Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Date of the 2019 SSNCT

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Zurvan

Date of the 2019 SSNCT

Post by Zurvan »

So I was browsing NAQT's website a few weeks ago and saw that the date of the 2019 SSNCT is set for May 3-5, which is the same weekend as has traditionally been MSHSAA's state championship. Curious as to how NAQT came to this decision, I contacted NAQT by email two weeks ago - and followed up again last week - but haven't heard back. I thought I'd read somewhere (granted, I can't seem to find that statement now) that the date was moved to May in order to accommodate the expected growth in the field next year, but given that nearly 12% of this year's teams came from Missouri (including two that return their top scorers next year as possible title contenders in the public division - not to mention the two highest-scoring players in that division), I was rather befuddled by the decision.

Given the impact that the new SSNCT date could have on the Missouri circuit, I figured the date change warranted discussion here to see if others share the same concerns as I do regarding NAQT's decision - or to see if I'm simply overlooking something that renders this whole discussion moot.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Date of the 2019 SSNCT

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

They can't change the date now, as they've signed a contract with the hotel for that date. (I talked to Jeff Hoppes about this)

And yes, they changed the date to accommodate a bigger field.

kstockman

Re: Date of the 2019 SSNCT

Post by kstockman »

I emailed NAQT with the same concerns when the date was announced. I got the same response about increased field. Unfortunately, my AD will not let me register for SSNCT even on the possibility of making state.