Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Congratulations Liberty!

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
FZW Coach

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by FZW Coach »

I read read in the paper this morning that Liberty High School won the Class 5 Girls Basketball State Championship defeating Hazelwood East 56 - 46. Since so many Blue Jays read this board, I just wanted to express my congratulations.

In other news:

Fort Zumwalt South finished 3rd in Class 5 Boys Basketball.
Lindbergh High School finished 4th. I read in yesterday's paper that Lindbergh last made it to the final four 50 years ago when they played North Kansas City for the state championship.

McCluer North won the Class 5 Boys Basketball State Title. My sister is the mathematics department chair at this North St. Louis County school. They will be quite excited about it Monday morning.

St. Charles High School finished 4th in Class 4. Both FZS and St. Charles are members of the Gateway Athletic Conference.

The Fort Zumwalt school district has only won one state title - 1995 Boys Cross Country (FZS). FZW has finished 2nd in wrestling each of the last 3 years (with Oak Park always grabbing the state title). FZW girl's soccer finished 2nd in the state last year, but Incarnate Word was too powerful.

The story in the paper says that Liberty won the Boys Basketball title in 1998. I know you all won the 2003 and 2005 State Academic Competitions. Any other state titles?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Girls won cross country this year, and the guys won track in 1923, 1924, 1999 and 2001.
Baseball 2002
Softball 2004

Non-MSHSAA wise:
State STUCO President (translation: host school) in 1957 and 2003
State STUCO Secretary in 1998
Division III Scholar Bowl in 1993 (MSHSAA took over in 1995)

johnboy81918

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by johnboy81918 »

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Girls won cross country this year, and the guys won track in 1923, 1924, 1999 and 2001.
Baseball 2002
Softball 2004

Non-MSHSAA wise:
State STUCO President (translation: host school) in 1957 and 2003
State STUCO Secretary in 1998
Division III Scholar Bowl in 1993 (MSHSAA took over in 1995)
You missed boys' cross country in 2003 and 2004.

Oh, and not that it's too significant but I moved this thread from the Discussion board

KentB

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by KentB »

The Notre Dame boys got second in class 4 behind Ruskin in a closely fought contest. That would be the second trip to the final four in three years and I would expect the same next year with only one senior graduating.

They also won the Class 2 (I think) soccer championship and 3rd in CC. It´s been a pretty good year for them, I´d say.

Charlie Dees

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Charlie Dees »

NKC has hardly any state championships. I think the most recent MSHSAA state championship (or final 4, for that matter) was when we won Academic Competition in 1999. I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

We do have some final 4 pommie teams recently. The pommies are always hot hot hot, but a little skanky. During assemblies I find myself thinking "they're allowed to do that?"

MikeWormdog

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by MikeWormdog »

FZW Coach wrote:
In other news:

Fort Zumwalt South finished 3rd in Class 5 Boys Basketball.
Lindbergh High School finished 4th. I read in yesterday's paper that Lindbergh last made it to the final four 50 years ago when they played North Kansas City for the state championship.

McCluer North won the Class 5 Boys Basketball State Title. My sister is the mathematics department chair at this North St. Louis County school. They will be quite excited about it Monday morning.

Interesting. NKC lost that game in 1957, and that's the school's best ever finish in basketball. The trophy is pretty cool. The biggest "recent" thing in NKC's basketball history was when they beat Rockhurst at districts in the very early 90s. How did they win? They kept the ball for minutes on end, refusing to let a basketball game break out.

NKC's only athletic state championships in its 80+ year history were (at least until recently) girls' track in 1977 and 1990, and I think one in cheerleading in the last five-ten years or so. It's hard to fathom how the school's been so consistently terrible at sports for eight plus decades, especially when Oak Park and Winnetonka, both of which spun off from NKC, have won multiple state titles. I don't think Northtown has beaten Oak Park in football since Oak Park came into existence around 40 years ago (unless they won a game in the past couple years), and they play every year. It has to be difficult to be that awful, year in and year out.

To Charlie...the pommies have always been fairly skanky.

My girlfriend went to McCluer North...they've been pretty successful the last several years in football and basketball.

Charlie Dees

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Charlie Dees »

The pommies are every NKC male's fantasy. Even gay guys. It's even weirder that this year's batch have a lot of goodie-goodies in the regular world, but they let loose in their routines.
I think NKC may have beaten Oak Park once in the last 10 years. This year they lost 14-13 with a really stupid ruling. I was there and I was cussing like a sailor, because we were ahead until closer to the end.

DeckardCain

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by DeckardCain »

I believe this is a complete list for Viburnum:

Academic Competition
2nd - 1 (2004)

Cross Country
1st - 1 (1986)
2nd, 3rd, 4th - several (9 total trophies in CC, I believe)

Girls' Basketball
4th - 1 (1986?)

Golf
2nd, 3rd, 4th - 1 of each (1998, 1999, and 2000, but I forget which place was in which year)

Track and Field
1st - 1 (2000)
4th - 1 (1999)

Historyman

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Historyman »

Our one state championship was in 97 when our boys won the 1a state basketball title, the next year we went 31-0 going into the final game winning against 3a and 2a schools that year, they were able to go to state and played New Haven, during that game we lost by only 2 points that came to the final seconds (3 to be exact). We put it in our best players hands but he missed the 3. He received a bid to the NBA draft by the way only a few years later. We have only been to state in A-Team which we got third, and finished in the top eight last year. We have also had a runner reach state a couple times along with cheerleading.

S.C.Mitchell07

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Soccer -District Champs numerous times...

Mens Basketball - A 1980 Final Four Appearance in Class 1 I think...

Ladies - Sections and Regionals... in the 90s and/or early 00s; 2006 District Champs

Track- 2006 Ladies Relay state qualifier.

Golf - 1991?, 2004-2005{woo me=5 Man!} State Qualifiers

Ladies Golf - Lyndsey Adams qualified at least her senior year in 2003 for state, her little sister Margaret qualified in 2005 and got 8th in Class 1 Individuals; Tied for 1st in 2006.

Volleyball - nada

Academic Team - 1996 Class 1 Qualifiers (1-2), 2006 Class 2 Runner-Up (4-1)

Theatre/Forensics - Took the play "Quilters" to State in the late 90s.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Historyman wrote: Our one state championship was in 97 when our boys won the 1a state basketball title, the next year we went 31-0 going into the final game
What is with '98 basketball teams going 31-0 (or at least having that record at one point in time)??? Liberty did so, and so did whichever Atlanta team won state in 1998 (a little north of Macon)

Of course, I know basically nothing else about high school basketball (or sports in general) so I don't know if this is what typically happens in HS basketball

Historyman

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Historyman »

well, that is a little piece of school history that I can be proud of.... even if it is not all that impressive to some the whole team was enshrined by the ozark basketball preview which is the first time and only time in the history of the mag. So I know its not that great but it is something for us at fordland to brag about.

Jeffrey Hill

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Historyman wrote: well, that is a little piece of school history that I can be proud of....  even if it is not all that impressive to some the whole team was enshrined by the ozark basketball preview which is the first time and only time in the history of the mag.  So I know its not that great but it is something for us at fordland to brag about.
Being 31-0 going into the state championship is no easy feat. It's definitely impressive; it just doesn't seem like so many teams should go (almost) undefeated in the same season (although it's obviously possible with 4 classes [then] x 2 genders).

STPickrell

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by STPickrell »

No one has run the table in Virginia AAA boys' hoops since 1982 or so.

Warren County (my alma mater) won Group AA softball titles in 1983 and 1984 (I think those were the years). There was a wrestler that won a title in 1992, and we've had medalists at states most years since then. There were some forensics title winners in the mid 1960s, and theater won a title in 1989.

We had some good football teams in the 1950s but no one had thought to invent a state championship at that point. It is kinda odd when you go undefeated and there's no mention of playoff games.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Congratulations Liberty!

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
Historyman wrote: Our one state championship was in 97 when our boys won the 1a state basketball title, the next year we went 31-0 going into the final game
What is with '98 basketball teams going 31-0 (or at least having that record at one point in time)??? Liberty did so, and so did whichever Atlanta team won state in 1998 (a little north of Macon)

Of course, I know basically nothing else about high school basketball (or sports in general) so I don't know if this is what typically happens in HS basketball
Atlanta girls.

And another school from Macon County is two wins shy of 31-0 and a state title: LaPlata. The boys face Bell City this Friday at 4:30 at Mizzou. Should be an interesting match, as their star player (from what I've been told) is the son of Truman's men's b-ball coach Jack Schrader.