Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

a note to mr. kyle hill....

Discussion of non-quizbowl topics
MoundCityBMW...T

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

why you gotta do that? why you gotta mess with chittum and me? just let us write whatever we want about our respective towns...nobody else from mc or clarence even knows how to use the internet. but...i must give you props...i did not think that anybody even looked at those pages...let alone actually read them. you have too much time on your hands sir. when i get bored i "enhance" selected pages. when you get bored...you check/edit the pages of the hometowns of various quizbowlers...that info about "the shed" was completely factual and pertinent to clarence. i will admit that the info about the stick shift should not have been under the "demographics" section...you could have just moved it.

that bit about greg working at casey's is true too. i traveled to shelbina just to witness the social phenomenon that is "loitering at casey's"...not really...but we did do some sight-seeing...and we did race some meth-heads. they're fast. really fast.

jcarkeys

Post by jcarkeys »

What happens on Wikipedia stays on Wikipedia.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I've been to Clarence... actually, I was there last weekend. When I was there last month I almost ran my newly-acquired car into a pole while pulling up to a gas pump at Casey's because I failed to realize how long the hood was (Dad said I missed it by 6 inches or less) - it doesn't help when it slopes down so much you can't see the front (and when you're not used to the fuel door being on the right side)
nobody else from mc or clarence even knows how to use the internet
Pretty much...

Speaking of the Clarence Casey's... how was your "Casey's Strip" Kyle?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

the tracer is no more?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Nope. I have a '96 Intrepid now... only 53,000 miles on it
Got a measly $125 for the deermobile...

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

MoundCityBMW...T wrote:why you gotta do that?  why you gotta mess with chittum and me?  just let us write whatever we want about our respective towns
The overriding concern is factuality and relevance. If it's not factual or relevent to the overall presentation of the article, it's dropped.
MoundCityBMW...T wrote:nobody else from mc or clarence even knows how to use the internet.
False. Grandma hasn't called for pointers, so it's safe to say she knows what she's doing. Plus that's not putting much faith in Clarence's two (yes, count them) state reps.
MoundCityBMW...T wrote:but...i must give you props...i did not think that anybody even looked at those pages...let alone actually read them.  you have too much time on your hands sir.  when i get bored i "enhance" selected pages.  when you get bored...you check/edit the pages of the hometowns of various quizbowlers
Well, you're right. I have too much free time, because I'm blurring free time with my nebulous definition of school work. I was working to adapt the Index's stylebook for the radio station when I needed to double-check the populations of towns within 40 miles of Kirksville. That included Clarence, and when I saw that, I considered it a vanity edit. And those who have even more free time and spend it all serving as editors and admins of Wikipedia are likely to agree.
MoundCityBMW...T wrote:that info about "the shed" was completely factual and pertinent to clarence.  i will admit that the info about the stick shift should not have been under the "demographics" section...you could have just moved it.
As I said, how is it relevant? If the shed were to host a series of campaign stop for Kathy Chinn, Wes Shoemeyer, Claire McCaskill, or (heck) Chief Wanna Dubie, or somehow play a role into a nationally notorious re-creation of "In Cold Blood", it'd be included. Else, it's useless and facetious.
MoundCityBMW...T wrote:that bit about greg working at casey's is true too.  i traveled to shelbina just to witness the social phenomenon that is "loitering at casey's"...not really...but we did do some sight-seeing...and we did race some meth-heads.  they're fast.  really fast.
Again, vanity edits are shunned on Wikipedia, although I must concur with gas station loitering as a popular event in small towns. Saw the same thing at a Phillips 66 in Vienna one night.

Long response short - Wikipedia's goal is to be factual and relevant to everyone. I doubt someone in Denmark would care who works at what Casey's. (Heck, I could ask one right now and he'd probably say "What the heck's a Casey's?")

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

OK, I gotta admit, the 23.09876876689998765235689098766544466098458925498243890234529034582-38523405924758239475294387298572094875204985% being between ages 25 and 44 was a pretty funny wiki-vandalism.

The red rocks bit I'd even keep in the article -- it'd help if you can find an external link about them. I'm guessing this is where "Mound City" gets its name from.

I'm from Virginia and I don't know what a Casey's is. But then again, you guys probably don't know what a Handy Mart or a Sheetz are, either.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

STPickrell wrote: I'm from Virginia and I don't know what a Casey's is. But then again, you guys probably don't know what a Handy Mart or a Sheetz are, either.
Many people in Kansas City or St. Louis probably don't know what Casey's is. It's a midwestern convenience store chain primarily found in smaller cities - the wiki article says 3/4 of their stores are in towns of less than 10,000 people. It's a good strategy too; they're one of two gas stations in Clarence and I'm not sure if the other one takes credit cards (the Casey's got pay at the pump just within the last couple of years)

The only one inside the I-435 loop encompassing KC is a few miles west of where I live (right off of 169)... for the longest time their 10% ethanol (which most, if not all, Casey's have) has been 2¢ more than regular (where everywhere else it's the same or a few cents less) but they may not have it anymore, or they're charging the standard 10¢ more (89 octane) for it.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: False.  Grandma hasn't called for pointers, so it's safe to say she knows what she's doing.
You must think that because you're not the one she calls... although most of them have to do with her camera.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

ScoBo1987 wrote: It's a midwestern convenience store chain primarily found in smaller cities - the wiki article says 3/4 of their stores are in towns of less than 10,000 people.
Sheetz is a fast-growing convenience store chain based out of Altoona, PA. It gets a wiki article. Those places are awesome. Never have I seen so much junk food arrayed in one location.

Handy Mart is a chain of convenience stores that operate up and down the Shenandoah Valley, which is where I grew up.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Viburnum has a Casey's.

DIESEL

Post by DIESEL »

um...preaty much your a pathetic bastard...(Kyle Hill)...yeah I think I found an article on Klye Hill...all it said was F---IN DOUSHE BAG.....Im preaty sure thats factual...but I dont know how relevent it is.....sure hope some one takes it off.....oh and Im sure this will get me kick off or some crap...so too everyone on this board I would like to say I have and an amazing time chatting with you all...and being part of Missouri AC gave me some of the best times in my life

:D

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

DIESEL wrote: um...preaty much your a pathetic bastard...(Kyle Hill)...yeah I think I found an article on Klye Hill...all it said was F---IN DOUSHE BAG.....Im preaty sure thats factual...but I dont know how relevent it is.....sure hope some one takes it off.....oh and Im sure this will get me kick off or some crap...so too everyone on this board I would like to say I have and an amazing time chatting with you all...and being part of Missouri AC gave me some of the best times in my life

:D
You're not the first to complain about my uppity approach to Wikipedia. A couple frat boys at Truman took objection to my reverting their non-sensical additions to the University's article. I called them on it in Media Law class one day and they started laughing like crazy.

Easy on the cursing there, buddy.