Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Worst Lightning Rounds

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
MissCae

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by MissCae »

What are the worst lightning rounds everyone has heard during a quiz bowl match? Before I was on the team, Savannah got a bones of the head lightning round at nationals that is still talked about. I can't remember any really bad ones, only the times when the other team had the insanely easy one and we had the insanely hard one.

DavidH

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by DavidH »

Well... how about Literary Pairs for a title... and then have the questions be: given a male title, give the female counterpart... #1 King? --- Queen... are you kidding me?--- 2003 State JV Semifinal. Anyway another I'll never forget is a holiday/dates round at Liberty beginning with New Years and going in order through Christmas... we lost to Truman of all teams... that was a bad day.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

DavidH wrote: Anyway another I'll never forget is a holiday/dates round at Liberty beginning with New Years and going in order through Christmas... we lost to Truman of all teams... that was a bad day.
Yes, that one. I severely chastised Jeff for that.

As for me, I can't recall any we had, except that stupid choice we made at Savannah (or was it Lee's Scummit North), where we picked 9/11 songs instead of third parties. Nice idea, Howie.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Once again, that's not happening this year. Do you remember if you took math terms (given a formula, name what it finds) or short stories (name the author)?

DavidH

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by DavidH »

We took short stories I think. Anyway we didn't have Kim and Will didn't know lit as well as he does now so it didn't work out very well.

MoundCityBMW...T

Worst Lightning Rounds

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

We chose Home Ec at Platte County last year. We were playing Savannah and we were winning at the half but after our 1/10 performance on the lightning round we ended up getting smoked 550 to 190.