Looking for study material?
Prepare for next season with thousands of packets FREE for study and practice use from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
Need a new buzzer system? Apply for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:06 pm



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Vegetarianism 
Author Message

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
I'm just curious... I read somewhere (I don't remember the source) that said gifted people were more likely to go vegetarian than other "groups" (that's not terribly good wording... I can't remember how the article was presented, either).

Has anyone here experimented with going veg? Has anyone even been a little curious? I've been vegetarian for the last two years, and I want to know if I am not alone in the realm of Academic Competition.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:13 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004
Posts: 6322
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Vegetarianism
No, have never been, will never be. Sorry


Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:15 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007
Posts: 422
Post Vegetarianism
i know its really healthy to go veg if you do it right, but i just like meat too much. i don't think i could do it.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:35 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
No, have never been, will never be. Sorry

Quote:
i don't think i could do it.


And that's perfectly OK. Not everyone would enjoy abstaining from meat. I've never really liked any type of red meat, so it was not that much of a jump for me.

On another note (just in case anyone asks), I didn't create this topic to say "You have no willpower if you can't go vegetarian" or "All of you are going to be fat and unhealthy if you don't go vegetarian", but just to get input.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:52 pm
Profile
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004
Posts: 6322
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Vegetarianism
hugatree1715 wrote:
I didn't create this topic to say "You have no willpower if you can't go vegetarian" or "All of you are going to be fat and unhealthy if you don't go vegetarian", but just to get input.

Thanks

Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet; glad you're not one of them


Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:54 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet

I wholeheartedly agree. I can't stand anyone who strongly presses their own beliefs on other people (about anything from politics to religion to sports, etc.).


Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:01 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Vegetarianism
If it didn't moo or oink, I ain't touching it.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 6:27 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007
Posts: 422
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
Quote:
Those who DO say that kind of thing are among the most annoying people on the planet
I wholeheartedly agree. I can't stand anyone who strongly presses their own beliefs on other people (about anything from politics to religion to sports, etc.).

ditto. it is an interesting thing to talk about though, vegetarianism. michael, do you go all the way on the vegetarian spectrum to being a vegan? i guess i'm curious too.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:14 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
do you go all the way on the vegetarian spectrum to being a vegan?


Sorry, I just couldn't give up the dairy section. I love cheeses and yogurt; I try to avoid eggs, but so many things have eggs cooked into them that I don't get worried if something has egg ingredients. The technical term for this is "Ovo-lacto vegetarianism".

Quote:
it is an interesting thing to talk about though, vegetarianism.


I thought it would be an interesting thing to discuss; I hatched the idea of a Vegetarianism topic while mowing the lawn today.


Thu Apr 19, 2007 8:31 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Vegetarianism
scphilli wrote:
If it didn't moo or oink, I ain't touching it.

Mine need to go baah.

I'm not at all vegetarian. I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE steak more than Chris Ray (that one's for Bill). BTW he's making a bid for MSHSAA state next year, last I spoke to him.

As for increasing intelligence or whatever, I don't know if that's true but I do know you can make a survey say almost anything.


Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:14 am
Profile

Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2005
Posts: 901
Location: Creve Couer, MO
Post Vegetarianism
sometimes i am veg-curious ..... aren't we all though, sometimes ?


Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:42 pm
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
As for increasing intelligence or whatever


Don't misrepresent the data... It would make no sense to say that going vegetarian makes one more intelligent; it said that people who are more educated/intelligent were more likely to go vegetarian.

I'll look for the article.


Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:00 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
I'm only vegetarian when the dorm cafeteria has nothing in the meat area other than day-old hamburgers and stuff that looks like the vomit of a very old, possibly diabetic, alley cat.


Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:49 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Vegetarianism
One of the most annoying debate partners I had in college was a strict vegetarian. So we had to go from restaurant to restaurant to make sure there was something she could eat, which when you're doing a tournament in Denver which is steakhouse heaven or Kansas, it gets kinda impossible unless you give up and go to Panera.

She also never caught on to the flaw in her logic that it was wrong to eat animals, but OK to wear leather belts and shoes. And I think this is my real problem with vegetarianism. Very few practicioners doing it for non-religious, because eating animals is WRONG!!! reasons are internally consistent with it.


Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:13 am
Profile

Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007
Posts: 13
Post Vegetarianism
I tried vegetarianism a few times. I kept on reverting back to meat. Last time I tried though I've stayed away from red meat though I still eat chicken and fish. Not vegetarian pollo-pescetarian to be more like it. Stuck with it for four-and-a-half years though.


Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:25 pm
Profile

Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007
Posts: 113
Location: Saint Louis
Post Vegetarianism
scphilli wrote:
One of the most annoying debate partners I had in college was a strict vegetarian.  So we had to go from restaurant to restaurant to make sure there was something she could eat, which when you're doing a tournament in Denver which is steakhouse heaven or Kansas, it gets kinda impossible unless you give up and go to Panera.

She also never caught on to the flaw in her logic that it was wrong to eat animals, but OK to wear leather belts and shoes.  And I think this is my real problem with vegetarianism.  Very few practicioners doing it for non-religious, because eating animals is WRONG!!! reasons are internally consistent with it.

Mm, but performative contradictions are great!


Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:02 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007
Posts: 86
Location: Kirksville
Post Vegetarianism
I've been vegetarian for a year and a quarter or so. My brother kind of talked my whole family into it (except my dad, who was already vegetarian) when he went vegan after attending MSA.

-Ravi


Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:06 pm
Profile

Joined: Sun Feb 18, 2007
Posts: 57
Post Vegetarianism
PETA, People for the Eating of Tasty Animals. I am a life long member.


Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:33 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
I've been vegetarian for a year and a quarter or so. My brother kind of talked my whole family into it (except my dad, who was already vegetarian) when he went vegan after attending MSA.


I'm going to MSA this year, but I don't think I will end up transitioning to veganism (but I won't close my options off).


Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:25 pm
Profile

Joined: Tue May 01, 2007
Posts: 20
Post Vegetarianism
I've been a vegetarian since freshman year (4 years ago) and love it. I also don't eat cheese or drink milk, but I do eat eggs and ice cream. I used to love meat, especially salami, but after the first week you get really used to it.

Note: everyone should go veg at MSA. It's almost obligatory. I went vegan the three weeks, it was fun.


Mon May 07, 2007 8:12 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
Why is MSA special? Do they stick you in a room and make you feel sick while they play pictures of people eating sausages, a la Clockwork Orange?


Mon May 07, 2007 10:04 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
Yeah, I'm a little perplexed by this profound MSA-vegetarian/vegan connection, I'm not gonna lie.


Mon May 07, 2007 10:20 am
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006
Posts: 1880
Location: St. Louis, MO
Post Vegetarianism
It's actually the video of how KFC kills its chickens.


Mon May 07, 2007 10:47 am
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006
Posts: 433
Location: Vienna, VA
Post Vegetarianism
ecks wrote:
Why is MSA special? Do they stick you in a room and make you feel sick while they play pictures of people eating sausages, a la Clockwork Orange?

Anything's better to the tune of Beethoven's Ninth.


Mon May 07, 2007 10:50 am
Profile YIM

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
scphilli wrote:
It's actually the video of how KFC kills its chickens.

aah. Yeah, that wasn't part of my MSA experience.


Mon May 07, 2007 1:10 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
I'm not sure what connection there is between MSA and vegetarianism, but on the letter I recently received, I was told that there would be vegetarian food available, so the staff must expect some people to try it, or expect that some are already vegetarian.


Mon May 07, 2007 1:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
Well, yeah, out of 330 young people, there are going to be a few vegetarians. I could name people with whom I went to MSA who were vegetarian/vegan...that was not because they went to MSA.


Mon May 07, 2007 1:58 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
I could name people with whom I went to MSA who were vegetarian/vegan...that was not because they went to MSA.


That would be a little silly to go vegetarian "Just because everyone else at MSA is doing it!"


Mon May 07, 2007 4:30 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
lol, I agree. I just seemed to get the impression that people were saying that on the previous page.

Anyhow...one of my roommates is a vegetarian, and another just doesn't like red meat. I don't eat much meat (I'm poor) (and a lazy cook), but I'm not going to refuse to eat it or anything. idk. I think what I expressed to Lisl is that I'm a "sympathetic omnivore."


Mon May 07, 2007 4:54 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
I'm a "sympathetic omnivore."

I've pretty much been that my whole life; I've never really liked red meat, but giving up chicken was pretty tough in the beginning.


Mon May 07, 2007 7:31 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
Does anyone else find it ironic the subtitle of this thread is 'It's not just for hippies!' and the thread starter's name is "hugatree"?


Mon May 07, 2007 10:40 pm
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Vegetarianism
You're a hobo.


Tue May 08, 2007 5:12 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
Does anyone else find it ironic the subtitle of this thread is 'It's not just for hippies!' and the thread starter's name is "hugatree"?

I wouldn't classify myself as a hippie, but I am definitely conservation-minded. There's quite a disparity between the two. As for the subtitle, I was attempting to stress that anyone can become vegetarian, not just hippies (they have gained some notoriety for being granola-munching, in addition to many things), and I was trying to inject a little bit of humor into the topic. Maybe the latter didn't work so well.

Quote:
You're a hobo.

Is that referring to me?


Tue May 08, 2007 5:29 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
hugatree1715 wrote:
I was trying to inject a little bit of humor into the topic. Maybe the latter didn't work so well.

Irony is a type of humor :)

Quote:
You're a hobo.

http://photos-481.ak.facebook.com/ip002/v4...796481_6138.jpg

Yes, yes I am.


Tue May 08, 2007 6:26 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Vegetarianism
I thought that whole thing was pretty funny, although at first I thought you all were actually, you know...


Tue May 08, 2007 6:31 am
Profile

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)


Tue May 08, 2007 9:04 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
ashkenaziCD wrote:
I thought that whole thing was pretty funny, although at first I thought you all were actually, you know...

Haha. No, we were both clothed for the shoot.

Quote:
umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)


Nothing's wrong with being a hippie, I just thought it was funny.


Tue May 08, 2007 9:38 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004
Posts: 535
Post Vegetarianism
LibertyMarie wrote:
umm, see, I don't see what's wrong with being a hippie. :-)

Hippies are great.... As is being conservation-minded. You ROCK!

Hugatree - you're male? I am so confused. These boards are becoming too intense for me in my old age....


Tue May 08, 2007 11:31 am
Profile WWW
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006
Posts: 4134
Location: Columbia, MO
Post Vegetarianism
His name is Micheal McClellan, and he's a Truman player.


Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 pm
Profile

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
Hugatree - you're male?


Yes... I'm confused, do I appear androgynous? :wacko:


Tue May 08, 2007 7:34 pm
Profile

Joined: Wed Dec 01, 2004
Posts: 535
Post Vegetarianism
hugatree1715 wrote:
Quote:
Hugatree - you're male?


Yes... I'm confused, do I appear androgynous?

No, lol. I just assumed you were a girl, although thinking back I'm not sure why. Very sincere apologies. You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....


Tue May 08, 2007 11:25 pm
Profile WWW
Online
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2004
Posts: 6322
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Vegetarianism
flycaitiee69 wrote:
No, lol. I just assumed you were a girl, although thinking back I'm not sure why. Very sincere apologies. You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....

For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.


Wed May 09, 2007 12:12 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004
Posts: 2416
Location: MO
Post Vegetarianism
Um, to make Caitlin feel better but not Michael: yeah, I assumed that, too, at first. maybe it's the screen name?


Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 am
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007
Posts: 276
Location: Springfield, IL / Kirksville, MO
Post Vegetarianism
ScoBo1987 wrote:
For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.

Dude, it hasn't been NMSU since July 1 1996. Get with the times, foo! We actually like our name now. (Which may or may not happen 10 years from now with MUST). For clarification purposes, you should just say Truman St or Truman HS.

flycaitiee69 wrote:
You go to Truman, though? That makes me feel even worse, ha. I really should have joined ACO. Alas. Perhaps next year....

Yes, you should have. :) I can e-mail you the practice times for the Fall semester if you'd like :P

And for what's it worth, Michael, I assumed you were a guy.


Wed May 09, 2007 10:08 am
Profile WWW

Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007
Posts: 212
Post Vegetarianism
Quote:
Um, to make Caitlin feel better but not Michael: yeah, I assumed that, too, at first. maybe it's the screen name?


Honestly, it's not a problem; I don't think there's been much use of gender-specific pronouns around me, or any other clues that may give my gender away. If you don't believe that I am of the male persuasion, you could always check me out: My Facebook (though in some of my pictures from a few months ago, I have some long hair, not too long, but...)


Wed May 09, 2007 12:50 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007
Posts: 80
Location: Tarkio, MO
Post Vegetarianism
It's a conspiracy! The vegetable and fruit farmers have a hold on the government! They finance the vegetarian industry!

Seriously though, I think the dairy and corn lobbies are significantly stronger.

And even more seriously, I don't think I could go vegetarian, but we do have a vegetarian on our team now. I think she's possibly the first vegetarian I've ever met, which says a lot about how sheltered, isolated, and backward I am up here in the northwest corner two miles from the border with Iowa (not sure about the distance, but yeah...)


Wed May 09, 2007 3:06 pm
Profile
User avatar

Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004
Posts: 5675
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Vegetarianism
ecks wrote:
ScoBo1987 wrote:
For clarification, he's a sophomore at Truman High School, not NMSU.

Dude, it hasn't been NMSU since July 1 1996. Get with the times, foo! We actually like our name now. (Which may or may not happen 10 years from now with MUST).

Tell that to Mom! (NMSU Class of '84) She keeps insisting on using the NMSU name!


Wed May 09, 2007 5:46 pm
Profile

Joined: Thu Mar 16, 2006
Posts: 433
Location: Vienna, VA
Post Vegetarianism
I just had some Popeye's chicken for lunch. That was some good stuff.


Thu May 10, 2007 9:10 am
Profile YIM

Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007
Posts: 86
Location: Kirksville
Post Vegetarianism
Aerodotus wrote:
It's a conspiracy! The vegetable and fruit farmers have a hold on the government! They finance the vegetarian industry!

Seriously though, I think the dairy and corn lobbies are significantly stronger.

And even more seriously, I don't think I could go vegetarian, but we do have a vegetarian on our team now. I think she's possibly the first vegetarian I've ever met, which says a lot about how sheltered, isolated, and backward I am up here in the northwest corner two miles from the border with Iowa (not sure about the distance, but yeah...)

Actually, the FDA is paid generously by the beef/milk/etc. industries, I believe, and this probably contributed to the government's claims that meat is "essential" to a healthy diet. Actually, I've heard of a man whose cholesterol went from 130 to 250+ after he went on the Atkins diet, and returned to 130 shortly after he stopped.

Northwest corner, two miles from Iowa? Where's that? Kirksville is probably more isolated than you... I don't think there are any cities of 100,000 or more within 150 miles, though Columbia (90 miles) is close to 100k.

-Ravi


Thu May 10, 2007 7:55 pm
Profile

Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2004
Posts: 5401
Location: Gower
Post Vegetarianism
No kirksville isn't isolated. Anyone who thinks that is just plain dumb.

Tarkio on the other hand Isolated.


Thu May 10, 2007 8:08 pm
Profile WWW
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Forum style by STSoftware for PTF.
Translated by Maël Soucaze © 2010 phpBB.fr