009, 12:12:40 PM.</div>

things that suck...

First: Boston College

I see a wrongful termination lawsuit for Jeff Jagodzinski, who was only fired as head football coach for interviewing with the Jets.

Second: Detroit Lions

For those who thought it wouldn't happen... SURPRISE! Man, you MUST stink if you can't even get a better record than the Rams. 2009 Season Predicition: Lions break the NFL record losing streak losing 29 straight before they get a W.

Third: VH1 Top 100 Hardest Rocking Songs of All Time

For all those who love their classic rock music. VH1 had a countdown of the greatest ones of all time. 500,000 people voted, and they, in my opinion, got it wrong!!! Here are some notable snubs from the top 100.

Whitesnake: Here I Go Again
Guns & Roses: Sweet Child O' Mine
Black Sabbath: Iron Man

Top 20:
36. Cat Scratch Fever, from the Motor City Madman
23. Crazy Train, Ozzy Ozbourne

And now the greatest outrage of all... the Top 10
10. Ace of Spades (Motorhead)
9. Breaking the Law (Judas Priest)
8. Walk This Way (Aerosmith)
7. Smells Like Teen Spirit (Nirvana)
6. Won't Get Fooled Again (The Who)
5. Enter Sandman (Metallica)
4. Paranoid (Black Sabbath)
3. Whole Lotta Love (Led Zepplin)
2. Back in Black (AC/DC)
1. Welcome to the Jungle (Guns & Roses)

Personally, only half of these songs would make my list, and definitely NOT: Breaking the Law, Won't Get Fooled Again, Paranoid. The rest are okay... but Nirvana, in my opinion, should be number one.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Coming back to Rolla to find out the fridge is apparently broken, so we had to throw out a bunch of food.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

...and now we have no water. It was on when we got back but now it's not working.

[edit] for whatever reason the landlord had shut off the main line in the basement while we were gone... it's working now. Props to RMU for friendly service in figuring out the problem even when it wasn't their fault.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Jan 10 2009, 06:45:45 AM.</div>

Charlie Dees

things that suck...

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm scared to go back because I'm afraid I left some food out or something in my apartment.

FishyFreshman

things that suck...

Post by FishyFreshman »

The Who is legendary and I think Won't Get Fooled Again deserves a spot on the top 10. Welcome to the Jungle however, has no place in the top 30.

ajax

things that suck...

Post by ajax »

MSHSAA in quiz bowl

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

In practice today, accidentally answering "Denmark" for Greenland. Again. (I did the same thing at the Smithville tournament my senior year)

FishyFreshman

things that suck...

Post by FishyFreshman »

Getting up early for tournaments >.<

things that suck...

Egg bashes to raise money for your senior trip when you don't need them to go. :(

socalcaptain

things that suck...

Post by socalcaptain »

Kaplan Test Prep Centers and their ridiculous, rude, and unprofessional approach to hiring practices. (Long story...)

BeholdIndecision

things that suck...

Post by BeholdIndecision »

Forgetting that tomorrow isn't just a JV tournament.

Lame.
2 hours of sleep.

This didn't happen yesterday, but I just haven't had the time to add it to the list.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Being the moderator when I could have answered an 8 line question in the second line, and definitely no later than the middle of the third line.

redliberte

things that suck...

Post by redliberte »

The filling on my right front tooth (that I broke in half in a bike wreck this summer) falling off into my hand at Panera today. I'll be stuck snaggletoothed until Monday morning.

Jeffrey Hill

things that suck...

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ignore this post if you don't care about my Ubuntu antics. Maybe I should just start a new thread called Jeff's Blog or something.

I rarely delete software installers I download. This evening is a fine example of why.

I had to put a sketch of a graph in a lab report. Instead of doing it the simple way (just sketch it on paper and scan it), I had to do it the nerdy way and use my roommate's graphics tablet and draw it in GIMP. Of course, the tablet didn't work natively in Ubuntu, so I Googled instructions to install it. Of course, I end up throwing several different sets of instructions at it when it continues to not work, and somehow, I ended up messing up my video driver (which may or may not have anything to do with modifying a file called xorg.conf). So I spent about 2 hours trying to revert my changes, including downloading the latest driver from nvidia's website. Needless to day, after several cycles of uninstalling anything nvidia I can find and then running the driver installer, I finally decide to look in my "old stuff" folder and see if I have an old installer. I did, so I ran it and instantly everything is back to normal.

I'm guessing what happened is when I added stuff to the xorg.conf file it screwed it up, and to try to fix it I accidentally installed an unofficial nvidia driver which conflicted with the official one; even after removing all the unofficial drivers, the new driver (x86_64 180.29) apparently doesn't work, or at least conflicted with some stray files on my computer. The driver I used originally (x86_64 177.80) works fine. This is on a 64 bit installation of Ubuntu Hardy (8.04) with a GeForce 8600 for anyone troubleshooting their installation who happens to stumble upon this board.

Oh, and the tablet works natively in Mac OS 10.4 - could have just used the purchased copy of Photoshop on there and been done with it.