Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

UMR NAQT tournament

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
JimmyL

UMR NAQT tournament

Post by JimmyL »

Hey Bill, we got your letter for the March 5th tournament today (we probably can't go to that one due to an economics challenge contest on the same day). Anyway, in that letter, you also mentioned the NAQT qualifier you guys are hosting in February. Ok, can you explain how that does not conflict with MSHSAA rules and what "wild cards" are in NAQT, exactly? That is to say, how does NAQT pick teams that can compete from the wild card spots and how does being a wild card not violate MSHSAA rules?

East Buc & UMR

UMR NAQT tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

MSHSAA rules state you can not play in a tournament that if you win a tournament to move on it is a no no. George and I had are rounds about this (I even brought it up this past weekend at the show-me bowl). The wildcards is the same system the NKC used when they ran this tournament when andy and mike where in school. It is just a loop hole in the MSHSAA rule. It is simple the top 15% in each bracket will make nationals and the rest will be put in the national pool from every other tournament across the nation. Right now we have 8 teams for the march 5th(all before I even sent out invites Jason

:P ) with schools being TJ, Poplar Bluff, Rolla, Salem, and McCluer North. But on the flip side we have none for the NAQT tournament, the reason being Price (which is set by NAQT) I countered by putting in discounts (say I think it will only cost liberty as I told Jeff last night 75 bucks for both tournaments) Jimmy let me know if you have anymore questions. However R(head guy at NAQT) worked this loop hole out with MSHSAA.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

UMR NAQT tournament

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

East Buc & UMR wrote: MSHSAA rules state you can not play in a tournament that if you win a tournament to move on it is a no no. George and I had are rounds about this (I even brought it up this past weekend at the show-me bowl).
Doesn't this make Suburban Quads illegal now?

DavidH

UMR NAQT tournament

Post by DavidH »

If you would, send a letter to Savannah's coach, Mr. Luce about the NAQT tourny. The March 5th date won't work out as it conflicts with Cuba, but I think with convincing our team might be able to go in February.

East Buc & UMR

UMR NAQT tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

letter should be there tomorrow