Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Academic Competition Superstitions

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
DavidH

Post by DavidH »

I know lots of teams have superstitions (not just Quiz Bowl) and have some pregame/pretournament rituals... well just wondered if anyone had any of these... as for me... I've worn the same pair of jeans to every major quiz bowl tournament since my freshman year. You can tell they are worn too... Last year I wore them to state, and almost got a detention from my principal for looking like a "bum" when respresenting my school when he saw the team state championship picture. Anyway another one I have is my tournament beard... I just have red scruff, but it gets the job done. I have brown hair, but red facial hair it's really weird. I know Lexington also brings a little nome statue (spelling?) to all their tournaments as a mascot.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'm not sure if this counts, but we would always eat Altoids before a match, until state, when no one brought any. I still to this day blame this as our reason for losing.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

That reminds me... Luce has Certs with him at every tournament we go to... its hilarious because he crunches them really loudly when we miss stuff he knows we should have gotten. Recently his dentist advised him to stop doing this because I think he has a cracked tooth or some similar problem.

tcarroll

Post by tcarroll »

we have our quiz bowl polos and i always wear a tie... and i have some crazy ties. that's just a tradition, but i have a special-occasion tie for districts and such. It's got kind of a flower pattern, but it's also plaid AND sparkly. it's probably the greatest thing there is.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The closest thing I can think of right now is when Marie wore Ryan's newsboy hat (not playing; keeping stats) during the JV games and they lost the game that Kyle wore it.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ScoBo1987 wrote: The closest thing I can think of right now is when Marie wore Ryan's newsboy hat (not playing; keeping stats) during the JV games and they lost the game that Kyle wore it.
I thought you weren't suppose to maintain such voodoo Mickey Mouse crap! That's my department!

As for me: I've got to dress the right way: black pants, black band shoes, black socks, certain underwear, certain T-shirt, and certain sweatshirt (or similar long sleeved shirt). That and a pre-game prayer.

mujason

Post by mujason »

I usually wear a black Mizzou sweater (I have two of them) or my MU College Bowl t-shirt.

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

hmm...i don't think we have any superstitions....everything we do is pretty random.

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

My superstition was always Lefty, this little stuffed animal donkey my brother got for me. I started taking it on trips, then to matches, and finally it had to be there. So I'm sure a lot of people remember me as that weird girl who carried her stuffed donkey around. Oh, and my senior year I always wore the same outfit and same jewelry to each match, but that was more of a habit than a superstition.

L-Town Expatriate

MissCae wrote: My superstition was always Lefty, this little stuffed animal donkey my brother got for me. I started taking it on trips, then to matches, and finally it had to be there. So I'm sure a lot of people remember me as that weird girl who carried her stuffed donkey around. Oh, and my senior year I always wore the same outfit and same jewelry to each match, but that was more of a habit than a superstition.
Ahh, yes. At Panasonic you described twenty different things.

Cute Avatar.

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

That's my dog, Duncan, he's a miniature schnauzer. He discovered snow today. I described twenty different things about what at Panasonic?

L-Town Expatriate

MissCae wrote: That's my dog, Duncan, he's a miniature schnauzer. He discovered snow today. I described twenty different things about what at Panasonic?
You described just about twenty different superstitions. I can't seem to recall them all.

It was on that same trip I bought my "voodoo Mickey Mouse crap" figurine.

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

Hmm, I don't remember all of them either. There was Lefty, Kim's Mizzou tiger, we always seemed to sit on the right side of the room, and I always dressed the same way, but those are the only ones I can think of. Most of them were probably habits that kind of evolved into superstitions. The only serious one I had was Lefty.

Ramza Goltana

Post by Ramza Goltana »

I always found it effective to make a blood sacrifice to Satan while listening to Metallica's Master of Puppets at maximum volume. Isn't quiz bowl awesome?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Just as little of sleep as possible Matt can tell you about this one

wca

Post by wca »

Generally, we would brush our shoulders off prior to games. You know, that's just how we roll.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Quiz Bowl won't be a sport until we add a fight to submission round worth 500 pts as a 5th period. That would be awesome. First Blood Quiz Bowl.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I have always wanted to try one buzzer in the middle of the room and first one that can get to the buzzer wins hahahah

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I have always wanted to try one buzzer in the middle of the room and first one that can get to the buzzer wins hahahah
Yes... we've joked about that before

(Cue dramatic voice) "Full-Contact Scholar Bowl: 8 players... 2 teams... ONE BUZZER"

LibertyMarie

Post by LibertyMarie »

mmm...not supersticions, per se, but different styles of playing...*cough cough* strip scholar bowl *cough,* whaaaa?

and, yeah, the hat's all I could think of...well, that and voodoo mickey mouse crap...

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

East Buc & UMR wrote: Just as little of sleep as possible Matt can tell you about this one
Yeah, I enjoyed the four hours of sleep I got at OU. (Coincidentally, that's been about my average sleep time for this week.)

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

the lowest was last year at Wash U when Artemis kept me up all night

;) so I only got 75 minutes of sleep and still average over 50ppg

mujason

Post by mujason »

Hey, I got about an average of three hours for each tournament and averaged over 100 ppg for Rollapalooza and St. Louis and over 60 ppg for FOGHAT and TRASH Regionals and about 55 ppg for ACF Fall.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

not really a superstitions though is it jason just stroking the ego again

mujason

Post by mujason »

Well, you put out a ppg stat first.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

showing how well I play on lack of sleep being that is one of my superstitions, oh and this morning (after sending out invites on monday) we all ready have 11 teams hahahah

L-Town Expatriate

ScoBo1987 wrote:(Cue dramatic voice) "Full-Contact Scholar Bowl:  8 players... 2 teams... ONE BUZZER"
Would that buzzer be a Judge or Zeecraft "regular" responder?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

i think zeecraft shows more skill at full contact

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

We got the invite to Rolla today. It's no guarantee by a long shot but I want to go.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

It has to be a regular handgrip one so you actually have to somewhat try to pick up the buzzer to buzz in. Or of course it could be one of the annoying buzzers with the low buzz pitch and the annoying ear-screeching high pitch... that would be fun...

L-Town Expatriate

ScoBo1987 wrote: It has to be a regular handgrip one so you actually have to somewhat try to pick up the buzzer to buzz in. Or of course it could be one of the annoying buzzers with the low buzz pitch and the annoying ear-screeching high pitch... that would be fun...
Then you strangle each other and rip the cord apart. Everyone loses.

Judge.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

well it depends on the two combatants. I mean I think I would win based on speed/size (you can ask matt what happens in IM football about myself running down the field) Oh well we can enforce the cord around the zeecraft if need(and not like Truman and just use electrial(sp) tape on something that should be soldered.. speaking of Kyle I can fix that for you in Jan)

JayChamp

Post by JayChamp »

Hey East Buc
how much is it going to cost to get into the UMR tourney, and do we still get the discount because of matt.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

$35 +10 if you want the questions and +35 if you want to bring a second team

L-Town Expatriate

East Buc & UMR wrote: (and not like Truman and just use electrial(sp) tape on something that should be soldered.. speaking of Kyle I can fix that for you in Jan)
I'll let Scogs know.