Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Clash of the Titans (Ozark-7)

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
S.C.Mitchell07

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

In roughly 7~8 hours the Ozark 7 Conference Tourny will be underway at Southwest High, in Washburn. Perennial powerhouse Thomas Jefferson is the clear favorite, but can Class-2 rivals Purdy and McAuley take down the Class-1 Goliath? Or will a darkhorse team such as Exeter come home with hardware?

Blegh, I'm not good at hypin' crap up. But yeah. That's what's goin on. Need sleep.

ajax

Post by ajax »

TJ is like a machine, a well-oiled one. But they could be beaten, possibly.

Nate Kinast

Post by Nate Kinast »

Well, that was one of the most poorly run (and shortest) tournaments I've ever been to. Final standings were:

1st TJ
2nd McAuley
3rd Purdy
4th Verona

I'm not sure about point totals, but for some odd reason, the rankings before the finals were based on points alone, not record. That was weird.

S.C.Mitchell07

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Nate Kinast wrote: Well, that was one of the most poorly run (and shortest) tournaments I've ever been to.  Final standings were:

1st TJ
2nd McAuley
3rd Purdy
4th Verona

I'm not sure about point totals, but for some odd reason, the rankings before the finals were based on points alone, not record.  That was weird.
Gotta agree on that point. It was good that it was short because we didn't have school after 12:00 today. But, come on, they could have at least mentioned those who got all-conference honors.

Did you guys want to play Purdy in the final round or not? They must not have tried today, we beat them by waaaay too big of a margin in the opening round. Their coach pulled the varsity after the 3rd despite being down 90.

The way they had it set up was all right, but I'd rather play against the other 6 teams and go from there.

Nate Kinast

Post by Nate Kinast »

S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: Did you guys want to play Purdy in the final round or not? They must not have tried today, we beat them by waaaay too big of a margin in the opening round. Their coach pulled the varsity after the 3rd despite being down 90.
Yeah, they must have just been having an off day... and we didn't really care who we played, but it was good of their coach to offer the finals to you guys when they had the scores reversed, since you really deserved it anyway.

S.C.Mitchell07

Post by S.C.Mitchell07 »

Nate Kinast wrote:
S.C.Mitchell07 wrote: Did you guys want to play Purdy in the final round or not? They must not have tried today, we beat them by waaaay too big of a margin in the opening round. Their coach pulled the varsity after the 3rd despite being down 90.
Yeah, they must have just been having an off day... and we didn't really care who we played, but it was good of their coach to offer the finals to you guys when they had the scores reversed, since you really deserved it anyway.
The thing was, that they read the statsheet for round one as our scores for both rounds, despite the fact "Purdy" was written atop our "lowest" score and they assumed our actual score against Purdy was our final against Wheaton. It was really messed up. Don't know how someone can misread a statsheet but who knows.